Chapter 1

When the unknown meets the unnatural. (Wings and Fins contest entry)

 

The world is filled with many mysteries. All the mysteries of the unknown or the unnatural. Everyone on the planet is oblivious to what goes on around them. They only see what they want to see, they hear what they want to hear, they feel what they want to feel, and they don't fear what is meant to be feared. Although, no one knows of the war that has been going on for 30 years. The war of the sky, and the ocean. Wings against fins. They're all around us, we just don't know it. We refuse to believe they are here even though their existence is evident. Humankind refuses to believe in the unknown and the unnatural. 
 
Yesung stood at the edge of his home in the sky and looked down at the earthly below. His eyebrows were arched up, and he wiped the beads of sweat off his forehead with his small hands. He turned 18 years today, and that made him old enough to now take place in the war. He was a nervous wreck, because he's never ventured outside of his father's kingdom.  He's seen a lot in his life. Winged warriors going off on their quest to fight the ones with fins. Most coming back wounded, most never returned. He's seen a lot of grief and tears as a child. Seen a lot of hatred. It never occured to him why things were this way, because Yesung was, in general, a happy person. People would never guess so because he usually kept to himself, and others saw that strange. But if you grew up in the same environment as he did? You wouldn't necessarily be the same either. 
 
"Son.." Yesung heard as he felt a hand set place on his shoulder. He could hear the sound of wings being set peacefully against ones back as he slowly turned his head from the mortal world.
 
"Father, what brings you here?" He gulped slightly, as his eyes widened. He was never used to seeing his father. His father was either off with some of the other Gods, or was doing something about the war. The only person Yesung grew up with was their maid. But she had passed away not too long ago on a late spring night. It was hard to lose someone he felt close too, but it couldn't be helped. Yesung had to be strong for the sake of his home. He couldn't show a bit of weakness. Weakness meant you were vulnerable, and vulnerable was something to be looked down upon. 
 
"Son, I think you know why I am here. Today is you're 18th birthday, and now it is your time to take place in the war. Those damned scaly beasts killed our men, they took our blood! And it is now time to get our revenge!" His father seethed by the growing minute. Yesung winced. He hated hearing his father get worked up, it was actually a very scary sight, and even the world's strongest, and bravest man would cower under the stare of the great God of the sky. 
 
"But Father.." Yesung whined, "I don't want to be part of the war. It's all a waste of time in my opinion.." He started to say before his father forcefully grabbed his face and looked at him. 
 
"You listen to me. These bastards took your late mother. They did things to her. They hurt her, and she drowned right in front of my eyes. You think you've seen pain? You've never seen pain like I have. Don't you dare curse your Father's words. Go now. I don't want to see you again. I don't want to see you unless I can see the blood that has ran through and stained your wings. Go! Return once the king of the sea is dead." He tossed Yesung's head back, and walked away. 
 
Rubbing his neck, he only sighed and spread his wings. He really absolutely didn't want to do this.. but maybe he can just bull his way around the human world. Humans have always interested him, and this was the perfect opportunity to be among them. Taking small steps, he neared closer to the edge and stared down. Why did the sky have to be so far up from mortality? Then he jumped. All he felt was the cold wind slapping his face as he fell through the clouds. His eyes were squinched into a thin slit as the green, and grassy earth neared closer and closer. Finally, he spread his wings, both 4 feet in diameter and shouted in glee once he felt the wind catch beneath him. He soared, soared over the great sea that he'll soon have to come in contact with. He did flips and turns, and other tricks just because he damn well could. He was 18 now. No one could stop him. Finally, he reached the city of Seoul and landed on top of a roof. He stood there gasping for air and waited for his adrenaline to slow down as he looked down at all the people. Everything was... amazing. There was a delicious smell that made his mouth water. There were men that wore all these cool things, and the women were very pretty. There was one man though that has specially spiked his interest. He had short black hair, much like Yesungs, catlike features, and perfectly made brows. This man was sitting at what seemed to be.. what do you call them? B.. Boo.. Booths? Yes, a booth! Street vendors? Yesung rubbed his head. The human world was confusing. 
 
