one.

chameleon

Nayeon stared down at the crisp, white envelope in her hand, different from the manila colored ones she’s always receiving for work. She had been anticipating this for a while now, wondering endlessly how her real time reaction would be, not the scenarios she made up in her head. 

 

She bit her lip and pulled the card out.

 

Cordially inviting

Im Nayeon 

To the wedding of 

Myoui Mina and Hirai Momo 

 

And just like scenario number twenty two, the beat of her heart quickened and her vision blurred, but her tears weren’t brought on because of sadness. 

 

It was from happiness. 

 

“That was my same reaction.” 

 

Nayeon jumped at the voice, moving to cover her face when Chaeyoung appeared out of thin air. Her longtime roommate and partner seemed to have a sixth sense of whenever she was feeling vulnerable. It was a superpower, considering these instances were few and far between. 

 

Nayeon rarely did emotions or feelings. 

 

“What are you doing home? I thought you weren’t back until the month was over.” 

 

Chaeyoung shrugged, a vague expression appearing on her face. “Finished earlier than we predicted.”

 

That was a way to say Target Eliminated and Nayeon knew this. She also knew how big of a case Chaeyoung was on and that it shouldn’t have been an easy one to wrap up just like that, but it wasn’t the right time to pry.

 

She had a wedding to get ready for.

 

~~~

 

Blending in, that was their organization’s motto. It made sense seeing as they called themselves Chameleon. Whether they were the good guys or the bad guys, Nayeon never really lost sleep on it. Her job wasn’t black and white and she had made peace with that fact at the start of her journey. 

 

It was a crime, really, how they were allowed to live a normal life (get married, have families, work civilian jobs) on one condition. To stay loyal to Chameleon until death.

 

They were always watching.

 

Nayeon fidgeted in her tall heels, drowning in her thoughts and forgetting for a brief moment that she was here, at the wedding, with Chaeyoung. Present. Here. At the wedding. 

 

It was complicated. A plethora of feelings raged through Nayeon like a particularly nasty summer monsoon. She felt pride and joy for her friends, but a bitterness settled in the pit of her stomach. A sort of jealousy she knew of all too well. 

 

She felt Chaeyoung nudge her softly. “Do you recognize anyone?”

 

They were traveling amongst a sea of people entering the gorgeous outdoor venue on a cliff overlooking the ocean. The picture perfect scenery was impressive even to Nayeon. 

 

“Not anybody from work. Didn’t Mina say she only wanted us to come?” 

 

“Probably a good idea since Momo has no clue.” A pause. “Yet.”

 

Nayeon bit her lip in contemplation, a bad habit she couldn’t seem to shake. “You shouldn’t be saying things like that out loud.” She lowered her voice. “You know how they feel about outsiders.” 

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes immediately glazed over at her words. “How is she supposed to live an honest life with Momo if she doesn’t tell her the truth?” It was unlike the younger girl to be stubborn. Nayeon was curious as to where this was all coming from, but she had an inkling. A tiny one.

 

“She can’t and you know that.” They reached their seats in the third row towards the front. Right behind Mina’s family. Nayeon recognized her friend’s parents and siblings, but a new face caught her attention.

 

A dark haired girl in a pastel pink dress was seated across the aisle with Momo’s side of the family. She craned her neck to catch another glimpse before her view was obstructed by others finding their seats. 

 

Who is that?!

 

“Oh, that’s Momo’s cousin, Sana.”

 

Nayeon furrowed her eyebrows. She definitely didn’t just ask that out loud. “Do you know her?” Chaeyoung nodded, but with no further explanation. 

 

The venue grew silent as the pianist began to play the well known chords of Here Comes The Bride. Nayeon chanced another glance across the aisle only to notice the girl, Momo’s cousin, Sana, looking directly back at her. A delicious chill ran up her spine at the flirty wink that was sent her way. 

 

Oh.

 

~~~

 

When Nayeon first met Mina and Chaeyoung, it was during orientation at Chameleon. They were part of a new batch of agents recruited for the next generation. 

 

Thrown together on missions as a trio often, a bond formed between them and the next thing they knew, they were living in an apartment together in the city. 

 

But to Momo, the three were childhood friends who worked boring office jobs together. 

 

That was far from it.

 

Making up fake back stories came second nature to Nayeon, Mina and Chaeyoung. Keeping it up was something different. 

 

Nayeon felt for Mina, having to lie about her entire life to Momo. They were all in it together since Momo had grown to be their friend too. 

 

“I saw you making googly eyes at my cousin during the wedding.” Momo scrunched her face up to look tough and pointed a threatening finger towards her across the island counter. Nayeon felt the least bit scared.

 

Nevertheless, she raised her hands up in mock surrender. “That was all her, not me.” 

 

Mina swooped in between them, busily cleaning the mess in the kitchen Momo created only a few minutes before. “You better watch yourself when she comes over for dinner tonight.” Momo leaned forward to jab her finger into Nayeon’s chest. 

 

Nayeon cackled at Momo’s silly antics before her words finally hit. “Wait, she’s coming over right now?”

 

“I think she’s really nice!” Mina added, sharing a knowing look with Nayeon. 

 

“Honey, you think everyone is nice.” Mina clicked her tongue at that, clearly not agreeing with the statement. 

 

She had come over to see Mina and Momo’s brand new house after they returned from their short honeymoon. Making herself practically useless, Nayeon fooled around with Momo while Mina did all the work of unpacking and cooking dinner. 

 

A dinner that would include somebody who hadn’t left Nayeon’s mind for weeks. 

 

And as if the heavens was timing it, there was a knock on the door. “Nayeon, would you get that?” Momo crossed her arms, clearly testing her. 

 

Mina rolled her eyes, already heading down the hall towards the front door. “I can’t stand you two together.”

