It Was Always You

Hands Locked

A/N: Just a few rules: italic for flashbacks, single lines for small time skips (minutes), double for longer time skips (hours/days/different locations). And if you want to get in the ‘vibe’ of the story, here is a link to the playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2HSbl8f5ZHglEVkPgtMeP6?si=PekvNN0bSHSiA-3Si3SXJw&utm_source=copy-link&nd=1

Please, enjoy the read!



 

Kang Seulgi’s hands were hot – so warm that sometimes she had to soak them into cold water to feel a little cooler, even though she knew it wasn’t a physiological reaction, but rather a much more complicated thing.

Her soulmate had very, very cold hands and hers were itching to help and ‘fix’ this issue.

Her soulmate, however, was nowhere to be seen though.

In their society, having very warm or cold hands wasn’t unusual, considering most people need to wait a few years before they can find their soulmates and balance their temperatures just fine. Seulgi’s parents were lucky to find each other in high school, but most people find their perfect mates as young adults at college or at their first job; some, less fortunate, will have to live through their 20’s in the hopes of finding their soulmate; a few, the very unfortunate ones, would search for a lifetime only to find out they were destined to be alone forever.

As someone in her mid-twenties, Seulgi was currently in the third category – and she wasn’t bothered by it, most of the time. After all, she was a firm believer that things happen in the right time and there was no point in stressing over it.

So, Seulgi’s hands remain warm.

There was a lot more to life than romance and for the young Kang, she wanted to explore all she could before thinking about the future commitments. She didn’t hate the idea of getting married and having a few kids – that may inherit her bear-like features –, a dog and a house in a nice place. The image looked good in her mind, but she didn’t want to have too many expectations that may ruin her reality.

Therefore, she kept herself occupied in many ways. Working a job she loved – illustrating book covers and working on her own paintings every now and then –, volunteering at an animal shelter where she got to pet all sort of cute dogs and cats that would never be allowed in her apartment building; going out with her loud, yet loving friends and family; using her days off to travel to nearby places to take pictures and enjoy the nature – just like she was doing now.

Stopping by one of the huge trees that permeated the narrow path towards the top of the mountain, Kang smiled to herself as she looked up to see the sunlight peeking through the leaves of the tall trees. The mountain they were at wasn’t very far from Seoul, yet it felt like a different world, and even if it was just a ‘bonding trip’ for the team, it was surely much nicer than a day at the office.

Seulgi was living to the fullest and she hoped her soulmate was doing the same.

“Ah! Fuc…fudge!” Someone behind her mumbled to herself, the feminine voice that was nice and clear, also carried a very clear note of annoyance and more than just a hint of frustration.

Needless to say, Bae Joohyun wasn’t having the time of her life.

“Are you fine, Joohyun?” Seulgi asked with a hint of concern in her usually chirp and light voice. Turning around, her sharp eyes inspected the brown-haired woman’s small face adorned with abnormally red cheeks, making it clear that the older woman wasn't exactly feeling great at the moment.

The hike was an idea of their manager, the old man who believed spending quality time together exercising was the best way to keep his employees motivated – he probably said that because he never intended on coming with them, but instead let their editor in chief take care of everything, as always. Unfortunately, the said editor, Joohyun, wasn't very fond of climbing mountains.

Two hours ago, when they started walking, Bae had led them alongside the guide, looking confident and capable as usual. After forty minutes though, she had somehow fallen behind, and now she was at the very back of the group – under the excuse of overseeing the whole group, of course; everyone respected the small, yet stubborn, woman too much to point out the fact that she was the one making the group lag behind.

Joohyun was doing her best and they all appreciated her for it – even though she definitely could use a break.

“I am…fine. Thanks for asking.” Bae replied after taking a breath, trying to compose herself. She wasn’t fine, but she refused to admit it. She had a competitive nature and that damn trail was making her regret being a lazy bum refusing to leave the house and visit the gym more often – now she was forced to do so. Her ego was pushing her to keep going because embarrassing herself in front of her juniors was still worse than exercising. “Just lead the way, I will be right behind you.”

After a moment of hesitation, Seulgi nodded and continued to walk with slow steps – she was the type of person that perceives things easily, regardless of her slow witty for games, she was rather observant when it comes to people. Therefore, she gave her coworker some space, while quietly supporting her by keeping her company under the excuse of taking her time to take pictures of everything.

Joohyun thanked the younger woman silently, a small smile on her face as she forced her tired legs to keep going. Seulgi was with their team for about a year now, a talented artist who was as fast as attentive with her work. She had been a great addition to the team – and to Joohyun's circle of friends as well. They were very different, but Seulgi's calm and caring personality matched quite well her diligent and determined one.

It wasn't unusual for the two of them to stick together in these kinds of events, Seulgi's presence making it easier for Joohyun to relax a bit and put away the polite smile she had to exhibit to everyone else. It wasn't like she hated her fellow coworkers; she could even call some of them friends, yet having to deal with so many people at once drained her energy – introverted things. As for Kang, Seul was the kind of person who was okay with just basking in the silence and giving her enough time and space; just like now.

Today, as usual, Seulgi was her silent supporter.

The rest of the team wasn’t as silent though – in fact, their never-ending energy made them continue to be as loud and annoying as ever as they acted like children trying to see who could get to the top first; it took them another half hour to do so, forty minutes for Joohyun’s tired legs and spirit.

The view was beautiful, with the green of trees and the hints of red and brown of autumn here and there, the blue and gray shine of the sky reflected in the waterfalls; red and yellow could be seen at east, the colors of the temple they would visit later – if Joohyun still had energy left by then. Much further down, gray and white dots permeated the horizon, the green slowly fading as the concrete took over, the city looking small and quiet from up there.

It was quite the sight, yet all Bae could think about was how damn high that place was and how the hell she would manage to climb down that mountain.

 


 

The guide let them rest for half an hour after they reached the peak, most people using this time to eat some snacks and take pictures.

As for Joohyun, she used the chance to rest and look at the view – not too much, it was too high for her and the thought of falling down from one of those rocks by mistake, made her shiver. Her colleagues didn’t seem to mind her quietness, everyone busy with their own stuff to bother her with small talk. She would have to get back into her talkative and polished persona later, as expected from the chief editor and team leader, but for now she could enjoy some peace.

Peace.

Joohyun looked for peace for so long in her life that it almost became meaningless. She didn’t have a terrible life. She didn’t grow up in the worst environment or suffered many traumas, in fact, her family was nice and she didn’t face many hardships. Yet she still had her reasons for preferring to keep it to herself.

Her hands were always cold, her body always searching for the kind of warmth the sunlight couldn’t provide – and maybe, with time, her mind became a little colder as well.

She was thirty now, too old to be single – according to the unofficial rules of society. Old enough to have a stable job, a place of her own to live and a better understanding of herself and her dreams and hopes. Old enough to have found her soulmate – or at least she should have been.

Still, her hands remain cold.

Of course, she was once hopeful and wishful, she made up scenarios in her head about the day she would meet the one for her. As a teenager, she went through every embarrassing stage of delusion. But different from most, she didn't get anything in return for patiently waiting for the right person to show up. Instead, she only got bitter.

There were times when she thought she had found the right person, some cute girl in high school or even someone she met during the holidays back home – yet, all her hopes crashed and burned the moment she dared to touch them; a kiss wasn't even necessary, the simple brush of her fingertips against someone's arm was enough for them to shiver and, needless to say, it was the end of any skin ship she could ever hope for.

It was only natural for her to become less and less hopeful and more introspective. She learned it was better to keep to herself and it was not a good idea to keep feeding any foolish hope of her heart. She couldn't let her delusions ruin her relations with the people around her, it was better to see everyone as a potential friend than to wait for someone who might never come.

At thirty years old, she didn't need a soulmate, she only needed peace.

That's why she hugged herself, sinking into the gray cardigan she was wearing, as she silently watched her coworkers and tried to recall their schedule for the day. It may be a trip, but she was still working and there was no point in letting her mind wander when she didn't have any time to waste.

Hence why she was ready to stand up and ask everyone to gather, so they could make their way down the mountain and visit the temple quickly before ending the day at a restaurant back at their hotel.

Life, however, had other plans for her – plans that were announced through their very enthusiastic, albeit a little impulsive, tour guide.

"Now it's time for you to explore! Just follow the main trail and you won't have any issues!" The middle-aged man said with a grin, which was received with cheers in return. Clearly, the rest of the group was more than willing to try to walk around on their own regardless of how reckless it sounded.

Joohyun didn't even have enough time to say anything before everyone went their own way to try and find the best spots to take pics or even rush down to the temple already. She sighed loudly, silently praying that none of her coworkers was dumb enough to stray away from the trail and get lost – they were in a highly secure spot for tourists, but it didn't mean the mountain was a playground.

"Let me guess, you want to go down already?" Seulgi said as she approached the brown-haired woman. As usual, Kang's voice was nice and light, a hint of playfulness as she gave Joohyun a knowing gaze. Of course, Bae would love to end that damn hike already – if only she could.

"Do you know me so well or am I just that bad at hiding my feelings?" She returned in the same tone, a small smile making its way to her face as she glanced over to see Seulgi's familiar face – the expression on it was also familiar, the charming smile that was so natural to Seul, itit gave Joohyun a sense of comfort. Seul always smiles with her eyes and there was something very endearing about the gentle half-moons that appeared so often on her face.

The smile on Kang’s face grew bigger, the half-moons smiling at Joohyun as the younger woman took a seat beside her. “A little bit of both.” She answered lightly, resting the weight of her body on her palms as she leaned back to observe the blue skies above them. “I know you are tired, but you don’t have to control everything all the time. Look,” She gestured to the blue space above their heads, the infinite sky that Bae loved so much. “It’s beautiful and you deserve to enjoy this moment. We can go after the others in a minute, but first, just relax a bit.”

Seulgi indeed knew Joohyun well – so well, that she could almost tell what the older woman was thinking as the dark cinnamon eyes darted around the place before landing on her for a moment and then finally admiring the sky; of course, Bae was first and foremost an intelligent and diligent person, and her actions and words were always well thought out. Great qualities for an editor in chief, terrible flaws for someone wanting to have a carefree afternoon.

Hence why she raised a hand to lightly pat her back covered by the cardigan, Seulgi’s hand resting on her shoulder for a moment. The touch was light and comforting, as none of them was comfortable with skinship with others, but they were close enough to show their care through physical affection every now and then – as long as it didn’t involve direct contact.

Seulgi didn’t want to see Joohyun flinch in discomfort under the unnatural warmth of her hands, to make her uncomfortable with a touch she couldn’t welcome. Seulgi was used to it, even her clingy best friend, Wendy, couldn’t help but avoid it.

The soulmate system was surely great when it came down to ruin any intimacy between unmatched people.

Luckily, Joohyun’s cardigan allowed her to show her silent support through this simple touch, and soon she could feel the tension on the brown-haired woman’s shoulders disappearing. She was charmed by Joohyun’s brains and looks ever since they met, admiring how capable and sweet the older brunette was, wishing she could someday become as confident and determined. Bae was a sensitive person, someone who cares about others a little too much and often forgets about herself – Seulgi had taken upon herself the task of reminding her that it was okay to take a break sometimes.

“I guess you are right.” Joohyun finally gave in, allowing herself to relax underneath Seul’s warm touch and gaze – she could feel both, intense and full of honest fondness. The cardigan was too thin to stop the natural warmth of Seulgi’s touch to reach her skin, and if it were anyone else, she would have shrugged it off right away – but it was Seulgi, and with her, it was okay. She would enjoy this rare moment of warmth instead of pushing it away, just like she would embrace the beautiful sight in front of her instead of thinking about complicated schedules and meaningless hang outs. “The view is so beautiful. I wish I could engrave it in my brain forever.”

Satisfied with the results of her little intervention, Kang nodded. “Maybe it’s so beautiful exactly because we can never engrave it in our minds, or even in cameras, properly.” She gestured to the camera she was still carrying around her neck, the expensive object that wasn’t enough to capture the perfection of nature. Seulgi loved photography, but there are things that can only ever be experienced in person and no picture could ever capture or transmit the same feeling. “It’s perfect because we are here at this exact moment.”

Glancing at the younger woman, there was a glint in Joohyun’s cinnamon eyes as the corner of her lips went up as she nodded slowly. “Yes, maybe you are right.” Allowing herself to relax, she leaned on Seulgi’s reliable shoulder, feeling her warmth even through the layers of clothing – comforting. “Here, right now, it’s perfect.”

 


 

Closing her walnut-colored eyes for a moment, Seulgi took in a deep breath to enjoy for one last time the place where they were – the clean scent of the pine trees and distinctive smell of earth invaded her senses; but along with them, a very specific scent also invited itself to consume her senses. Gardenia flower.

Joohyun’s very own scent.

It was all too familiar and very pleasant, the gentle perfume that Seulgi had learned to associate with Joohyun even before they were officially introduced – they rode the elevator together on her very first day at the company, Joohyun's beautiful yet cold features giving her no chance of making conversation past awkward greeting, but her flower scent filling the small place so completely that Seul was never able to forget the smell of it; now, she found a sense of comfort whenever her nostrils picked up the scent, her brain igniting with memories of shy, yet sweet smiles and eyes as deep as the galaxy. Joohyun’s scent was just like her looks and personality, alluring and ethereal.

It was weird to think someone as perfect as Bae couldn’t find her soulmate. It was even weirder that someone as gentle and kind as Joohyun had to hide behind long sleeves and thick coats, trying so hard to hide a coldness that she couldn’t control and that didn’t really represent the warm-hearted person she was.

Seulgi wondered if Joohyun could still find her soulmate – having a romantic partner wasn’t everything, but she wished the other woman could have someone she could be completely comfortable around; she wished Joohyun didn’t have to hide behind any walls, be it physical or mental.

Sometimes she wondered why couldn’t she be the one to help Hyun – why have such warm hands when she couldn’t warm up the friend she cherished so much? How ironic, her hands should’ve fit Joohyun’s perfectly, yet they didn’t. She wasn’t the type to hold onto illusions, but it somehow left a bitter taste in – maybe because she never had the time to delude herself. That first morning in the elevator she had also learned that Joohyun was not her soulmate.

Opening her eyes, she shook off any silly thoughts out of her mind, deciding it was time to go.

Gently shaking Joohyun off of her, she stood up, grabbing onto the sleeve of Hyun’s cardigan so she could pull her up as well. The shorter woman didn’t protest, using the chance to stretch her back and get ready to go back to their not-so-pleasant hike down the mountain.

“Let’s just head down quickly. I still have to check on some things with the rest of the staff and they must be at the temple by now.” Bae informed, her practical side back to life as she forced herself to get back to work. Pretty skies or not, she still had a group of loud coworkers to watch over.

As usual, the taller of the two women just nodded with a smile. More than following Joohyun because she was their team leader, she did it because she enjoyed watching Hyun’s dynamic and intelligent self, marching around and being all efficient even when it wasn’t needed – it was cute, oddly. “The guide said we could just follow the main trial, so it shouldn’t be an issue.”

Seulgi – and Joohyun, most of the time – was a little more careful. But the guide had given them the green light, and according to the pamphlets she had read before coming to the trip, this particular hiking route was considered not only safe, but also pretty easy. Therefore, there was nothing to worry about and the two of them could just go on their own.

Or at least, that’s what they thought.

Maybe they should've taken into account two important factors: Seulgi’s habit of getting distracted by playing with her camera and Joohyun's complete lack of sense of direction. Both things added might as well be the worst combination ever – at least for this activity.

“I think we may be lost.” Seulgi was the first to admit.

Thirty minutes into their little adventure, the heat was punishing them harshly for having stepped out of the trail. Joohyun was sweating regardless of her cold skin and cursing underneath her breath as she insisted on keeping going. Meanwhile Seulgi had to take off her orange flannel to try to cool off a little bit, gulping down almost all her water supply as she tried her best to stay calm and read the map on her phone – useless, there was no internet and even if it had, it’s not like someone had mapped every corner of the mountain and uploaded it to Google.

“We are not lost, just…” Joohyun tried, her voice hesitating as she tried to think of a good excuse to explain why the hell they seem to be going around circles for the last few minutes. Of course, she got nothing, but it wasn’t like she was going to admit it. “Just a little bit off the trail. I can manage it!” No, she definitely could not, but her ego was already hurt and being stubborn was something as intrinsic to her as breathing.

The younger brunette had to contain a sigh, not wanting to argue, although it was pretty clear Hyun had no idea of where they were or how to get them back to the main trail. Therefore, she just nodded, using the back of her hand to wipe away the sweat from her brows. “I saw some pictures of the temple and it’s huge. We will be able to see it soon and we can use it to guide us.”

In theory, they knew that they would find the temple eventually if they kept going down the mountain, but it didn’t make things easier. Outside the manmade trail, the soil was much less stable, with rocks all over the place and small holes and depressions here and there, all hidden underneath a thick layer of dead leaves.

They had to walk slowly and carefully, Seul taking the lead as Joohyun rested a hand on her back so they could move safely. It wasn’t very comfortable, they were sweaty, annoyed and there were too many mosquitoes – but Hyun’s cold touch helped to keep Seulgi a little cooler and helped her to keep going.

Joohyun did the best to follow, although her body was never good at handling the heat, and it added to all the exercise she was doing, was taking all of her. She could only imagine how much of a mess she looked like right now.

Grimacing, she tried to strengthen her back, taking her hand off Seulgi’s shoulder, to regain her composure. She wasn’t used to relying on anyone, moreover, she wasn’t used to embarrassing herself in front of her coworkers, even the closest ones. “Seulgi, I apologize for taking us out of the main…” She started to speak, her voice dying down as her steps came to a stop – a forced one. The earth seemed to move underneath her right foot, slipping away and taking her along with it. “Seulgi!” Was all she could say as she felt her whole body starting to fall into the hole she had accidentally stepped on without even realizing it.

Seulgi was still battling the merciless heat, when she felt the absence of Joohyun’s touch, it took her an extra moment to turn her head to the sound of her voice – a second too late to avoid her fall. “Hyunnie!” She called, her body reacting instinctively as she tried to reach out for the shorter woman before she fell – and of course, trying to prevent the accident, only to become a part of it.

Seulgi’s hand landed on Joohyun’s – not her forearm or her wrist, but for the very first time, her palm met hers as she gripped onto it tightly to try and pull Joohyun up. Her hand was sweaty and way too hot to comfort, yet, it managed to grab onto Hyun’s hand just right and pull her up with more rush than gentleness. It worked, as if it was almost like a perfect fit, Joohyun’s smaller hand laced hers and in a matter of second she was no longer falling down, but right into Seulgi’s arms instead.

For the first time, they shared a hug – involuntarily. Seulgi’s back reached the ground as she fell back with Joohyun partially on top of her, her arms hugging the woman tighter in pure reflex, the duo staring at each other in awe.

There was no lightning, no thunder or even fireworks, but it might as well have been, considering the explosion that seemed to fill the both of them at the speed of the light as they fell on the ground together.

The touch that was, at first, just a way of helping to get Joohyun to safety, soon became something much more complex. Seulgi’s warm hand brushed against the cold skin of Joohyun’s palm, yet she didn’t feel the unpleasant bite of the cold consuming her warmth – nor Joohyun felt the unbearable heat hurting her sensitive skin; it was warm, but it was right.

As if the red thread of destiny involved their joint hands, they could feel the wave of energy rising from the point of contact and to the rest of their bodies, the electricity charging every single cell in their bodies, bringing a unique spark to their eyes that was so bright that one could ever miss it. Just like a lighthouse illuminating the ocean during a storm, the signal was undeniable yet so hard to believe.

It wasn’t hot, it wasn’t cold, it was just right.

Looking into Seulgi’s gentle brown eyes that always brought her comfort, now showed Hyun so much more – it was almost as if she could see her future, their future in them.

“Oh!” Letting out an exclamation of surprise, Joohyun pulled back, forcing herself to get away from Seulgi as fast as she could. No, there was no way. It couldn’t be and she would not delude herself. “I’m sorry!” She rushed to say, averting her eyes and closing her hands into tight fists, her heart running in her ears as fast as the thoughts in her mind formed and disappeared.

It couldn’t be.

They were friends for over a year now, and she wouldn’t let her foolish heart ruin it – she wouldn’t commit the same mistake twice.

Fighting her natural instinct that was to check up on Seulgi and make sure she was fine, Hyun turned her back to her instead. “We need to hurry. I can see the temple’s roof from here, let’s go!” She spoke so fast she could barely hear her own words, a wave of nervousness taking over her body as she started to walk without even checking if Seulgi was following – poor Seulgi who deserved better for saving her, but right now Joohyun wasn’t thinking straight.

In fact, none of them was.

Seulgi’s back was still hurting because of the fall and her head was still spinning from the sudden rush of energy she received out of a simple touch – Joohyun’s odd behavior was only making it worse.

"Hyun?" She called, blinking her eyes slowly as she tried to recover. Joohyun had her back turned to her, shoulders stiff and head high as she avoided Seul’s gaze – the younger woman wondered if it was because of what just happened…but what had just happened? It was hard to organize her thoughts at the moment. "My head hurts." Seulgi took a hand to the back of her head, massaging it for a moment – she quickly stopped.

Her hand wasn’t hot, but only warm enough. Suddenly her own touch felt foreign.

“I’m sorry, Seulgi. I should’ve paid more attention.” There was honesty in Johyun’s words, albeit she didn’t turn around to face the taller brunette now. Seul had received the brunt of the fall, but right now, Joohyun was facing a different type of pain that was much harder to deal with – the mental one, the one born of silly hope, fear and frustration that she thought she was no longer capable of. She didn’t want those feelings, she refused to let them control her. “I will get you some ice and painkillers once we reach the temple." Not resisting the urge, she stole a glance at Kang for a quick moment – relief washing over her when she noticed there was no sign of blood on Seulgi’s face.

"It is okay, accidents happen and it’s not like I broke anything.” Seulgi reassured, trying to make sure Joohyun knew she didn’t blame her for the little incident. She was hoping that her words would make the older woman relax a little bit and undo the frown that was now on Hyun’s pretty face. “As long as you are fine, I am too." She completed with a calm smile that didn’t find a match in Joohyun’s face.

Bae only nodded to herself, her eyes leaving Seulgi’s face and once more focusing on the path ahead of them. "Why do you always have to smile at me like this?" Muttering to herself, she started walking without again checking if her friend was following – she wasn’t ready for another sweet smile that would only make her very complicated feelings even heavier inside her chest.

"Hyun, I can’t hear you. Wait for me!" Picking up the pace, Kang made sure to follow the editor before Joohyun’s stubbornness led her to another accident.

Hyun, of course, didn’t wait for her – Seul’s long legs easily caught up with her anyway. "I just said to hurry up.” Letting her rational side take over, Bae kept her eyes on the red roof that could be seen in the distance – the damn temple that she never even wanted to visit, now was the only place she wished to be, simply because it would mean she wouldn’t have to be alone with Seulgi anymore. “We need to wash up and get some food. I'm sick and tired of this mountain."

"You make it sound like the whole day was awful." Making a face, Kang thought that if anything she was the one who should be complaining now – if the latent pain in the back of her head and her dirty clothes weren’t enough to show. But it wasn’t like the whole day could be ruined by a few moments. "Was it that bad?" Earlier, on the top of the mountain, she even thought Joohyun actually enjoyed the little moment they shared. Just now, when she held Hyun close to keep her safe, she thought it felt good as well.

Apparently not for Bae.

"Right now, it is." Joohyun said with a heavy sigh. The fact that Seulgi didn’t seem to understand the real reason behind her behavior made it even more frustrating – although she should probably be thankful for it. Maybe they both would be better off if Seulgi simply didn’t notice it. "Please, Seul, let's go."

Pursing her lips together, hiding the usual smile that was Seulgi’s trademark, the taller woman nodded. Joohyun looked distressed, and she also needed some rest, so it was better to not overthink and just make sure they reached the temple quickly.

Later, when they both were no longer smelling like the forest ground and she no longer had a headache, they would have a proper talk.

 



 

The temple wasn’t that much of a sight to be honest – it was pretty, but when the two women finally reached it there they were too busy catching their breath and trying to find somewhere to wash off, to care about antique architecture. In fact, their hour there went by like a blur.

Seul couldn’t even tell exactly where Joohyun went, but all she knew was that the older woman left her on her own after handing her some aspirin and water. Seulgi knew better than trying to look for her now.

Therefore, she just took a seat in a quiet corner, closing her eyes as she enjoyed the egg sandwich one of her colleagues had offered her earlier. Usually, she would be more sociable, but today wasn’t an usual day – the physical pain went away easily, but left behind many questions and a lot of confusion.

Opening her eyes, her eyes stared at her own hands – same old hands, the part of her body that always seemed to have a personality of its own. Lifting her right palm, she inspected it as if to see any changes – aside from a tiny scratch she probably got earlier, there was nothing different than usual. Yet, it was.

Touching her face, she didn’t feel the nearly unbearable heat that her hands had always emitted. On the contrary, her palm felt slightly cooler against her cheek, just the perfect temperature for the touch to be considered comforting.

The same temperature as Joohyun's hand.

She knew what it meant – but it made no sense.

 

Taking a deep breath, she tried to practice her best smile using the mirror located in the opposite wall of her elevator – seeing her stiff unnatural smile made her cringe. It was her first day at a job she loved and she was as happy as it gets, but now the nerves were starting to kick in.

“Kang Seulgi, fighting!” She said to herself as a way to calm down.

She regretted it right away.

The elevator opened up to reveal the prettiest girl she had ever seen – fine features in a small face, eyes sharp and dark, skin pale and delicate; light brown hair falling around her face and over her shoulders, giving her an elegant, yet distant look; her black clothes were perfectly fitting, but only added to the intimidating image. A subtle, yet remarkable floral fragrance made the woman even harder to miss.

She was gorgeous and the first thing the other woman noticed was probably how silly Seulgi looked like talking to herself. Needless to say, she was now looking even sillier with her red cheeks and awkward smile.

The woman’s deep cinnamon eyes sparked with amusement for a moment, albeit her expression remained sober as she bowed politely before getting into the elevator without saying a word – however, there was a subtle shade of a smile on her face as she took a place beside a flustered Seulgi.

The younger woman greeted the newcomer, trying to get a sneak peek at the ID card she was wearing around her neck – ‘Bae Joohyun, editor’. Great, she had embarrassed herself in front of someone who might be her new boss. “I was just…it’s my first day.” She said, more to herself than to the woman.

Joohyun’s ears were quite sharp though. “I noticed. Fighting, Kang Seulgi.” There was a hint of teasing in her tone, but this time her smile was more evident, pushing aside her intimidating aura to show a warmer side to her – Seul thought she looked even prettier now, and her smile was automatic as she thanked her in a small voice.

However, they didn’t have the chance of making small talk – not with the doors of the elevator opening once more, but this time to welcome a dozen of flustered new employees excited to start their new path in life.

A cacophony of voices greeting them sounded as the newcomers spoke, their heavy steps entering the spacious elevator and making it look small all of sudden. Seul stepped back, her back against the mirrored walls, as she tried to avoid getting her feet crushed by the erratic steps of her new coworkers.

She made a mental note to arrive earlier at the company from now on – a note the woman, Bae Joohyun, probably would take in consideration as well, judging by how evident the discomfort in her expression was now.

Seulgi looked at her through the mirrored surface of the elevator, noticing that the smile from before was now gone, replaced by a stiff imitation that matched the tension in the shorter woman’s posture. Joohyun had her shoulders tense, back pressed against a corner and she looked incredibly small near the loud and impatient people who had just joined them. It was clear she wasn’t the type that deals well with crowds.

It was a feeling Seul could easily relate to – not having found her soulmate yet, being close to so many people was extra uncomfortable, considering she might accidentally touch someone and receive one of those judging looks because of it. Maybe the other woman was wary for the same reasons.

She didn’t have to ask to know the answer.

Once more, the doors opened, this time for some people to fight their way out the elevator; and with the commotion, Seulgi’s answer came in the form of a quick, unpleasant experience.

A clumsy girl tripped on a guy near her, consequently the guy pushed her forward, making her bump into Joohyun and an older woman who was also trying to leave the elevator. It wasn’t more than a second, just one moment where she lost her balance and had to try and grab onto anything to avoid falling face first onto the small crowd of people – it was just unlucky that the thing she had to grab on was someone’s hand.

Joohyun’s hand.

She didn’t have to look down to know she made a serious mistake, the unpleasant heat of her skin rejecting another, the horror in Joohyun’s face was enough to tell – and Seulgi was quick to act. She jumped back, bumping into the people that originally pushed her, trying to regain her balance as she tried to bow and apologize. It was an unofficial rule of their society to not touch people without their consent, even something as innocent as this.

Her first day of work was surely not starting well.

Kang’s apology was lost in the ocean of many voices, as the group of people realized their behavior wasn’t appropriate, especially in front of a senior. The echoes of their voices were still present as Bae left the elevator in the next stop, leaving no chance for Seulgi to properly apologize to the woman.

Later that day, as she reached the tenth floor and finally walked into the small room where she would be working from now on, she was once more met by Joohyun’s enigmatic eyes and patient smile.

“Don’t worry about that, I’m used to people acting like kids in the elevator. It happens all the time. It was my bad for forgetting we would have new people coming in today.” Bae had said, not even giving her a chance of trying to apologize once more. “Welcome to the team, Kang Seulgi. I hope we can get along well from now on.”

And for this, Seulg could only smile and thank her for being such an understanding senior. “Thank you. I will do my best.”

Just like this, that day became just an insignificant memory in the trajectory of their friendship – a small stain that would never leave Seulgi’s mind completely, like a constant reminder that there was a line they would never be able to cross, no matter how much her feelings grew and changed.

 

The phone vibrating in her pocket brought her mind back to the present.

Shaking her head, Seul heaved a sigh. She touched her face once more, as to make sure, but only sighed again – it truly didn’t make any sense, and being alone to figure it out wasn’t helping.

Deciding to ignore the elephant in the room for a moment, she fished her phone out of her pocket, checking who had messaged her. She expected to see Seungwan’s name on the screen, her friend loved to send her random pictures throughout the day – even more now that Sooyoung was with her and would shamelessly spread her own selfies as if they were trophies –, but it wasn’t the case.

It was Joohyun.

But the message couldn’t be any less personal.

“Everyone, please gather by the entrance. It’s time to go back to the hotel.” The message was sent to the group chat where everyone from their work team could see it.

Sighing once more, Seulgi stood up and dusted off her pants. Time to go back to reality.

 



 

Call her a coward, cold or even just plain silly – it didn’t matter, no offense would make Joohyun’s frantic self brave enough to face Seulgi right now. It was already hard enough to try to keep a straight face in front of everyone and focus on doing her work – which she also used as an excuse to avoid Kang at all costs.

Joohyun just needed some time to think. Time to adapt. Time to understand what the hell was going on.

“Hello? Heeeelo? Earth to Bae Joohyun!” The very familiar voice of the nosy brat that was Joohyun’s cousin and the only intern in the trip, sounded way too close, making Bae jump back.

Yerim just laughed at her, shaking her head as if the startled woman was the funniest thing she had ever seen – it was, today at least. Yo, what is up? I have been talking to you for like five minutes and you keep daydreaming instead of bossing me around.” As usual, Yeri just spoke without any hesitation, ignoring the fact that Joohyun was technically her boss and they were still working.

Usually, Bae would rephrend her cousin for talking to her like that, but she was too out of it to mind such minor things.

Stopping on her tracks, she pulled the younger girl aside. They were supposed to be following the rest of the group going down the mountain, but the guide was back in charge and she decided to use Yerim’s presence in her favor. “Yerim, look at me. Do I look different?” She asked in a serious tone, demanding a direct answer.

Of course, she was only met by Yerim’s confused gaze. “Are you worried about your makeup? Don’t worry, unnie, it’s kind of ‘meh’ but I got some stuff on my backpack and we can fix you up…”

Rolling her eyes at the silly answer, Joohyun gave up beating around the bush, and just cupped Yerim’s face in between her hands. “How does it feel? Is it cold?” Normal Joohyung would never touch others, moreover in such a rude way, but she wasn’t feeling very normal today – and it wasn’t like Yerim ever minded poking her cheeks and giving her unwanted hugs. They were family and she knew she could trust the younger girl’s sharp tongue to be honest.

“What? Unnie, you are being creepy! Why would you…” Yerim’s words died down as the realization hit her, the girl’s eyes growing wider as her hands reached out to touch Joohyun’s that were still on her face. “It doesn’t…holy crap, unnie! You found them, didn’t you? Oh my god, I’m so happy for you!”

