We weren't meant for each other and it's fine

You weren't down for forever and it's fine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You know I never stopped loving you." Jeongyeon moves her gaze from the can of cheap beer she's holding to look at the girl sitting next to her on the hood of her rusty, yellow mercedes-benz W123. She hasn't seen the girl in two years and she comes back knocking at her door to ruin her again by saying these words.

 

- - -

 

Jeongyeon was busy watching a true crime documentary on her laptop when she hears a few knocks on her door at almost two in the morning. She wants to ignore it but then she hears an all too familiar voice calling from outside.

 

I must be crazy, she scolds herself for getting up from the comfort of her sofa to check who is behind her door at this time.

 

So much for watching true crime and not even learning from it.

 

She settles her eye on the peephole and holds her breath when she sees who's outside; her grip on the door handle tightens the same way as the feeling in her chest. She can barely make out who it is with how dark it is outside but the strands of orange hair that the poor lighting from the street lights illuminates gave it all away.

 

"What are you doing he-?" Jeongyeon's question is left hanging in the cold air as soon as she opens the door. She takes in the sight of Sana standing in front of her, clad in an oversized yellow cream cardigan and tight fitting jeans. She's beautiful but Jeongyeon can now see that her lips are busted and her left cheek has bruised skin all over it- red and swollen.

 

"What- Wait- what happened to this?!" Jeongyeon cups Sana's face with all the gentleness she can muster. Her eyes are not deceiving her when she looks at her up close, Sana's face is indeed beaten and bruised.

 

"Did.. Did Jiwoo do this? Did he?!" The thought of Jiwoo - Sana's husband, awakens the rage inside Jeongyeon. She tries her best to contain her anger, tries her best to not raise her voice despite wanting to bury someone alive. Someone who did this to Sana.

 

"Won't you invite me in? I'm parched, Yoo." Sana tries to show her a smile but it ended up looking like a frown once the pain of stretching her bruised lips registers.

 

Jeongyeon sighs and open the door widely so Sana can enter her small studio apartment. It isn't as big as the mansion Sana is living at but it has everything Jeongyeon needs. It's all she can afford without breaking the bank.

 

"Oh I didn't know you're busy. I thought you're free since it's a weekend and I-" Sana must have noticed the stacks of books, scribbled on papers and her laptop on her coffee table but her talking is cut short when Jeongyeon rests a hand on her shoulder, both of them just standing in the living room awkwardly.

 

"It's fine. I'm not doing anything important." Jeongyeon says as she ushers Sana to sit on the couch as she takes a bottle of water from her kitchen fridge, just a few steps away from her living room.

 

She quickly comes back to ask Sana, "Now tell me, who did this to you?" As she settles to sit on a chair adjacent to the couch Sana is sitting on.

 

"He..... He hit me. Jiwoo. For the first time and I- it's not his fault. I was- I was-"

 

"How is it not his fault that he hit you? You're his wife Sana for 's sake! How can you defend that man like a blinded cult follower." Jeongyeon tries, she really does, tries to not let the anger seep through her bones but it does and her voice raised a pitch higher. She knows Sana doesn't like it when people raise their voice at her, said it reminds her of thunder. Sana is scared of thunder so she tries to not shout even when she wants to.

 

"He.. he saw me looking at your photo. That photo of us from the photobooth when we were in college. I was... I was just wondering how you are since we- we really haven't talked much after we saw each other on my wedding day. I just- I was just- I missed you and he saw me looking at old boxes, looking at the notes you wrote for me back then and he snapped because he knows about our history. It's all my fault." Sana looks down on her fingers fidgeting on her lap. She can't, for the life of her, look at Jeongyeon after she admits to thinking about her ex after all this time.

 

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for being a bad friend. I should've- should've called you and asked how you were doing. We promised to keep our friendship after everything that has happened between us but I- I had been a bad friend to you, Sana." Jeongyeon says, regret dripping in her voice after a few seconds of silence between them.

 

"We both know we can never be just friends Jeongyeon."

 

"I know. But I still want to be a part of your life. I tried to move on from my feelings for you because I want to watch you raise your child and have the dream family and life you've always wanted." Jeongyeon can feel closing, her chest aching at what she said. Sana's happiness has always been her priority even if it meant that she's not a part of the picture.

 

"Sometimes I wonder if I hadn't dreamt too much, if I- just stuck with what I had back then, would I be happier now? I got my dream but I feel miserab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter