but the world isn't ending.

goodbye tears us apart

   

Yujin could have sworn she almost throw the quill at whatever just shot through the window towards her seat like a bullet into the empty class. Her chest raises and falls rapidly, she places a hand on it to make sure her heart hasn't jumped out to walk itself to Hospital Wing. It has not, fortunately, but is very tempted to. She takes in a deep breath, lifting her gaze to meet the invader now is whizzing above her head with cheerful sounds.

"Hello to you too, Quack Quack." She says, holding out an arm so the small owl can perch on. He is so light that she almost feels nothing. "You just gave me a heart attack."

Clearly the owl does not take that serious, or he is too busy being energetic, which is doubled now at her sight, to care. He lets out joyful greetings and pecks her skin excitedly. At least he cares enough to do each strike with little force, or else Yujin would have to explain to Yena why she accidentally send Quack Quack to death with a swing.

Her gaze then lands on the letter that has been dropped at her open notebook. The notes about Manticore seem to duplicate themselves, successfully create a maze right after she's forced to take her eyes away, so she deposits Quack Quack on a pile of books to rub her eyes with both hands. How long has she been here? One hour? Two hours? This morning she non-technically does not have any schedule, Professor Bae has cancelled the Charms class for some reason at the last minute, leaving her an abundant amount of time with nothing to do. In the past she would check on Wonyoung to see if the girl is free or bring her broom to Quidditch pitch for a match, but she is in the phase when she does not fancy hanging out that much and chose to visit the library instead.

The good thing is the books she's searched for have been returned and Madam Lee adores her enough to reserve them a few days only for her. The bad thing is the library was extremely crowded today, there's no unoccupied table left and the compromise to share her personal space with someone else was long gone. She whipped out a grin at Madam Lee and thanked her then took all the books back to her Charms class. It's been peaceful and boring like that until Quack Quack decided her world could use some exhilaration, and he was no hesitating diving into his misson.

With a sigh, she picks up the letter and tears it apart. If all those informations about this dangerous Greek beast haven't messed up her mind, then Yujin's sure Yena is in Italy according to her last conversation with Yuri- which is like, ages ago, around the end of her sixth year. Yena might be at French right now, chasing pigeons or devouring bread and sausages in Germany, she does not know. She totally has no idea why Yena wrote to her, the Auror is not even a fan of writing herself.

 

Hey I'm back! I have a week off and incidentally Hyewon and Chaeyeon are free too! Wanna meet up? We haven't gotten the chance to see each other much and we missed you and Wonyoung a lot! Our Patronuses miss you too!

 

She looks up from the note to see Quack Quack twittering madly to what she might assume a melody he comes up with. It does not sound that bad honestly, but her head is aching after hours of flipping papers and inking the tip of her quill, like a hammer to the skull. Quack Quack is not gonna leave until she writes back, she knows Yena too well, but she really cannot endure this any longer. Yujin thinks for a brief moment then decides she should not bother to look for a new fresh of parchment, just writes on the back of Yena's note.

 

Cool cool, I'm free this weekend and I reckon Wonyoung is too. But please be Muggle for a day. One more wizard-related thing and I might scream. None of you told me seventh year is this crazy.

 

She folds it neatly and spends next five minutes trying to tie it to Quack Quack's leg with great difficulty. He's definitely a skilled tap dancer while she's this clumsy beginner trying to follow his beat in vain.

At long last, she inhales deeply as Quack Quack heads to the window and soon out of sight. Raising an index finger to rub her right eyebrow, Yujin does wonder if the message conveys her real wish that she buried under the dry humor. She doesn't want to take a rain-check on this one, it's likely she will start forgetting their faces given another period of missing from each other's life, but she also finds it impossible to join their usual 'tradition', unlike the old time.

Chin on the palm, Yujin stares out at the sky quietly. One year is not a long time, it definitely is not, but Yujin of the fifth year seems like a stranger to her. A person she no longer knows how to become of. She can't recall a time she refused to take part in their silly yet also her favorite doing, but she just did it, and she doesn't expect this will be the last time.

There's a moment she's disconnected to her thoughts as they are all over the place and scattered as broken glasses. When she gets the connection back, she finds it dangerously close to where she's banned it from, drifting to that direction instinctively and she shoves it out immediately. The twist in her heart is ignored and the meaningless words about Manticore are impaled on her brain again despite its own protest.

This is better for her. Yujin hears the repeated voice somewhere. This is better for her, she's fine with this.

She does not need another second dwelling on the pain.

She absolutely does not.

 

 

***

 

 

"Guess who I just met."

Yujin's hand didn't stop feeding herself fried eggs. "In case you don't know, you meet approximately one hundred people per day."

Yena settled on the seat opposite Yujin and Wonyoung, not dignified that statement. "This one's different."

This got Yujin's attention- not the proclamation, they knew better than to believe everything she said, but the tone she used. Yujin gave her a proper first look of the day and halted.

Slowly and wordlessly, her eyes moved to the right with little movement of the neck. Wonyoung was already sending her a do you see that too? expression, her fork's still in the air, half way delivering a mushroom to .

After a moment of muted conversation, Wonyoung put her fork down and broke their eye contact. "Who's that?"

The way she asked reminded Yujin of the time she witnessed a Ravenclaw attempting to feed a Hippogriff in hope of calming it down. It failed terribly, of course, and no students dared to take a step out on the ground until Professor Kang- who's in charge of Care of Magical Creatures that time- came to rescue them with no faintest clue why a Hippogriff was there in the first place.

Yena fixed her gaze on a spot that was certainly none of their faces, high and far away, as if travelling back to the meeting. "The love of my life, Wonyoung. The love of my life."

Yujin shuddered. For the record, she's not allergic to romantic feeling, though she would rather watch one punching and kicking a whole armed group then still coming out alive than be Wonyoung's tissue. Sixteen was the beginning of puberty (for Wonyoung it's fifteen. Merlin blessed her soul for every time she bravely risked her life asking Wonyoung to go out and play) and Yujin wasn't an exception. She found the sight of her friends sneaking confession notes around the class kinda cute to watch, hilarious when Professor Kim lifted one eyebrow at the unreadable handwriting, and terrifying when the paper flew to the awaited palm of Professor Bae.

So yeah, she had no intention of making a 'you aren't in love you are delusional' sign and casted a spell on it so it always floated in front of Yena. It's just, the way Yena let out a dreamy sigh and her pupils dilated and her lips curved up- Yujin closed her eyes for a second and wondered if this was a consequence of Yena's dramatic and comedic tendency, or everyone all looked like this when they fell for someone.

"You are telling me," she said, "that you met the love of your life on the way to Great Hall?"

"Yeah. Isn't that wonderful?"

Yujin pretended she didn't see Yena blinking the same as how those princesses in fairy tale did.

"How?"

"I ran into her." There's not a single hint of remorse in her voice. Yujin was a head taller than Yena and was the only one who could match her strength comparing to Chaeyeon and Hyewon. That girl was either in Hospital Wing now or she had a heavy work-out routine for at least five years. "I just entered the castle and I saw Heejin- you know Heejin right, she's famous for collecting delicious breads from literally everywhere. There's a rumor she and Kim Hyunjin own a black bread market and being Aurors is just a door to new customers for them. Anyway-"

Yujin pressed her lips thin, trying to keep shut. It's not her fault she wanted to leave a snarky remark or question Yena about the percentage of seriousness Yujin should invest in this so-called fate.

"- I caught her holding something and I swear it's the limited avocado bread my team was talking about. I speeded up to catch her and at the same time, a group of students emerged from behind a corner. You know it's hard to stop when you are on full speed and they are too close right? And the bread distracted me too much because usually I can zig and zag through the hallway without any brush-"

Yena's hands glided from right to left while Yujin's considering telling the poor girl to report Yena for her own safety.

"- so I crashed into her! She fell down but since I am the greatest Auror ever, I pulled her back using my incredible flexibility and we were holding onto each other in the end!"

Wonyoung was speechless the whole time. "Sounds like a very dangerous way to fall in love." The youngest one pointed out. Yujin agreed.

"No it's not. It's romantic! Her face was so close to mine and her eyes are this big, her face is this small and she looks like-"

Yujin- actually the whole Great Hall startled when Yena suddenly shot her hand upwards and shouted a list of unfamiliar names, giving them no time to prepare. Yujin heard someone whine at the dropped toast and another was his spilled pumpkin juice. Would be more if she wasn't trying to save her own life.

"Yuri! Here! It's her. Looking like a hamster right?" Blind to what she had caused, Yena dropped her voice at two last parts under the naive assumption that Yujin and Wonyoung were still alive to take a glimpse at whoever Yuri was. "Hitomi, Nako, Minjoo! Come here!"

It'd be sort of rude if someone was invited to your table and you didn't even spare them a glance, so Yujin and Wonyoung- still recovering from the heart attack- turned around and searched for the mentioned people. Not that hard, there were four girls already looking to their direction and the one in yellow robe was massaging her own shoulder. In addition, she kinda resembled a hamster in appearance, which was the only helpful hint because all of them had big eyes and small faces like celebrities.

They navigated their way hesitantly towards Yujin's table- Wonyoung was a Slytherin and Yena had long graduated, she's a Hufflepuff anyway, but there were actually two Gryffindors among the new girls. Yujin observed them subtly, skimming through all the housemates she'd encountered before or simply spotted them somewhere in her head. No match. The Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw also appeared unknown to her. Yujin soon gave up her attemtp to identify the newcomers. Hogwarts was too big even for Yena to know everyone, let alone Yujin.

"Do you mind if we sit here?" The Hufflepuff girl- Yena's current love interest, Yuri- asked them politely. Yujin understood she was referring to every group's 'territory' on the table.

"Totally not." Yujin grinned cheekily as they sat down. Two Gryffindors were on her side and the others were on Yena's. Yuri seated herself next to the Auror. "I'm sorry you had a rough morning."

The joke worked. The girls chuckled and the stiffness vanished, bringing along the awkward atmostphere.

"Guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed." Yuri said, one hand moving up to her left shoulder as if emphasizing what had happened. Yujin liked her already.

"But that leads to this." Yena pressed a finger against the table, her dramatic streak was coming out again. "Our meeting. Do you mean this is a bad luck too?"

"Well..." Yuri flicked her eyes to the enchanted ceiling. The sky this morning was perfect for a take-it-easy and do-nothing start, although Sunday was two days away. It was blue, a hopeful kind of blue, and the lazy clouds wandering above their heads only made time become slower, almost reached the infinity. Yuri's eyebrows furrowed, but the lift at the end of her lips betrayed her. "I'm considering."

"Considering? Who was the one staring at me-"

The duo, or potential couple, depending on how Yena's going to woo Yuri, was a great entertainment to everybody, including Yujin, albeit not for long. Yena had been swept off by Yuri and the chance she remembered five people who were watching them because they basically had nothing to say to each other was lower than zero.

She pulled her eyes away from the comedy and scanned briefly Yuri's group for some first impressions, half wondering who's gonna meet her gaze and initiate the introduction. The chubby cheeks Ravenclaw girl? Well she's definitely the brand of 'tired of living already?' that laughed when Yujin then instantly struck back with a knockout. Her Ravenclaw vibe was strong but her savageness was stronger. That tight-lipped smile on her face suggested she was repressing an urge to throw out a brutal criticism at Yena. Yujin weighed her choices between eliciting it out of the girl and setting the first record of her tolerance.

The latter did not sound that bad. If they were going to be friends (she sure hoped they would) then she needed a (constant) sacrifice for her detailed study of the jokester subject. Yujin deliberately proceeded to the shorter Gryffindor-

She didn't have the opportunity to see how the shorter girl looked like, since just as Yujin's attention shifted to her direction, the one sitting between them, the tallest girl among the group, also turned to Yujin, her big round eyes blinked at her then instantly averted aside. It was too fast for Yujin to be sheepish like her, but it was enough to leave something in her mind. Something like a shy glance, the faintly soft smile that seemed to incise itself around her lips forever, or those thin fingers when she brought them closer to her nose, an endeavour to hide her feeling.

She inhaled then exhaled quietly. There's this thing- she didn't know what is was- just changed inside her, like it was there a long time ago without her awareness, like a flower bloomed, like a candy melting under the sunlight. She was really beautiful, so beautiful in a way that it felt unreal. However, even the most gorgeous person in this world could not hold Yujin with only that. It's the light around her, the pleasant, gentle light covering the girl and reached out to Yujin as comfort.

What she's sure of was she just discovered favoritism.

That's why when her eyes searched for Yujin's again- she knew this girl would, she was waiting for that, Yujin wasn't surprised hearing herself say "Hello. My name's Yujin. Ahn Yujin. What's yours?".

For she really wanted to have this one in her life.

Perhaps what she wasn't anticipating was the different kind of softness lying in her voice. She was consumed with surprise for a fleeting moment, she didn't even know she had it in her. Something only this girl could pull out, Yujin's dimples deepened, and she's very pleased with this.

Kim Minjoo.

Yujin nodded, repeated it one more time inwardly.

Kim Minjoo.

 

 

***

 

 

"I can't believe I didn't meet you for all those years."

Minjoo opened her eyes. Yujin felt her head on her shoulder shift, indicating Minjoo wanted to take a look at Yujin. She let out a quiet sigh when the weight stayed the same.

"Actually," Minjoo's voice sounded like angel's whisper at this close distance, "I did know you before."

Her eyes widened at the revelation. "You did?"

"Yeah." She chuckled, her fingers touched her nose lightly. "You are really famous."

Yujin was too familiar with this. The exaggerated compliments from other students or harmless teasing when Yena, Chaeyeon and Hyewon caught Yujin coming back from a confession. She never thought much of it, really. However, for some reason, the second the words left Minjoo's lips, a heat crept up onto Yujin's face and she sort of wanted to take off the cloak to wear it around her head instead. That way Minjoo wouldn't see her reddening cheeks.

"Well." She cleared . "Would be more helpful if I got to know you in our own house faster."

"You couldn't. Minjoo is sorted into wrong house."

Another voice rang up behind them. Yujin turned around, shortly followed by Minjoo, half wondering what wrong house meant and came to face Yuri, who was grinning like a brat at them. Not far away from them were Hitomi and Wonyoung, both holding lots of things in their arms, heading this way. Yujin squinted her eyes. Under the sunlight, the shape of Pumpkin Pasties was unmistakable. Hyewon was obsessed with them and always had at least one in her bag. She would not say how though, and expecting her to share was the same as telling Hitomi to quit eating bread.

Impossible.

The clearer the snacks appeared in Yujin's view, the angrier Hitomi became, and Yujin guessed this had something to do with the unreasonable amount Hitomi was taking care of while Wonyoung kept bending down to pick up some dropped boxes. Yuri, hands on her knees, straightened her back abruptly in realization, but it was too late.

"Jo Yuri." Hitomi called, her voice held danger.

"Wow you are the best in this world!" Yuri quickly pacified the Ravenclaw by receiving all the sweets Hitomi dumped on her. Hitomi didn't reply, eyes narrowed down to a line. Yujin had a feeling if she blinked now someone would not see the shining sun tomorrow, and certainly that someone was a hamster.

"I will ask Yena to deal with Heejin that cream bread for you." Yuri said in a hopeless attempt to coax Hitomi. It worked, fortunately. Hitomi's eyes were back to the original size. She walked by Yuri, leaving something which sounded like try it again and see what would happen then settled next to Minjoo as if nothing.

Scary.

