Dear old friend

The sand underneath our feet and the ocean in your eyes

Yoohyeon shut the door in rage and jogged down the marble staircase and down to the road. Tears streamed down her puffy cheeks and into the corner of , leaving a salty aftertaste. She had argued with her parents again over such a trivial thing. Yoohyeon is turning 18 but her parents treat her like a baby, always checking where she is, who she's with and when she's coming home. It's suffocating.

 

The blonde wandered the streets of Seoul with her hands in her pockets and glossy eyes adventuring the people and streets. It was around 10 pm and the notifications from the parents were piling up. The phone buzzed constantly until Yoohyeon turned off the sounds and suddenly everything went quiet. The looming precense of the phone shrunk and Yoohyeon could finally take in the fresh air. She wiped her tears and smudged mascara with her hand before continuing, following wherever her feet took her.

 

Yoohyeon knew that Seoul never was for her. She never felt like she belonged. Well, she used to feel like she belonged but that was because of one person. One person that Yoohyeon had shared a whole life with. Their universes crashed and created something so beautiful but damaged them both with the impact. And where the blonde went she could see snippets of what could have been with that person. In the tall shining buildings, in the small tteokbokki shops, at the park riding the swings or taking a stroll by the ocean. That is what she misses the most. The walk they used to take by the seashore, listening to the pleasent sounds of waves and smelling the salty scents. Yoohyeon hasn't gone near that place ever since they parted.

 

It was a mistake getting involved with her. But eventually desires wins and hot hands lands on cold skin, fingers cross lines and tongues penetrate where they shouldn't. Yoohyeon knew very well it was a mistake but she always thought it would get better. But you can't ignore the elephant in the room.

 

So in the heat of the moment, Yoohyeon fished up her phone and dialed her friend's number. Not in 3 years did she think she would do what she just did but here she is. She held her breath as the beeps continued, secretly hoping that her old friend wouldn't pick up. But as Yoohyeon was about to press the red button she heard a small "Hello?" On the other side.

 

Then it fell silent. No one hung up and no one said a word. Her heart was beating in , her stomach had trouble containing all the butterflies. The world froze. And suddenly the phone felt scolding hot against her ear.

 

"Are you in Seoul?" Yoohyeon gulped. She couldn't hand up now. Not after hearing the voice she missed. But when she didn't get a reply she only said, "Meet me at the beach."

 

Then the beep followed and her hand hung by her sides. Her heart was pounding in her ears, her blood rushed through her veins and Yoohyeon felt like she could feel everything going on in her body. From the way the blood flows to the way her organs process the food she ate before the fight or how many beats her heart took.

 

Despite everything, she dragged herself to the beach. Standing on the road that separated the beach from the city, Yoohyeon sighed. The sounds of waves crashed against her ears, pleasent smells of food rose in her nose and the small chitter between people kept her curious. Some shops had closed since the last time she was here.

 

With the beating of her heart, Yoohyeoon took off her shoes and socks before stepping into the sand, feeling how the grains engulfed her feet, snaking between her toes and tickling her soles. With every wobbly step she took it felt like her heart would explode. It felt heavy. Memories rushed past her ear like a gust of wind, nostalgia being the breeze that took a tight grip of her shirt and the moon being the energy that kept her going.

 

Walking further down, Yoohyeon sat down on one of the benches, putting her shoes next to her before tangling her toes down into the sand. The wooden bench was slowly falling apart, the texture slipping away like the waves. Her fingers trace the lines of the bench as she waits for her friend to show up. She never even knew if she would come. After all who would talk to someone who stopped talking to you for 3 years?

 

Yoohyeon soaked in the feeling of nostalgia. In the light memories that felt like pictures that were slowly turning brown from age. She soaked in the moon's light and the breeze from the ocean. In the sounds of waves crashing against the shore and pleasant smells.

 

Then she felt another presence next to her and she knew immediately who it was. Yoohyeon didn't dare to move. She was scared that this fleeting moment would disappear like the clouds on a clear day. She was scared that it was a dream. But when the smell of lavender hit her nose like an avalanche, she knew it was real. Her senses heightened, her eyes got droopy but her vision sharpened and suddenly she felt very self aware.

 

When the blonde was sure she wasn't going to break down she glanced to her side. The smooth side profile of her friend's wide sculpted face was illuminated by the moonlight. Wavey black hair gracefully fell down her shoulders and tickled the sharp eyes. Light makeup filled the young face that matured by time.

