2022

After the End

"Are you sure you wanted to do this?" Tanong ni Karina at tumingin kay Winter. The younger girl scoffed. This is not the first time that they will be doing this. 

"Of course! Live a little, love." Nakangising sabi ni Winter at naunang umakyat sa bakod. She jumped and opened the gate for Karina. Wala naman sigurong CCTV sa area na tinalunan nya. And if meron, then hello jail time. 

Nasa may private garden sila. Nagbubukas naman sila sa mga tao, pero hindi ng ganitong oras. Winter maybe a Marine, but she likes sneaking into places like this. 

"Why did you even take me here?" Karina asked i disbelief. Their spot is just right. Hindi pa sila makakasuhan ng tresspassing. 

"Because there are no reporters around, Rina. We could just enjoy each other's company. Just like in the past." Humiga sa damuhan si Winter. Iniunan nya ang mga braso nya at tumingin sa mga bituin sa langit. The view above is magnificent, but not as magnificent as the girl lying beside her. 

"You still haven't told me about the promise ring," sabi ni Karina. Itinaas nya ang kamay nya at pinakita ang singsing na palagi niyang sinusuot. Her fans and all the other people knew how important the ring is to her. However, they did not know why. Paano ba nila malalaman kung hindi rin naman alam ni Karina?

Winter looked at Karina's hand. Inabot nya ito at hinawakan. She intertwined their hands together and grinned. Her ring fits perfectly on Karina's index finger. 

"I already told you kaya. A backup plan for the future." Karina rolled her eyes playfully. She her side to look at Winter. 

"What plan though? Paanong back-up plan ba?" Winter shrugged. She also turned to her side so she could see her best friend face to face.

"Ang dami mong tanong! Sing me that song. Yung sinulat mo para sakin," sabi ni Winter. Karina shook her head.

"I'll sing it to you some other time. For now, sing for me." 

"Hindi naman ako magaling kumanta!" The taller girl scoffed and sat. She pouted.

"How very humble of you, Win. Kanta ka na kasi!" Pagpupumilit ni Karina. She clasped her hands together, holding poor Winter's hand in the middle. 

"Nah-uh! Magkwento ka na lang." The younger said. She lay on her back and stared at the stars above them. Bumitaw na rin sya sa pagkakahawak ng kamay kay Karina. Her heart might burst out from her chest. 

"Isinulat ko na lahat sa letters na pinapadala ko sayo, Winter." Sabi ni Karina. 

"Wala kang jowa?" Karina looked up and ignored Winter's question. She does not dare to tell her best friend that she is already dating a guy for a whole year. Because she is afraid she will disappoint Winter. Yeonjun is a good guy, but will Winter like her?

"Do you know why our galaxy is called Milky Way?" Karina asked. Winter knew, but she did not want to rain on Karina's parade.

"Why?" She asked. Because it appears as a milky band of light in the sky when you see it in a really dark area, Winter chanted in her brain. 

"Because it appears as a milky band of light in the sky when you see it in a really dark area." Winter hummed in delight.

"I want to be your Milky Way," Winter said. Karina tilted her head as she looked at the shorter girl. 

"Why? Because you'll light up my pathetic dark world?" Winter scoffed. 

"Please. Your world is neither pathetic nor dark." Winter wanted to be Karina's galaxy. That's it. A selfish wish that would never come true. But wishing is all she has.

"I really miss you, Win," Karina said, her lips tugged upwards with a smile. 

"Baka luto ko lang namiss mo ha," she said. Pinalo ni Karina ang tyan ni Winter at umiling. Her phone lit up before she could rebutt the statement. 

A text. From her boyfriend. She looked at Winter who is enjoying watching the stars. She sighed. She wants to stay longer. 

"Well then, Captain. I have a few schedules left for tomorrow. Shall we go?" Tanong ni Karina. Winter stood up and pat her pants. 

"See you when I see you?" Natatawang tanong ni Winter. It was genuine. Karina is busy, she is tired. It is only natural to not plan anything and take a rest. 

"See you, Win." The taller girl planted a small kiss on Winter's cheeks before getting inside her van. Nagpasundo na lang sya sa Manager nya para hindi namapagod si Winter. Hinintay nya muna mawala sa paningin nya ang sasakyan ni Karina bago pumasok sa sasakyan nya.

She felt herself betraying the words she uttered earlier. She leaves as Winter, and as she comes back every time, she is becoming less of herself. And she knew, at one point, she will be no longer Winter. And she hoped that Karina found herself a partner for life before that happened. Because it will hurt her more to see her best friend trying to fix something broken beyond repair.