"Yah!! What are you doing up here? You're not allowed here! Get! Get out before I call security!" Yelled out a voice behind Yesung making him jump. He turned around and saw an elder man, who seemed to be in his 50s, walking towards him. 
 
"You have 10 minutes to leave this building, before I call security. Okay?" The man scowled, looking into Yesung's eyes in annoyance. 
 
Yesung only gulped and nodded his head. He turned quickly on his heels and headed for the door at full speed. The man gave him 10 minutes, and he wanted to use that time wisely. Yesung didn't want to know if the man was really going to call security or not. Upon reahing the revolving doors, he jogged outside and marveled over how big everything was. He's never seen actual buildings before. Another man bumped into Yesung, and nagged him to watch out. Then another person, a woman this time, stepped on his foot and kept on walking as if nothing happened. Were humans always this cruel? 
 
"Hey.." Someone whispered into Yesung's ear, making the hairs on his neck stand up. He whirled around and saw the same cat-like guy from earlier! 
 
"You seem lost. Are you new here?" asked the cat-like stranger, his head tilting to the side. The guy was very.. pretty. Very androgynous. 
 
"Uh.. yes! I'm new here! I moved here from.. Mokpo? Yes, Mokpo! Um.. who are you?" Yesung asked, sighing in relief that he wasn't found out. He wasn't sure if any mortals knew of the people in the sky, and if they knew what they looked like. 
 
"I'm Heechul," replied the cat-like man coolly. He leaned his head nearer to Yesung's face, "Hey, you're cute. Are you single?"
 
Yesung blushed profusely and took a step back. Was he coming on to him? Yes he was! It scared him! It was wrong! Has the man no morals?! ...Yet... Yesung kind of liked it. 
 
"Uh.. Heechul-ssi? I'm afraid of releasing too much personal information to a stranger. I'm sorry." Yesung bowed. 
 
He was surprised when Heechul laughed. Why was he laughing? Yesung looked back up, and stared at this weird man who was nearly dying from his giggling fits. It made Yesung was to laugh himself because this man looked simply foolish.
 
"God, you are really cute! The way you blush. Come on. Follow me back home. It's getting late." 
 
Yesung didn't know what he was getting himself into. If only he knew that this man was actually a man of the sea. If only he knew that he was also the son of the king of the sea. Why hadn't he known that they were in Seoul for the same reasons? To make the sea and the sky be painted red with blood. If only he knew.. that Heechul was actually going to get Yesung to sleep with him. Getting his guard down, and sleeping with someone he barely met. Someone who came on to strong. But Yesung didn't know, and Yesung didn't care. Only because he thought Heechul was mortal, and because he found him interesting. They arrived back to Heechul's small home at 9:30 PM and Yesung was in agony. He feet ached from all the walking, and his head hurt from all the busy activity of the city. They walked in and sighed in content of the cool air hitting their red faces. 
 
"The living room is right there, I'll go get you some blankets and pillows that you can use. It's dark out, and I don't want you getting lost in the area since you are new so you'll be staying here tonight. No "If's", "Ands", or "Buts"." Heechul instructed as he walked through the hallway and disappeared into one of the rooms. 
 
Yesung just sat in the kitchen, and toyed with the salt and pepper canisters as he thought about Heechul. Heechul was very attractive, and Yesung just couldn't get the image of kissing Heechul out of his head. Why was he being like this? He's never felt this attracted to someone. It's as if a siren had put a spell on him.. Could Heechul be..? Nah, He couldn't! He was too.. Well hell, even Yesung didn't know. But he didn't want to say Heechul-ssi was a siren. 
 
"Are you hungry," Heechul shouted from the room, "There's food in the fridge that you can warm up and then you can go rinse up in the restroom!" 
 
Food? Human food? Yesung has never tried human food before.. He went over to the closed fridge and opened it. There were many things, such as soup and meats, etc. The thought of food made Yesung's stomach growl but he was too nervous about eating Heechul's food. Especially since they don't know each other. He closed the fridge. 
 
"Hey, I set the living room up for you if you want to go to sleep instead." Heechul said as he walked into the kitchen yawning. You could do whatever you want, I don't care. Just don't make a mess. Goodnight!" And with that, Heechul pranced off like a little . 
 
All Yesung did was chuckle. Ahh, what a long night this will be.