01.

Sunsets With You

She used to believe that once she reaches her dream, she will never ask for more. 

Being a successful lawyer is all she ever wanted to be.

Fighting for what is right is fulfilling, more so when she wins for her clients.

But all that is baloney. She is a human after all. Humans are way too shallow.

She still wants someone to hold her at night, someone to share a cup of coffee with on rainy days, someone to spend lazy afternoons with.

Karina Yoo is a successful lawyer, single and lonely. Which ing , she thinks.

 

-

"Jimichanga." Karina looked up from her laptop and met the other person's gaze. She has been typing nonstop since she grabbed her coffee, her hot chocolate now sat on the table, cold and untouched. 

"When will you ever stop calling me that, Hyelost?" 

"You're no fun. Not a great nickname." “Hyelost” sat herself down on the chair across her and scoffed. 

"As if yours is better."

"It's a gazillion times better, and it's your contact name you know."

Jimichanga, most commonly know as Karina Jimin Yoo, rolled her eyes at her frenemy. "What do you even want? Why are you here? How did you know I was here?" 

"Geez. Slow down with the questions will ya? You're making it so obvious that you don't want me to leave, wifey." Hyewon wiggled her brows, tone oozing with grease. 

"Christ. Be thankful that I'm a civilized person, else I would have -slapped you right here, right now." She picked up her cup and finally took a sip of her lukewarm drink, "Answer my damn question, will you?" 

"Chill, ma." Hyewon chuckled and brought her hand up which was holding her own cup. Iced Americano. "Bought my drink and saw you here, I heard your angry typing from the counter. Tough case?"

"Yeah. Like always." Karina stretched her arms over her head. "Spoiled rich kids are a disease."

"As if you're not one yourself." Hyewon quipped, eyes twinkling with delight when she receives another eyeroll from the other girl. "Anyway, I was wondering if you'd like to come with us tonight."

"No." Another eyeroll earned. 

"C'mon, you're not even going to ask 'Who, Where, When'?" Hyewon paused to take a sip of her drink, "You would've covered all the bases, you know. Miss what, why, how."

The raven hair girl sighed. "Seeing that you're drinking that, I know you're making yourself more alert so you can scan women later at the pub, or ogle, if you may." She received a grimace, "And I know you're coming with Yujin and Heejin, they can never say no to you since you always pay. Oh, and it's only 2jin since Minju is out of town to visit Yena." She finished with a wink. 

Hyewon's left speechless. After a few moments, she croaked, "Be my girlfriend?" 

"Ew, no thanks. I can buy my own drinks." She faked a vomit and brought her attention back at the documents she was typing to check typos.

"C'mon, I promise I'll behave. Heejin sent me a long text just to tell me to not be a 'creep'." The purple haired girl air quoted the last word, "I won't bother you for a week after this, I swear." 

The last sentence made Karina's ear perk up, "How about text messages?" 

"Nope." 

"Tagging me on memes on social media?" 

"No."

Karina nodded her head, tempted at the offer, then finally smirked at Hyewon, "Deal. Better behave or I'll tell Minju you liked one of her exes."

"Dammit!" 

 

-

 

"It's so weird that Hyewon has her full attention on us this whole time." The youngest in the group uttered before tapping on the hand of the girl across her at the table, "I'm impressed you got through to this creep, Heejin."

Heejin, flipped her hair, proud of herself. "Of course, Yujin. Sometimes, this sleazebag turns back into human too." She bumped her shoulder against the girl beside her. 

"You're talking about me when I'm right here. Jerks."

Karina laughed, before taking a sip of her beverage, a mix of vodka and maple syrup, topped with cinnamon. "Deserve."

"So, how's work these days Karina? I hope you're not skipping meals this time." Yujin turned to her, her soft eyes filled with worry.

"I'm fine, don't worry. It's a little hectic these days but I've been trying to eat my meals on time."

"Yeah, she even spilled a little bit of pasta sauce on one of her papers yesterday." Hyewon quipped, "You should've seen her face. It was like straight out of a cartoon!"

Heejin shoved her shoulder at that and Yujin tried to stifle a laugh. Karina then rolled her eyes playfully.

She enjoyed hanging out with this circle at this same pub, these days they were busy doing their own thing, Yujin with veterinary school, Heejin with music producing, and Hyewon, well, being Hyewon. She suddenly missed having Minju around, the voice of reason of this group.

"I'm gonna go get us another round." She announced and the trio cheered, "Last one for me." Heejin booed.

She made her way to the bar counter and nodded her head at the barista.

"Another round?"

"Yes please."

"Coming right up."

"Thanks, Seul." The bartender smiled.

She scanned her eyes across the room, only a few tables are occupied. Not surprising as it is a Tuesday night.

Something caught her attention.

1984 by George Orwell. 

Huh. Weird.

She lifted her gaze from the book that she never imagined she'll see in a pub of all places and she met the gaze of the silver haired girl who's holding said book, tucked in a corner with a bottle of beer.

​​​​​What is she doing here with a book? 

​​​​​​Her mind drifted to Hyewon. 

Is she using that as a tool to pickup guys or girls? Ew. 

contorted itself to show disgust, but she was shaken out of her thoughts when the girl's eyes widened, cheeks tinged a rosy color. Karina turned her head when she realized she was staring, kicking herself mentally. 

"Here." The blonde bartender laid drinks in front of her. 

"Impeccable timing. You're heaven sent, thank you!" 

 

-

 

Weird. 

​​​​​​The only way to describe her night is that. Weird. 

Winter sipped from her bottle, unable to shake the feeling. It felt like her whole character was judged from that one look.

She almost swears she saw the girl frown at her across the room. 

She shook her head and went back to reading the book. Hopefully she can type up a book report by tomorrow so she can get paid. 

Spoiled rich kids are such a blessing. 

The silver haired girl's phone suddenly buzzed, and she answered immediately, thinking it was her "client" but heard a loud voice instead. 

"Minjeong!"

", I swear you're gonna blow my eardrums off."

"Sorry!" She then heard a cough.

"What's up?" 

"Clean up your apartment, will ya?​​​​" 

​​"Damn, Yena. Did you just call me at this time just to tell me to clean up?" 

"Yup. Also because I'm coming over with Minju tomorrow, Bye!" 

​​​​A handful, that's what Yena is. Minjeong sighed.