The Job

The Nanny

Minho walked past numerous houses while checking his phone. The house he searched for would change his life.

2 months prior to his current situation, Minho arrived his home country for the first time after 18 years. As he stepped out of the airport and got into a taxi, it hit him that he was penniless. His parents had disowned him the moment he decided to go back to Korea. Fortunately, his parents still have kind hearts to let him live in the apartment he grew up in, but he was only allowed to stay there, rent-free for 3 months, which means he had to pay the rent 3 months later, and it also mean he needs to find a job, fast.
At first, Minho thought finding a job with the qualification he earned in the States wouldn’t be a problem, sadly he was proven wrong. 2 months had passed, and he’s still unemployed. Even the convenient shop would not hire him. It was either his certificates weren’t recognised in his own country, or he’s overqualified.

He was at his breaking point, desperate. He didn’t have enough money left in his pocket. What made him in worse condition was he had not eaten anything since the previous day. He wondered if his parents’ involved in his misfortune.
He sighed tiredly as he looked down at his phone. He scrolled through the list of jobs in the application app while praying for a miracle to come.

His small prayer was answered when he heard his phone notification’s tone. He touched the screen immediately, yet clumsily, not bothering to read through the road description before looking at the address stated in the app. “I’m in luck, the place is one station away!” Minho exclaimed as he dashed towards the nearest subway. He didn’t want to miss this miraculous opportunity.

xxxxx

When he arrived at a rich residential area, Minho’s confident level dropped. He became worried. What happened if it was a scam? Did his phone application glitched and sent him to the wrong location? He also regretted his decision for wearing a simple white shirt and faded jeans instead of a proper dress shirt and dark-coloured trousers.

After passing few more houses, he stopped in front of one house and compared the number with the number stated in his app. Though he found the right house, he still has doubts. What happen if it’s a scam?

Minho took a deep breath, “don’t think too much,” and exhaled slowly. He took few more deep breaths until he felt calm, then he studied the house in front of him while taking slow steps to toward the front door.
The house, it was a modern house built with wood and had huge glass windows. He couldn’t get a glimpse of the interior of the house because the curtains were down.

“Why are the curtains down?”

He shook his head and slapped his face with both hands. He should mind his own business. He shouldn’t distract himself with unnecessary thoughts like why the curtain is down. He needed to make a good impression to his soon-to-be employer, eventhough he dressed sloppy. He inhaled again before he decided to press the doorbell, but the door opened before he could pressed it. A man about his age walked out of the house, closed the door behind him, and greeted him.

“Are you the new nanny?” the man asked formally.

“The what?” Minho’s eyes widened. He hoped he was not mistaken for…

“The nanny. You’re here because of the job application, right?

Minho was speechless. He had made a terrible decision for not reading through the job description before accepting the job. He already had trouble taking care of himself, what’s more taking care of children.

“But I don’t have experience in taking care of children.” Minho stuttered.

The man didn’t seem to mind. He opened the door and stepped slightly to the side for Minho to enter the house. “It doesn’t matter. My boss needs a nanny urgently. The last one resigned without notice this morning.”

Minho began to panic. “How about you? Can’t you take care of them? And how many children are we talking about?”

The man was about to answer Minho’s questions when they were interrupted by someone shouting and screaming.

“Seungmin! Stop bitting me! Let me go!” a teenager shouted at his younger brother. He shook his hand violently, desperately trying to shake his brother of his left arm, but the younger wouldn’t budge. Since the younger wouldn’t let him go, the older resolved to raised his hand to slap his brother when another boy, not older than 10, came out from nowhere and quickly held the oldest hand to stopped him from hitting their brother. “Don’t hit Seungmin!” he scolded the oldest, then turned to Seungmin. “Seungmin-ah, let Bangchan-hyung go,” and gently pulled Seungmin away from their brother.

Seungmin released his mouth from Bangchan’s arm and turned to his saviour. He grabbed him by his sleeves and pulled them playfully, asking for attention. “Hannie bark! Hannie bark!”

Bangchan wiped his swollen arm, angrily called Seungmin crazy before he stomped out of the room. The younger two watched their brother leave before they followed him.

“Don’t call Seungmin crazy!”

“Hannie bark…”

xxxxx
“What just happened?” Minho was in disbelief because it was his first-time witnessing siblings interacting violently towards each other. “Is this normal?”

“Only when their father is not home.” The man said. He riveted his attention back to Minho. “Sorry, I haven’t properly introduced myself. I’m Woojin, the butler. My boss, Mr. Seo’s seldom at home, thus he entrusts me to manage his household matters, except taking care of the boys. That is the nanny’s job. “

Minho wanted to ask why, but Woojin cut him off. He showed Minho obvious signs that he’s avoiding being questioned. He was afraid that Minho would change his mind and leave. He gestured Minho to follow him further into the house.