End

The curse that saved her happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She was the most beautiful being she had ever laid eyes on. She was the only one who could look at her for hours on end and Joohyun admired her for this ability.
The human raised her head and blinked.
“Can I pet them again?”, she asked with her innocent voice.
Joohyun chuckled and took a step closer. “They aren’t pets.”
The woman pouted and touched one of the snakes. The animal didn’t hiss or bit her. It caressed her sun-tanned skin and the human had the feeling it wanted to thank her for just existing; for sharing time with its master. The cursed creature, banned to live on an island. Alone. Her only company being the snakes which replaced her hair and the countless statues of men and women who were foolish enough to connect their eyes with the beautiful but deadly face of Irene.

 

 

The day Seulgi arrived was a stormy one. She walked inside Joohyun’s garden and wandered around. Confused, she was screaming for help but never seemed to be afraid. Joohyun had observed her. Her steps were hesitant and her hands touched everything in her way. As she was trying to make out the path she should follow. Not a single person answered her.
After some time, it annoyed Joohyun and she could feel her snakes getting impatient as well.
The woman was beautiful and dressed in a white and slightly dirty tunica. Simple but oh so pretty. Her long wavy hair was black and the sharp cat-like eyes dangerously gorgeous; the thin lips kissable but dry (maybe from dehydration?); her figure a bit too skinny for her heigh but nonetheless this woman was the cutest person Joohyun had seen in a long time.

“How may I help you?”, she asked in a dark voice.
The woman turned in her direction but Joohyun hid herself well behind the flower-bushes and marble statues.
“Oh, nice to finally meet someone. Please tell me, where am I?”
“How do you get here, stranger?”
The unknown woman grinned and her cheeks wandered higher. Joohyun blinked in confusion. She felt her face becoming hotter.
“Our ship sank, I guess. I was at the Gods mercy to survive but I stranded on a beach and tried to make my way to civilization again. Apparently, I’ve succeeded.”
Joohyun scoffed. “I don’t think you should thank these damn Gods for finding the entrance to my garden.”
The woman widened her eyes. “Why? I smell the flowers, I can taste the fresh air, I can hear your fountain and you have a lot of decoration. I suppose you love this piece of art.”
“Piece of art?” Joohyun frowned.
“Of course. You kept everything alive. You created your own little paradise.”
“What’s your name, stranger?”
“Seulgi.”
The paler woman narrowed her eyes as she saw Seulgi looking around but never focusing on one thing in particular.
“You came alone? Do you really don’t know where you are?”
One of her snakes hissed and she felt the others becoming annoyed.
She received a shake of the head as an answer. “I’m deeply sorry-”, she waited for Joohyun to fill the gap with her name.
“You entered the garden of Irene”, she said with venom in her voice.
Suddenly, Seulgi stepped back and crashed into one of her statues. She looked afraid but at the same time curious. “Again, I must apologize for destroying...ehm...a part of your collection?”, she asked trembling.
Joohyun couldn’t hid her smile. “You entertained me and I know you aren’t after my treasuries or life. Leave now, Seulgi and never come back.”
The human chuckled and the cursed creature looked at one of her snakes who had bowed down to her neck. “Why are you laughing, foolish woman?”
“I’m kind of stuck here on your island until a next ship passes by.”
“Then-“
“And you’re nice.”
“What?!”, Joohyun screamed. Never once associated someone her name with the term ‘nice’. She was a monster; cold, brutal and deadly.
“You could’ve attacked me but you didn’t, which

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter