Always

First Date

The sun has just started to set when Wendy arrived at the museum. She noticed how the shades of dark yellow, illuminated through the crevices in the hallway, towards the lone figure staring at an exhibit.

 

“Hi.” She touched the girl’s shoulder, “Sorry I’m late, I took a wrong turn.”

 

“Don’t worry,” The girl smiled back, forming the curve of the sunset that brightened Wendy. “I just arrived, actually.”

 

“Did you already eat?”

 

“We can eat afterwards. I’m not that hungry, are you?”

 

“Not really,” Wendy closed the distance between them . She can smell the girl’s perfume, its familiar scent put her at ease. “I brought you something.” She took out a small box from her coat pocket; it was covered in a blue ribbon.

 

“Oh you didn’t have to, Wendy.”

 

“It’s our first date, I want to make it special.”

 

The girl smiled, but her eyes had a hint of sadness in them unrecognizable when you don’t look long enough.

 

“Where should we go?”

 

“Aren’t you going to open my present?”

 

“I’ll open it later. You don’t mind right?”

 

“Not at all.” The girl turned for a moment.

 

“I want to show you something.”

 

They passed by a series of exhibits, that all blurred in Wendy’s mind. It all looked the same to her, all of it but the one they’re staring at now.

 

“That looks nice.” Wendy stared at the painting. It was a cliff, overlooking the ocean, and at the edge of the cliff was a girl, all dressed in white. “I wonder who painted that, it’s the only thing that stands out to me.”

 

“Does it?” The girl stared at Wendy for a while. “The paintings we passed by were also made by them.”

 

“It looks so different.”

 

“Yeah.” She reached out to Wendy, and held her hand. “But I’m glad you especially liked this one.”

 

Wendy’s heart started to beat faster, and she held tightly to the girl’s hand, afraid of drowning in her own thoughts if she ever lets go. “Do you know the painter?”

 

The girl nodded, her fingers rubbing the back of Wendy’s palm. As if assuring her that everything is fine, “She painted this before her wedding. I think that’s why it’s special.”

 

“Are they still together?” Wendy asked again, “Her and the girl on the painting?”

 

“Yes and no.”

 

“That doesn’t make sense.” Wendy chuckled. “How can they be together and separated at the same time?”

 

Suddenly, Wendy remembered the girl’s name. The fog in her brain cleared up for a moment of recognition.

 

“Irene.”

 

“Welcome, back.” Irene wrapped her arms around Wendy. “The last time you remembered my name was a month ago.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Wendy sobbed, “How can I ever forget you, again?”

 

They hugged for a while.

 

“Here.” Irene pulled out the box Wendy gave her.

 

She opened the box and saw a wedding ring, with Irene’s name engraved on it, and a piece of note.

 

Her name is Irene, and she’s your wife.

 

“I forgot.” She took out the ring and slipped it on her finger. “I forgot, Irene.”

 

“It’s okay, I’m always here even if you don’t remember me.” Wendy placed the box inside her coat. “I have to make another note.”

 

Irene just nodded.

 

“What is it this time?”

 

Wendy began writing down and showed the note to Irene.

 

April 04, 2014

 

“Our anniversary.”

 

“When my illness becomes worse, I want you to always be there for me. I need you more than anyone else,” Irene folded Wendy’s note and tucked it inside the box. “If I ever forget you...” Wendy couldn’t finish her words.

 

“I’ll take you out on a date again.”

 

“Promise?”

 

“Always.”