Proud

4Memory

Summary: The first time Gahyeon successfully hacked a bank account on her own, Siyeon and Bora were her first supporters.

 

***

 

            The clicking sounds of fingers running on a keyboard was the only thing disrupting the silence of the room. At the central table: two hackers. One watching, the other typing, staring at the screen in front of her, green ones and zeros reflecting in her eyes. Gahyeon had been at it for two hours, from the moment she forced the access to the Global Urban Bank registry to that moment, when she was accessing the account of her target.

            Yoohyeon had chosen this specific case because of the GUB's famous security level. If Gahyeon managed her way out of that on her first solo attempt, she wouldn't need anyone's help for anything after that. From her monitoring screen, the silver-haired hacker already knew the outcome. One deep breath. One click. And…

“I did it!” Gahyeon finally looked up from her screen. “I hacked his account.”

“Huh-uh.”

            Yoohyeon's response was moderate. She observed the younger one's dizzied eyes and the smile stretching on her lips when realisation hit her that she had overcome her final ordeal.

            From then on, Gahyeon was officially a hacker.

“Don't let it get to your head,” her mentor warned. “This one was just small fry. He'll lose money today and get it back tomorrow. Next thing you know, you have a bounty on your head and at least ten solos on your back.”

            Gahyeon stared at her, smile fading. Did she make sure to cover her traces correctly or was she going to hide for the rest of her days? The adrenaline she felt had completely skewed her perception and memories. What if she had forgotten? She felt the hand of her mentor grasping hers.

“Gahyeon, you did everything right. Congratulations.”

            When the student looked at her teacher again she was grinning and opening her arms for an embrace.

“I did it,” the new hacker teared up.

 

***

 

            The next morning, an hour before noon, Gahyeon rang on Siyeon and Bora's apartment door. She usually sent a text before coming over so the couple's first reaction was to prepare for bad news. But the only thing they received was a bag of groceries. Bora was tempted to scold the impertinent right away but she met the hacker's eyes and saw them describe a downward movement to tell her to look inside.

“This better be good, young lady,” the solo grumbled before opening the bag. Her eyes widened the second she saw its content.

“What is it?” Siyeon asked, intrigued by the sudden change. She stepped behind Bora to have a peek and, just like her lover, she froze and looked at Gahyeon in disbelief. “This must have cost you a fortune…”

“It's been a while since you haven't cooked,” the younger one replied with a satisfied smile.

            Inside the bag were all fresh products grown or raised in the green houses and cattle facilities of Biotech Engineering. Only the rich could afford those on a regular basis and only the skilled ones actually knew what to make with those.

            Cooking was a rare skill. One that wasn't considered useful since a simple pill could sustain an individual for a day. Bora, had honed that skill but rarely got to use it. People tend to forget how high-maintenance cyber-limbs can get, and she had two.

“And to what do we owe the honor?” Siyeon finally asked.

Gahyeon's lips curled up even higher, her pride wasn't even contained when she said: “I got my first hacker job.”

            Both women in front of her gasped. Siyeon moved forward first, burying the hacker in her love and pride.

“Congratulations, little one.”

Bora waited for Gahyeon to escape the first hug to retaliate. Holding the young one close and whispering in her ear: “We're proud of you.”

            That was all Gahyeon needed to cry fully. She may have grown up without a real family, and she may not have known those two for long, but it was those words that she had always been desperate to hear from them.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This short drabble of 668 words, to be precise, was inspired by this tweet

If you liked it, feel free to leave a comment. I always love reading them and know that they warm my heart even if I don't always answer back ^^

Take care, everyone, and see ya!