Yuri dropped the Chocolate Frogs and Fudge Flies on the ground when she sat down in front of them. "Will you two please kindly leave a note of location when you disappear together next time? Just a 'hello we are going to Clock Tower Courtyard you don't have to waste an hour wandering around the castle to look for us' would do."

"Oh of course we will." Yujin calmly answered, hands already opening a Pumpkin Pasty then held it out towards Minjoo. The older girl took it absently, still listening to Hitomi explaining about the absence of Nako. "We'll break into your common room, invade your dormitory and sit there watching your sleeping face until you wake up just to tell you we haven't gotten any idea where to go yet and we will figure it out on the way."

Yuri choked on her Chocolate Frog. Minjoo reached out to pat Yuri on the back, the soft smile on her face was transfixed to watch.

"Don't do that." Yuri threatened her with half-bitten chocolate. "You hear me? Don't do that. I will kick both of you out and you will be removed permanently out of my life."

"Ouch." Yujin placed a hand on her chest. "I was just trying to obey your words."

"Then try not waking up too early on a Sunday morning."

"Or you can stop being a sloth and breath in the air of your common room before noon for once." Hitomi said without looking.

"Don't exaggerate. I do have morning classes and I do see your faces in breakfasts." Yuri brushed off the attack, ignoring the fact that without a class she would stay on her bed until a troll broke into Hogwarts and aimed its way at Hufflepuff basement. "And you." She added, in a sense that she could dodge the first strike from Hitomi but not the second one, moving the subject of focus back to Yujin. "Why are you up so early these days? I asked Wonyoung, she said you were as lazy as me before. What happened to that Yujin?"

Yujin glanced to the tallest girl, who's about to take a bite of a Cauldron Cake and was not ready for the betrayal. "I did not say that." The girl said pointedly. "The question is 'Is Yujin always like this I thought having you, Minjoo and Hitomi were enough', and I replied with 'No, not really'. That's what I said."

Yujin's smile didn't falter as she let Wonyoung off the hook. The gears in her head were turning extremely fast, doing their best to provide her an answer that didn't give her away, because if Yuri was expecting her to admit she changed her precious routine for Minjoo then another thought was coming.

"Oh." She grinned. "Not much. Just a Shin Ryujin standing at the Quidditch pitch at dawn every single day, waiting to make her teammates' lives a living hell until either they or their brooms break."

That's not entirely wrong. This morning Minjoo had to cast Stamina Charm on Yujin after the girl nearly slipped off her own broom, saving them a trip to Hospital Wing and a lecture from Madam Kim. Merlin blessed Minjoo for being incredibly great at healing spells.

"Right." Hitomi said. "Next weekend is the first match, isn't it?"

"Yeah." She nodded, excitement began to fill each word. "Are you guys going to watch me?"

"We will. It's just a matter of time."

"What? Why?"

"It takes an hour to transfer Yuri."

"Stop acting as if I am that lazy."

"So you are not?"

"I am but come on!"

"There's no way we will miss it." Minjoo interrupted softly yet firmly. Yujin beamed.

She could not wait to fly to a smiling Minjoo with their first Snitch of the Quidditch Cup.

 

 

***

 

 

The sound of someone opening the door cut off Yujin's story about how a Hufflepuff in her Potions Class mixing up wrong ingredients and ending up with a potion which smelled like expired milk. Wonyoung quieted her chuckle, both of them stared at the door, waiting.

Nako took her time to emerge into the room, one hand holding a book that could knock Yujin out cold with a hit, the other one waving at them. The thing was, Yujin loved to be around her friends. She loved having someone she trusted to talk about what had happened during her day, to throw teasing back and forth, to laugh together at her own joke and to share those thoughts she couldn't carry around anymore. People usually dubbed her an energetic extrovert, that she understood, but she's actually not, and throughout the surface of a loud Gryffindor, she always found a way to sneak bit by bit alone time for herself. Gradually, out of people's notice, she had a lot of free time when it's just her and what she had tried to ignore. She didn't like that much to be honest.

That's why before Yena, Hyewon and Chaeyeon's arrival, Wonyoung was all she had. The first name leaving when her mom asked her who she wanted to take with to get ice creams downtown. (Her dad was in a corner, crossing his arms and pursing his lips. The hat was still in his hand, waiting.) The only person appeared in her mind when she climbed down from the window in the middle of the night, head bursting and heart twisting. The word that had her quills in first year talked, they could have snarled 'Oh I know who you are going to write to. Get out, leave me alone. Jang Wonyoung this Jang Wonyoung that. Don't you have anyone else?'. And Wonyoung would write back, That sounds like a great place for us to explore next year. Yujin, I will be with you in a few months. It's gonna be all right. I promise.

Then her world expanded at the beginning of third year when Yena accidentally mistook her for Chaeyeon and shoved her a bag of sugar quills, telling her to run. It didn't end well. The prank. Upon Hyewon. Obviously. First, she just wanted to visit her house-elf Zalby for a toast and the opportunity to tell Yena politely she had gotten the wrong person was taken away by a very professional tackle (Yena screaming in distance only made it worse). Second, why the heck did they want to test their chance of survival by messing up with Hyewon's food?

So yeah, that was the most fatal way to make friends one could come up with in Yujin's opinion, but if a sprained ankle and several bruises lasting for a week was the price then she's willing to pay again, as long as she got to see them groaning about classes and planning new pranks at her table.

(Under the half amused, half disapproving stare of Wonyoung, of course.)

(And maybe delay that cost for several years. Hyewon's extraordinary ability to see nothing except food was something Yujin believed they should teach in Defence Against the Dark Arts class.)

Chaeyeon, the youngest among them three, graduated with an invitation from Magical Law Enforcement Patrol, which was supposed to make her sad a bit about the predictable absence in fifth year, and it did. It did, until Yena barged into Yujin house that summer, hugging her parents cheerfully and told Yujin she's back at Hogwarts. Apparently, there's a new advanced test for seventh year only and Madam Bae could use some help from Auror team. Despite her casual comment "You sure this has nothing to do with that time you put a dungbomb in front of Tomes and Scrolls?", Yujin went to bed that night, chest light and couldn't stop smiling.

So far, she's content with this, especially after Yena found out a new dangerous way to be friends, or lover, depended. She's content to break off Wonyoung's calm aura and make her laugh freely as who she was. She's content to present the brightest grin to Nako and say she missed the older girl. But when, when Minjoo walked in, soft greeting rolling off her tongue, contentment was not the right word anymore.

How could it be when with the rest it's this warm color she's familiar to but with Minjoo, it's a bright, sharp one that pouring and painting the whole room in no time? How could it be when it made Yujin look at everything through a different filter in which her focus was always Minjoo? How could it be when she beamed so hard that it hurt the moment Minjoo pat her head gently?

"You've looked almost too happy since yesterday." Nako remarked smoothly. "But that's acceptable I guess. One of the best catches I've ever seen in my life." Then, in a softer voice, she added. "Sorry, Wonyoung."

In return, Wonyoung just chuckled and waved her hand. "I'm fine. Sport spirit. Right Yujin?"

"Right." She winked, enjoying the compliments that had been flowing on her for awhile now. "Where's everyone else by the way?"

"Well, Yuri is blackmailing Hyewon, again. Hitomi is in a meeting with Professor Son, something about her being brilliant at Runes," Nako shrugged, "and Yena will come once Yuri's here, we all know that."

Yujin pressed her lips, the dimples on her cheeks deepened. "I can't believe we've been friends with Hyewon for years and none of us can get her to share food against her will. You guys have just come for three months and Yuri's already robbing her."

"That's what it takes to be a brat. Don't you think what should be discussed here is where Hyewon gets all those Chocolate Frogs and Fizzing Whizzbees and Cauldron Cakes?"

"Oh don't worry." Wonyoung said. "We don't know too."

"What?"

Yujin seized the turn with her eyes shut. "I can ensure you that we already had a script. You just need to follow our lead and Ministry of Magic won't be able to touch your hair."

At first, Nako replied with a raised eyebrow, considering it a joke. But as time passed and Yujin's serious expression remained the same, her fingers started to wrap around Wonyoung's left wrist, as if preventing the girl from running away and leaving her with a crime she didn't commit. "What does she mean? Why is Ministry of Magic related? What is she talking about?"

And Yujin lost it. Her laughter echoed the empty class, prompting Nako to pick up her book and plonked it on Yujin's head. Wonyoung had to hold Nako's hands back and reassured her that despite the unknown resources, Hyewon was never someone who would risk everything for food, she just risked a bit, a tiny bit, that's all.

Minjoo was staring at Yujin with her lips curving up when her gaze rested on the older girl. It was such a good laugh, her stomach did hurt a bit. She opened her right shoulder, excitedly inviting Minjoo for a chat. The seventh year Gryffindor began with a shake of head.

"Nako almost gave you a reason why you miss the next match, d'you know that?"

"Ain't worry much." Yujin grinned. "You are here."

Minjoo looked away for a second, saying nothing. Yujin lowered the head, doing her best to hide her smile.

"Do you like the Snitch?"

The words came out like a whisper only for them to hear. Minjoo tilted her head, gaze returning to Yujin. There's only softness in her eyes.

"I like it a lot."

This time, Yujin let the smile spread across her face. Minjoo mirrored it perfectly, and all she could think of was how can you be this beautiful and where have you been all my life-

Both of them startled at the sudden intruder, turning their heads to find Shin Ryujin standing in the doorway, jaw falling down in surprise.

"Oh sorry sorry." The captain of Gryffindor Quidditch team bowed rapidly. "I thought no one's here, Yuna told me so..."

"No problem, cap." Yujin flashed her a thumbs-up.

"I'll go now." Ryujin stepped backwards, hand reaching to the door. Excitement and pride surged in her voice at the sight of the Seeker. "Yujin I'm proud of you. I'm really really proud of you. You were amazing yesterday. Good job."

Then, same as Nako, Ryujin addressed the only Slytherin in the room with an apologetic tone. "Hey Wonyoung, sorry about that. Your team was cool too. Hyejoo was a such tough one, I wish she's our Chaser."

Yujin breathed out a laugh. "Don't let Choi Yerim hear that."

And Wonyoung gave a similar answer. "It's fine. Sport spirit, right?"

"Definitely. I like that." Ryujin gave Wonyoung a finger gun and snuck in a final "Yujin we love you! Ok bye!" before closed the door.

They sat still, staring at the large wooden rectangle as though Ryujin might crash through it again to give Yujin extra ego boost. A full minute of silence, then Wonyoung cleared to pull everyone back to reality. "Maybe I should write sport spirit on my forehead. This is like the ninth time it's left my mouth today."

"That's not a bad idea actually." Yujin grinned. Not everyday Wonyoung offered her a chance to rib the girl. "Minjoo can I borrow a quill and ink? I promise I'll be fast."

"No Minjoo. Don't listen to her."

"But you just said-"

"I did not say you could do it."

"Oh then Minjoo can right? Here Minjoo-"

"Leave her out you know she can't refuse-"

The cracking sound from the door halted them one more time, and they looked to it, wondering who would it be this time, another student or Shin Ryujin who couldn't resist the temptation and came back to sculpture a statue of Yujin.

"Yooo." Yuri walked through the door, arms folding and being filled with Chocolate Frogs. Yena was behind her, carefully not to drop any Cauldron Cakes while shutting the door with her foot.

Yujin watched the sweets falling like rain as Yuri and Yena dropped them. "I bet Hyewon regrets giving in Yena's words and going back here just to meet someone who robs her every day."

"Please. Looking into her slitted eyes is so hard these days." Yena lamented loudly. Yuri shut her up with a mouthful of chocolate. Yena sent it down in a swallow and continued to open . "Anyway, saw Ryujin on the way and she looked like she's drunk some weird potion. You were that cool huh?"

Yujin snorted at her friend. Whipped. "You were there. You tell me."

"Well, not as cool as when you ran to Minjoo just to give her the Snitch."

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see redness creeping up onto Minjoo's face and her ears. Yujin breathed out in determination, pressing the shyness even further inward, masked by a smirk. No way she's gonna let Yena win that easily. "What? You jealous?"

"Oh I am." Yena leaned across the table, accusation heavy in her voice. "You never gave us a Snitch even though we've been friends for years. You caught it for like, what, three seconds? You hop on the broom and next minute the Snitch was in your palm. What is this favouritism, Ahn Yujin? What about us?"

Facing Yena's continuous attacks, all Yujin did was giving her an disinterested stare. Now she knew why Yena and Yuri were attracted to each other. One was a thief and one was a dramatic comedian, what a great match. Another thing in common was their hopeless attempt to make Yujin blurt out a confession about anything that related to Minjoo.

 

"Yujin?"

Yujin looked up from her shoes, blinking. She then instantly stood up, right hand grabbing her broom and approached the seventh year Gryffindor briskly.

"Minjoo?" Yujin could hear the happiness in her voice. "What are you doing here?"

"I come to wish you luck." Minjoo said shyly, her knuckles touched the tip of her own nose gently. "Though I don't think you really need that. You are great already."

"Oh I can always use some luck." Her smile widened. She didn't think it could be stretched more than it already was. "Does this mean you have watched me before?"

Minjoo refused to meet her teasing gaze. The sun today was perfect for a Quidditch match, especially the battle between two Seekers. Still, it only reached the true definition of perfection when half of Minjoo's face was covered in its warm and bright light.

The answer came out quietly, but it was louder than any cheering to Yujin. "I did."

"You know, I remember you told me you knew me before we met since I was famous." Yujin tilted her head. Oh how much she was enjoying herself at this. "You never told me how though. How did you start to notice me."

In another situation, she might follow Minjoo's gaze to see what's so interesting out there that had managed to hold the older girl's attention better than the one in front of her. In this one, however, she just wanted to squeal and perhaps allowed herself to create more shades of pink on the Minjoo's cheeks. For Merlin's sake Minjoo was so cute.

"That's hard to answer." Minjoo finally said. "I guess it began gradually. You were really famous, you still are, and everyone talked about you. My friends in Quidditch team, my Professors, sometimes a chat that took place near where I stood. I started to notice something was always in there. A name in those conversations, showing up in various way but all leading back to compliments. So I remembered your name. Then I figured out you were in the boisterous circle I often met but never paid much attention, so I also remembered your face."

Minjoo paused, as if putting words into order. "I began to notice you since then, I guess? Sometimes it would be you eating well your meals, or you teasing Yena and laughing loudly after that, or you veering your broom sharply and cheering like a child when your teammates hugged you, or you walking past me, complaining about your upcoming test to Wonyoung."

Yujin flushed, bitting her under lip as Minjoo chuckled.

"It's like you just... happened to be there. So I noticed you. And after awhile I'd made a picture of you from my observations, and I'm happy to say you are that person when I officially know you now, as your friend."

Yujin did not say anything. All those informations were too much for her. Minjoo had been observing her the whole time. Someone was out there, quietly watching her and every step she made. She could have just ignored it, ignored Yujin, thought she was another chaotic kid and went on with her life instead. But she didn't. She had put effort into Yujin, someone who she never talked to and were not aware of her existence. Someone who may or may not be worthy, but she kept doing it, not asking for anything in exchange.

Did Minjoo know...?

It didn't matter. Not now. She took a step closer to Minjoo. It gave her a strange joy when she noticed Minjoo didn't step backwards.

"Say Minjoo, do you like the Golden Snitch?"

Minjoo blinked, expression changing to puzzlement. "The Golden Snitch? I don't know. Why?"

"What if I gave you one?" She took in a deep breath, fingers tightening around her broom.

"Oh." A soft smile spread across her face slowly. Yujin tried to remember how it bloomed. "Then I shall treasure it."

Yujin only nodded in return. She bade Minjoo goodbye and joined her team, only one thought was in her mind. 

She's going to have that Snitch. There's no other option. Not at all.

 

"Go back in time and tell your old self do not persuade Hyewon to try her experiment on me and I might consider." was what Yujin chose to present as an explanation.

Yena leaned back, chin holding high up so she could look down on Yujin. More like glaring. "So this is personal."

"Pretty much, yes."

"I see." The fake disappointment poured out from her voice. She put her elbow on Yuri's shoulder, her chest jerking along her theatrical crying. "Years raising you up, and now you are like this to me..."

Yuri did everyone another favor by shoving a Cauldron Cake into Yena's mouth, turning her sobbing into muffled whine.

"Cut the nonsense." Yuri grumbled. "Don't you have someone to meet later? Are you going to bring your rumbling stomach there and let it do all the talk?"

Yena pointed a finger at her inflated cheeks, then upwards, then drew a large circle. Each movement translated itself in Yujin's head automatically. Yes but this is murdering. You are murdering me, and the next meeting will he held in heaven, and I'm going to tell anyone who's gonna meet me there you guys were never in Santa's list.

Welp, experiences did come in handy.

"You still have a meeting?" Wonyoung asked. "You are busy these days, Yena."

Wonyoung had overrated Yena by giving a question and expecting for an answer that wasn't going to arrive anytime soon. The Auror wiggled on her seat, struggling to move her jaws. They had been open for a while now and Yujin wondered whether she should pull Minjoo closer to her, just in case Yena decided spitting it out was a better choice.

And more disgusting.

"I think she needs some water. The kitchen is nearby, I will fetch it myself." Minjoo said and got on her feet. Yujin glanced to Yena, the exposure of Yena feigning it in hope Yuri would be panic was on the tip of her tongue, but she just shrugged and put her Chocolate Frog down, preparing to follow Minjoo.

"I'll go with you."

Minjoo turned, looking at Nako.

"Sure." The girl smiled, and Yujin watched them shut the door softly behind their backs. She pouted and picked up the chocolate. That was close.

"You can breath in three Pumpkin Pasties at once for a bet but cannot chew a small cake?" Yuri sighed, patting Yena's round cheek. "Eat."

Yujin sniggered when the cake disappeared quickly. Lame, but effective. Six out of ten, probably. Omitting one point for making Minjoo leave. Five out of ten.

"What can I say." Yena grinned at Wonyoung. "Everyone loves me."

"So what's the job?" Yujin asked, couldn't bring herself to entertain Yena. "Testing out the exam with Heejin?"

"No. And next time I'll go with Hyunjin."

"Why?"

"You know we try the test on each other right?" Yena rubbed her nape. "It was Heejin's turn. I was ready to defend myself when something suddenly exploded and I paused-"

"But Heejin didn't pause." Yujin finished the sentence.

"Yeah." Yena winced at the memory. "It's not that hurt, she didn't use all her strength but that gave me a trauma nevertheless. She's totally incapable of multitasking. Either she doesn't do it, or I get hit. No thing in between."

"That sounds like Hyewon's new bestfriend." Yujin laughed. "Either you don't touch her food, or you get tackled. No thing in between."

"Not anymore." Yuri said solemnly. "I am in between now."

"Yes. And you are the new world's wonder." Yena said.

"Chaeyeon would love to meet you all." Wonyoung said past her laughter, a faintly fond smile around her lips. "She's going back too, this weekend I reckon."

"How did you know?" Yujin turned to her.

"I was troubled with Transfiguration, so I wrote her a letter. She sent back an essay and a note that she's coming back, though she didn't say why."

"For a meeting." Yena said nonchalantly. "The more, the merrier."

Yujin eyed her cautiously, scrutinizing for any hint that alerted them they shouldn't press the topic further. Nothing. "Is that meeting confidential?"

"Not really. We are going to choose some outstanding seventh year to teach them Patronus spell."

Wonyoung and Yujin paused, blinking. "Did you just say- Patronus?"

"Yep. Ridiculously advanced, but fun when nail it." Yena tried to blow the hair that was blocking her view away and failed.

"Wha- Only seventh year?" Yujin groaned. "That means we can't learn?"

"Professor Hwang said so."

"Not fair. I want to learn it too."

Wonyoung was ignoring her. "Have you guys made the decision? Are the girls chosen?"

"Not yet." Yena shook her head. "Gotta wait for Chaeyeon."

Yuri stopped, a line appeared between her eyebrows. She didn't say much today, only threw a criticism here and there, mostly at Yena. She must have pondering whether joining deserved her effort or not. She could be so lazy sometimes that forming an audible sound was like leaving the bed early on a Sunday morning: extremely painful.

Yuri adjusted her posture, her shoulder was pressed against Yena's and she let it be. "Actually if they don't choose any of us, we'll be fine."

Yujin frowned in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Keep it a secret, alright?" Yuri gave her a look. "We all know how to cast it."

Yujin could only stare, because what? "You do? Already?"

"Yeah. Since last year."

"How?"

"Sakura and Eunbi taught us."

"Sa- Miyawaki Sakura and Kwon Eunbi?"

"Unless there's someone having the same names, then yes."

"You know them?

"Of course. They raised us up. Couldn't make it this far without them."

"You don't look surprised, Yena." Wonyoung remarked out of nowhere. It's true. Yena's silence was deafening.

The Auror hummed. "I talked with her about this before."

"Since we are able to conjure our Patronuses, we want to give the chance to someone else if chosen." Yuri said, proceeding to unwrap another sweet. Yujin's afraid Yena's going to have diabetes the day they finally dated.

"What's your Patronus?" Yujin was quick to ask.

"A mink."

"A mink?" Yujin repeated, imagining one right next to Yuri's face and her small features. The dots that connected between their personalities. "Makes sense."

"Took me four whole months to finally greet it. Nako and I were the last to produce. Nako conjured a sparrow the same day I did, just few hours later. Hitomi spent three months and half, Nako had to pay me a butterbear when an otter came out. And Minjoo," she gave an actual smile, only pride was in it, "was the fastest one. Two months. Sometimes people only see her beauty and her softness, they don't see what lies under that. She's always the bravest, smartest, and most determined among us."

Yuri might be a brat, might be the most annoying person in this world because she could mimic Yujin in a way that Yujin had to repress her desire to do something that might lead to Yena wrestling her later; she could just sit there, listening to people and suddenly gave an unsolicited tease and began an endlessly childish bickering, but she's a brat who loved her friends.

"Godric Gryffindor must be proud to have her." Yuri muttered. "Or else."

Yujin recalled a sunny morning and a sentence she had wanted to ask about but kept forgetting. "You once said she's sorted into wrong house though. What does that mean?"

"That's a joke. We all bet Minjoo would be in Ravenclaw with Hitomi, so none of us was not shocked when the Sorting Hat yelled Gryffindor, except for Minjoo. Come to think of it, we did understand why now." Yuri shrugged. "Nevertheless, teasing her is fun."

"True." Yujin agreed. As their laughter filled the room again, mixing with the breeze blowing through the window and colliding against their faces, Yujin felt her heart lighter, dissolving into happy notes.

 

 

***

 

 

"Are you sure the kitchen is that close? By the time you come back I'm going to leave in ten minutes."

"Sorry." Minjoo offered Yena an penitent smile, putting down a cup of pumpkin juice. "We were... stuck."

"Stuck?" Yujin scanned her quickly for any sign of injury. "You alright? What happened?"

Nako was rubbing her shoulders. "She's fine. She just had a gathering of Kim Minjoo's fans. Could be longer without my intervention."

"What?"

"House elves love her." Yuri explained. "Even mine. They flock to her like she's their goddess. Try going with her once and you'll understand."

"They are nice." Minjoo blushed. "They like you too."

"Yes but they don't look at me with those bright eyes and shining faces as if I saved the world."

"I gotta go." Yena stood up, drained the cup in a one gulp, then shoved a handful of Cauldron Cakes into her cloak. "I will borrow these... and these..."

"Don't say borrow if you can't return." Yuri said.

"I can. Just not-"

"Finish it and I will kill you."

"Brutal. Why do I like you?"

"I don't know. Why do you?"

"Good question. I will give you the answer tonight."

"Too much information!" Yujin shrieked. Minjoo chuckled, patting her arm. "I'm still a child!"

"If you are a child then I'm still in kindergarten." Yena didn't look away from the sweets until she made sure there's no place left in her cloak for more of them. Before moving out of her seat, Yena reached out to ruffle Wonyoung and Yujin's heads. "Do you two want to learn Patronus spell?"

There's a moment of silence when the youngest ones exchanged glances. "Uh- yes?"

"Okay." Yena walked out, gesturing to the rest. "Ask them for some tricks. When Chaeyeon's back we will teach you how to conjure your Patronuses."

"Wait." Wonyoung called after her. "Will this violate the rule?"

"The rule? No. If it does, have I ever cared?" Yena grinned. "I'll see you two very soon."

 

 

***

 

 

It was very interesting to learn that when Minjoo succeeded, out of the end of her wand burst a silver hoofed ruminant mammal that galloped around her as though it had known her forever. Not a goat as Nako had bet. Not a hare as Hitomi had predicted. Not monkey as Yuri had .

Not a fox as Yujin had immediately came up with in her head.

But a doe.

It made sense in some way. Minjoo was quiet and observant. She did just stand or sit somewhere for years and knew Yujin better than she knew herself sometimes. She could point out that Yujin usually cough after eating peanut and she should refrain that, or she needed no glance and could stop Yujin from bouncing her legs any time. Gentleness and love were in her blood, she was the most patient person in the world and all of this only proved the doe as the right Patronus.

So Yujin didn't understand why she's obsessed with the image of a fox lying next to Minjoo, lazy and peaceful. What kind of voodoo magic that had her so attracted to this unreal scene and turned the doe into an intruder she never thought of. It got her frustrated, and it would have stayed that way for a long time had she not stared at Minjoo in a beautiful day and suddenly understood.

It was her eyes.

She had carried around the first impression of Minjoo resembling a vixen and didn't even notice it. The more the time passed, the deeper it sank into her, and trying to dig it out to plant in the doe instead was almost impossible. But she had to try. She needed to learn how to accept that a doe would dart out of Minjoo's wand every time she said the words, and the small fox would be a secret that she hid away deep inside her heart. It should not be that hard, Yujin was generally open to new ideas and easily adapted to what's not her usual choices, so she didn't expect this to resurface again.

Leave it there in the dark land ruled by time.

 

 

***

 

 

"Do you have anything else you want to ask me?" Yujin asked, genuinely concerned and not at all annoying.

"No." The girl smiled, shaking her head. They stopped at the entrance to the Great Hall. Yujin could feel it still, everyone's eyes on her. Staring, pointing, gossiping. Why couldn't they mind their own business? "Thanks for helping me, and sorry you had to do all the job alone."

"You are welcome. And don't apologize, you can't control being sick."

The girl gave her another smile, pulling out a notebook from her bag. "Here you go. Your notes helped a lot."

She could hear the noises growing bigger. Glancing above the opposite shoulders, Yujin eyed directly a group that was watching them as though they were some kind of a circus, then swiftly turned her attention back to the girl. That should be enough. She smirked inwardly when they shrank under her glare.

"Lucky you. My friends usually say that my handwriting is a disaster." She put it in her her bag, ready to close the conversation. She's hungry. Obviously the girl had read it on her face as well.

"It's not, but I think I should go now. I will see you around."

"Oh, are you skipping dinner?"

"Just today, I have something to take care of. Enjoy your meal, Yujin."

"Thanks. See you later, Sung Ah."

Sung Ah turned around, walking away and ignoring those students on the sides, who were pretending they're there in pure coincidence. Yujin stared after her then shrugged. Her stomach just rumbled, threatening her it would make the world hear its noise if she kept standing there.

Welcomed her when she settled down next to Minjoo was four pairs of worried eyes. She took the plate Minjoo gave and let the girl fill it with various food. "What's wrong?"

Yuri squinted her eyes. "Did you just have a friendly chat with Park Sung Ah?"

"Yes?"

"Park Sung Ah, as in the girl who dated Kim Chaewon then dumped her and made us panic for a whole month because Chaewon couldn't stop crying?"

She set down her fork, trying to keep the offence out of her voice. "Yes, that one."

Wonyoung sensed her annoyance immediately. "We are just worried, Yujin. She has... hurt many people, and we would like you not being one of them."

She softened at Wonyoung's gentleness. Minjoo put her hand on Yujin's right knee and gave it a light squeeze. She sighed, totally deflated. "I know. I'm sorry. It's just, she didn't do anything to me. I know what people say, I know, it's everywhere, I was surprised when she came to me too. We were paired in Herbology class and she missed that day because of a flu, so she came to ask me for my notes and I explained what she didn't understand. It was simple like that. She didn't do anything else. I couldn't detect any unsual motivation lying under her action."

She released the fork and dragged the hands across her face. "I couldn't ignore her and tell her to stay away from me. Had she crossed the boundary, even just a little bit, I would have straight up asked her to keep distance and get someone else to help. But she didn't. It wasn't friendly, I wasn't trying to be friend her, I was just-"

Yuri muttered quietly as she was too impotent to carry on. "I understand. I'm sorry."

She looked at the Hufflepuff through her fingers. "I'm sorry too."

Yuri stabbed a bacon and Yujin shuddered. That definitely had nothing to do with the bacon. "If she dares to do anything... This time none of you can stop me. No one messes with my friends."

"Your Patronus should have been a lion." Nako said, an attempt to ease the atmosphere.

"Stop hating on my mink." Yuri grumbled, though her brat side was slowly coming back. Nako let out a quiet sigh in relief.

"I'm still with the sloth." Hitomi huffed. "There must be a mistake. I will study about this and prove to you a Patronus can be tricked by the witch."

"You are just bitter you lost the bet." Yuri sneered. "Both of you."

"Technically it can't be called a bet when no one won." Nako said. "But yes, we are bitter. Thanks for confirmation."

Yujin watched them in silence, secretly leaning over Minjoo's seat, whispering. "They bet on my Patronus too, don't they?"

"Yes." Minjoo stifled a chuckle. "They have been going on about it since the start."

"What's their bet?"

"For Yuri, a puppy. Hitomi, a stag. Nako's is a wolf."

"Did you and Wonyoung join?"

"No."

"It's hard to live in a world where there's only two people you can trust." She muttered sulkily, earning a pat on head from Minjoo in return.

"I can't wait to see yours Patronus." Minjoo's eyes curved into moon shape, Indian dimples showed up and light shone even more. "You were such a fast learner. I heard Chaeyeon compliment you so much." She then pouted, adding. "Though I didn't understand why you didn't allow me to tag along."

"It's a surprise." Yujin grinned. "I promise you will like mine."

"I will like your Patronus no matter what." Minjoo said, her fist raising, hiding her angelic smile. "But sure, Yujin."

 

 

***

 

 

"I wonder what Professors would tell if they know the ones they invited here are the ones who persuade us to break rule." Yujin muttered, heading towards the entrance to outside.

"We aren't breaking rule." Yuri lowered her voice. "We will be back before curfew."

"And how did they find out that place again?" Nako asked after a short pause in which one of Wonyoung's classmates passed by and they greeted her briefly. "How come we never knew about that part of Forbidden Forest?"

"Because you don't prank upon half of this school then spend most of your life avoiding being pranked back." was Yujin's reply.

"Fair enough."

"There's the Whomping Willow." Wonyoung reminded them. "Don't stand too close to it."

"Such an ideal spot for meeting." Hitomi grumbled. "Let's pray no one will run into us."

"Minjoo?"

Yujin's breath stuck in for a second, because that's neither Yena's voice nor Chaeyeon's, and Hyewon was too busy eating to bother picking them up. For Merlin's sake it's not even a girl's voice, there's a boy behind her and Minjoo, and Yujin stared at everyone's backs before, excuses shooting like fireworks inside her head. God bless her soul the words just left Hitomi's mouth, was it too late to pray?

She felt Minjoo turning around, and she followed, ready to defend themselves.

"Jaesung?" A hint of recognition was in Minjoo's tone as she addressed the man, a Ravenclaw one. "Why are you here?"

"I could ask you guys the same." The boy smiled, his brown eyes flickering at each face swiftly. His gaze halted at Yujin for a fleeting moment, too fast for anyone to notice, but not Yujin. "Hi Hitomi. Hi Nako. Hello."

"Hey." Hitomi and Nako raised their hands while Wonyoung and Yujin gave him short nods.

"So what are you guys doing here?"

"We were wandering around, you know, jogging after dinner." Yuri said.

Jaesung glanced to the Whomping Willow, his eyebrows furrowed slightly in worry. "I don't think this is a safe place to take a walk."

He sounded really kind, so Yujin said, "Actually we were just dropped by so I could check if my broom was still alive. My teammates jinxed my broom and it flew straight here, landing in the Whomping Willow."

"If that's the case then I am sorry in advance. That vicious tree never lets anything off the hook." He pressed his lips together in sympathy.

"It's fine. I just want to try my luck." She shrugged, grinning.

"What are you doing here Jaesung?" Yuri said, doing her best to end the conversation.

"Oh I was actually wondering if I could encounter Minjoo today. Professor Lee has new feedback about our project, it's not long, so I tried to find her everywhere but I couldn't. I came here instinctively. Did not think you would be here to be honest." He beamed. "Guess I was lucky."

But they weren't. With each passing second of them standing here, they had less time to hang out with their Patronuses, and god Yujin had done her best to conjure her own in the span of two months. She didn't want to arrange another meeting, she had promised Minjoo and she wanted it to happen now.

Minjoo was showing a set of gestures she usually did when she was nervous, anxious or shy. This one was certainly not shyness.

"Jaesung, I would like to discuss with you right now, but I have to bring Yujin and Wonyoung back to their dormitories soon." She offered him an apologetic smile. "Can we postpone this until tomorrow morning?"

"No problem." His gaze moved to Yujin, and this time it stayed. "Yujin, right? Minjoo did mention you before. You sound like a great person with how she has described. I hope you can get your broom back, even at the smallest chance."

"Thank you." She said, though that's not her subject of focus. She shot Minjoo a quick glance. It came as no surprise the seventh-year Gryffindor found everything more interesting than this conversation. "Minjoo mentioned me...?"

"Yes she did. She said, uh, well," Jaesung cocked his head to Minjoo's direction, asking for permission.

The words were almost inaudible, just enough for Yujin to hear. "I said you were one of my favorite people."

"I was curious. Whenever we part ways, if I ask, the answer will always be she's going to meet you." Jaesung explained.

"Is that so?" Yujin chuckled. "Thanks for letting me know."

"You are welcome. I will go now. Bye you guys. See you tomorrow, Minjoo?"

Minjoo looked to him, softly nodded. "See you tomorrow, Jaesung."

 

 

***

 

 

To produce a Patronus, one must think about their happiest memory and concentrate on it, nearly reliving it in Yujin's opinion. Finding a happy memory wasn't hard for Yujin, not when she had a bunch of people she thanked for their presences in her life every night. What made it extremely difficult was the endless disturbing factors combined with human's poorly ability to focus. Their worry in the succeed of conjuring their Patronus, the embarrassment or disappointment if they failed, the slightest sway of thought to their awaiting lunch, or the fear that was consuming them if before them was a Dementor. Anything could be a distraction, and the faintest distraction would ruin the whole thing.

So to sum up, two months of practice was a living hell for her. A hell that she had thought it could kill her in a way that Shin Ryujin could not, because Quidditch was visible, but her mind wasn't. Dealing with a Golden Snitch was much easier than sitting and blocking out each irreverent thought flying around like mosquitos.

But it was worthy. Yujin watched a black bear approaching Minjoo and circling her as if setting a protective wall. The light illuminated Minjoo's face, and Yujin stared, almost transfixed, at her bright smile and her pure joy when the bear lingered around. It then dart away, joining Yena's hare, Hyewon's polar bear and Chaeyeon's swan, but Minjoo's smile didn't follow. It stayed, adding to the most beautiful scene she had ever seen in her life.

It was totally worthy.

 

 

***

 

 

"What's your plan after you graduate?"

Minjoo shifted her head. Yujin did not need a look to know the older girl was peeking at her side profile. "Me? I am going to join Ministry of Magic."

"What will you do there?"

"A legislator. I want to devote myself to fixing some rules that no longer work for us, especially weak people."

Yujin hummed, her voice was unreadable. "That is awesome, Minjoo. It's meaningful, and it suits you."

"Thank you." She could hear shyness in it. "What about you?"

"This reminds me of last month. Professor Bae asked me the same question." Yujin breathed out a humorless laugh. "I will give you the same answer I gave her. I don't know."

"It's alright. It's not something to be rushed. I don't even think that can be rushed, it is ruled by time and fate. You will have your answer along the path."

"Does it mean time and fate had guided you?"

"You can say so. It happened two years ago, I can't really say much since my knowledge about the case of my cousin is also limited, but he's an innocent victim who suffered badly because of old rules." Minjoo rubbed her eyes. "A matter of conscience, I would say."

"You can do it." Yujin said after a moment. "If there's anyone who can do it, it's you."

"Thank you." Minjoo muttered softly. "Thanks for trusting me so much."

Yujin would have shrugged if Minjoo hadn't been leaning on her shoulder. "You're worth all my trust."

"You too. I place all my trust on you."

Yujin only breathed, not giving it a response. April was right around the corner, and the sun was getting brighter everyday, bringing up the temperature with it. The Forbidden Forest from this spot appeared like a normal forest that wouldn't risk life to get in. She thought about the remaining chances she's saving to see the light from her black bear shining on Minjoo's smile.

"It will be busy right?"

"Hm?"

"Your job."

"I assume so."

"And you will be there most of your time in the Ministry right?"

Something seemed to hit Minjoo, because the girl moved her right hand to take Yujin's left one and interlocked it. "I will write to you whenever I can. I promise."

"Please do." Yujin said quietly. "I will wait for you."

 

 

***

 

 

"I don't want this to end."

Hyewon didn't open her eyes. "You can't cast a Patronus forever, Yujin."

"Not that." Yujin shook her head. "This. Us."

Besides her, Chaeyeon moved closer, then Hyewon, then Yena. Yena's hare jumped in the sunlight towards a swan, a bit farther two bears were together, doing little of movements. They would be gone in a minute, or two, she wasn't sure. She only knew it would be fast, and there's no way to stop it.

Chaeyeon reached up to massage her hair. "We will find ways to visit you occasionally."

"No. I don't want you to worry." Yujin kept shaking her head. "I don't want to disturb your time. We are all busy and that's understandable."

"Personally I don't think anyone will be too busy to check on someone they care about, even just for a minute." Yena said. "If we both want it in an extreme level, it will happen somehow."

"For once I agree with Yena." Hyewon hugged Yujin's shoulders. "I admit we will be quite busy next year, but we'll ride it out together. I will send you food from places I visit, that much is certain, unless I get knocked out and is in a coma for months."

"I will write to you." Chaeyeon grinned. "You know I love writing."

"I already feel bad for your owl." Yena chimmed in. "He'll have to carry a Quaffle-size rolled parchment across countries and still don't get paid."

"Don't exaggerate. It's Bludger-size and it's not that heavy."

"Like I'd believe." Yena snorted. "Well Yujin, I will send you something more special than what they can."

"What?"

"Jo Yuri."

"Isn't she gonna be a Muggle singer?" Hyewon asked. "That job is super busy though?"

"Yes she- Wait how did you know? As far as I remember Yuri hasn't announced this yet."

"Your future girlfriend has been robbing me relentlessly and I take it as my duty to protect what's important to me."

Hyewon's glare slid off Yena, leaving no effect. "It's not my fault she figures out how to blackmail you. And knowing her unrevealed future career doesn't exactly explain your protection."

"Yuri being busy means Hyewon can swing by school without fearing for her food." Chaeyeon kindly offered an interpretation. "Imagine should she stay and be a Professor."

"A nightmare." Hyewon muttered.

"You know I will ask her to be my girlfriend soon right? The faster you accept your destiny, the easier it will be for both of us."

"Or you both can learn how to be civilized and not a couple of thieves."

"Why don't we focus back on Yujin?" Chaeyeon said, unable to endure this any longer. "She was trying to tell us about her feelings."

"It's fine." Yujin laughed. "I had fun."

"On a serious note, it's her wish to swing by and check on you and Wonyoung." Yena said. "Check on you and visit Hogwarts, two birds with one stone. Might not be frequent since being a trainee is extremely exhausted and time-consuming, but she will do it."

"She should rest." Yujin said weakly.

"I don't intervene with her choice."

"That's how Yuri shows her love." Chaeyeon smiled. "Underneath that playful surface is a lot of love to give away. You just need to accept it."

"The only reason why I haven't sued her." Hyewon sighed.

"Things will be all right, Yujin." Chaeyeon placed a brief kiss on her shoulder. "We will see each other less, we will have different paths, different lives, but we still are a family."

Yena raised a fist, each finger came up as she listed. "We will walk out of your fireplace when you are having your dinner and sit with you. We will Apparating into your bedroom in the middle of the night to share your bed. For me, I will ride a Hippogriff and you will have to open your biggest window or else I'm making a new hole on your wall."

It drew a small laugh from Yujin. "Good." Yujin said. However, her next words came out too fragile to be a joke. "Because I don't know what to do if I lose any of you."

"You won't." Hyewon said. Even when it didn't sound passionate the way Yujin usually ensured her decision to people, Yujin knew Hyewon meant that. Truly meant that.

Her shoulders finally relaxed. Things were not utterly fine, she was not entirely fine, but perhaps they would be, she would be, along the way. She just had to keep moving.

For now, she enjoyed this moment.

"Promise me you won't let your worry about me disturb you?"

"We are friends. Friends worry about each other, Yujin." Chaeyeon said gently. "But we will try."

"Keep it a moderate degree."

"Sure." Yena said. "Every time I start thinking about you and Wonyoung I will weigh my thoughts carefully. You won't get more than what I'm about to set for you."

Yujin chuckled. "Please do that. And take care of Yuri, will you?"

"Of course. She's my future girlfriend."

"And future wife." Chaeyeon added.

"Oh I haven't had any plan for that. I'm thinking about only date and not marry her."

Hyewon's eyes lit up, indicating a new round of bickering. Yujin smiled. What else could she want in this world if not this?

"Hyewon, where are you going?"

"Saving this world."

"She's going to tell Yuri."

"You will say nothing. Hyewon, Hyewon-"

 

 

***

 

 

She didn't mean to do it. That's not who she was, not the character she's familiar with for sixteen years of living in this world. It sort of just happened. The door was ajar. The hallway was empty. She didn't want Minjoo to wait so she arrived fifteen minutes earlier. And then there's Professor Lee's voice, loud and impossible to pretend she did not hear it. She could have turned away, the neurons in her brain were about to fire an order for her to comply, but the words slipped into her mind really fast, and she paused.

"- you two are the most brilliant ones I have ever encountered! An extraordinary couple!"

She heard laughter, an awkward one, then a male voice. "Professor, we are not a couple."

Jaesung.

"Oh you aren't?" Professor Lee sounded surprise. "I thought you two were. You look good together, and you're both smart and kind."

"No no we aren't."

"But I do think you are a good match. Jaesung is really handsome, warm, clever and generous, while Minjoo is the most perfect human being I've ever seen. Do you ever think about, well, you know, dating each other?"

Yujin silently pressed her back against the wall, almost impaled herself on it. Her breath came out heavily, as though such a simple doing required all of her strength.

"Uh, Professor-"

"We are focusing on studies at the moment, Professor." A voice which was too gentle, too soft, and too precious to be in there spoke up. Yujin blinked, that's not a yes.

But not really a no either.

"Right. But you are going to graduate in a two months! Then you can start thinking about it, and maybe one day I can brag with other Professors how I played Cupid for the most famous couple in this school!"

She didn't know how Minjoo replied, or how horrible Jaesung was at trying to wave off the offer, because Yujin left before this could hurt her even more.

 

 

***

 

 

"Zalby?"

Some house-elves lifted their heads and gave her a quick glance, then back to their job like they did not care. Had Yujin been stable she would have appreciated this so much.

"Miss Yujin?" A house-elf hurriedly came at her way, eyes big and reflected everything, including her face. Yujin averted her gaze for a moment. It was terrible to keep looking at. "Miss Yujin, why are you crying?"

Yujin knelt a leg down, trying to keep herself together. "Listen Zalby, can you do me a favor?"

"Zalby can do everything for you!" The house-elf squeaked, but his ears dropped quickly the next second as he nervously said. "Miss Yujin is crying. Miss Yujin is in pain."

"Zalby, I'm-" fine. I'm fine. She tried to rip it from . Again and again and again. It wouldn't came out. It was so much of a lie that it refused to come out. She tried to swallow it down instead. Didn't work. It's like swallowing her own heart. Couldn't work.

"Zalby, listen, Minjoo is going to wait for me in front of my Charms class in ten minutes, and I need you to go there, tell her I'm sick, and I'm sorry I cannot meet her." Her voice was an unbearble thing, cracked and shattered. "Please, Zalby. Please go there and tell her so she will not wait for me."

Zalby's hand went up hesitantly. She saw his worried eyes through her tears, and when he touched her shoulder tenderly, Yujin whispered. "Please, Zalby. Please. I cannot meet her, but I can't let her wait for me. It's going to be a hopeless waiting, because I am not coming. I won't come. I can't come."

"Miss Yujin-"

"And please don't tell her anything. Keep this a secret, alright?"

She must have appeared really pathetic, because Zalby only looked at her as though it broke him to see her like this, and nodded. "Yes, Miss Yujin."

 

 

***

 

 

The dormitory wasn't the ideal place to go back since she could not stop weeping, so Yujin avoided everyone as much as she could and headed straight to Forbidden Forest blindly. She's aware it's dangerous to go in alone, she didn't intend to be the lunch of some weird creatures with sharp teeth anyway, but everywhere seemed to be able to be found by Minjoo, and she actually would rather face a giant spider than meet Minjoo right now.

Forbidden Forest was extremely large. All she needed to do was marking the spot they usually gathered at, then walked towards the opposite direction until she felt safe enough to stop running away from this reality. Then she would have all the time and all the space to cry her heart out.

 

 

***

 

 

Someone was approaching her bed quietly. "Yujin?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you feel better?"

"Pretty much, Jiheon." That's a lie. Her voice was barely audible past the curtain.

"Do you want me to drop by Hospital Wing and get you another potion?"

"No thank you. I just need another round of sleep." If Jiheon went there, Madam Kim would say she never came, and they would force her into a check-up which was totally useless. Her pain wasn't in the arm or the leg or some fingers despite her wish. It's deep inside her chest, deep yet also immense. It's filling this room, then this castle, then this world, giving her no place to hide.

"Okay." Jiheon said gently. "Oh and, Minjoo just asked me about you. I told her exactly what you asked me to."

If Minjoo comes, please tell her I'm really sick and I don't want to meet anyone. "Thank you, Jiheon."

"Don't mention it. I just want you to rest well. Do you want some hot soup? I can get you some."

No, all she wanted was to sob. "That sounds great. Thanks."

 

 

***

 

 

She should have seen this coming.

The thought popped up in her head in the middle of that night, when her roommates were soundly asleep, darkness already fell and silence covered the room. Yujin lay on the bed, palms underneath her head, staring at the panel above.

It was reasonable. It made sense. Explanation wasn't provided in a clear way but she'd somehow managed to get straight to the conclusion, something along the line 'it's easy to fall in love with her.'

She thought about skipping all activities the next day. That's not possible. There would be a last match right before Shin Ryujin graduated, she wanted to give the girl a memorable final game as a gift, so attending practice was a must. She would not be Ahn Yujin anymore if she allowed her personal stuff messing up with other things.

But Quidditch was Minjoo. Minjoo would be there, and she would also be in Great Hall, same table as hers, waiting, worrying, and Yujin's heart would squeeze, constrict, twist, then break.

This world used to be too big, but now it's too small. Every directions she turned to would have someone she knew, and she did not desire any interaction at the moment. She just wanted to be alone. All by herself. Trying to stitch her heart.

Yujin turned to her side, burying her face into the pillow. She's tired. She's not going to say this could wait, because Yuri, Nako, Hitomi, Minjoo were going to leave in two months, together with Yena, Hyewon, Chaeyeon, and while she dared not to think what would happen after her world went back to a dull, empty space, she would like to keep things how it was for a few more days, even with a painful effort, so they would part ways with a smile and not a frown. There's a lot to think about, alright, but she's simply tired. Exhausted. Her swollen eyes shut, consciousness slipped away and the waves retreated for awhile.

The moment she opened her eyes again, the world was already wearing a new cover, and so was Yujin.

 

 

***

 

 

It was difficult at first, how she walked into the world, carrying a new exterior after several attempts to glue it onto her skeleton. They all failed badly, of course, so while the excuse of sickness hadn't expired, she avoided everyone and waited until the unfamiliar skin started attaching, allowing her to walk around in it.

Which was also failed. The avoiding part.

Everyone inquired her. Her friends (Minjoo recieved a distorted smile and a brief glance, don't criticize her she had done her best), students passing by in the hallways, ghosts floating in the air, professors, Quidditch teammates, and Yujin was going to scream if another one came to her with furrowed brows and told her she looked pale. Yes she looked green. Yes she looked drained. Yes she's sick. No she didn't want to go to Hospital Wing.

She had never realized this before, but oh god why was it so hard to be alone? She had proceeded to lock herself in the dorm, keeping the curtain closed no matter what for three days, and only once it was opened by an outsider. She could not stop that person, not when that was Jang Wonyoung.

She nodded when Wonyoung asked if she was alright, stayed quiet when Wonyoung tilted her head, giving the Gryffindor a sustained staring, and blew out a quiet breath when Wonyoung leaned back, face towards ceiling with thinned lips. She had decided not to press it further for Yujin's sake.

"Tell me if you need anything." was what Wonyoung said before she pulled Yujin into a short hug. At that moment, as Wonyoung's warmth and scent embracing her, Yujin wondered why she couldn't tell the girl she just realized she's in love with Minjoo, who seemed to take a liking on Jaesung. Then Wonyoung released her, Yujin gave the girl a weak smile, and things settled.

She would not tell anyone, at least not now.

However, when she woke up the fourth day, the thought of staying in this prison any longer without doing anything killed her, so after classes she wandered to deserted places, mind busy calculating the percentage of encountering any of her friends, especially Minjoo. For most of time, she didn't. She didn't run in them, fortunately, because she always spotted them before they did and hid away. It's annoying her to a certain peak, acting like she's some sort of a criminal, but it also had an advantage. It allowed Yujin to stare at Minjoo from a far, trying to satisfy the crazy urge to sprint towards the older girl, to see her smile at the sight of Yujin and hear her heart thumping against the chest when Minjoo called her name.

It's maddening how fast things changed when feeling wasn't the same.

And then there's jealousy. The burning feeling that flared up when Jaesung entered the view, still so kind as ever. Ten times she caught a glimpse of Minjoo, five times he would be there, accidentally or not, talking, chatting, making Minjoo smile. And she would stand there, letting the jealous, bitter, and painful wave drown her. She didn't hate him, she tried not to. It's not his fault he liked Minjoo and it's not his fault Minjoo liked him back. She had recognized them, the bright light in Jaesung's eyes appearing only around Minjoo, the one she noticed at Whomping Willow tree but shrugged it off, thinking it's normal since who didn't like Minjoo?

But the more she tortured herself, the more she questioned her belief. There was no lingering look after Jaesung's back, no special smile for him, no unusual attention and no Yuri teasing Minjoo. Yujin packed her emotions in a box and put it under her bed, carefully scrutinized the scene.

Yeah.

Yeah.

Maybe she still had a chance.

 

 

***

 

 

"You look better today." Hitomi remarked slowly after she had sat down for awhile, breaking the frozen atmosphere. She lifted her gaze, glancing to them briefly, then lingering at her side for a quick moment, smiling at a perplexed Minjoo.

"I missed you too." She grinned cheekily. Time seemed to slow down.

And things burst into motion at the same time.

Yuri pointed a finger at her, words shot out of faster than any speed of a duel "You didn't just disappear for a whole month then come here and say I missed you too!" while Nako held the Hufflepuff back, coaxing her in vain "She has just recovered oh Merlin don't kill her!".

On her left, Wonyoung sat still, her face unreadable. She gently put a hand on top of Yujin's. "Are you sure you are totally fine?" here? With us?

Yujin heard what she didn't say. She nodded her head slightly. "I think so." She breathed out, ignoring the light twist of fear. "Yeah. Yeah I think so."

"Good. Because you owe us an explanation." Hitomi crossed her arms. "You made us worried sick, Yujin."

Minjoo cut her off before she spoke up, saving her from dealing with an angry Hitomi, who's now a human version of a Manticore. "The symptoms can stay up to a month, Hitomi."

"Yeah but-" Hitomi uncrossed her arms, annoyingly blowing out a deep breath. "You could have let any of us taking care of you at least."

Yujin, still surprise at Minjoo's help, deflated in guilty. She did cut them out, and Minjoo- she was too kind for Yujin. She couldn't give Minjoo any less attention during that time (stalking was different it didn't count) and here was the girl, taking her side no matter what.

"No I- I actually owe you an apology." She sighed. "I was- I didn't want to affect any of you."

"We are your friends." Hitomi said, voice soft. "We signed up for this ourselves."

"Thank you." She whispered. "I'm sorry."

"Do that again and I will wreck havoc your common room until you let me in." Yuri huffed, no longer mad.

"I suggest you take it serious." Nako said. "Even though we're going to graduate in a month, she can come back, and she will come back."

Right. The graduation. Yujin felt her heart sank deeper, pulling down the corners of . She pressed her lips together, trying to keep a weak smile there for everyone to see, then turned to her right.

She didn't know what she was expecting. Minjoo looked the same, but not the same. Like... More beautiful. More shining. Like the world orbit around her, Yujin's world, to be exact.

She slid down a hand to the bench, putting it in between them, palm up. "Please forgive me?"

Minjoo's eyes curved up. She took Yujin's hand carefully as though she's afraid she would fracture the taller one. "Of course."

So this was happiness. Yujin beamed.

Her little beautiful vixen.

 

 

***

 

 

"Watching sunset?"

Yujin moved her head, waving at Shin Ryujin. "Hey cap, long time no see."

"You just saw me last week." Ryujin settled next to her, waves of energy crashing into Yujin. She lifted her face, letting the sunlight kiss her skin. "This is nice."

"Yeah." Yujin exhaled. "Best thing to do after a hard day at classes."

"Wait until you are in seventh year. It's like ten Quidditch matchs happening at the same time and you have thirty goalposts to score."

"Wow." Yujin raised her eyebrows. "Nope. No thanks. I'm fine. Professor Bae likes me enough to keep me fifth year forever anyway."

Ryujin barked out a laugh. "Oh I wish the same thing could happen to me."

"So how's that professional Quidditch Player working out?"

"Wonderful. Gonna meet Moonbyul in September."

Yujin choked on her breath. "MoonbyulNo way."

"Yes way." Ryujin's nose almost touched the sky with how high she's raising it. "Jealous?"

"Are you kidding me? She's the best Beater in this world!"

"I'll make sure to mention you to her. Probably gonna get you a signed autograph or something."

She smiled, nudging Ryujin with her elbow.

"It's good to see you like this." Ryujin suddenly said. "We were worried about you."

Yujin stared at her, a line appeared between her brows.

"Yeji used to tell me that when a talkative person became quiet, we must love them more than how we usually do." Ryujin watched Choi Yerim veering skillfully in the air before throwing the Quaffle through the middle goalpost, a faint lift at the corners of her lips. "Honestly you talked too much, but the atmosphere surrounding you was quiet. You didn't want us to think, did you?"

Hearing no answer, Ryujin carried on. "Try not to overwork yourself. We have never seen you that quiet, and we would like not to witness that again. Don't underestimate us. We have thousands of eyes here and your slightest change in emotion will be reported to us immediately."

"That's kinda creepy."

Ryujin grinned. "Then don't give us a reason to do it."

From here, the sun was a big Quaffle moving slowly towards the horizon, bathing the whole scene in its warm, drowsy light. Yerim's smile was bright as usual, and Sungchan, their Keeper, yelling something that vaguely sounded similar to stop bullying me, which was encountered by one of their Beaters, Kim Minjeong, instantly then don't steal our cakes!

This was so beautiful that it hurt.

"Remember that time Heejin brought you to the tryout? I sincerely believe that is the best choice she's ever made in her life, even before the decision to pursuit Kim Hyunjin."

"Heejin is still here." Yujin smirked. "You might want to thank her with a Butterbear later."

"Nah she's with Hyunjin all the time. Without Yeji I'm only a lonely third wheel."

Yujin chuckled. That was true. 2jin was annoyingly sweet and if she viewed the couple as a lovely sight before, they recently made her think a lot about what ifs.

"I can't believe how fast time flies." Ryujin shook her head lightly, nostalgic filled her eyes. "When I first met you, you were shorter than me and had this shy smile on your face. The following week, you were already running around us as if you would never run out of energy. Eunseo couldn't stop talking about you."

Yujin blinked, repressing the rising sadness. "Good old days."

"You were the youngest one, and still is." Ryujin scratched her nose. "This should be some kind of legend I reckon."

"Agree. How come a team has ninety percent of members born in the same year?"

Ryujin shrugged. "Eunseo called it the year of fate, though that fate will me dry for the next months."

The tryouts. Most of members left this year meant they had to fill in many vacant positions at once.

"I talked to Jisung." Ryujin jerked her head towards the Beater between Minjeong and Sungchan. "What do you think about being the leader?"

Yujin turned to her, eyes widening. "Jisung...?"

"He's busy. Being an Curse Breaker is going to take away all his time, Quidditch is the only hobby he can schedule among his upcoming packed months. Besides, you are a natural leader, we both know that."

"I don't think I have a choice here." Yujin teased.

"Actually you don't. But, just in case anything happens, tell Jisung, alright?" Ryujin said the first part jokingly, then awkwardly pat her shoulder. The older girl wasn't good at showing her care in physical way, unlike Choi Yerim.

"Alright."

"Jisung did say he can manage to be leader though."

"Cap, I'll be fine." Yujin reassured her. "Seriously. I'll be fine."

"Okay." Ryujin breathed out, her shoulders dropped in the act of relaxing. "I'm glad."

The grass and the trees were turning into a darker shade of color, soon her teammates would land on the ground, bickering and ribbing each other, trying to treasure what's left. A light, fresh breeze hit against Yujin's skin, and she wished the world could stop at this moment, perfectly captured her youth.

"What are you going to do after the graduation? Not your career, but like, a vacation or something."

"Oh that. Yeji wants to go on a trip with me, just two of us. Go to another country, visit some places, see beautiful sights and experience new things together, basically just couple stuffs."

"Basic stuffs yet making your jaw nearly dislocated."

"Yeah." Ryujin ran her fingers through her hair. "Yeji's effect, I suppose."

Yujin remembered the pretty Hufflepuff who always waited for Ryujin after the practice with a bottle of pumpkin juice. She recalled her bright smile, her thin figure, her soft temperment and her sharp eyes.

Vixen-like eyes.

"Cap."

"Yeah?"

"How did you know you like Yeji?"

Ryujin looked to her, confused by the sudden interest. "What?"

"How did you know you like Yeji?" Yujin patiently repeated.

"I'm not sure. Yeji asked me once and I told her the same. Maybe if I really want to, I can give an explanation, something like, you know, she's really kind, she helps people around her more than she helps herself; she's really soft, she merely treats this world with love despite how much it's hurt her, or she's clumsy in a cute way, you have to see she trying to make a Cauldron Cake." Ryujin shook her head fondly. "Had it not been for Foppey- her house elf, I really don't know what her kitchen would have turned into."

Ryujin looked and sounded so in love that Yujin felt happy for her.

"If this is too personal, you don't have to answer." Yujin said carefully in a masked voice. "What did you feel before you arrived to the decision to confess?"

Ryujin's brows furrowed as she pondered on the question.

"I just wanted to be with her." She ended up with a simple answer.

"Were you not... scared?"

"Scared? Of what?"

"Of her rejecting you."

Ryujin stared at her as if realizing something. "No. Yes. I mean, I was, but it's nothing comparing to my urge to let her know that I love her. I want her to know there's someone who loves her that much, who loves her with no part that can love any less, who loves her because of who she is and it's just a pure admire with nothing else in it. Like just, love, only love. I want her to be happy. Do I make sense?"

Yujin absently stared into the distance, her voice was barely audible. "Yeah. Yeah you make sense."

"You know, I think it could have broken my heart if she'd rejected me. But we would move on eventually, because we have done our best, there's nothing else we could do. Sometimes it's just you falling head over heels and she staying still. It will hurt receiving a sad gaze in return, but how would you know if you haven't tried? Just tell her first. Let her know. Then the road will pave the way itself for you."

"Okay." Yujin whispered. "Thanks."

Ryujin ruffled her hair with a grin. "Tell me that when you succeed."

 

 

***

 

 

It's all that kept her going through the graduation. She stood there, in the sea of mixed crying and laughing people, staring at Minjoo with obvious adoration, opening her arms wide when Minjoo came asking for a hug.

"You will go to my birthday party right?" She whispered after Minjoo had leaned back, eyes shining and nose red. They kept their arms loosely around each other, leaving a small space left.

"Of course."

She smiled, gently wiping away the tears rolling down Minjoo's cheeks. For once in her life, graduation wasn't a sad song with leaving people as hurtful notes.

"I will wait for you."