 

Kim Minji.

 

Yoohyeon had to keep herself from gawking as she gazed at Minji. Last time she saw the woman she had long red hair, a much more fuller face and was taller than her. But seeing her in this light sent Yoohyeon's emotions into haywire.

 

"You called?" Minji's voice was soft like silk and pure like dripping honey. moved so gracefully that Yoohyeon almost didn't hear what she said.

 

"Yeah..." She sighed. It felt like with every word Yoohyeon said she would shrink. "Wanna take a walk? Like the old times."

 

Like the old times. Yoohyeon was well aware that nothing about this walk would be like the old times. The old times where when they didn't have a care in the world. The old time was when the weren't scared to get their clothes dirty, they weren't scared to run down the street in the rain and dance, they weren't afraid of who they were. Of who they liked.

 

"Yeah. I would love to."

 

And they rose to their feet, slowly walking across the shoreline. The water reached for their feet but couldn't quite touch them. Footsteps were left in the sand, imprinted for the ocean to take them away. For waves to wash over them.

 

"Why did you call?" Minji's voice was hesitant something Yoohyeon had learned when Minji was anxious or scared.

 

The black-haired girl never used to be hesitant. She never let Yoohyeon hear that vulnerable side of her. And the few times that she did, Minji would never want to explain what caused it. So Yoohyeon always let it go, she didn't want to risk poking at a bleeding wound.

 

But the truth was, Yoohyeon didn't know why she called. There had been multiple fights in her family where she walked out but never ever thought about dialing Minji. She never needed the girl. But maybe she had learned to surpress the feeling of needing the girl in the first place. Because to society, a girl needing a girl is a disgrace even though it shouldn't be.

 

"I...uh..." She stuttered, trying to make sense of the mumbling mess inside of her head. "I missed you, Minji." The words she practiced everytime in front of the mirror left her tounge as a mumbling mess. 
 

"You didn't call for 3 years, Yoohyeon. Never even left a text and now you dare to say that you missed me." Minji's voice was harsh, the words she was spewing was harsh but true.

 

Yoohyeon didn't call after that night. After the night she realized that what they did is "wrong". She felt so disgusted with herself that she couldn't bare to dial her best friend's number. She left Minji alone in the bed next morning and never returned. The blonde had blocked her number and every social media account. All she wanted was to get the girl out of her head. Because after all society had thought her that loving a girl was disgusting.

 

 "I couldn't bare to look into your eyes." Yoohyeon whispered, keeping her gaze straight forward as to not get a glimpse of thw angel next to her.

 

"I had told you over and over again that what we did wasn't wrong. Nothing was wrong, Yoohyeon."

 

"Yes! Yes it was!" And she snapped. The final wall that kept her emotions from spilling out cracked and the dam was starting to break free. "We are both girls! What would society think?! They- They would deem us as a disgrace!"

 

"So what?! So what if society would deem us a disgrace? What did we ever do to them besides loving each other?" Minji's voice turned small.

 

Just then Yoohyeon made the mistake of looking at her. All the words left her tounge as she saw her best friend's glossy eyes that held such a deep ocean Yoohyeon used to swim in. An ocean with no human contact. No plastic. Just beauty. Just waves crashing against the seashore.

 

"That is what was wrong. We loved each other." And Yoohyeon's tense body relaxed as she stared into Minji's eyes. That's when she saw a glimpse of something breaking. A porcelain doll's facade finally cracking. The soul crying.

 

Minji bit her lip and nodded slowly. "It was a mistake coming here." And she started walking back to the bench.

 

That's when Yoohyeon realized everything she wanted was slipping from her fingers like water. She was losing her again. The blonde followed, reaching for Minji's hand but she squatted it away.

 

"I never said I regretted it." Yoohyeon sniffled and just then Minji stopped, giving Yoohyeon time to continue. "I didn't regret the time we spent together but we aren't supposed to love like this. I'm sorry, Minji."

 

And there they stood. 6 feet apart on the beach where they first met.

 

"Do you still love me, Yoohyeon?" Minji asked but the blonde only stood silent. "I need to know."

 

Yoohyeon sighed and kicked some sand. After all the tries of surpressing what she was taught was so wrong, she knew she still loved Minji. She would give everything for the woman even her life but whe can't.

 

"I'm not supposed to."

 

---------------------------------------

Heyaaa! Thank you for reading this one shot! Such a sad one shot😔.