ONE

IF ONLY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyeon tied her hair with the kitchen rubber band before she took her books and exited the kitchen. Sooyeon put her books down and helped her sick mother to sat down.

"Just go to school." Mirae said without looking at her daughter.

"I have made some porridge for you. Please eat later." Sooyeon said before she took her books again.

The old lady paid no heed. Sooyeon didn't wait for any retaliation as she was already late. Sooyeon exited the house and made her way to the school which was 10 minutes away.

This is a new school as Sooyeon and her mother just moved to Bundang last two weeks. Sooyeon didn't know why they have to move and where her mother suddenly has so much money but her mother said it was for her education.

Sooyeon was touch. Her mother had never been attentive to her. The old lady had never showed any affection, what else care. One thing she always told Sooyeon was to study hard and be number one in every examination. Hence, Sooyeon was a very bright student. Sooyeon just hoped that she could maintain her grades in this new school although she knew that will be hard as this is a city school. Not a rural school like she used to attend.

//

Sooyeon watched as the students scrambled out of the class for recess. She waited for most of them to exit the class before she took out her lunchbox. Sooyeon ate the simple egg sandwich while reading the book. As she was eating she could listen to the girls near her seats chatting about someone named Yul.

"Yah! He totally kissed me and then pretended like nothing happened. What a prick."

"Even so, you will crawl to him when he wiggles his finger to you."

"Ah really! I know I have to avoid him but how can I?"

"Just ignore that bastard. He has girls everywhere. Not just this school."

Sooyeon shook her head and shifted her attention to the book. It was a waste of time to listened to other people's conversation. Sooyeon continued eating before she kept her lunchbox away.

//

"Sooyeon! Bring me my food!" Mirae shouted.

Sooyeon who was plating the food quickly served it to the woman.

"Chicken soup again?!" Mirae was sick of it.

"The doctor said you need to take more herbal drink...this is herbal soup."

"Don't act smart in front of me. I want meat tomorrow." Mirae yelled.

She ate the food with complaints of these and that while Sooyeon waited for her to finish her food.

"Omma...I need you to sign a form. The school are making a field trip to the city next week." Sooyeon remembered.

Mirae didn't retaliate.

"It's free." Sooyeon added.

Mirae still didn't react.

"It's on school day. On Wednesday. I'll cook first."

"No."

"But-"

"I said no! Are you dense?!" Mirae shouted angrily.

Sooyeon looked down to the floor and nodded. Once Mirae finished eating, Sooyeon took the plates back to the kitchen. Mirae who frequented the living room, has made the living room as her room. Hence, she conquered the television, giving Sooyeon no chance to watch the tele.

As Sooyeon was busy cleaning the kitchen, she heard Mirae shouting for her.

"Yes, omma?"

"Go buy me a cigarette."

"But I can't buy it. They won't allow me. This isn't the rural..."

"Work it out. You are smart aren't you?!" Mirae yelled while she threw some bills to Sooyeon.

Sooyeon heaved a sigh and took the money. She then exited the house and walked to the stores which were a few blocks away.

As she walked, Sooyeon looked around if there's anyone she could ask help from. She saw an old man. Sooyeon tried asking for help but the old man scoffed her for being disrespectful. Sooyeon was nervous. What would her mother say and do if she didn't succeed in buying the cigarette.

"Aren't you the new girl at the school?"

Sooyeon turned to the owner of the voice. It was a boy with bunch of his friends behind him.

"Do I know you?"

"Huh." The boy shrugged.

Then it struck to Sooyeon that these boys can buy the cigarette for her.

"Yes. Yes. I'm the new girl....can you help me out?" Sooyeon said confidently.

"What is it??" The boy asked back.

"I need a pack of cigarette. Marlboro White." Sooyeon said and the boys bursted out with a laughter.

Sooyeon rolled her eyes.

"You smoke?!" The boy was still laughing.

"I don't. It's for my mother. She wanted one and I know they won't let me buy the cigarette."

"Yeah right." The boy and his friends walked away from Sooyeon.

Sooyeon was devastated until one of the boys suddenly tapped her shoulder.

"10." The boy said, showing a white Marlboro pack.

Sooyeon quickly gave the money to the boy and thanked him. He took the money and ran after his cliques again. Sooyeon checked the pack and walked home as quickly as she could.

//

The next day, on her way to the school, Sooyeon saw the group of boys by the corner. They were chatting and laughing like school didn't exist. They didn't even look prepared to be at school.

"Yo, Marlboro." A boy called.

Sooyeon didn't stop but keep walking.

"Marlboro White!" The boy shouted again.

Sooyeon sighed as she stopped her pace. She turned to the group.

"Did you enjoy the cigarette last night?" The boy said.

Sooyeon put on a poker face. The boys on the other hand laughed out loud.

"You should go to school." Sooyeon replied.

"You should stop smoking." They replied in unison.

Sooyeon rolled her eyes and walked away when the boys started to make weird noise.

//

As usual, during recess, Sooyeon stayed in class. As she was eating while reading, she heard the door being opened quite roughly. She looked up to see the group of boys entering the class before circling a boy who sat on the other side of the class.

Sooyeon watched as they pushed the boy's head for fun while saying mean remarks. Sooyeon wanted to stop them but she felt like she shouldn't meddle in their business but she felt it was wrong to let it slide. She was divided.

"You guys should stop." Sooyeon stood and used her stern voice.

The boys stopped and looked at her.

"Oh, it Marlboro White." The boy who Sooyeon assumed as the leader said.

"My name is Sooyeon. Not Marlboro White."

"Whatever Marlboro White. Why can't we play with him? He's your boyfriend?"

"What if he is?" Sooyeon replied back angrily.

"Hahaha. If he's your boyfriend, then I have to play with you as well."

"Play? That's not playing, that's bullying!"

"Whoa! You are using a harsh word there. No one is bullying anyone. We are playing. Right, Taeil?" Yul said to Taeil whom he bullied just now.

"Yes. We are just playing." Taeil said without looking at Sooyeon.

Sooyeon was taken aback.

"See, Marlboro? We were just playing. Why are you meddling in our business?" Yul went to Sooyeon and pretended to be angry by stomping his legs but Sooyeon didn't react.

They stood in front of each other, staring in each other eyes.

"You were pushing his head like he doesn't have a feeling."

"But what does it have to do with you?!" Yul yelped again before Sooyeon pushed him by his chest away from her as he was too close.

Yul took a step back before pushing Sooyeon on the shoulder. Sooyeon slapped Yul's hands away but to no avail. The others laughed as Yul comically poked Jessica head and shoulders back to back.

"Stop it!" Sooyeon shouted but Yul laughed and continued his poking.

Sooyeon had it. She caught Yul's hand and headbutted the boy. Yul fell to the back and shouted in pain. His clique ran to him. Sooyeon's eyes widen as she saw blood running down Yul's nose.

It was chaos and everybody was shouting before one of Yul's clique went to Sooyeon and pulled her out from the class.

//

"You are out of line for doing that to Yul."<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter