End

Sour Grapes

“Sorry, Yujin-ah…” Minju spoke as she and Yujin walk side by side under the view of a full moon, next to the Han river.

“Why are you saying sorry, unnie?” Yujin asked with a confused look but with worried eyes.

Minju almost never said what she was supposed to say when she saw the look of the younger but she held on her ice cream a bit tighter and decides to speak anyway. “Let’s- let’s end this..”

Yujin stopped walking. “What ‘this’, unnie?”

“This set up of us… I know I told you I liked you first and chased after you but… I don’t think I can do this anymore..”

Yujin sighed. So that’s why she was distant for a while now. “This is all too much to take in.. Can I sleep it off? And can I get an explanation then? I think I deserve that, at least..”

“S-sure.. I’m really sorry, Yujin-ah. Please hit me up when you’re ready to talk.”

 

 

Two days later, Minju received a message to meet at a certain café. A café that she knows all too well. Our favorite café. “That old coffee shop at the alley ways around the company.. Oneiric.” Minju sighed.

Not long after, Minju arrived and there was Yujin, on their spot next to the window with just enough sunlight going in with a somewhat sad look on her face. She’s still so pretty.. I’m sorry, Yujin-ah. Minju cleared and sat in front of Yujin.

“Sorry for taking your time, unnie.” Yujin apologized.

“What? No, no. You shouldn’t be sorry. I’m the one who’s sorry.” Minju replied.

“Well?”

“U-uhm.. First of all, I’m so sor—” Minju was gonna apologize but Yujin cut her off.

“Unnie, I don’t need to be told what hurts me again and again. All I want is an explanation and you’re free.”

Since when was Yujin this assertive… “Alright.. Truth is, I’ve been hanging around someone this past month..”

“While I was preparing for my re-debut?”

Minju looked down and nodded.

Yujin scoffed. “So, because I can’t hang out as much, you found someone else to hang out with and it made you want to hang out—wait, scratch that, it made you want to stop dating me?”

Minju can’t life her head up, staying mum.

“You’re claiming that you liked me since 2019 and only got the guts to tell me when we were about to disband..”

Minju nodded.

“But is that really the case? If you really liked me like the way you claim, you wouldn’t leave me for someone you met just what..? A month ago?”

“I really liked you, Yujin-ah.. Please don’t doubt it, at least..”

“Unnie, how could I not?” Yujin gathered her stuff to her bag and grabbed her coat hanging on the chair beside her. “I’m willing to bet that you didn’t. You only got used to my presence and how convenient it was to date me when the only schedule I had was the MC gig on Inkigayo.. when I still had all the time in the world to hang around.”

Minju grabbed Yujin’s wrist. “That’s not it, Yujin-ah…”

“Am I wrong? Now that I’m busy and don’t have time, I’m replaced, right? It’s not convenient anymore. I can’t bring your umbrella or food anymore when you forget them cause I’m employed again and doesn’t have time.”

“Yuj—” Minju got cut off by Yujin.

“Sorry to burst your bubble, unnie. I’m not young anymore, I’m turning adult in a few months and I’ve got work and dreams I really wanna do. Sorry I can’t be convenient anymore. I’m done being the convenience store everybody treats at rest stops on gas stations on a long trip because I know I’m that destination after a long road trip. Sorry, unnie. We’re free now.” Yujin stood up and left the café with tears escaping her eyes.

 

Yujin and Minju dated after IZ*ONE’s disbandment. Yujin was about to toss her feelings for Minju because the likeliness of them meeting after the disbandment was next to impossible, she was gonna gear up for her original company; Starship’s new girl group but somehow, the night that they were about to move out of their dorms, Minju grabbed Yujin’s hand and pulled the younger into her room saying the older had to say something.

Minju then confessed to Yujin and they started dating right there and then. It helped that after the disbandment, the two of them were the most unemployed of the 12 so they had all the time in the world to spend on each other. Going to cafés, amusement parks, renting bikes to bike around the Han river and it’s vicinity, baking, crocheting... Name it, they’ve done it. They were so used to being together all the time that when Starship’s new girl group’s concept was cemented, Yujin became busy. It’s just been a month when Yujin got a packed schedule, recording and practicing for a perfect re-debut but what she didn’t know was when she’s making her own mark on the world of K-pop, her significant other already managed to replace her. Though it broke Yujin’s heart, she kept on working harder to achieve her dreams, one step at a time, forgetting Minju as she gets busier.

However, when she finally got a day off after in a few months’ time, she grabbed her phone and immediately opened her KakaoTalk. She was about to text Minju that she finally got time off out of reflexes. She was too used having Minju around that she’s the first she thought of. She shook her head and was about to sleep when she received a call from Yena.

 

“Hey pup!” Yena greeted in a cheerful voice.

“Hello unnie, what made you call me?” Yujin asked.

“Ouch, do I have to have reason to call my Yujinie?”

Although Yena couldn’t see Yujin at the moment, Yujin still rolled her eyes. “Yeah, yeah unnie. Whatever.”

“Okay, kidding aside. Are you free tomorrow?”

“Oh, good timing. I have tomorrow and the next day off. What are we gonna do?”

“Not much! Let’s just hang out and see where our feet take us!”

“Okay!” Typical Yena.. spontaneous. That’s what I like about her though. Yujin chuckled.

“Let’s meet at the convenience store down the road where my apartment is!”

“The usual? The time too?”

“Hmm.. is meeting around 11:00am good? For lunch too, my treat!”

“Okay, unnie! See you!”

“See you pup!”

 

 

Yujin’s currently wearing her watch on a haste. “, I’ll be late..” she quietly whispered under her breath. It’s 20 minutes before 11:00 am and she just woke up 30 minutes ago. She hasn’t slept peacefully after such a long time so she took her time to wake up but when she did decide to get up, she realized she doesn’t have much time left to prepare.

“Yujin-ah! Your laces!”

Fck. I don’t have time to tie them. Yujin crouched down and was about to just shoved the laces inside her shoes but Gaeul met her eyes.

“I’d tie them.” Gaeul started looping the laces. “Fix your watch and collar. Your watch’s on reversed, you won’t be able to do anything with that.” Gaeul chuckled.

“Thank you unnie, I’m so sorry you had to do it.” Yujin smiled and fixed her stuff.

“Take care Yujinie!”

“Nae!”

 

Yujin indeed is about to be late but decided to pick a boba tea on a Gong-cha branch near her dorms, nobody can say no to their cravings, right? However, when she’s about to leave. She saw Minju together with a guy. Hyunjin. Her new one, huh? Yujin sticked around, sat somewhere far from them where she could hear them talking.

“So.. How you feeling? I don’t know who they are but they don’t know what they lost when they let go and broke up with you.” Hyunjin spoke.

Huh? Not only did she not say she was dating me, she’s making it look like I’m the one who broke up with her? The audacity.

“She said a bit of hurtful words but I’m okay.. hence why I’m meeting with you now.” Minju replied with a timid smile.

You’re an actress, alright.

“She? So you go both ways? Is she a celebrity?”

Minju shook her head. “Not that I go both ways.. It’s more of, I never actually liked her, she just grew on me that’s why I took a chance on her, I feel like I conditioned and tricked myself to like her too and.. she’s not YET a celebrity. She’s about to debut, maybe next year.”

This girl—Yujin was about to stand up and go over them to stop Minju’s lies but a woman grabbed her.

“Yujin-ah, don’t.” The woman spoke.

“No, I have t—Chaewon unnie?” Yujin exclaimed.

Minju was about to turn when she heard the noise but Chaewon pushed the younger but taller girl away so when Minju turned, all Minju could see was Chaewon’s back, not hiding Yujin completely but Minju wouldn’t be able to tell that it was Chaewon and Yujin.

Minju got uncomfortable, she thought some people recognized her and Hyunjin does she made a decision of leaving the boba shop with Hyunjin in tow.

 

“Phew!” Chaewon wiped the sweat on her forehead sat back down. “I thought we were busted! Why’d you have to shout, Yujin-ah?” Chaewon asked but got no response.

“Yujin?” Chaewon turned and saw Yujin with the look of complete disbelief and.. hurt.

“Yujin? Yujin! Yujinie!” Chaewon called out.

Yujin finally snapped out of her daze. “N-nae? Chae-chaewon unnie? Why were you in my table?”

“Get a grip, Yujin-ah. We were here first.” Chaewon responded.

“We?” Yujin asked and turned to see Eunchae sitting in front of them. “Oh..”

“Don’t worry, unnie. I won’t say anything about what happened or what I heard; I promise!” Eunchae showed her pinky and it made Yujin chuckled.

“Unnie, is this your maknae? She’s cute.” Yujin asked Chaewon.

“Oh yeah, she’s Eunchae. Eunchae, she’s Yujin.” Chaewon introduced the two of them together.

“Nice to finally meet you, Eunchae.”

“Nice to meet you too, unnie! My brother would go nuts if he knew I now know another member of IZ*ONE!” Eunchae replied enthusiastically.

The two older girls chuckled however, Yujin spoke after.

“I can introduce you to Wonyoung too.” Yujin chuckled but it faltered. “Or to another member…” Yujin smiled.

“Really?!” Eunchae asked.

Yujin nodded her head. “Are you free now? I’m actually on my way to see a member.”

“Well, technically I am but…” Eunchae turned to look at Chaewon. “You’d have to ask my leader. Hehe”

“YOU’RE A LEADER TOO, UNNIE?! CONGRATULATIONS!” Yujin hugged Chaewon tightly.

“Whoa.. whoa.. calm down pup, I- I can’t breathe..” Chaewon complained.

Yujin flinched when she heard the nickname and immediately let go of Chaewon. The older probably realized why so she cleared .

“So, you’re meeting a member today?” Chaewon asked.

“Ahh, yeah, unnie. Would you like to come?” Yujin felt a pair of eyes boring holes, staring at her intently. “With Eunchae, of course.”

Chaewon sighed. “Let’s go then.”

Eunchae almost squealed and held on to the both hands of the two older girls and started walking.

 

 

“Yah! Where were you?! You’re 30 minutes late!” Yena complained when Yujin finally walked up to her on their meeting place.

“I’m so sorry unnie, something came up and.. come on, I’ll show you!” Yujin dragged Yena outside, showing Chaewon and Eunchae.

“Yena unnie?” “Yena sunbaenim?!”

“Chaewon?! And…?” Yena asked.

“Eunchae!” Eunchae raised her hand. “Hong Eunchae, 16 and will debut with Chaewon unnie soon!”

“O-oh, nice meeting you kid!” Yena smiled and did a high five with Eunchae before she turned to Yujin. “Well, what happened, Yuj?”

“Unnie, let’s not talk about that right now. How about we go now? We’re starving and Eunchae needs to eat a lot to grow more.” Chaewon spoke, saving Yujin from the interrogation.

Yujin shot Chaewon a glance and a smile to which the latter returned. Yujin felt her chest warm up, Chaewon’s face looked like she was telling Yujin that she always got her. Yujin felt that as long as Chaewon’s there, Yujin would be safe.

“Come on Yuj.” Chaewon grabbed Yujin’s hand gently, intertwining their hands. “Let’s go. Yena unnie and Eunchae already started walking.”

“Assaaa! My brother would die of jealousy, not only am I debuting with her bias, I now know a lot of the members of IZ*ONE!” Eunchae exclaimed.

Chaewon tugged Yujin’s hand. “Let’s go?” Chaewon smiled.

Yujin complied and started walking, letting Chaewon drag her gently.

 

 

“This sauce is so good, unnie!” Eunchae exclaimed after having a taste of Yena’s hotpot dipping sauce.

The older girls just smiled at the youngest’s enthusiasm.

“Right?! Eat up, eat up!” Yena offered Eunchae a piece of meat.

 

The group of Yena, Eunchae, Chaewon and Yujin are now on a hotpot restaurant. A middle-class restaurant, not that high class, not that low. The restaurant provided dividers per table for privacy but it wasn’t like a VIP room that’s sound proof so somebody heard them.

“Yena unnie? Chaewon unnie? And.. Yujinie?” Yujin flinched when she heard the voice.

“Oh, Minju!” Yena greeted. “You’re also here? I thought you can’t make it today?”

“Ahh, nae. I’m out with someone right now. We’re actually seated at the corner but I thought I heard you so I came over.” Minju answered Yena with a smile.