Joohyun was caught off guard by Yerim’s spontaneous hug, the girl giggling happily and jumping around as if she was the one who just had found her soulmate – Bae could feel a few stares on them, she was quick to try to calm Yerim down before she let the rest of group know about the news. “Stop! It’s not it, it’s just…” She stopped herself halfway, unsure of what to say. It didn’t feel real at all, and she was too afraid of believing it so easily. “I am just testing a new cosmetic for my sensitive skin. It makes the skin warm, just it.” She lied, breaking the hug before Yerim could ask anything more. “Let’s move, we have to catch up with the others.”

Turning her back to the girl, Joohyun tried to keep a neutral expression as she gave a stiff smile to the nosy people that were staring at her now – it was enough to make them a little embarrassed to be eavesdropping on someone else’s conversation and mind their own business.

“Oh the sweet smell of nature and…lies!” Yerim not so subtly sniffed Joohyun’s hair, poking her cheek with a finger. This kid had no respect, really – Joohyun slapped her hand away lightly. “But it’s fine, I will respect your privacy. I’m hungry and the longer we take to go down this mountain, the longer it will take for my belly to be filled with delicious food.” Yerim said, albeit there was a mischievous look on her face as she passed by Bae, waving at her before running ahead to meet up with the others.

Shaking her head, Joohyun tried to not sigh. Now she knew about two things for sure – one, Yerim wouldn’t stop bothering her about it for the rest of the week; two, she wasn’t crazy and the temperature of her hands had indeed changed.

She wasn’t sure if she was ready to accept what it meant though.

 



 

Joohyun rested her elbows on the cold grid of the balcony, her mind too busy to care about how high the building was, lost in thoughts.

She had done it before, experienced the thrilling feeling of anticipation, the hope and the optimism that comes with it – she had met her fair share of failure, frustration and sadness. She had become realistic, or maybe, pessimistic.

But Seulgi wasn’t like most people she knew – she was a friend, someone she held closer to her heart, even if she was never able to hold her in her arms. If she allowed herself to hope, to feel, the deception might be too hard to overcome.

It might be just like what happened to her.

 

She fidgeted with the bracelet between her fingers, watching the tiny purple stones cast light on her school desk – the same desk she would never sit by again. It was the last day of high school, the last day she would be in that school as a student.

It was her last day with her.

Her last chance of confessing. Her last chance of knowing if she was the one.

The bracelet between Joohyun’s hands wasn’t expensive – it was handmade, something she did with a few things she managed to buy with her part-time job salary –, yet it meant so much because it was a gift for her. A gift that should represent all the affection that had grown inside Joohyun’s heart for the past two years, all the feelings that were too big to be kept inside her chest, but she was never brave enough to confess before.

Today, Hyun would take the one step that could change everything and she wanted to hold onto the hope that her gut feeling was right – that she was the right one for her.

Biting down on her bottom lip, she repeated inside her mind all the words she wanted to say, imagining the perfect scenario that would make this day the happiest for her. A smile naturally made its way to her face, a smile that only the first love could ever bring to someone.

A smile that was quickly shattered by the cold reality.

All it took was a simple touch – the gentle palm against her forearm, warm and soft. The touch was pleasant, but way too brief. One moment and it was gone, leaving a scar that no one but Bae could see.

“Oh, sorry, Joohyun. I forgot you haven’t found your soulmate yet.” It was her voice, the sweet and lovely tone that involved Joohyun’s frail heart and strangled it with the shiver in her words – cold, she was feeling cold. If her skin felt nice and good against hers, Joohyun only made her feel uncomfortable. “You never told me you were the cold type.”

Joohyun jumped on her seat, eyes wide, the cold grip of fear replacing the butterflies inside her chest. She looked up to see the face she loved, the pretty features of the special friend she had cherished ever since they first met – it was the same expression she always carried, the gentle smile and the warm eyes, but it was just it. It wasn’t special, it would never be.

Her friend was now hugging herself to get rid of the shiver Joohyun had accidentally given her.

She wasn’t her soulmate.

“I…I didn’t know you were the warm type.” Was all she could reply, her voice small and apathetic – but she did, it was one of the reasons why she thought she could have been her soulmate. If Joohyun had always been careful to never accidentally touch someone, she was extra careful around her – at first out of politeness, later, out of the fear of deception.

How silly of her, she only delayed the inevitable and made it worse.

“I was, I guess? I met someone on the weekend and since then my hands…”

Bae didn’t really listen to it. Her heart beating on her ears loudly, the air fighting to enter her lungs, a numbness taking over her. It was too much. She closed her shaky hand around the bracelet, instinctively trying to hide it, placing it clumsily on her pocket – only to drop it on the ground. The purple stones caught the attention of the taller girl who looked at it with curiosity.

How cute!” She picked the bracelet from the floor, offering it to Joohyun. “Did you make it?”

‘Yes, I made it for you’ were the words Bae couldn’t bring herself to say now. That bracelet was just another sign of how silly she had been. The bracelet looked so pathetic and frail on the floor – just like a mirror of herself.

Blinking, she tried to contain the tears that burned her eyes, forcing a smile on her face instead. “It’s just something I got in the market. You can keep it, if you want.” It was meant for her, keeping it would only be a constant reminder of her heartbreak. Hyun crossed her arms over her chest, refusing the object. “Keep it. You like purple, right?”

“Really? You know I love purple!” There was a smile on her face now, as she held onto the bracelet and her eyes sparkled with a familiar affection – friendship, all that it could ever be. She was beautiful but looking at her hurt more than anything else.

Pressing her lips into a tight line, the stiff smile still there, Joohyun nodded. “Yeah, I won’t need it anymore.”

 

It was a very long time ago, long enough for her heart to fully heal and allow her to develop a healthy friendship with the one that was once her first love. Yet, it wasn’t enough to make her forget about the heavy and bitter feeling of disappointment, the defeatening feeling that comes with deception. She was much older now, but all too wary.

Seulgi had come into her life in a moment where Joohyun no longer expected or hoped for anything. Seulgi with her sweet smile, calm words and pure heart that was so easy like; Seul with whom she couldn’t help but get close to, someone that entered her heart before she even noticed it.

Seulgi who was too precious for her to risk it all by arboring useless hope for an impossible future – or what she thought was one.

The sound of the room’s door opening and closing announced her roommate was back and Joohyun braced herself for Yerim’s teasing and infinite questions.

But instead of her cousin’s mischievous voice, she heard a much gentler one, permeated by an unusual hint of hesitation. Seulgi. “Sorry, I asked Yerim to switch rooms with me. I hope you don’t mind it.”

Joohyun did mind it, in fact, she was completely caught off guard.

The younger woman was standing in the middle of the room when she turned around, the sharp, yet sweet, walnut colored eyes staring back at Joohyun with an expression she couldn’t read.

In the quiet hotel room illuminated only by the dim light of the moon coming through the windows, it was almost as if time stopped. The silence prolonged as the two women stared at each, looking for something that couldn't really be seen – only felt.

"We need to talk." Was Seulgi who dared to break the heavy dome of silence, her soft voice carrying a seriousness full of vulnerability.

Bae averted her eyes, nodding. For the good or the worst, they had to do it – even if she didn't feel ready to do so. "Yes. We do."

With light steps, Joohyun followed Seulgi's lead, getting ready to take a seat on one of the twin beds as Seul did the same on the other – only that she felt a gentle, but insistent, touch on her sleeve.

Kang pulled her closer, so Joohyun could sit beside her on the bed. Too close to comfort. There was no time for silly soulmate etiquette now – perhaps if they had ignored it before, they would've known it a long time ago.

Kang wasn't willing to wait anymore.

“Are you okay? You seemed a little off earlier.” Seulgi asked first, although she could already tell the reason behind Joohyun’s behavior – Bae was the kind of person that deals with stuff on her own and earlier she was probably not ready to deal with them yet.

“I was trying to get things done.” It was the truth, just not entirely. Hyun had focused on her duties, trying to not think too much about Seulgi and what happened between them. With a group of people to look after, she didn’t need to pretend to be busy, they consumed all her time by constantly asking for her help with all sorts of things. But it would be a lie to say she didn’t purposely choose to keep herself busy to avoid talking to Seulgi early. Braving up, she admitted: “And avoid you. I’m sorry.”

