Today

The Warmth of June

It was still three hours before the wedding, and Wendy was sitting under an old oak tree, its seat partly drenched from the rain that night.

 

She thought the outdoor wedding was going to be cancelled, but luckily it stopped and was replaced by a cold night breeze.

 

“I didn’t know you’d be here.” Wendy looked up and saw Irene, wearing her wedding dress.

 

“You’re not supposed to wear that.” She smiled at the girl coming down the stairs from the cottage. “It’s bad luck.”

 

“I don’t believe in it.” Irene sat down beside her. “The wedding will continue, whether you’ve seen me wear it or not.”

 

“Your parents haven’t even seen you in that one.”

 

“Mom is too superstitious, and my dad doesn’t seem to care what kind of dress i’ll be wearing.” Irene fumbled with the lace decorating her waistline. “He said i’ll be beautiful nonetheless. Even suggested a garbage bag, it’s cheaper and recycable.”

 

They both laughed for a while, “Tito is right, you’ll look good in anything.” Irene felt warm, and for a moment, forgot it was June.

 

“Do you want the wedding to continue?” Irene asked Wendy, her fingers still playing around the lace.

 

“Are you having any doubts?”

 

“I’m just asking.”

 

“Is it weird I suddenly remembered the time when we sneaked out at class and went to the music room?” Irene nodded, reminiscing about the time when they were younger. “And you thought there was a rat behind the piano…”

 

“I fell and you caught me.” She added in. “We then had sanctions because they thought we were doing something inappropriate.” Irene smiled, and Wendy did the same.

 

“Well, my hand was on your legs and your skirt was ripped out.”

 

“The sisters really thought teenagers are promiscuous enough to ruin a uniform that costs more than our books.”

 

“It’s the silk, underneath the skirt.”

 

“, I must say.”

 

They can already hear the sound of the chickens by the farm, waking up everyone to get ready for breakfast. But Wendy and Irene sat still, trying to understand how they got there at that point in their lives.

 

“Oh hey, remember that time someone accidentally sent us those concert tickets?” Irene looked excited, feverish at the thought of their younger days.

 

“We broke our curfew and got grounded afterwards.”

 

“At least it gave us an autograph of The Kooks.” Wendy looked at Irene, and her heart felt lighter than it could have ever been. “But remember, when you cried that night because you thought you got lost in the crowd?”

 

“Good thing you found me.”

 

“I did find you.”

 

“I actually bought those concert tickets.” Wendy confessed. “But was too awkward to tell you about it.”

 

Irene just stared at her for a while, trying to think of a reply. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

“I forgot to.” The sun was just rising, its soft light caressed Irene’s face. “Should I have told you about it? Was it a piece that would make everything different than it is now?”

 

“What do you think?”

 

“But it all turned out good right? Look at you.” People started coming out of each of the cottage to bask in the sun. “You’re happy.”

 

Irene stared at the person in front of her and waved, then turned back again at Wendy with a small smile. “I still miss you though. Every single day.”

 

“It’s okay Irene. I’m at peace now, and my memory only lives in your imagination as far as you are concerned.”

 

“Is it? You seem so real in front of me now.”

 

“You should probably head back inside, you don’t want more people seeing you in that wedding dress.”

 

“Why did you have to leave me, Wendy?”

 

“It was out of my grasp.” Wendy wanted to touch Irene, but couldn’t.

 

“Why haven’t you crossed?”

 

“I wanted to see you on your wedding day. White suits you, can’t say the same with mine.” Irene’s tears started to fall.

 

“It should have been you, Wendy. I waited for you at the altar that day.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Wendy tried to touch her hands, but it’s the same every time, it just passes through her skin. “It was raining that day, and the driver lost control.”

 

“It should have been you…” Irene kept on crying, trying to get a hold of Wendy. But she was starting to disappear.

 

“It’s almost 7AM.”

 

“Will you be back tomorrow?”

 

“I made a promise, Irene. I’ll only cross if you’re finally happy.” Wendy started to slowly dissapear in front of Irene, “Are you?”

 

Before she can tell Wendy say her goodbyes to Wendy, she has already disappeared.

 

I’ll finally be happy

 

Irene thought, looking at the cliff just over the horizon.