“Oh? It’s weird how you and Yujin are not spending your day offs together but—” Yena was cut off by Chaewon shoving a piece of king mushroom on the former’s mouth.

“I believe you’re making your companion wait, Minju.” Chaewon spoke after gently grabbing and squeezing Yujin’s hand under the table.

“Ahh, nae. Sorry, unnie deuls, Yujin and…?” Minju dragged her sentence, as if asking a question who’s the other woman with them.

“Eunchae! Hong Eunchae! Hehe.” Eunchae spoke.

“I see.. well then, I’ll leave you guys be. Enjoy your food.” Minju bid the group goodbye.

“Oh my god, she’s so pretty up close but you really shouldn’t judge a book by their cover.” Eunchae spoke, shaking her head.

“Eunchae.” Chaewon warned which prompted the younger to stuff with food.

“Okay, what was that?” Yena asked after completely swallowing the food that Chaewon stuffed with.

“Remember when I said that something happened?” Yujin asked Yena and the latter nodded. “Well, it has something to do with Minju unnie.” The warmth never left Yujin’s hand, with Chaewon gently squeezing Yujin’s hand as a sign of support.

“I’m all ears.” Yena crossed her arms on her front and laid back on the chair’s back rest.

“Eunchae, hold the hand of Yena unnie before your Yujin unnie say anything.” Chaewon told Eunchae to which the youngest complied.

Yena raised her eyebrow but lets Eunchae hold it anyway.

 

Yujin then explained what happened, from the start up to the point on the boba shop where she met Chaewon and Eunchae on the way to meet Yena.

 

 

 

“That b*tch!” Yena exclaimed and tried to get up but Eunchae’s holding onto her. “Eunchae! Let go of me!”

“Calm down, unnie!” “This is exactly why I told Eunchae to hold your hand.” Yujin and Chaewon simultaneously spoke.

“I’ll be crazier than her if I let what happened pass by just like that!” Yena said, fuming with anger. “Nobody hurts our Yujinie like that, nobody!”

“Unnie, I’m angry too but we should ask Yujin on what she wants to do. This is, after all, about her and Minju. We’re just outsiders.” Chaewon chimed in and the two older women turned to her.

“Earlier, I admit I was mad but now that I managed to calm down.. I thought that it doesn’t matter anymore. I’m not the one on losing side if ever everything’s out to our friends or the public. That’s why I’m thankful Chaewon unnie was there and made me stop from confronting them. If ever I did.. I’d look like the losing one and would have a problem before I even re-debut. So.. Thank you, Chaewon unnie.” Yujin gave the older beside her after she spoke.

Chaewon rubbed Yujin’s back. “It’s nothing. You don’t need to thank me, Yujin-ah.”

Yena sighed. “Okay but we need to talk to Eunbi unnie and the rest about this. We’ve got witness, Chaewon and Eunchae that can prove what Minju did today. Minju isn’t just someone we can cut off the friend group, we’ve been with her 3 years. What she did would be frowned upon, I’m sure nobody would condone her behavior. Specially Eunbi unnie.”

The three nodded. “Wait, I’m included too?”, Eunchae.

“Yes, you silly!” Yena quipped.

 

The three decided to tell everyone later that night and spend the day having fun first. They wanted to talk about it with alcohol and Yena figured it was about time to teach Yujin how to drink because the latter would be an adult next year.

Chaewon called Yunjin to fetch Eunchae from the same convenience store that the four met up earlier the day. Yunjin, Yena and Yujin exchanged pleasantries before Yunjin and Eunchae decided it was time to come back.

 

“Nae, unnie.”, Yena. “So, we should just buy the alcohol and drink at your place?” Yena went inside the store while talking on the phone, leaving Chaewon and Yujin outside.

The two are side by side, leaning at the wall near the entrance of the convenience store.

“It looks like it’s gonna be a long night.” Yujin spoke, looking down then kicked a stone that was on the pavement.

“Yeah, it will be. We haven’t had this kind of problem before. Guess Minju’s letting out her true colors now..” Chaewon responded.

Yujin smiled. “I’ve known that Minju unnie had that kind of tendency…”

“Hmm?”

“We were roomates, right? I’ll kinda hear her talk to different people few times in a kinda flirtatious tone. I honestly didn’t mind her, I’d put a headphone each time to not hear so when we were separated when we moved dorms, I was thankful and regretful at the same time because as much as I hate hearing those kind of stuff, I like her.. I like her company so if pretending I don’t know what was happening then was the way to keep her within arms reach.. I pretend to not know anything.”

“Right.. I remember how happy you were when you informed us. Minju was different though.”

“Huh? How?”

“I mean, she doesn’t have the same energy as you that day. It was like.. she didn’t want the rest of us knowing.”

“Ahh, it’s sinking to me now.” Yujin chuckled. “Cause that time, we fought.. I thought it was only because I was the one who said it. Guess it was because of something else too.”

Chaewon turned to Yujin. “You didn’t deserve that, Yuj.”

Yujin gave Chaewon a timid smile and a shrug. “Meh, it happened already unnie. I know better now.”

Just then, the entrance of the convenience store opened and it brought out Yena with 2 bags on both hands. One bag with alcohol and the other snacks.

Yena showed Yujin and Chaewon the bags. “Got your fave snacks, Yuj. Grab an ice cream each and let’s hail a cab to Eunbi unnie’s place.”

 

 

And for the second time, Yujin and Chaewon repeated what they said to Yena back at the hotpot restaurant.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry Yuj. I didn’t know Minju had a nerve in her body to do that.” Eunbi stood up and hugged Yujin.

“I knew it. I know we can’t trust the silent and shy ones.”, Yuri, gulping a shot of soju. “Ah, you’re an exception Hyewon unnie.”

“Of course I am, I’ve been loyal to Eunbi unnie ever since.”, Hyewon on her second glass of whiskey.

“Thank god we had the day off today, Chae.” Sakura exclaimed. “I felt weird last night that’s why I asked for a day off, I didn’t expect what transpired today.”

“Yeah..” Chaewon timidly answered and gulped down a soju shot and turned to Chaeyeon.

“Don’t touch Chaeyeon, she’s fuming despite not showing it. The alcohol’s pining her on her seat now.” Sakura spoke.