“I could figure that out much.” Seulgi said with a half smile, thankful for Hyun’s honesty, even though it felt weird to know Joohyun didn’t want her company when they were usually so close. She couldn’t blame her however, after all, things had changed even if everything looked the same for someone looking from the outside. “I think I also needed some space to think.”

Pressing her hands together, Joohyun stole a glance at Seulgi’s face. Seul always seemed so calm and gentle, even when things didn’t go her way – so different from herself who couldn’t control her emotions and would easily get annoyed or frustrated. Joohyun was grateful for Seul’s sweet personality today more than ever. “Did you?”

Nodding, the taller woman decided that being sincere was the best strategy. She knew Joohyun was the type that takes her time to open up, and she would probably feel better if she knew Seulgi also shared the same worries as hers – or at least, she thought she did. “I’m still very confused. It doesn’t make much sense.” If any, after all Seulg was pretty sure they were an impossible match, but at the same time her heart also insisted on reminding her that she couldn’t brush aside the special connection she seemed to have with Joohyun even before being soulmates was ever a probability. “But we can’t deny what is happening.”

“I’m afraid I know just as much as you do.” Or maybe less. Joohyun’s strong denial to avoid getting hurt had made her journey even more difficult – while some people, like her outgoing cousin, could shamelessly go around looking for their soulmates as if it was no big deal, Bae prefered to avoid it all together.

She also knew Seulgi had a different view on it, an easy going attitude of someone who was naturally optimistic.

“I guess we could try to figure it out together?” There it was, Seulgi’s much simpler and positive way of doing things. If Joohyun would rather run away from the risk of getting hurt, Seul chose to stay and hope for the best. “If you want to.” Kang added carefully. She didn’t want to push it, no matter how simple it looked like, the consequences would affect their lives forever. One is not obligated to stay with their soulmate, but with knowing it, many expectations came.

Expectations Seulgi didn’t know if Joohyun was willing to face. She didn’t know how the older woman felt about it – about them.

However, Joohyun’s feelings were something even herself struggled to understand today. She had worked so hard to block any non-platonic feelings regarding Seulgi, and now suddenly, destiny was playing with her heart. “I don’t think we can just pretend it didn’t happen.” She admitted, knowing it would be useless to delay this moment even more. It was too late, she couldn’t turn back time and Seul deserved to know just as much as her. “We are not strangers, I don’t want it to be the one thing that defines us.”

"It won’t. I know it is all of sudden, but we need to know." And I need to know how you feel about it, Seulgi completed mentally as she glanced at the older woman sitting beside her – close enough to touch, close enough to hug; close enough to remind her that one touch would be enough to tell whether or not they were meant to be. "We will still be us, even if…you know. It doesn’t erase our story. You feel the same way, don't you?"

It was a foolish question, how could Joohyun not feel it? More than the curiosity regarding their bond, Seulgi's question meant so much more. Joohyun felt it, she felt so much and in such a short time – the weird connection that was terrifying, yet so amazing; the mix of feelings pulling her into different directions;. Seul's warmth and care as she looked at her now and made her want nothing more than to believe it wasn't just a fluke.

"I do." She was afraid to not feel it. Afraid of touching Seulgi's hand for the second time that day and feeling nothing, afraid of losing the magic that day had gifted them in the weirdest way. "I don't want to lose you." The confession, a loud thought that escaped , should make it even harder but she couldn't control it.

She didn't have to.

Seulgi felt her chest grow heavier as her brown eyes observed Joohyun looking so small and vulnerable now, seeing the spark of hope and fear in the cinnamon eyes that always reflected her honest thoughts. Bae was thinking about everything that could go wrong, but Seul wanted to think about everything that could go right for them.

She wanted to hope.

Slowly, she offered Joohyun her left hand, her palm open as she waited patiently for her to accept the offer. "Just hold onto me."

The dark eyes looked from Seulgi's face to her open hand, Hyun’s own hands pressed together over her lap. It would be foolish of her to nor try, to refuse to check for herself if fate had finally smiled upon her – a smile in the form of Seul's half-moon eyes.

Taking in a deep breath, she slowly reached out for Kang's hand, tentatively. Her smaller hand sliding into Seulgi's light grip, skin on skin, warmth versus cold – a coldness that no longer existed.

Once more, the feeling of belongingness invaded her like the warm breeze of summer – Seul's warmth that managed to melt every fear inside of her heart.

Joohyun's hand fit perfectly inside Seulgi's, her soft skin brushing against hers, fingers sliding between hers and finding its rightful place. Her touch was slightly colder, as if to balance Seulgi's warmness and make it just perfect.

Just right.

A relieved chuckle left Seulgi's lips as she lifted her eyes from their jointed hands to the face of the woman she knew was destined to be hers. Her smile was met by Joohyun's shocked, yet happy, expression. The smaller woman looked like a surprised bunny as she held onto their hands with her free one, to make sure it wasn't just a mistake.

Seulgi captured her attention by cupping her face gently, making Bae avert her eyes to Seulgi's eyes – fondness and excitement reflected on them, the childish glint of pure happiness. Seul was happy, she was happy for them.

Happy for her – that it was her.

It was Joohyun’s turn to laugh, a laughter that covered any tears her eyes insisted on b. For the very first in her adult life, she didn't hesitate before hugging someone. Bae involved Seulgi into a tight embrace, allowing herself to sink into her warmth and unique scent, memorizing every single thing about this perfect moment she thought she would never experience.

Bae had given up on imagining who her soulmate was or even if they existed, a long time ago. Nevertheless, she doubted she could have pictured someone like Seulgi – someone so different from her, yet who completed her perfectly.

“Seulgi…” She had a lot to say, but the words didn't seem to matter now. She would have the rest of their lives to tell her soulmate how lucky she was to find her – and how silly she had been for not seeing it before.

“Yes, I know. I can't believe it either." Seulgi held onto Joohyun a little tighter, enjoying the embrace that was only the start of a new stage for them – it was worth all the time she spent outside the room trying to gather enough courage to talk to the other woman. Be it luck or fate, she could only be thankful. "I tried so hard to never think about you as more than a friend, even though I have to admit I was quite impressed the first I saw you." The little crush she developed at first only grew as she got to know Joohyun better and learned her interior was as pretty as the outside, but she always tried to ignore it – until now "I thought it could never happen since I touched your hand before and I don't get why it didn't happen back then…“

The words were enough to break the atmosphere, making Joohyun’s more practical side kick in and urge her to correct the younger woman: “What do you mean? We have never touched before.” This she knew for sure, not only because it would obviously make it clear they were soulmates, but also because she was extremely careful as to not touch anyone by mistake – Seulgi in particular. She would know if such an incident had happened before.

Backing away slightly, she noticed Seulgi’s confused expression – ever so gentle and loving Seulgi could be a little slow at times.

“Huh? What about the first time we met?" Seulg blinked in confusion, the memory of Joohyun’s surprised face still clear in her mind. It was over a year ago, but it was a moment she wouldn’t forget.

"That day? You mean at the elevator?" Furrowing her eyebrows, Joohyun tried to think back to that day and it wasn’t hard to understand what was happening. In fact, she had to hold in a laugh when she explained, “Seulgi…you touched Mrs. Heo’s hand that day, not mine.”

 

Every year it was the same thing, a bunch of new people would join the company, be it as interns or new full time employees – and Joohyun hated these first few days and everything that comes with it. Too many new faces, too many people rushing, too many stupid incidents that could be avoided in any other occassion.

She would even go to the extent of leaving home early to try to arrive before everyone else at the office, and avoid the overly excited newcomers. Her plan, however, wasn’t without a flaw. Seoul was still a city with a lot of cars and even more bad drivers, which caused her to arrive at the company five minutes later than planned – still early, but not enough to make her the only one there.

Having to stop by the second floor to pick up something with the marketing department made her lose precious minutes as well.

Result: she was around ten minutes ‘late’ and when she called the elevator, someone else was already there – a newbie at that.

Instead of some loud and over eager intern, the person was a pretty woman a few centimeters taller than her, with an awkward yet charming smile on her face when she got caught rehearsing what to say on her first day. Joohyun wasn’t the type that has a soft spot for strangers, but she couldn’t help but find the woman cute.

Trying to control her smile, she greeted the woman with a simple bow. The flustered stranger’s bear-like ears were red as she returned the gesture, sharp walnut eyes almost closing as she smiled at her. Joohyun could feel the corners of her lips going up.