 

 

***

 

 

Everyone was already there, inside her house, way before the party had start. Wonyoung, profited from the advantage of a neighbor, had stayed overnight and helped her mom decorate the living room while Yujin and her dad furtively tasted all the sweets. Hyewon, Yena, and Chaeyeon came around ten in the morning, bursting the living room with noises and bones cracking sounds as they gave Yujin a physical test in the form of a group hug. Hitomi, Nako, and Yuri arrived during the sun set, melting her parents' hearts immediately using their sweet smiles and shy gestures. Watching them with a sniff, Yujin considered to provoke at least one of them to chase after her so she didn't have to witness this any longer, it gave her goose bumps to be honest. However, Yena was faster, and they sat on the back porch, cheering for Nako when she raised her wand and conjured a flock of birds to attack Yena.

Everyone was there, loud and free, a youthful chaos no matter where they were, Hogwarts or her house.

Everyone,

except for Minjoo.

Minjoo had sent her a letter early that day, telling her she might be late because of some unexpected things, but she would be here in evening, that was certain. Yujin folded the note neatly, tucking it away in one of the draws containing all kinds of envelope. She went looking for Wonyoung, found her in the kitchen, drained the cup of water the girl handed her and began devouring the breakfast Wonyoung had made. The news was kept a secret, and even though she would definitely tell Wonyoung later, it retained her appetite and sort of a start a birthday should have had. Anything but a gloomy voice revealing an equally sad announcement.

For her, today felt like an eternity. The house was full of people she loved, and they loved her back, she really couldn't ask for more. But something was missing. Someone was missing. The emptiness that only Minjoo could fill floated in the air, hovering over her figure, forcing Yujin to acknowledge it. She counted in her head. Three hours. Two hours. One hour. Darkness was already here. Where's Minjoo?

"Birthday pup." Yuri poked her. "Get up. It's present time."

"Present? Then what's the broomstick servicing kit for?"

"I'm generous enough to give you two gifts." Yuri said shamelessly. "Come on, get up or else I'm giving it to someone else."

"Alright alright." Yujin got on her feet and followed the girl to the back yard. "What is it? Are you getting me a new broom? Only a new broom can make you pull me out here. Oh Yuri."

"Quiet." Yuri threatened her. "Stay here. Don't move. Shut your eyes. One peek and your gift is gone forever, you hear me?"

Yujin saluted. "Yes madam."

She caught the footsteps of Yuri moving away, the sound of the door opening then closing, indicating she'd gone back inside, probably grabbing the Nimbus 2000. She could hardly hide her beam, jumping lightly in excitement and totally wasn't ready when a pair of hands covered her eyes from behind. Why would Yuri do that when she had obeyed the girl and dared not to sneak a glance?

"Guess who I am."

Her heart leapt. She whipped around, too ecstatic to care about anything, instantly holding Minjoo tight, lifting the girl up and swaying a full circle, which eliciting a small yelp from Minjoo before putting her down.

"I'm so happy you came." She said, body trembling from glee.

"Of course I would come." Minjoo muttered, burying her head into Yujin's neck. "Happy birthday, Yujin."

"Thank you." She beamed, her heart was this close to exploding, and while she's worrying Minjoo might notice something unsual with how loud each heartbeat was echoing in her chest, Yujin didn't let her go. "I'm happy. I'm really happy."

Minjoo replied by tightening her arms around Yujin. "I'm sorry I couldn't come sooner."

"Don't bother it. You are here now, that's all I care."

"Is everyone here?"

"Yeah. We are waiting for you."

"I brought your gift." Minjoo said, lifting her face to look at Yujin. "Do you want to receive it now or later?"

Yujin grinned excitedly. "Now, please."

"Okay. Close your eyes."

When she saw the girl again, her gaze landed on the box Minjoo's showing her. Through the transparent wrapper, she recognized the blueberry cake she once told Minjoo she's obsessed with yet could rarely eat. The only place sold it was two cities away and her mom was busy enough to travel there back and forth just to figure out a silly recipe. She looked back at Minjoo, whose instinct to hide her face due to nervousness was blocked by the cake.

"You made me a blueberry cake." Yujin said stupidly. "How?"

Minjoo shrugged. "I have source."

"This is amazing."

Seeing Yujin being astonish by her present painted Minjoo's cheek a faint shade of pink. "I'm not sure it tastes as good as the ones at shop. It took me a whole morning to make it, I failed two times and had to ask Eunbi for help."

Remembered the story of Yeji and her disastrous kitchen, Yujin stifled a laugh and accepted the gift carefully as though taking a treasure. It was, in a way.

"I honestly don't want to eat it." She muttered, still staring at the cake.

"I can always make you another one, whenever you like." Minjoo offered.

Yujin smiled, placated. "Really?"

"Yeah."

Yujin located the cake firmly on her left arm, fingers grasping the jutted edge, giving any accident no chance to occur. The other hand was held out towards Minjoo, awaiting.

They had held hands before, enjoying it nothing more than a platonic intimacy, so when Minjoo slid her thin fingers in and gave Yujin a light squeeze this time, a deep breath was very needed to refrain herself from yelling or screaming or spilling out some words that shouldn't be said now.

Minjoo's skin was smooth, warm and very soft. Yujin could feel something inside her shaking, hungry for an escape. She distracted herself before anything happened. "Let's go in, shall we?"

Minjoo smiled, eyes curved and dimples showed up, little vixen was right here, within her reach.

Yujin was so in love with her.

"Yeah. Happy birthday again, Yujin."

"Thank you again, Minjoo."

 

 

***

 

 

"Can you go with me later to this place for a moment?" Yujin whispered when Hyewon shot out of her chair, lunging at Yena, who just stole the last bite of her cake and currently was waltzing around the room, dodging the grabs of Hyewon and slaps from people taking both of them as dangers. Sit down Yena, you almost knock my cake over!

"Of course." Minjoo whispered back, letting Yujin pull her closer, avoiding Yena and Hyewon passing by. "Where are we going?"

"There's a park nereby, ten minutes walking. Wonyoung and I love it, we used to take our brooms there and praticed when we were still kids. I want to show you the park, it's empty most of time, certainly is now, and the sight is beautiful. You will love it."

"I will love everything you show me." Minjoo said. "But sure."

 

 

***

 

 

No one tried to follow them to the park. Hyewon was busy choking Yena, Chaeyeon's busy rescuing the Auror, Yuri's enjoying the scene too much to leave, Hitomi and Nako had joined her father's discussion about a Runes book he kept in his bookshelf, and Wonyoung was involved in an affectionate chat with her mother.

So it's just two of them. On a starry night. Alone. Fingers interlocked, tightly clasped.

Hundred thoughts were running widely inside her head. She wondered what would be least lame to strike a conversation before Minjoo's totally taken aback by an out of nowhere "I love you". Her attempt to prepare a short eassy just in case was quickly dropped, she decided to let thing be, because all she cared was telling Minjoo there's a recent change in her feeling which made her see the blooming flowers, hear the song of the wind, taste the strange yearning for "basic couple stuffs" and own a new will to protect a person at all costs, only asking for their contentment, their peace and their happiness in return.

She just wanted Minjoo to know.

 

 

***

 

 

Minjoo spoke, eyes fixed at the line of street lamps circling the park, warm light on the green grass and her breath-taking beauty. "This is so beautiful."

"I'm glad you love it."

Minjoo turned her head to Yujin. "I told you, I will love everything you show me. Your Patronus, your new technique at catching the Snitch, the park where you spent your childhood, everything."

To her own surprise, Yujin flushed. "Okay. I got it. Thanks." She awkwardly cleared . "Two more hours and I'm officially seventeen."

"How do you feel?"

"About being seventeen?"

"Yeah."

"I don't know." She blinked. "I don't think there's actually many differences comparing to being sixteen. Life goes on. The world keeps spinning. Maybe in Muggle sense we are able to drive and drink and so on, but then it will subside eventually, dissolving into a bland taste, and we will realize nothing has changed at all, just an illusion about a new life, new world we have hoped the new age would bring." Yujin paused, recognizing the dark, truth was leaking out by accident. "I like being seventeen, the same way I liked being sixteen and will like being eighteen. I just don't think it's about the age itself, more like, what we will do with that."

"I understand."

"Why did you ask me?"

"No particular reason. What will you do with this new age?"

The chance was right there, she just needed to seize it. Yujin took in a deep breath, wishing, hoping, praying.

"In fact, I have something I want to do when I turn seventeen. Minjoo, I-"

"Minjoo!"

She turned around, wondering why the heck Yuri chose such a good moment to interrupt her confession-

She heard something crack, and she wasn't sure if it's her determination or her heart that splintered. It's jarring how unchanged Jaesung was, of course he just graduated two months ago, it's not like he's going to show up in grey hair with wrinkles at the end of his eyes, what was Yujin thinking? He's here, the memories attached to him were here, vivid and sharp, coming back to haunt her, drown her. Yujin realized they had never left.

She heard herself say okay when Minjoo told her she would be right back. She thought she nodded when Yuri approached her, explaining why Jaesung was here. Ministry and a wizard, emergency and magic, whatever it was Yujin couldn't recall, and she couldn't careless.

Because so many things were flashing in Yujin's mind at once. They overwhelmed her, emerged at a speed she could not catch up with and formed an ordered sequence she could not control.

I said you were one of my favorite people.

You too. I place all my trust on you.

But I do think you are a good match.

- and I'm happy to say you are that person when I officially know you now, as your friend.

Then I shall treasure it.

Wonyoung, it's so lonely here. - Yujin, I'll be there in a few months. It's gonna be all right. I promise.

 

 

She took a step back.

"Yujin?" Yuri sounded far away, as if from another planet.

"I just remember I have a gift that might explode should I put too much weight on it. I think I chucked all your gifts on that one. I gotta go back to see if it's still intact." She said, so naturally that Yuri found nothing to doubt. There's no such gift, just Yujin falling, falling and breaking all over again, only this time it was much worse.

"What about Minjoo?"

Ryujin could do it, but she couldn't. Because Ryujin was not her, and she's not Ryujin. Ryujin didn't have a loneliness, emptiness that stayed through time and coloured her world nothing but a gray shade. She didn't understand that people in Yujin's life, her friends, was everything she had, because she didn't know what she would become of without them, how duller this world might be when it's just her and no one else. Perhaps Ryujin did, but why would it matter now? It's not going to change the decision Yujin had just made. Nothing could. She couldn't lose Minjoo, she couldn't risk it. It would kill her.

"Please tell her I'm sorry." She said. Stupid life. Stupid world. Stupid game this universe was making her play. "Can you take her back with you? You remember the road right?"

"Of course."

"Cool. I'll see you both at my house."

She turned around, wasting no time to walk away. Minjoo may come back at any moment, and she would ask Yujin to finish what she's saying, and while Yujin didn't want to see Minjoo, she wanted that even less.

 

 

***

 

 

She had given Minjoo an apologetic smile when the girl found her among their friends, shoving sweets absently into . She sat there, Minjoo was an arm away, yet she felt like no matter how much she tried she would never be able to reach the girl.

When it's time for Minjoo to leave, she stood up, seeing her out, skillfully dodging Minjoo's question about her unfinished saying, grinning at the last congratulations and opening her arms wide when Minjoo subtly requested for a hug.

Things seemed to be fine, then Minjoo Apparated and her smile fell immediately, as though it was never there at first.

As though it was someone else who smiled.

 

 

***

 

 

Sixth year was different from the other years, that's the good news. The bad news was everything was bad news, excluding the good news. Did she make sense? No? Did she care? Certainly not.

She caught Wonyoung staring at her several times, and each time she would stretch her lips into a smile, something in it made Wonyoung smile back, troubled still, yet said nothing.

 

 

***

 

 

True to their words, Yujin went back to her dormitory and found a box of food and a rolled parchment of essay which she later recognized it was Chaeyeon's later. Luckily Yena had some mercy, she truly didn't know how she should react if she opened the door to her room and saw Yuri sitting on her bed, waiting to torture Yujin.

She was half way through Chaeyeon's letter when another owl soared in through the window, dropping a letter on her bed sheet and flew away instantly. It must be really busy, or it hated her so much that spent one more minute here would make it sick. Yujin picked up the letter, wondering what she had done to offend an owl that much.

From Minjoo.

Oh. Yujin blinked, exact same time something stabbed her heart. It hurt, and it's funny in some way, because Minjoo had no idea about her effortless influence on Yujin, yet she succeeded every single time, smashing Yujin to smithereens.

That owl was simply busy then.

Minjoo's letter was put aside as she went back to what she wished her next Potions assignment would be, looking for where she had left with an incredible patience.

- and we did cast Patronus last night! Wasn't anything that's too dangerous, just to deliver message, and it reminded me so much of you guys! It's been four months and I already wish I could come back and conjure Patronus together with you. While waiting for us, whenever you miss us, conjure yours. It will represent us and bring you comfort.

She glanced down to the other letter, picturing what would happen if she conjured her black bear. It would dart out from the end of her wand as usual, only this time having no one to wander around and set a impenetrable wall. Giving her enough time and she would sit there, at the old place that was once packed with her friends and laughter, seeing Minjoo on the opposite side, light shone on her face, illuminated her smile. So beautiful, so unreal, so heartbreaking. She would sit there, staring at a memory if nothing else, almost transfixed, no escape.

The door opened, pulling her back to reality. She shook her head when Jiheon asked if she preferred a secret trip to Hogsmeade, quietly watched the girl grab her bag and disappear, returning the silence to Yujin.

Attention upon the letter again, Yujin ignored the idea and carried on, reading the adventure of Chaeyeon in Italy. She still had another one to answer, and that was much harder than this one despite its shorter length. She could drain the last of positivity in her to write back to Chaeyeon, but she didn't know how to do so to Minjoo. The person who be friended Chaeyeon was still here, but the one existing in the friendship with Minjoo was forever gone. Without that girl, everything related to Minjoo was suddenly difficult and painful, because she didn't know how to do anything without revealing herself.

Without revealing either her love or their growing distance.

 

 

***

 

 

Dear Yujin.

Stop overworking yourself, won't you? Yuri told me you were always in the air, hunting the Golden Snitch or in the library, burying yourself in countless books, or simply vanished into thin air whenever she dropped by, though as far as I know she's made only two trips back, so I don't really understand where the third accusation's from.

However, I did check on Wonyoung, and you know I know Wonyoung too well to detect the moment she's trying to cover you. Is everything all right Yujin? Is the workload that much? I remember not, but you guys usually say I endure much better than you so feel free to ask me anything.

I heard Wonyoung made some new friends, have you met them yet? And have you made any new friends? I'm sure everyone loves you, and will love you, Yujin, because you are very lovely and deserve all the love in this world, so let new friends come into your life. Maybe not the way Hyewon came into yours. I could never forget Yena barging into my dormitory yelling "HYEWON'S JUST KILLED SOMEONE!". Nevertheless, she's a pleasant presence, I would say.

This letter will be much shorter than usual, because I'm busy these days. There's a wizard using magic against a Muggle, thank god she was fine, just losing some inexpensive belongings, and we're searching for him. Don't worry, I will take great care of myself. My job is safer than Yena, that I can say. She has to face the most dangerous criminals and I always pray for her before I sleep. I pray for all of you guys. I only wish you would be safe and happy. Isn't that everything we need?

Write to me when you have time, don't hesitate. You only write back this year, I've noticed. Before you usually sent me notes on your initiative, not so frequently as Wonyoung, but definitely not this total absence.

Please tell me if anything happens. I love you a lot. We will try to come back as soon as we can. You are already half way through your six year, it's really fast, isn't it? Soon you will graduate, Yujin, and I'm getting emotional just thinking about it.

I have to go now. Drink lots of water, get enough sleep, don't skip meals and I repeat, stop overworking yourself. You are doing great, whether as a captain or a student.

Sincerely,

Chaeyeon.

 

 

***

 

 

Dear Yujin,

I haven't heard much from you, is everything okay? Are you busy with your studies? I met Ryujin the other day, she told me you led the team very well and she's proud of you. I'm proud of you too. Don't push yourself too hard, all right? You always do your best, one of those things in you I admire, but sometimes you try really hard and hurt yourself in return. I don't want you to be hurt. Please don't get hurt. It hurts me too.

I'll visit you at the end of May. It's just a quick visit, I suppose, I don't have much time, but I want to see you. Can you rearrange your schedule and meet me for some minutes?

Your friend.

Minjoo.

 

 

***

 

 

Today was bad.

Today was very bad.

First, it's been roughly two hundred points her team had scored and the Snitch was still out of her sight, nowhere to be found. Everything was easier to spot than this damn dumb ball, and her eyes were getting sore, a signal alerting her greatly about her weakening ability as a Seeker.

Second? She didn't even want to think about what the second was. Yujin's instinct rang, and she squinted her eyes, glanced to the other Seeker, then jerked her broom and dived straight down.

"YUJIN IS HEADING DOWN TO THE GROUND. I haven't caught any glimpse of the Snitch yet so it's either Yujin has a plan and she's doing it, or this is a ticket to Hospital Wing. Let's hope for the best!"

It's actually a plan, because just when everyone was yelling at her to veer before she hit the ground, she curved to her right, hand reaching out to the whirring Snitch. Just a bit more. Just a bit more-

"AND SHE GOT IT! Gryffindor two hundred and fifty, Ravenclaw two hundred and ten. THE WINNER IS GRYFFINDOR! SHOUT OUT TO YUJIN AND THE EXTREME EFFORT SHE HAS SPENT IN THIS GAME!"

The pitch echoed Chester's voice, drowning out the warnings of some players, and the next thing she knew she was lying on the grass, fallen down from her broom thanks to a Bludger. In other circumstances she would have been thankful she's hovering low and not high enough to kill her. But she's in this one, and all she could think of before fainting was something about Minjoo, about her coming here right after the match and she would be worry, she would be hurt because Yujin was hurt, and while Yujin might be a jerk for ignoring Minjoo and all, she never wanted Minjoo to feel any pain in this life, let alone because of her-

"SOMEONE PLEASE CARRY YUJIN TO THE HOSPITAL WING! I can't believe her plan worked and she STILL got the ticket to Hospital Wing."

"CHESTER!"

"Sorry, Professor Bae."

 

 

***

 

 

Turned out, being hit by a Bludger and got a broken shoulder was pretty good. It gave her a resolution to the problem she's been thinking about, despite its fairly high cost.

Her teammates were surrounding her bed when she woke up. She knew that because she heard their low voices, worried and furious, whispering something sounded like the Bludger was jinxed and what kind of a petty person could do that. Madam Kim came over to check on her, gently hushed them, answered the repeated question why she hadn't woken up yet and left for another patient.

Yujin listened to the youngest girl in their team sobbing as she kept apologizing for being distracted. She wasn't far away from Yujin, had she noticed she could have prevented the Bludger, she was a Beater after all. Anthony, their new Keeper, comforted her, and Yujin's glad he did because she wasn't blaming the girl at all. In fact, Elsie just saved her. She honestly didn't know what mess she would create when she's around Minjoo, just two of them alone.

There's a faint sound of someone opening the door, then every noises died down immediately.

She heard Jisung's voice, deep and guilty. "Minjoo."

"It's not your fault Jisung." Minjoo said softly, the vaguely ragged breath proved Minjoo had rushed here as fast as she could. "Is everyone else alright?"

"Yeah we are." He paused as Minjoo sat down on a chair. "She's got a fractured shoulder, but Madam Kim got it fixed. She's just sleeping, I think. That's what Madam Kim said."

"Thank you." Minjoo said, taking Yujin's hand into her own. Yujin shuddered inwardly when a pair of soft lips touched her skin. "Thank you for taking care of her."

"I promised you, didn't I?" Jisung said quietly. "I want to protect her as much as you do. She's my friend too."

 

 

***

 

 

Minjoo left shortly after thanking Jisung one more time and giving her teammates some kind compliments. Then Elsie was called by a Professor, an essay was in need of a discussion; Anthony had a meeting with his friend, a preparation for a subject; slowly one by one departed, until only Jisung's breath was heard. He, too, had to go eventually. Wonyoung had entered the Hospital Wing, letting him know she and Professor Hwang had found out who jinxed the Bludger and since Yujin was resting, they would need him instead.

Wonyoung had intended to sit with her until she woke up or in Yujin's view, tired of faking sleep. Madam Kim intervened in time to convince the girl she needed to eat, it's dinner time, she could come back later. Yujin was fine, her shoulder was good as new, they just needed to give her some time.

Wonyoung was a subtly stubborn kid, and Madam Kim had way too many experiences dealing with these adamant cases. Yujin let out the breath she had been holding as the curtain was closed, and Madam Kim's steps faded away into utmost silence. Wonyoung was gone, everyone was not here anymore, but the touch of Minjoo stayed, lingering like a ghost.

The feeling of her lips.

She turned to her side, eyes remained shut, body stiff and repressed tears spilled out like warm river. She wasn't even sure why she wanted to cry, but it hurt nonetheless. It hurt like hell and besides crying, what else could she do?

Nothing.

This was for the best.

 

 

***

 

 

Dear Yujin

Don't apologize. We can always meet again. Take good care of your shoulder and yourself, all right? And congratulations on winning the Quidditch cup. You and your team deserve it, you guys have worked hard.

I'm sorry I missed your match. I know I didn't promise you I'd come in time to watch it, but still. I should have come sooner. I'm sorry.

Please eat more food and rest a lot. You are really thin.

Your friend.

Minjoo.

 

 

***

 

 

Can y'all use a phone or something? One more owl flying into the practice room and I can kiss my debut good bye. Stop bombarding me! Or at least direct the destination to my house. Merlin I can't just smile awkwardly every time it happens. What am I supposed to say? I have a weird aunt who loves old royal movies?

And yes, yes ma'am I'm going to visit Hogwarts again this year, probably in Christmas. I don't know but I don't think that's the main cause, our graduation. Workload or pressure or whatever, I don't know. I realized she's never told us much. Loud yet so quiet. At least Wonyoung is there. She will know what to do.

If you go abroad buy me something nice. Or delicious. The only advantage of having friends working in Ministry. And perhaps you should also consider changing the labour law. They are  your soul, in case you don't notice.

Once again, no-more-owl to practice room. Considering this as final warning.

 

 

***

 

 

"You missed a good time."

"And you are going to miss the due of Transfiguration assignment." Yujin smiled, eyes fixed on her book.

"I can work that out in an evening." Jiheon dumped her own body on the bed. "Are you aiming at top five highest grades? Girl you will have it, I ensure you."

"Oh I'm not." Yujin's grin was evident in her voice. "Just trying to be a responsible student."

"Oh please. Give me back the loud, loud Gryffindor who never let me sleep peacefully before."

"I did let you sleep. You refused to. I took a step out and you jumped up, asking me where I were going, whether you could tag along or not." Yujin snorted. "Don't blame me for your decision."

"Fine fine. But seriously, go out with us sometimes. You have been scarce recently, actually since the beginning of this year, did something happen? I know you love staying here but at this rate I'd forget your face if I changed the dormitory."

"Too bad you don't have that chance." Yujin said nonchalantly. She moved her head to the sides, giving her neck a quick stretch before pulling out another book. "Thing's fine. I'm fine."

"Don't lie. I've been your roommate for five years. Spill the bean. What's wrong?"

Yujin sighed quietly, fingers rubbing the spots above her eyebrows. She adjusted her position to face Jiheon. "Just... work. You know? Time is ticking, future is arriving, and my plate is always full. I'm just trying to cope with it the only way I know."

Jiheon squinted her eyes, obviously assessed the explanation. A full minute and her chest heaved out. "You know you can tell me everything right? I'm actually a brilliant student, mind you. Hey don't laugh-" Jiheon threw a pillow at her. Yujin easily caught it, still laughing. "Mean."

"Sorry sorry." Yujin gently tossed back the pillow. "Thanks. I'll remember to find you next time I'm stuck with Potions."

"Except for Potions."

"Then we are just equal."

"You-" Jiheon pushed herself up, ready to launch at Yujin. She then thought better of it and lay back down. "Forget it, I will let you off hook this time."

Yujin gave her a weak smile, knowing why Jiheon didn't want to mess with her. It's because the girl hadn't seen Yujin laughing for awhile now. Yujin turned around, closed her books and faced Jiheon again. "What did I miss?"

Jiheon looked to her, surprise. "What did you miss?"

"The hanging out. News. Whatever." Yujin shrugged. "Keep me update."

Jiheon sat up instantly, her eyes bright and her beam broad. "I thought you'd never ask! OK, remember Sung Ah? She hasn't broken any heart for three months and if she keeps this progression, this Christmas we don't have to celebrate in tears anymore. I do hope she keeps it. Christmas is only two weeks away!" She huffed out annoyingly. "Why do people keep choosing the one who treats them as if they are nothing?"

Yujin shook her head. Question for ages. "Anything else?"

"Do you know the room near the South corridor? Try to avoid that room when it's dark."

"Why? It's just a normal classroom, isn't it?"

"Supposed to? Yes. But Daisy walked by it last night, and she heard weird noise and felt really cold, although when she checked inside there's nothing. Teddy caught some noises too, he described them as a shattered vase, but we all know that time in Potions class has left a trauma in him so, yeah. He did take a look too, and saw nothing."

Yujin perked up a little. Interesting. "When did it happen to Teddy?"

"Last week."

"So far it's been only two of them experienced this?"

"I think so. Haven't heard anyone else telling the same story."

"Have them reported to the Professors?"

"Since Daisy and Teddy found nothing, they decided not to make it big. Daisy reasoned she's lack of sleep and Teddy admitted his fear, it went back to their minds and all."

Yujin scratched her chin, deep in thought. "I see."

"If there's anything, we'll be informed immediately." Jiheon reassured her. "Daisy doesn't want another rumor, we have had enough, although from what I saw there's no way Jimmy would not tease the first year with this."

That drew out a reluctant chuckle from Yujin. "Someone please keeps him away from the poor kids."

"You don't know what he did last time right? He's lucky the kids loves him or else-"

A couple of hours later, Jiheon was on her bed, sleeping soundlessly while Yujin was staring at the panel, wide awake. Truth be told, the chat didn't help much, but she appreciated it nevertheless. It helped her to pretend things were normal, even though it wasn't at all.

 

 

***

 

 

"Merry Christmas, Yujin! Where are you going at the crack of dawn?"

"Merry Christmas, Jisung." Yujin grinned, bumping her fist against his awaiting one. "I'm just hungry. You are here too? I thought I am the only weird kid who loves Christmas in Hogwarts."

That's not entirely the truth, she's not just hungry and she didn't love Christmas in Hogwarts that much, but Jisung didn't need to know that. In fact, no one needed to know.

"Well I gotta enjoy what's left." Jisung looked around, the light in his smile dimmed a bit before he fixed his gaze at her. "Keen to join us before lunch? A friendly snowball sounds good don't you think?"

"Only when you are in the team. Not gonna be the best Chaser's rival."

Jisung chuckled. "We will see. Meet you later?"

"Sure."

"Oh, Wonyoung and your roommates are invited too."

"I have the room to myself, and Wonyoung's with her friends but I'll deliver the invitation as soon as I can." She waved her hand. "Gotta go now. Bye."

 

 

***

 

 

Being frustrated so early in a Christmas morning was so... frustrated. Yujin sighed, twirling the quill madly while staring out at the window. Out of all days, why her feeling must choose today to start a revolution and seemingly wouldn't give up until she actually succumb to it? She couldn't just write down and send away "Hey Minjoo Merry Christmas I am in love with you.". That sounded dumb no matter which way her diplomatic self could interpret.

However, it was tempting. Yujin didn't notice her breath was coming out in heavy burst. It's tempting to be irresponsible, to be impulsive, to free herself out of this and live. She couldn't careless if she had to go back to where she was before, anything would be better than this smoldering pain. Anything would be better than being in love with a person she could never have, could never let her know.

She dipped the tip of the quill into the ink, hand shaking slightly.

Write it.

No.

Write it.

No I can't.

WRITE IT.

"I CAN'T."

She slammed her fist against the table, crushing the quill and spilling out the cup of chocolate that had grown cold. Watching the dark brown liquid permeating through the parchment, Yujin slowly released the quill, not bothering to wipe the chocolate away.

She's tired.

She's tired and she just wanted to cry.

Hot tears dropped on her cloak, Yujin remained motionless, staring at nothing. She wished she didn't file every information, every scene related to Minjoo away so fast, then maybe she would still have a chance. Maybe she wouldn't think this much and in the favour of endearing naivety, she could confess to Minjoo the way she would do if it's someone else. Blissfully ignorant, wasn't that what people kept talking about?

Later a realization would occur to her that despite all the wishes she had made in her head but forgot to ask from Santa, she had never made one in hope of deleting the story from the beginning to build another one, the one in which she'd never know what it's like to give her heart to Minjoo.

Because falling for Minjoo was the best thing that ever happened to her.

It'd always be.

Merry Christmas, Yujin.

 

 

***

 

 

The feast looked good, was supposed to taste delicious, yet every bite touched her tongue turned bland like soil. Yujin put down her fork, thinking of the most convincing excuse to get out of here. Wonyoung was still chewing roasted turkey in her usual elegance way and her new friends, Rei and Jiwon, were chatting joyfully about their vacation in Japan. It made her feel guilty to leave Wonyoung here, even with her peers. After all she's the reason the Slytherin refused to celebrate Christmas at her own house, warm and cozy, laughing at her dad's old jokes and complimenting her mom's dishes. She tried to persuade Wonyoung to go back, an attempt was clearly proven useless, and she felt like she owed the girl an explanation, which she obviously failed to provide. Yujin picked up the fork again, eyeing the foods with no appetite. The least she could do was to stay here and endure this.

"Are you full?" Wonyoung suddenly asked. She had noticed the change in Yujin's behavior.

"Yeah." Yujin hesitantly nodded. "But I want to be here with you a little longer."

"I'm fine Yujin." Wonyoung turned to her, those big eyes fixed at Yujin, seeing through everything. "Why don't you go out and take a walk? After this Rei and Jiwon will visit my dormitory, and you can drop by if you want to."

"Wonyoung-"

"Seriously." Wonyoung chuckled, nudging her. "Go. I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me so much."

"It's my duty to worry about you." She said, the memory of what Chaeyeon said flashed in her mind. How ironic.

"Then you are free of charge tonight. It's Christmas. Santa will take care of me. Surely I'm in his list."

"Oh I wouldn't say so." Yujin grinned, accepting Wonyoung's light slap as an apology in advance. "You sure you will be fine?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Call me immediately if there's anything."

"There won't be anything." Wonyoung put a hand on Yujin's own. Her warmth was comfortable and sent a sense of safety to Yujin. "It's Christmas. There won't be anything. Just Gobstones and stolen Eggnogs."

"Yena will be proud of you." Yujin teased, pulling the girl into a quick hug. "I will come, might not be soon, but I will."

"No problem."

"Please take care of her." She told Rei and Jiwon, who shyly nodded their heads in return. "Have a good time. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas."