“I can’t believe Minju unnie.. oh my god!” Wonyoung exclaimed with a pout while sipping on her banana milk.

“I’ll tell Hitomi and Nako.” Chaeyeon spoke and excused herself, calling a group chat that only the three of them has.

 

30 minutes later, everybody’s just talking casually and having fun drinking when Yena realized that Yujin hasn’t had a single drop of alcohol since they came.

“Yuj.” Yena handed her a shot of soju mixed with orange juice.

Yujin took it with a confused look.

“It’s okay Yuj, it’s not pure alcohol.” Yena re-assured the younger.

Chaewon held Yujin’s hand, gently squeezing it. “It’s about time to learn how to drink and drink with the unnies, Yuj.”

Yujin then drank the shot, squinting her eyes. It’s not the first time that she’s drinking something with alcohol. She’s had wine but that soju shot she just gulped down sure did tasted different and she definitely felt it more than the wine but she enjoyed it. Yujin chuckled.

“Hmm? Are you drunk already?” Eunbi asked.

“Come on, unnie. I’m not you.” Yujin and the rest chuckled. “It’s just.. I think I now understand why you guys drink.” Yujin continued.

“Hmm?”, Chaeyeon.

“Instead of focusing on what’s hurting or stressing you at the moment, you focus on that burning sensation on your throat instead, making you forget even just a bit..”, Yujin.

Chaeyeon smiled and handed Yujin another shot. “This one taste like blueberries.”

“Oh, it’s good!” Yujin said after gulping it down. “Didn’t know there were other flavors to this. How about that grape flavor?”

“No!”, Eunbi.

“Don’t touch that, Yuj!”, Sakura.

Chaeyeon had a frown on her face.

Yuri shook her head. “I learned the hard way, Yujin-ah. Listen to the unnies.”

Yujin turned to Chaewon and the latter shook her head saying, “Even I am afraid of tasting it. Yuri was knocked out when she tried it the next year we had her learn drinking.”

“Hey! Y’all judgemental! It’s good! The sour grape variants really go along with it!”, Yena.

“You’re the only one who likes it, babe.” Yena pouted with what Yuri said.

“Well, I’m out of here. At least another year before the unnies teach me how to drink, right?”, Wonyoung. Everyone nodded.

 

 

After 3 hours of drinking, most are already asleep on the couch of Eunbi’s living room, Yena and Hyewon on the carpet but there’s two that are still up, slowly sipping on their alcohol.

“Unnie..” Yujin called out to Chaewon.

“Hmm?” Chaewon hummed.

“I think… I can’t do love anymore after what happened..”

Chaewon didn’t speak, a signal to Yujin to continue what she was saying.

“I thought.. love’s supposed to be sweet. Kind of how our mouths water when we eat something sweet. I was expecting it to be like those romantic fairy tales.” Yujin popped a gummy bear on . Seems like gummy bears and chocolates goes with alcohol. “It’s my first time feeling it.. that excitement of waiting.. for them to be on your arms or yourself on their arms..”

Yujin leaned her head on Chaewon’s shoulder and the latter adjusted so the former could be comfortable.

“Now it feels like, no matter how hard I stretch my arms out.. I won’t reach it. It feels like I’m the only one that’s gonna hurt.. Now it feels like, love.. is like that sour grape.” Yujin stared at the bottle of Soju with a grape design. “Unripe… Bittersweet.. I feel afraid and I think I’ll never bite. I’ll never bite that pain again.”

 

 

After 3 months, Yujin finally re-debuted with Wonyoung on Starship’s new girl group, IVE; along with another four members that were scouted as Yujin and Wonyoung promoted as IZ*ONE. The other members have already lived with the two pre-debut, while preparing for their debut but it only has sinked in to them now that they’re debuting with two already famous idol.

And Chaewon’s group had an addition to their team as well. A foreigner scouted personally by a company employee a few kilometers off South Korea.

The rest have been busy as well but one wasn’t as booked as the other members. Minju spent her Saturdays MCing, some days posing for the camera, some days just lazying around.

And true to their words, the members kept Minju on their circle but it’s never the same anymore. Some are kind of distant, some are keeping her at bay but it worked for Minju because she wasn’t pestered when she finally announced that her and Yujin aren’t together anymore and she kept her set up with Hyunjin.

 

Yujin and Chaewon are the busiest ones however, Chaewon won’t let a day pass of not messaging Yujin. Saying she’s just checking on the younger.

“Just really checking?” Sakura asked.

“Nae unnie, just checking. I’m just worried.” Chaewon responded.

“I think I’m gonna die…” Kazuha, Japanese like Sakura; the new addition to the team quipped in a slow and cute Korean.

The two older women chuckled.

“Hey, Kazuha’s a ’03 too, right?” Sakura asked Chaewon.

Chaewon hummed.

“And it’s confirmed that she goes both ways too, right?”, Sakura.

Chaewon nodded.

“How about set her up with Yujin? To you know.. forget Minju?”

Chaewon gave Sakura a pointed look. “Don’t repeat what you said again, unnie. Alright?”

“Nae, Chaewon-sshi.”, Sakura.

 

 

Chaewon spent few weeks writing lyrics after their practices. She managed to contribute to two songs however, she told the producer to not write her name on the credits for the other song. For Chaewon, it’s enough that only one person out of the production would know that she wrote the other song.

Yujin and her group finished 2 months long of promoting and immediately prepared for a comeback. This worried Chaewon so she decided to give the younger a surprise visit.

 

“Girls, you have a visitor.” IVE’s manager interrupted their practice for their comeback song.

The girls, with the exception of Yujin who was sitting with her back facing the door, resting; curiously stared at the door and the door brought out Chaewon.

“AHH!! Unnie!!” Wonyoung shouted, Yujin not minding Wonyoung’s shout and focused her time on resting her sore muscles.

“Chaewon-sunbae?” “Chaewon unnie?” the other girls muttered.

Chaewon? Are my ears fooling me? Yujin finally turned around and saw a squatting Chaewon in front of her.

“Unnie? What are you doing here?” Yujin asked with a confused face.

“Well.. checking on you?” Chaewon responded. “I bought chicken, tteokbokki and cheese balls. You better hurry up or Leeseo would gobble up your tteokbokki.” Chaewon chuckled.

Yujin stood up and drag Chaewon with her. “Yah! Yah! Share the food!”

 

The two spent their time on a staircase with Yujin munching on her plateful of tteokbokki, chicken and cheeseballs.

“All that diet for nothing..” Yujin spoke with a pout as she take small bites on a cheeseball.

Chaewon chuckled. “I’m glad to see you eating well, Yujin-ah. I forgot when’s the last time I saw you eat with so much gusto.”

“Well, the break up with Minju unnie helped me diet, at least. I couldn’t eat properly would just throw up but I think it was a month ago when I started eating great again but I had to diet again because we were having a comeback as you can see.” Yujin responded with a chuckle.

“I see, I’m really glad to know that. I’d be sending you food here everyday then, so you can eat much better than now.” Chaewon smiled at the younger.

Yujin felt her cheeks heat up. “Aish, unnie. Are you teasing me?”

Chaewon then again chuckled. Whenever I’m with her for some reason, I’m happy. Scratch that, it’s not just some reason.

And true to her words, Chaewon sent Yujin food every day.

Yujin went out of their dorm, to the balcony and fished her phone out of her pocket to call someone.

“Hello?” the woman at the other line greeted.

“Unnie, thank you for the kimchi braised ribs. Your mom really does make the best kimchi. I ate so much today that Wonyoung’s complaining.” Yujin chuckled.

Fortunately, Yujin couldn’t see Chaewon right now who has a bright smile on her face. “Is that so? Should I ask my mom to pass the recipe to aunty An?” Chaewon responded as she swivels her chair left and right.

Yujin chuckled. “That won’t be necessary, unnie. I won’t have a reason to visit aunty Kim if I could just make my mom make it and eat it everytime, right?”

Chaewon hummed.

“You won’t win, unnie. I know what you’re doing. You’re making me fatter.”

It’s Chaewon’s turn to chuckle. “You don’t need to diet, Yujin-ah. You’re perfect the way you are.”

Before Yujin can respond, she heard a noise on Chaewon’s line.

“Chaewon unnie! I heard that! Stop flirting with whoever is that! It’s your turn inside!”

“That kid Eunchae, she’s so much like Leeseo.” Yujin chuckled.

“You bet.” Chaewon chuckled. “I need to go now, Yujin-ah. I’ll call you after we finished if it’s not too late into the night.”

Yujin hummed. “Good luck, unnie.”

“Thank you, Yujin-ah. You can drop the call now.”

This girl never hangs up on me. Yujin shook her head. “Nae, I’ll be waiting.”

 

It took Chaewon’s group; LE SSERAFIM, two hours to finish recording everything that day. Before calling, Chaewon decided to send Yujin a message.

To: Yujin
“sent a voice message.
We’re done recording, Yujin-ah. Here’s a snippet of one of our songs. I’ll wait for a response before hitting the call button. Don’t wanna wake you up if ever you’re sleeping already.”

 

Not even five minutes after, Chaewon’s phone ringed.

 

“Silly, I told you I’ll call you.” Chaewon scolded the woman at the other end of the line.

Yujin made a ‘hmmph’ sound. Chaewon can’t see but she was sure that Yujin’s pouting right then.

“Yah, stop sulking.”, Chaewon.

“Why does things always have to go your way?” Yujin replied on a sulking voice.

“Not really.” Chaewon chuckled. “I just prefer it if I do anything first.”

“Then why not just straight up call? Why’d you have to text first?”

“I’d love to but I don’t want to disturb you in case you’re already sleeping.” Chaewon replied with a smile on her face. “I don’t want you to be uncomfortable too that’s why I ask before doing anything.”

“I’m already comfortable to you unnie, we lived in a dorm together for almost 3 years. And in case you’re forgetting something, you decided on your own to send me food every day.” Yujin replied sassily.

“Well.. The last one I don’t deny.” Chaewon agreed with a chuckle.

Yujin chuckled as well. “How’s the recording, unnie?”

“For most part, everyone did great.”, Chaewon.

“You did great too, unnie. The song in the voice message sounds so good.”

“Of course, that’s my best one today.” Chaewon chuckled.

“Tell me about your day, unnie. We’re both quite busy today, we didn’t talk much.” Yujin requested.

“How about you tell me yours first so I can listen to something as I walk back to our dorm?”

“Hmm.. okay!” Yujin responded.

 

Yujin went on to tell Chaewon what happened through out her day. Not missing any single detail, even the part where Leeseo slipped while they were dancing and what Yujin did so Leeseo would feel better. Somehow, Yujin feels a different kind of comfortability with Chaewon now compared to when they were living on the dorm together. It’s almost as if her day can’t go on without Chaewon now.

 

“Ohh, is Leeseo okay?” Chaewon sandwiched her phone between her cheek and her shoulder as she open the door of LE SSERAFIM’s dorm.

“Oh? What happened to the kiddo?” Sakura asked. Eunchae listened intently.

“Gimme a minute, Yujin.” Chaewon excused herself but didn’t remove her phone on her ear or put it on mute.

“Well, remember IVE’s current song has a dance break? Apparently, Leeseo slipped.” Chaewon answered.

“Yujin unnie! Can we visit there tomorrow?” Eunchae inquired, aware that Yujin can hear her.

“Tell them they can come. The girls would love to see them.” Yujin replied with a smile on her face. Realizing how two groups from two different companies are now super close with each other, they’re close to the IZ*ONE members too. It’s like they’re a big family now.

“Eunchae! Make sure to change before going to bed!” Chaewon scolded the younger who immediately ran to her room.

Yujin chuckled. “It made me remember how Minju unnie grabbed me so I’d change my clothes.”

“Sure takes back memories.” Chaewon chuckled and plopped on her bed.

“Kim Chaewon, I heard you plopped on your bed. What happened to scolding the kid to change?”

“I can do that later instead. Let me rest a bit.”

“Okay, tell me how’s your day as you rest.”

 

Chaewon complied to the request of the younger. Telling Yujin what she had for breakfast, then what happened at the gym.. her lunch, what she did that afternoon. Chaewon realized that Yujin’s been detailed with her stories of how her day went so Chaewon made a mental note to do the same and match Yujin’s energy and pace. Chaewon’s in the middle of telling her about the songs they recorded that day when she hears a blowing of air from the other line.