“I was just…it’s my first day.” She heard the woman say a little too low, her embarrassment still evident.

Giving up on hiding her smile, she raised her fist to imitate what she had seen the woman do earlier. “I noticed. Fighting, Kang Seulgi.” She couldn’t control the teasing tone, but her words were honest. The other woman seemed like the hardworking type and she would probably do well at the company.

Joohyun wondered if she would see her around often – and immediately regretted such a thought, reminding herself that it was better to keep her social circle small and avoid any misunderstandings.

To mark her bad luck that day and make her forget about any silly thoughts involving the adorable Kang Seulgi, the elevator was invaded by a bunch of newcomers that pretty much summarized the material of Joohyun’s nightmares.

Being surrounded by many people always made her anxiety skyrocket, making her all too aware of herself and her surroundings. Therefore, she made sure to try to stay as far away as possible from the new people, greeting them with an overly polite smile.

Knowing pretty well how these things go – many past experiences guiding her –, as soon as she saw the numbers changing on the display to inform it was time for some people to leave the elevator, she instinctively pushed her hands into her pockets, protecting it from any unwanted contact with a stranger; this, o course, affected her balance slightly, but she just pressed herself against the wall to survive the clumsy interns.

Her elevator buddy, Seulgi, wasn’t as lucky and Joohyun saw with wide eyes as the woman struggled to not bump into her and the others. She had to commend her efforts, albeit Kang wasn’t completely successful and ended up a little too close to her.

Weren’t for her quick thoughts that kept her hands inside her pocket and the long sleeves of her sweater, Joohyun would’ve been the one Seulgi bumped on. Unfortunately for Seulgi though, she still ended up touching someone’s arm by mistake – just not Joohyun’s.

It was too fast, and weren’t for the older woman’s voice nagging the new interns, Joohyun wouldn’t remember it so much. Or maybe it was the fact that Seulgi looked extra red and adorable once she realized her little mistake.

Joohyun made a mental note to make sure to reassure her it was all fine once she had the chance.

 

“You mean…It was Mrs. Heo from accountability all along?!” Seulgi’s shocked face was such a cute sight, but an equally funny one and Joohyun couldn’t help but chuckle and nod positively. “But why did you tell me it was okay later if I didn’t touch you?”

“Because you looked like you were about to apologize for no reason and I didn’t want you to blame yourself for a silly accident.” Bae explained simply, only now realizing she might have given Seulgi the wrong impression. “Who would ever think you would mistake an old lady's hand for mine?” She joked, her laughter coming easily now that the burden of doubt was lifted off her shoulders.

Seulgi felt a little silly for never realizing she actually touched someone else that day – she spent months thinking Joohyun was simply not an option, when she never knew it all. She cursed herself for being so slow.; but not too much, after all her clumsiness was the reason behind Joohyun’s bright smile now.

She was about to hug Joohyun once more to cease her teasing, when something came to her mind. “Hyun, if you knew it, you didn’t have any reason to doubt we were mates.” The way they found out about their bond might not have been the most common way, but Joohyun’s reaction made it clear it was as much of a surprise for her as it was for Seulgi – or maybe even more. “Why did you avoid me then?”

If it weren’t for how tightly she had hugged her and how bright her eyes were now as she looked at her, Seulgi would wonder if Joohyun’s reaction wasn’t one out of disappointment. Still, she wondered what was the reason behind her actions.

Joohyun was taken aback by the question, her smile becoming smaller as she thought about how she could explain it – did she even want to ruin this moment by bringing up the disappointments of the past? Therefore, she took a moment to reply.

“I used to think I would be one of the lucky ones that would find their soulmates even before college. But I wasn’t and it hurt a little more than I wanted to admit. With time I just decided it was better to not hope for anything and just be on my own…” Someday she would tell Seulgi all about her first love and the pain of it, but today she wanted to focus on the present.

“I wasn’t expecting anything and then you appeared and I told myself to never think of you as more than a friend.” Bringing her hands to cup Seulgi’s face, she took in every feature, from the eyes that were so sharp yet sweet, to the pretty nose and the high cheekbones, to the mouth that always seemed to be ready to smile…Anyone else would have jumped up and down in excitement having learned Seulgi was their soulmate, while she had jumped and ran in the opposite direction. She had a lot to make up for. “But turns out you were the one all along. I think I struggled to believe my good luck.”

The walnut colored gaze was fixed on Joohyun’s face as Seul heard her attentively – part of her already knew it, although she had never dared to ask Hyun directly about it. Many people lose hope when the years go by and they fail to find their soulmates, many become bitter or even cold. Seulgi was glad Joohyun wouldn’t be one of them – none of them would. “I guess we both were just too clueless to see what was in front of us.” Giving Joohyun the smile that was meant only for her, she pulled her closer leaning in so she could stare into the pretty eyes that were nothing but warmth now. “A very lucky clueless duo.”

As if to illustrate her words, Seulgi closed the very small distance between them, lips landing on Joohyun’s soft cheek, light and a little too long to be a friendly gesture. It was her first time being so close to a girl – her mother and sister didn’t count –, but just like holding Joohyun’s hand, it felt natural and good. By the way Hyun’s eyes grew bigger before a smile made its way to her face, she felt the same way.

They weren’t kids, far from it, but there was a childish happiness in discovering the simple pleasure of being able to touch and to be close to someone you like – a feeling that they both waited for a long time to experience.

In a determined, yet slightly clumsy gesture, Bae’s small hands grabbed onto Seulgi’s green sweater, the soft fabric folding underneath her fingers as she used it to pull its owner back to her. There was a very brief moment where their eyes met, bright shades of brown that were so different but also very alike – just like them – carrying the same sparkle, giving Hyun the answer she had been looking for, prompting her to take the final step to start their new journey.

It was impulsive, and maybe any other time she wouldn’t have dared, still, she didn’t even think twice before following her heart’s desire.

Her lips met the gentle curve of her soulmate’s mouth, filled with affection and a curiosity that was so hard to resist – a curiosity that was easily satisfied, but replaced by a very different feeling.

It was just like coming back home – her own unique version of home.

The kiss was almost shy, their lips barely touching, the gentle pressure only enough to give them the chance of knowing how it felt.

But it was enough.

Seulgi’s arms around her were enough. Her warm breath against her face and the pressure of her lips on hers was enough. The familiar citric scent filling her lungs, just like her warmth filled her body was enough.

Seulgi was enough to make every little thing seem right.

If Kang was surprised at first, her body didn’t show it, being invaded by the same instinct that guided Joohyun. Seul held her closer, kissing her back with more eagerness than skill, allowing all the feelings she kept for herself for so long to evolve into the pure passion that comes with the magical touch of young love. Not hot or cold, but perfectly warm and nice, those were Hyun’s lips on hers that made her smile in between the kiss and wish for this moment to last forever.

Seulgi wasn’t sure how most people feel when they meet their soulmates, she wasn’t sure if there was a right way to describe it or to put into words – perhaps it was unique to each person; but for her, now, the feelings that made her chest light and warm made her sure there was no one else for her but Joohyun.

Seulgi’s eyes mirrored the smile on her lips as they broke apart only enough to breathe, a smile that was met by a similar one on Joohyun’s face, one that reflected the bond between them better than any words.

Cupping her face with a hand, feeling the smooth skin that was just the right temperature, she used her thumb to caress Joohyun’s cheek and leaned in to kiss her once more.

Which was, unfortunately, interrupted by a loud voice that made the couple break apart and look at the door in shock.

“Oh my god! It’s like watching my parents make out!” Of course, Yerim had to show up at the most inappropriate moment. Joohyun could bet the little brat was waiting all along – her cousin looked like an angel, but she was still the mischieveous kid who would terrorize the family with her pranks. “Well, at least now I have some news to tell Auntie Bae and the others.”

“Kim Yerim!” The older cousin warned, but it only made Yerim’s smile grow wider as she snapped a picture of them with her phone before happily leaving the room – probably off to spread the news to everyone she could find. Joohyun sighed.

So much for being a discreet person.

Seulgi, who was still a little shocked with the sudden appearance – albeit it did explain why Yerim was smiling so much at her earlier and so eager to switch rooms; that kid was truly scary sometimes. “Do you think she will really tell your mom?”