 

Nayeon’s feet stayed glued to the floor underneath her. The nerves crept up on her fast at the sound of Sana’s voice drifting through the entryway. 

 

The two barely exchanged words at the wedding, only introducing themselves before Nayeon was swept away (saved) by Mina. She was so close to crumbling under Sana’s intense gaze. 

 

One would think Nayeon, an international spy who has taken down many crime bosses, could handle being in the presence of a gorgeous woman, but alas. 

 

“That was embarrassing.”

 

Mina had quipped to her after the encounter. Nayeon couldn’t help but agree with a groan and facepalm. 

 

She felt Momo’s elbow jab into her side, bringing her back to the present moment where Sana and Mina were approaching them in the kitchen area. 

 

“Remember Nayeon?” Mina asked. 

 

Sana nodded, a small smirk on her lips with dazzling eyes that made it easy to get hypnotized by. “Nice to see you again.”

 

“Yeah, same.” Nayeon was well aware of how awkward she was being right now. Her crooked smile said it all. 

 

Momo clapped her hands, successfully grabbing everyone’s attention. “Okay, well, I’m starving!”

 

~~~

 

“So, Momo told me that you graduated from the same university as her?” 

 

The clinking of silverware filled up the otherwise comfortable silence while they shared small talk. “She was a huge nerd.” Momo teased with a full mouth. “Always refused to go to parties with me!” 

 

Nayeon furrowed her eyebrows, giving the girl sitting across from her a discreet once over. She was finding that fact pretty hard to believe. “What did you major in?”

 

Sana shifted her attention onto Nayeon after scowling at Momo. “I majored in film.” 

 

Once upon a time, Nayeon had dreams. 

 

Dreams of attending a college, dreams of majoring in something she was passionate about. Dreams of making a proper career out of the things she liked. 

 

“Oh, really? Nayeon did too!”

 

She shot Mina a quick look before remembering her cover story. Sana’s presence was definitely throwing her off her game. Nayeon waved her hand dismissively. “Nothing came of it anyway.” 

 

“How come?” Sana’s gaze was curious, tilting her head just slightly as her hand paused mid air. A piece of meat dangled from her fork. Nayeon gulped, opening to speak before Momo beat her to it.

 

“Sana works in Hollywood!”

 

Sana’s gaze did not waver, still wanting to know the answer to her question. Her expression grew serious, the polar opposite to her flirty winks and smug smiles. Nayeon didn’t know what to say.

 

“Well, I met Mina.” She shot the girl in question a rehearsed smile. “And the rest is history.” It wasn't a complete lie.

 

“Did you two..?” Sana paused, glancing between the two, then over to Momo, who was animatedly chewing on her food. “Use to date?”

 

This was a part of their cover story. “It wasn’t for that long.” Nayeon playfully leaned into Momo. “Nothing to worry about at all.” It was Momo’s turn to scowl. 

 

Sana hummed, an unreadable expression on her face appearing and disappearing in an instant. Nayeon doesn’t allow herself to wonder what that was all about. 

 

~~~

 

“How do you know Sana?” Nayeon figured now was the right time to ask Chaeyoung the question that’s been bothering her since the wedding. While the two were dangling on cords off the side of a building. 

 

Chaeyoung grunted, adjusting her position to stop herself from spinning. “She was at Momo’s proposal. You know, the one you had to miss?”

 

Nayeon was halfway across the world, busy taking down a massive crime syndicate. But of course she would have rather been at the proposal, to see Momo make an absolute fool of herself. 

 

“Did you guys talk?”

 

“Not really. She pretty much stuck by Momo’s side that entire day.” A gust of wind made them shiver. Nayeon wondered just how much longer they would have to wait like this. Their target shouldn’t be taking this long to change floors. “They seem really close.”

 

Nayeon spotted movement through the wide floor to ceiling windows. “I picked up on that from the dinner I had with them the other day.” She silently signaled to Chaeyoung on the count of three. 

 

“You had dinner with Sana?”

 

“And Momo and Mina.”

 

Chaeyoung aimed her gun at the window and shot it, making it easier for the two to crash through the second they spotted their target sneaking around the cubicle floor. “How did that go?” She yelled from across the other side of the room. 

 

They were trying to close in on the tall, lanky man who looked shocked to see them. Nayeon took a quick glance around the office desks, finding a random jar of marbles. She snatched it and dumped it in front of him the moment he tried to run towards the elevator. 

 

With a dramatic, almost cartoonish, fall to the ground, Nayeon twisted his arms back and zip tied him. She felt Chaeyoung peering down at him from beside her. “The dinner went great actually.”

 

“And by great, do you mean terribly?

 

“Yup.”

 

~~~

 

Running into Sana at Momo’s and Mina’s became a common occurrence for Nayeon. She had been staying over ever since she flew in for the wedding. 

 

It wasn’t like Nayeon had a lot of free time on her hands, no, it was more like she was waiting for her next job. And sometimes it took a while for Chameleon to reach out. She wonders if one day they would just never get back to her.

 

But she knew better. 

 

“Oh! I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were here.” Nayeon awkwardly swiveled around back towards the front door. “I’ll just catch them later.” 

 

“Don’t be silly. Keep me company!”

 

Nayeon froze, considering her options. One, go back to her own place to eat take out with Chaeyoung. Two, stay here and wait for Mina’s delicious homemade food that she missed ever since she moved out. Momo had no idea how lucky she was.

 

Or three, do something crazy for a change. 

 

“Actually,” A grin formed on her lips, locking eyes with Sana, who’s eyes twinkled with curiosity. “Want to go out to dinner with me right now?”

 

Sana laughed, a melodious sound Nayeon could listen to forever. 

 

“I thought you’d never ask.”