She must’ve fallen asleep. Chaewon smiled and stood up from her bed. She put the call on speaker as she changes and does her skin care before falling asleep too.

 

 

Yujin woke up to a noise coming from her phone that next morning.

 

“Chaewon unnie! It’s already 10:00 am! Let’s go to IVE’s dorm!” Yujin heard Eunchae shouting. That’s when she realized that her phone call with Chaewon is still up and running. 7 hours.. Yujin read as she glanced on her phone.

Chaewon made a noise, indicating she’s about to wake up and shouted back at Eunchae. “Eunchae! Don’t eat the kimchi at the fridge! That’s for Yujin!”

“Nae!” Eunchae shouted back which made Yujin chuckle.

Chaewon heard the chuckle from the other line. “You’re awake? Good morning, pretty.”

“Oh, come on, unnie, you haven’t even seen me yet. Good morning~”

“I don’t have to see you to know, Yujin-ah. You’ve always been pretty. Seems like I’m not the one forgetting that we lived together for almost 3 years. I’ve seen it already.”

Yujin felt her cheeks warm up. “O-okay okay! Anyways, why did you not hang up last night? I’m sorry I fell asleep.” Yujin asked, changing the subject.

“Well, if you haven’t realized it by now, I don’t hang up calls.”

“You do hang up on Yena and Eunbi unnie, though?”

“You’re a different case.”

“Huh? Why?”

“I don’t hang up the call with people I like.”

 

Yujin felt her stomach flip in a good way, like something’s been running around.. She hasn’t seen her face yet but judging from the warmness of her cheeks, she’s probably bright red right now and she feels like her brain would short circuit any minute now. What is this effect of Chaewon unnie on me..

 

“Yuj? Yujin-ah?” Chaewon called out.

Yujin snapped out of her daze. “N-nae?”

“You’ll need to hang up now, I’d have to go and prepare.”

“O-okay..”

“I’ll see you later then, Yuj. I’d text you when we’re on our way there.”

Yujin hummed. “Take care unnie.”

“Hmm.. don’t cook breakfast, I’ll bring you some.”

“Okay…”

“You can hang up now. I’d see you in a bit.”

Yujin hummed and ended the call.

 

And as Chaewon said, Yujin received a text message from the former. Attached is a photo of a big brunch for everyone with a message.

“We’re on our way, Yuj. I brought mom’s kimchi and I bought your Gong cha too. Black Milk Tea, 70% sugar with tapioca pearls as sinkers, right?”

 

They say fall in love with someone who knows how you like your coffee. Does that work with milk teas too? Yujin doesn’t realize but she’s been staring at her phone for a while now with a big smile on her face.

 

 

After the visit of LE SSERAFIM on IVE’s dorm, the two groups remained close friends who would sometimes hangout with other IZ*ONE members too.

“Unnie!”

“Can you stop shouting, Hong Eunchae?” Chaewon scolded their youngest.

“Hehe sorry.”

“What is it you’re shouting about anyway?” Yunjin asked.

“Well… Leeseo gave me a spoiler for their comeback. She said they’re coming back on April 5.”

“That’s a little bit over a month before our debut, right?” Sakura chimed in.

Chaewon hummed, not interested on the conversation. She already heard it all from Yujin and continued with her dance practice.

 

 

Yujin has been trying to keep Chaewon at bay but she couldn’t help but talk to the older. Yujin isn’t as oblivious as she was before and she now acknowledge that she’s starting to like—no, scratch that, it’s been a while since she liked Chaewon and with Chaewon dropping hints that the feeling’s mutual, Yujin is scared. She already moved on from Minju, she’s actually civil with her and has been interacting with her on public just fine but she hasn’t forgotten about that feeling… the feeling of fear.

Not fear of Chaewon but the fear of loving again. The issue wasn’t Chaewon, the issue is herself. Chaewon’s been great. Over the course of 4 months, Chaewon was patient with her. Chaewon would always make Yujin feel the butterflies.. things she hasn’t felt from Minju. Chaewon managed to make her feel loved without saying the very word. The efforts despite being busy, she for sure knows that Chaewon isn’t like Minju who’d drop her when they barely have time for each other because Chaewon, the girl always made time for her. The girl always made sure she gets updates about her whereabouts, her wellbeing and what she’ll be doing. Chaewon would even send voice messages if Yujin wouldn’t even have time for a phone call because she’s busy. Yujin honestly wouldn’t mind losing a bit of her time to talk to the older but what Chaewon said struck her.

 

“Yujin-ah, I prefer if you get a full 8-hrs of peaceful and undisturbed sleep. In my opinion, letting someone sleep is a form of love. I’d be here when you wake up, I’m not going anywhere.”

 

Chaewon hasn’t confessed yet but Yujin feels loved already. In the words of Wonyoung..

 

“You guys are doing much better than a relationship with a label.”

 

And it’s making Yujin feel the butterflies but at the same time, afraid.

 

Her concern goes from..

what if Chaewon won’t be able to keep it up anymore.

what if Chaewon gets too busy but she gets used to the set up already?

what if Chaewon’s only love bombing Yujin and it would stop when there’s finally ‘something’ with them?

To..

what if I’d be the one to be toxic now because of my fears?

 

Questions which she’ll have answers if she would just talk with Chaewon.

 

But Yujin wouldn’t. She’s too afraid.

 

what if it’s still super early to ask Chaewon about it?

what if she just misunderstood Chaewon’s actions?

what if Chaewon would think Yujin’s such an overthinker and would be put off by it?

 

Then Chaewon would leave.. I- I can’t. I can’t lose Chaewon. Not now that I feel something for her already. Not now that I’m so comfortable already. I’m not losing another unnie again., Yujin thought.

 

Thus, no progress. IVE had a comeback with Love Dive already but they stayed on the status quo.

 

And up until LE SSERAFIM’s debut, they’re still on their status quo.

 

Chaewon already felt that there’s something the changed between her and Yujin but she let the younger have her time and figure it out. I can wait. If it’s Yujin, I can wait.

 

 

Yujin congratulated Chaewon for LE SSERAFM’s debut via phone call. As much as the two wanted to see each other, they can’t. They were so busy, Chaewon with the debut promotion and Yujin with concerts and brand deals left and right. Heck, she hasn’t even listened to LE SSERAFIM’s full album yet. She only listened to Fearless, the title track and Blue Flame, a song that Chaewon helped to write until Yujin forgot to listen about the other songs.

 

 

It has now been a month since LE SSERAFIM debuted and they’re done with their promotions. Chaewon kept up her every day texts to Yujin(though would fall asleep as she talks with Yujin from time to time), with the pre-text of checking on the younger. I miss her. I haven’t seen her in a month.  

 

And as if on cue, their manager announced that Music Bank would be having their half year special. All songs that managed to win 1st would perform. And Chaewon thought, it’s her chance. She’ll finally see Yujin. Love Dive and Fearless managed to win 1st while on promotion. We’ll see each other, soon. Thinking about it has made Chaewon’s day better, her mood brighter and her energy back to 100%.

 

 

It’s finally the day I’ll see Chaewon unnie again! Yujin thought as she hums happily while getting her make up fixed, the half year special of Music Bank is happening in a few hours. She needs to look good in front of Dives, and of course, to her Chaewon unnie.

Yujin had her eyes close, relaxing them when she heard a sound from Leeseo.

 

Chakgageun ma(Don't get me wrong)
Ttaki neol joahan jeok eopseunikka(I've never exactly liked you)
Jogeumdo aswipjiga antanikka(I don't feel a bit sorry)
Naega nal songnyeo all day all night(I tricked myself all day, all night, yeah)

 

“Hold on, Leeseo. Is that Chaewon unnie singing?” Yujin asked their youngest.

“Nae, unnie! This is a song from their album, it’s called Sour Grapes and it’s trending on tiktok now actually. It sounds so good!” Leeseo answered.

Yujin immediately grabbed her phone and airpods and looked for the song.

 

 

[A/N: You guys can listen to LE SSERAFIM’s Sour Grapes at this point. Sentences on ()parenthesis are english meaning of the lyrics.]

 

Oh, it starts with Chaewon unnie. Yujin smiled upon hearing a familiar voice. Wait, the lyrics.. Why are they familiar?

 

Oh nado moreuge(Oh, I don't know either)
Dalkomhae nan chimi goyeo igeon sarang maja(It's sweet, I mouth-watered, this is truly love)
Neol hancham noryeobwa(I'm staring at you for a long time)
Nae sone ttuk tteoreojigil gidarigo isseo         (Waiting for it to fall into my hands)

Gatgo sipeo sonswipge(I want to have it easily)
Nangmanjeogin fairy tale(An romantic fairy tale)
Sadarireul oreul ttae(When climbing the ladder)
Du bararae nan ajjilhae(I'm feel dizzy under my feet)

Heona jom deo gilge pareul ppeodeodo(But even if I stretch out my arms a bit longer)
Dachi ana dwikkumchireul deureodo(I can't reach it even if I lift my heels)
Domujiga sone jwil su eomneun love(Love that can't hold hands utterly)
Oh ireodaga naman dachigesseo(Oh, I'm the only one who's going to get hurt)
Yeah you'll hurt me

Pureut ssapssareumhae I don't wanna taste(It's bittersweet that I don't wanna taste)
Mwo geuri dalkomhajin aneul geot gatae(I don't think it's going to be that sweet)
Seorigeun gamjeongdeuri I just feel afraid(Unripe emotions, I just feel afraid)
I'll never bite I'll never bite the pain                                

Sour nunmul nage sikeumhan mat(Sour, a soury taste that makes you cry)
Sour geureon ge manyak sarangimyeon(Sour, if there's such things as love)
Matbogo sipji ana I just feel afraid(I don't wanna taste, I just feel afraid)
Love is sour love is sour grapes

 

Why are the lyrics so familiar.. I’m getting a sense of déjà vu. “Leeseo-ya.” Yujin called out. “Do you know who’s the writer for this song? The lyrics feels oddly familiar..”

“Eunchae said it’s actually Chaewon unnie who wrote this. It’s just that, Chaewon unnie told the producers that she doesn’t want her name on it.” Leeseo answered Yujin’s question.

 

A bit after, the members of LE SSERAFIM visited IVE’s changing room.

“Well, we tagged along since Chaewon’s going here for Yujin anyway.” Sakura spoke.

“Guys.. Can I have the room with Chaewon unnie alone for now?” Yujin asks.

The members of the two group nodded and Chaewon’s excitement of seeing Yujin have turned into nervousness.

“W-what is it, Yujin-ah?” Chaewon asked.

Yujin stood up and walked near the older, while the latter steps back out of nervousness until Chaewon’s back crashed on the wall.

For a moment, both of them were still until Chaewon called Yujin by her name. “Yuj..”

Yujin immediately enveloped Chaewon in a tight hug. “I miss you, unnie..”

Relief came crashing on Chaewon’s face. “I miss you too, you big sulker.”

Yujin immediately let go and crossed her arm.

“Hey, I’m kidding.” Chaewon sulked and it’s her turn now to hug Yujin.

 

After a few minutes, Yujin broke the hug and Chaewon looked at the former with a confused look.

“Why did you want us to be alone, Yuj? Just for the hug? We didn’t need to chase them out for that, they’re used to—”

“I listened to Sour Grapes just now, unnie. Eunchae have told Leeseo that you wrote it. Why didn’t you put your name on it? It’s such a good song!”

“It’s because of the lyrics, Yujin-ah. No other one should know that it came from me aside from my members and the producers… and you.”

“Me?”

“Yeah. Those were your words that day we saw Minju at the boba tea shop, when we were drinking and the only ones left are you and me?”

“I know but the idea only came from my words, right? You were the one who formed them into lyrics!”

“Why are you only nitpicking now? Is it your first time hearing it?”

“Uhh- yeah…”

“Ohh, I thought you were drunk and didn’t remember what you said that night..”

 

There’s a moment of silent between them.

 

“Anyway, I didn’t write that to take credit for it or something. I wrote it for you. I know you’re scared.. and I want you to know that I am too.” Chaewon grabbed Yujin’s hand, gently squeezing it. “I like you, Yujin. For a long while now. I just didn’t take risk because I know you like Minju and you guys actually got together after the disbandment but that’s my biggest regret too, Yuj. If I was braver and not a coward.. that would’ve been us. You wouldn’t have been hurt. I like you so goddamn much Yuj.” Chaewon looked at Yujin and the latter looks stupefied and it made Chaewon chuckle.