Massaging her left temple where a headache started to breed, Bae could already imagine the chaos that would ensue soon. “You have no idea. She is probably calling everyone now.” Seulgi would probably meet her whole family by the end of the month, if not sooner – needless to say Joohyun’s family was a little desperate for an in-law and having Seulgi would probably sound like winning the lotto. The ridiculous thought made Hyun chuckle lightly. “I hope you are ready for it.” She said with a hint of humor, albeit she wasn’t even sure if she was ready to deal with her overly eager family treating them like their personal miracle.

Seulgi, on the other hand, looked pretty happy as she shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. “I don’t think it can be worse than my best friends’ teasing me.” Seungwan and Sooyoung would have a field day with the news, probably camping at her doorstep before Seulgi could even finish telling them about Joohyun. “I think the next few weeks will be pretty fun.”

“You know what? I think you may be right.” Bae agreed with a half smile, her eyes fixed on Seulgi as spoke.

Yes, Yerim may annoy them for a while, her family may throw a party and embarrass her even more, their colleagues at work would gossip for days…still, it didn’t sound so bad – not bad at all, in fact. For many years Joohyun had to learn how to live with the bitter taste of being lonely in a world where everyone else seems to have their perfect match, but not anymore.

From now on, she would have Seulgi beside her and the only taste she would have to worry about was the pringles’ on her soulmate’s lips – but she had a feeling she could manage it just fine.

 



 

It was hard to explain how things had changed, yet it was very easy to identify all the small – and big – differences in their lives ever since that day. From the way Seulgi would wrap her hand around hers every time they met as if it was so natural to her, to the way people would smile at them anywhere they went, as if it was just so obvious they were meant to be.

All changes that even the ever so wary Joohyun welcomed gladly – maybe because it was Seulgi. Surely because it was with Seulgi.

The first small steps that slowly led them to a long life together. The precious time where the invisible lines that divided them for a year, became non-existent. Some people would call it ‘dating’, Seulgi liked to call it ‘their beginning’ and Hyun loved the sound of that.

Yes, of course, Yerim did her Yerim thing and told every soul that was willing to hear, the good news – it included their nosy coworkers, friends and even their families; Yeri’s contact list was as big as her sharp tongue. But none of them minded it, after all, there was no point in keeping it a secret.

If anything, having their relationship known, made it easier to put aside their insecurities and silly shyness. It was time to be a little bolder, a little braver – time to embrace all the good things that their bond could bring.

Therefore, Joohyun proudly introduced Seulgi to her parents and as expected they were nothing but smiles and hugs for them, marveling at Seulgi as if she was a present from the gods – if the relief was obvious in their expressions, Joohyun only rolled her eyes at it, allowing their bear hugs to capture her bear-like girlfriend. As for Seulgi’s family, the reaction was just a louder version of hers – this time, Joohyun being the one that was in the position to only smile and nod awkwardly as her in-laws took turns complimenting her good looks and asking her way too many questions; Hojung, Seulgi’s baby-sister who was way too tall for Seul to call her ‘little’ anymore, also had fun telling Joohyun childhood stories about her sister and all sort of embarrassing things that families love to expose.

Joohyun decided they should all meet someday – but not so soon, she would rather avoid the ‘when are you two tying the knot?’ questions for a few more months; she didn’t dislike the idea, she was just enjoying this new stage for now.

For now, meeting their friends – because Joohyun knew Yerim would find a way to crash their double-date – and dealing with their teasing was enough.

As the couple stepped inside the elevator to leave the office after a long day of work, she felt light and relaxed, her eyes glancing at her girlfriend and finding comfort in her presence.

Moments like this one, that should’ve been anything but pleasant, yet it was surprisingly nice now. Bae never liked crowds, and even now that she no longer needed to worry about her cold hands bumping into people by accident, she still disliked the idea of being close to strangers. Still, today she smiled to herself as she took a small step back as more people entered the elevator, but instead of the cold metallic wall, she was met by the familiar warmth of Seulgi’s body.

Kang naturally wrapped one arm around Joohyun, gently pulling her closer, so the two of them could avoid the crowd of people that suddenly filled the elevator – newcomers, just like that time over a year ago. A smile grew on Seulgi’s face as she felt Hyun relax against her, her small hand resting on top of hers.

Her smile turned into a soft chuckle as Joohyun glanced at her and subtly gestured to Mrs. Heo scolding the group of interns for trying to get out of the elevator in a rush – luckily, this time, Seulgi didn’t need to look to know she was holding onto the right hands.

That evening, as the elevator’s doors opened and the interns left in a rush, the couple lagged behind. Seulgi used it as a chance to back-hug her girlfriend, leaving a kiss on her cheek once they were alone. “Ready to meet the loud mouths?” She asked, guiding them out of the elevator before the doors closed on them.

“I guess so, they won’t stop video calling you if we don’t.” Joohyun replied with a chuckle, remembering the incident early when Seul 's friends tried to use a video call to take a look at her – they were more like her cousin than she thought. The said ‘loud mouths’ were just Seulgi’s best friends, Seungwan and her tall and extroverted soulmate, Sooyoung. They haven’t met before since the duo was in Canada until recently, but as soon as they arrived back at Korea, they made sure to demand a double date. “Yerim may show up though. She was smirking at me again.” She faked a shiver, albeit her little cousin could be scary at times, her company was always fun – even if she would embarrass her.

“They are more excited to meet you than to see me again. Yerim would probably fit in just right.” The taller girl smiled at Joohyun, she could relate to her struggles – Sooyoung had been bothering her the whole day for pictures of her soulmate, while Seungwan blewed her messages with millions of questions and plans for the four of them, as if they were already a big family. No wonder her friends always pushed her to look for her soulmate, it was their plan all along.

Joohyun’s stops came to a halt, her hand squeezing Seulgi’s as she pointed at something at the other side of the street – they didn’t even get to cross the doors of the company before spotting the oddly bright trio across the street waiting for them like kids wait for their christmas gifts. “Aren’t those your friends? I think Yerim already found them…she really is everywhere.” The hint of horror on Hyun’s voice was enough for Seulgi to know their date today would be as messy as it gets.

How did Yerim even know them? The kid was truly impressive.

Holding a sigh, Seulgi contained the urge of running away with her girl before they could be ambushed by the energetic trio. It was a matter of minutes until Sooyoung spotted them with her hawk eyes and alerted her short companions. “Are we ready for it?” She repeated the question, this time more for herself than Joohyun.

Mirroring Seul’s expression, which was something rather common now that they spent so much time together, Joohyun shrugged her shoulders. “Can we ever be ready to face those three? Let’s try to just have fun and hope they show us some mercy.”

“I don’t think they will.” Kang confessed with a laugh, her ears picking up the sound of her friends’ loud voice as the group noticed them. Soon she could see them all running to trap her into crushing hugs and even stronger teasing. “We are doomed.”

Noticing how the tallest of the girls, Sooyoung, was marching in her direction, Joohyun let out a nervous chuckle. Maybe Seulgi wasn’t joking when she talked about Sooyoung’s bear hugs. “If nothing goes right, just remember I love you...But I may still use you as a shield.” She said as a half joke, snuggling up to Seulgi’s side as she smiled nervously at the trio.

Unfortunately, her words only served to turn on the ‘fool in love‘ mode in Seulgi’s head, and Kang had the silliest smile on her face as she tried. “You what?” Just a moment before Sooyoung crushed them in the tightest hug someone could give – followed by Seungwan’s and enthusiastic one. Yerim was too busy laughing at them to join.

And Seulgi took it all with a smile on her face – as for her girl, Joohyun let out a squeal before it turned into laughter as Seungwan and Sooyoung made sure she knew she was welcomed as Seulgi’s soulmate and a new member of their little group.

It was just the first day of many for them as friends. The first weeks for Joohyun and Seulgi as a couple.

The start of a new brighter phase in their lives – lives they would spend together.

 

 



 

A/N: Hey there. Writing for the first time for a ship is always a little weird, even tho I’m not a new writer, it kind of makes me feel like one lol Anyway, like I said, it’s just a simple soulmate AU a friend suggested to me (thanks, Guka!), and I felt like it could be a nice fit for Seulrene. Hopefully it was still enjoyable.

I’m sorry about any and all the mistakes (nazi grammars please go away), see you next time.

P.S.: Playlist is by my friend Jin (aka @gimletrue) who also helped me by reading it first, thanks Jin!