“You’re probably overthinking with that head of yours, right?” Chaewon asked.

Yujin only kept mum and looked down.

“Yuj, look at me.” Chaewon cupped Yujin’s cheeks and made sure that their eyes are looking at each other. “If you’re worried if I’d be able to keep up what I’ve been doing, Yuj, I’ve been at it for months now. If I’ll fail, I would’ve failed sometime ago because one cannot keep a façade for too long. I got busier but still made sure I made time for you, right? I won’t get you used on something and give up or half it half way. I can assure you, it might look like I’m love bombing you but these are feelings I kept up for years. It’s hard to keep them under control and it will only grow as time goes by.”

“Chae, how can—” Yujin was surprised and asked Chaewon a question but got cut off by the latter.

“I know you like the back of my hand now Yuj and thanks for letting me get this close to you. No, it is not too early. No, you’re not misunderstanding anything cause I do really like—love you. And no, I’d be here until you want me to be, I’m here to stay, no other force can make me leave.”, Chaewon.

“Oh my god.. I like you too, Chae.” Yujin finally let out the words Chaewon has been wanting to hear.

Chaewon smiled. “I wrote Sour Grapes cause, Yuj, because I’m scared too. I have a lot of what ifs and maybes too but I am choosing to trust you. It might be bittersweet that I don’t wanna taste, I don’t think it’s gonna be that sweet…” Chaewon cntinued. “But for you, Yujin, I’d take a bite. I’ll take a bite.”

 

 

After 2 years..

 

“Ugh, it’s that soju flavor again unnie!” Wonyoung exclaimed when she saw Yena bringing out the grape flavored soju.

Wonyoung who used to be the youngest is now drinking with her IZ*ONE unnies after a long time. A lot has happened.

Minju came back to Yujin, begging if she could take her back and that she would do everything to win her over again but Yujin didn’t even entertain Minju.

Why would she if she has THEE Kim Chaewon?

Who would’ve thought that the green radish fairy can love that pure and hard? Yujin thinks it’s even an understatement.

Chaewon and Yujin’s relationship came with storms and waves too, they’re not perfect. No one is.  Every relationship has their own set of problems, what’s important is to not dwell on the said problems. Talk about it calmly and rationally, it will be hard but the couple made it a habit to sleep on it first and talk about it again when they can think properly. One thing is for sure, never say anything when you’re angry or too happy. The words may end up as words that they don’t mean.

 

“Ugh- Eunbi and Hyewon unnie are fighting again.” Minju complained as she sat down next to Wonyoung.

 

Minju was originally going to cut them off but Eunbi has convinced her not to, telling her that if Minju’s embarrassed about what she did.. all she had to do was accept it happened, cool off for a few weeks or months and Eunbi made sure that Minju knows and feels that she has a family to go back to and they’re willing to accept her back with open arms.

So, now, there’s Minju. All better, hanging out with them again. Yujin and Chaewon let go of the issue too. It wasn’t easy but they’ll only live in pain if they keep a grudge. Like what people say, forgive but never forget the lesson it taught you.

 

“How are you able to keep your relationship so stable, Yuj? Chae?” Minju asked.

The couple looked at each other and are lost for words.

“Well.. we don’t know what to answer, honestly.”, Chaewon.

“We just sorta happened. One time I tried telling it to Hitomi unnie and she just curled her fingers saying it’s cringe.”, Yujin.

“I am deeply sorry. But, I get what you’re saying now, Yuj. It hasn’t been easy with Nako but we work it out somehow.” Hitomi chimed in.

That’s right, work it out. Relationships are on a constant state of change, adapting and compromising. No matter how compatible two people are, there would always be a difference. Hence why it needs the adaptability and the compromises, may it be a relationship between two people who feels romantic love with each other or friendship.

 

“Drink! Drink! Drink!”

The bottle of the truth or dare pointed at Yujin and the poor woman chose dare. Now most of the members are making her drink the grape flavored soju, being one of the only two who hasn’t tried it yet. (The other one would be Chaewon.) However, Yujin had too much to drink already and her knight(which happened to be her girlfriend, Chaewon), is now being told to drink half of it for Yujin to which Chaewon has been aggressively shaking her head for a bit now.

“Come on, love. What happened to your ‘but if it’s for you Yujin’ talk 2 years ago?”, Yujin.

Chaewon rolled her eyes. “Fine.” Chaewon then grabbed the shot with the said alcohol. “Is there really no chaser for this?”

“There is!” Yena was sulking earlier because they made her favorite soju a punishment, stood up and grabbed some grapes. “This are the sour kind, it goes well with it, I promise!”  Yena assured chaewon.

Chaewon, even though skeptic about it, grabbed the grape. “Alright, if this doesn’t work, I’d make Yujin lock you in an armbar.”

“It’s gonna work! I swear!”, Yena.

 

Yujin watched her girlfriend close her eyes before drinking the shot and biting the grape after.

 

“How is it, love? Are you okay?” Yujin asked, worried for her girlfriend because she’s heard nothing but bad things about the soju flavor.

Chaewon opened her eyes, like nothing happened. “Huh.. it’s actually good sour.. It’s like lemon as a chaser.”

“Really? That’s how sour it is?” Yujin asked again.

“Yeah, it’s okay but I wouldn’t like, buy and drink it. It’s so sour~” Chaewon cringed and her girlfriend beside her chuckled.

 

The members continued to play the game without Yujin and Chaewon as they had too much already. Yujin leaned her head on Chaewon’s shoulder and like the first time that Yujin did it, Chaewon adjusted herself to make her girlfriend comfortable.

“Ugh, it’s so sour. I still have the bittersweet after taste.” Chaewon complained.

Yujin just chuckled at how cute her girlfriend complains. “Thanks for taking it for me, love.”

“Anything for you love, if it’s for you.. anything’s fine.” Chaewon responded. “But you know what else’s sour?”

Yujin looked up to her girlfriend, shaking her head.

“This.” Chaewon touched Yujin’s bottom lip before giving Yujin a kiss that lasted for a bit, not minding the noisy people playing the game.

 

When their lips finally separated, Yujin immediately grabbed a glass of water.

“Ugh! So sour!”