 

 

***

 

 

Stepping out of the Great Hall was like walking through a door and the noises behind you was immediately blocked. Yujin shuddered as the cold winds lurking around the dark, empty corners swept past her and dissipated under the faint light, leaving her shoulders tensed up in chill. She let her feet move aimlessly, deliberately taking her time to choose where to go. The lake? The Quidditch pitch? Forbidden For- Okay she needed to stop doing that. First, it's Christmas. She's not that desperate to spend the most joyful holiday there, like the whole world was rejoicing and she chose to be a little pathetic human being. Second, entering as a group was called an adventure, entering all by herself was called an idiot. Everyone's luck had a limit and while she didn't know whether she had spent it all or not, she would rather invest it in a more... useful situation.

She encountered Teddy and Daisy near the library, heads together and repressed whisper died down instantly at her sight. She waved at them, they waved back, both parties silently reached an agreement to mind their own business. Yujin turned into another corridor and grimaced at the unusual low temperature, yet she kept walking. Daisy and Teddy took the opposite direction and it's better not to meet them again. They seemed to be immersed in whatever they were hiding from the world, so did Yujin.

She didn't know how long she had been wandering here, stuck halfway in a progression of making a choice which wasn's supposed to be that hard when she heard it.

A vague scream.

Yujin pulled out her wand, her heart pounding loudly in the dead silence of the night. There was no one here, just her and that scream again, and again, and again, like someone calling for help. She didn't know what to expect, but whatever jumped out right now would recieve a Banishing Charm and there's no negotiation.

Carefully picked up her speed, Yujin approached the source of the sound, soon figuring out it's coming from the boys' bathroom. The firm door was shaken slightly, someone was thumping viciously on it from inside.

"Anthony?" Yujin called. "Is that you?"

"Yujin!" Anthony cried, she could hear relief crashing into his voice. "Please help me! Peeves locked me here and did something to the door. It can be opened only from the outside."

"Okay wait." Yujin raised her wand. "Alohomora!"

The lock clanked and the door opened, revealing a soaking Anthony as though Peeves had interrupted his shower time with clothes on. Anthony looked at her, then he collapsed, all his strength was gone while seeking for help. Yujin caught him in time and leaned him against the door frame. She could cast the healing spell Minjoo usually used on her, but she's not sure Anthony was in the suitable state for it. Dang it, why wasn't she an incredible healer?

"Come on Anthony." She said, attempting to haul him. "If I'm correct, Madam Kim is in Great Hall. Not too far, we can manage it."

"No... No..." To her surprise, Anthony held her hand, shaking his head. His voice was barely audible. "What time is it?"

"Now? I don't know. I have left the feast for awhile."

"Then you must go." He gave her a squeeze with little force. "Elsie- Elsie is waiting for you. She wanted to talk to you and asked me to deliver the message. She couldn't forgive herself for letting you get hurt." He paused when breathing became too difficult. "Don't let her wait. I'm fine here, just exhausted... You have to go now. She's in the room... the room I don't recall... The corner..."

Yujin stared at him, mind running, thoughts overlapping. Daisy and Teddy. They were whispering something. Teddy hissed -real! and Daisy shut him It's not!

The air turned frigid. Yujin grabbed Anthony's shoulders and made him look back at her. If he's in better shape he would be bewildered by her solemn expression. "Anthony, can you remember which corner?"

Anthony blinked slowly. Another second of this sluggish trailing off and Yujin would be the one who yelled. "I think... I think it's the South one."

Replied him was a silence which felt like a decade, then Yujin told him. "Don't go anywhere."

And she ran.

Yujin sprinted through hallways, fear banging in her chest, racing with time. The way to the South corner seemed to be endless although Yujin was never this fast in her life. She took a right turn and finally spotted the classroom Jiheon had warned her about. The door was opened, the stillness in the air scared her. With no second thought, she dashed towards it, hand gripped tightly the wand.

She hoped she wasn't too late.

It's hard to say whether she was late or not, because when she got there the first thing she saw was a Dementor gliding a few meters away from a terrified Elsie on the floor, safe enough not to the poor girl's soul out, but kept standing here and Yujin might not be able to say the same the next moment.

Old memories flashed in front of her eyes as quick as a blink of an eye. She couldn't afford time to think why there's a Dementor here, in Hogwarts, how it had intruded and if it was the thing that cause Daisy and Teddy's uneasy experiences. She needed to find a happy memory and concentrate on it. Totally, fully concentrate on it.

But it was so hard. Yujin tightened her jaw. It was easy before because things were easy, and every time she casted the spell she always thought of Minjoo. How could she do it now when all it left was pain? How could she do it now when time was ticking, dread was eating her, and her instinct stopped each memory she chose to bring to light due to the usual pain she recieved?

"You have to relive it." Chaeyeon's voice rang in her ears. "Be that person. Be in that moment. Relive it."

.

.

It was a sunny day.

Blue sky. White clouds. Dreamy morning.

Time stopped.

She was turning to her left, staring at the prettiest girl she had ever met in her life. She could see her. She could almost touch her if she wanted to. A soft quietness, waiting. She heard herself saying,

"Hello. My name's Yujin. Ahn Yujin. What's yours?"

The girl looked back at Yujin. Slowly, her lips stretched just a little bit, perfect for a shy flower blooming, and she answered in a voice that no noise could ever drown out even in the dark night.

"My name is Kim Minjoo."

Kim Minjoo.

Wasn't this the happiest day in her life?

.

.

"Expecto Patronum!"

Out of the end of her wand burst a blinding silver animal, it charged at the Dementor immediately and soared out of a window after the Dementor had vanished into a black mist and hid away in somewhere she couldn't see from here. The air was warm again and Elsie let out a gasp, making Yujin instinctively kneel down, gathering the younger girl in her chest and rocking her gently.

"I'm sorry." Elsie sobbed, shoving her face against Yujin's cloak. "Why can't I be better and protect you? Why can't I do something good? Why is it always you?"

"It's okay Elsie. It's okay." She blindly replied. "It's okay now."

It's not. Yujin stared stupidly at the place that was now back to a dim colour as the light from her new Patronus had disappeared, bringing along something inside Yujin. New. Yes. New. There's no way she saw it wrong, no chance she's mistaken. That's not what came out of her wand almost a year ago, not her dear black bear and its usual calm, protective manner.

And her heart broke as she recalled why one's Patronus would change. Was that really her heart? That didn't feel like one. That was so deep, and quiet. She thought she felt nothing. Too numb to feel anything. But it's there. The pain. It's there. It's just a different pain, a different hopelessness, a different irony.

She kept seeing it. The fox. She knew it's not real, it had flew out and would not come back until she allowed it, but she kept seeing it. Like it'd never go away.

Like it was haunting her.

 

 

***

 

 

Yujin is in Hospital Wing. She helped a student who encountered a Dementor Boggart, but she conjured her Patronus in time and things are fine now. You need not to be worried. Take care of yourself. Don't panic. Don't freak out. I'll be here three days to make sure she's okay. Will keep you updated.

 

 

***

 

 

"This is useless. She's not gonna listen to me anyway."

"She won't. But Yujin will calm her down."

"Yujin isn't even in her best state."

"I know." Wonyoung sighed, turning away from Yuri. "But I know her. She hates it when we keep knocking on the door she wants us to leave it be."

Yuri was quiet for a moment. "Did you see that too? That lifeless look on her face? What is happening, Wonyoung?"

Wonyoung adjusted her body, arms reaching out to hug Yuri. "I don't know. I don't reckon Yujin knows either. For most of time we have no idea about what is going on in our lives, in our minds and in our hearts. We believe we do, yet all we have is the spurious surface of it, built on our own naive beliefs. I think we'll have to wait and see where this journey will lead her. The most important keys always lie within the journey."

 

 

***

 

 

Dear Minjoo.

I'm fine. That's just a shock, not everyday I've had the chance to greet a Dementor. Please do me a favor and enjoy your time in Canada, okay? Wish you best luck there.

Yujin.

 

 

***

 

 

The Sorting Hat ended the song with something about houses and animals. Yujin didn't quite recall that, not when her slightest focus wasn't on it. The first student stood up, following Professor Bae's call, nervous and excited as the Sorting Hat was placed on her head.

Yujin had her chin on her palm, face unreadable. She didn't sleep last night. She didn't sleep any night. She lay awake and stared at the ceiling, waiting until either the sun raised up or she fell asleep half way, around three in the morning. Whichever won the race, she didn't care. It's the same.

Everyone in her table clapped loudly when the Sorting Hat yelled Gryffindor. Jimmy stood up, shouting well done! and Anthony welcomed their new housemate with a gentle smile. Their eyes met, and he flashed Yujin a bright beam. He looked much better, ready to be the captain after Yujin left this place. Yujin dropped her elbows back to the table, head leaning against a fist. Jiheon whispered her a joke, which made her breathe out a faint chuckle and told the girl if Professor Bae knew about what she just said, soon she would see it's a gift to spend a day locked in the same room with Peeves than two minutes under the glare of Professor Bae. Jiheon huffed and crossed her arms, saying nothing. Laughter bubbled in Yujin's throat, it only stopped when Jiheon gave her a light punch on the arm.

So yeah, in a way, Yujin had bounced back into life. She smiled when people approached her for a friendly chat, beamed when successfully persuaded Madam Lee to let her borrow a book, grinned while witnessing her teammates arguing childishly about the practice match.

She's back, yet at the same time, not.

Because the world was still tinged grey, and she didn't try to change it this time.

 

 

***

 

 

"Game's over. Accept defeat and we can wrap this up."

"Oh." Hyewon sneers. "Shameless, aren't you? Just like your girlfriend. Congratulations on your heaven match."

"Leave Yuri out of this." Yena puts her hands on her hip. Chaeyeon stands between them, sighing out here we go again. "How am I shameless when I just state a fact?"

"Fact? What fact? Auror is the best job?"

"Yes! Best job in this world!"

Hyewon points to Chaeyeon. "We can gang up on you and make sure you'll say good bye to your best job once and for all."

"Chaeyeon is not a Curse Breaker!"

"So? You don't say Hit Witch is included. Only Auror."

"Look." Yena says desperately. "Let's play this fair. This is the fight between you and me. Don't pull her in."

Hyewon takes her time to stretch the arms and legs. "You should have thought about that before you claimed the title."

"Why are you warming up?" Yena asks, panicked. "Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon. You are not on her side right?"

Chaeyeon glances to Yena, not bothering to give her an answer despite being shaken vigorously by the said girl. Perhaps she should stop doing that first before considering to ask for Chaeyeon's help.

"Thought so." Hyewon says. "Now, Yena." She turns to face Yena, who immediately takes a step back in fear.

"This is not fair." Yena repeats, hands holding out, trying to prevent the upcoming war in vain. "Let's be intellectual people and solve this problem verbally."

"Oh I'm sorry." Hyewon mocks. "I didn't land the best job in this world, so I'm afraid I don't know how to do that."

"I can help you." Yena offers with such kindness, which makes Hyewon snigger in return. "Merlin- One is a Curse Breaker and one is a Hit Witch, two to one, don't you hear your inner voices? The voice that's telling you to be a good person, to make the right choice?"

Hyewon pauses for a full minute, brows furrow, eyes up on the sky, as if paying attention to something. Then, abruptly, she shakes her head. "Nope."

"Oh Merlin." Yena groans. "That's it. You're done. How can you function without it?"

"Wait wait." Hyewon raises a hand all of sudden. Yena's face lights up with hope and Chaeyeon is this close to Apparate to Spain, or Sweden, Fiji is likely as well. Basically anywhere but here.

"I heard it." Hyewon mutters, eyes glowing. "I heard it, Yena."

Yena stares at her. "What does it say?"

"It says..." Hyewon trails off, gaze fixes at the white clouds above their heads like that's where the voice comes from. Sunlight rests on her white skin, reminding them how beautiful she is, then it swichts to something entirely different as Hyewon's smile falls. She glares at Yena. "It says I should finish you off quickly because I am hungry."

"What?" Yena stumbles back. "No. No. At least let me get a partner!" She reaches out to her last chance of surviving. "Wonyoung! Yujin!"

The Gryffidor startles, waking up from her own mind. She looks around, realizing everyone's focus is on her. The laugh comes out awkwardly, much to her endeavour. "What's wrong?"

"Are you okay?" Chaeyeon frowns. "You've been flighty today. It's like you are not here. Is there something wrong?"

"No." Yujin shakes her head, recalling few words have slipped off into her brain. "I was just thinking about my career since you guys mention it."

"Are you worried?"

"Not really. Just... thinking." Yujin shrugs, wearing on a smile. "But as far as I know I won't pick up a fight with a Curse Breaker and a Hit Witch."

"Thanks for the advice." Yena says.

"You are welcome."

She leads them back to the argument, and while giving them enough remarks to keep them at bay, she knows Wonyoung is watching her, quietly and closely. Then the Slytheryn will turn away, and whatever it is will be remained in the dark like all the other times.

 

 

***

 

 

"Hey Yujin."

Yujin straightens her back, coming to face her old captain, Shin Ryujin. It's been a long time since their last match together, it feels weird to have Ryujin back as one of their Chasers, even just for today. It feels... surreal. Like a distant memory. Blurry. Fuzzy. To see her flying in the air again, to hear her voice and the instructions she gave everyone, always on time and sharp.

At the beginning of the match, Yujin couldn't focus on finding the Snitch. The sun today is bright, warm and inviting. She found herself reminded of a morning that is far away, out of her reach. A morning when everything was still fine. When Ryujin was still here and Yujin referred Quidditch as her love, not a distraction.

As if she's stuck there, in a place she no longer belongs to.

"Yeah cap?" She gives a small genuine smile. "You are still good as ever."

"Just as ever? I was hoping for more." She grins. Then Ryujin averts her gaze, trying to dig a hole with the toe of her shoes. Her smile falters. "I just want to check on you. Is everything ok?"

Yujin can feel its grab immediately. The anger. She knows her smile does fall, too. Her jaw tightens as she applies more force into her fingers. The broom can break any moment now with how hard she's holding it.

"Yeah. Why did you ask so?" The effort to stretch her face into an honest smiling one is horrible, but still better than throwing a strop. "Was I that bad?"

"No. You were great. You were, are, and will always be the greatest Seeker I have ever encountered." Ryujin says firmly. Then, in a gentler tone. "It's just... You seem different."

"Oh? How different?"

Ryujin is still avoiding her gaze. Good. Yujin is looking at her as if she dares Ryujin to press the topic further.

"You seem more... quiet. So quiet. And so sad." Ryujin presses her lips. "I don't know how to say it. It seems like you are... suffering."

"Suffering." Yujin repeats.

"Yes. I don't know if you know this or not, but two years ago you were different. You were livelier. Your smile was brighter, and your energy was bursting, not always, but certainly more than now."

Yujin breathes out a faint laugh. Of course. Two years ago she hadn't graduated, Yujin hadn't liked her, and her pillow was completely dry, except for those times she woke up with a trail of drool.

Ryujin asks hesitantly. "Did something happen? Is it related to that time you consulted me?"

That? That is a nightmare she never wants to think about again. She shakes her head, stopping it from coming back. Just a light tap and the pain is already rolling over.

"I'm happy to play with you again, Ryujin." She says. Suddenly she's so tired. The match couldn't eat away all her strength this much. "Come back whenever you are free, alright? I only have one year left. After the graduation, it might be even harder for us to play together."

Ryujin stares at her for a quiet moment. "Okay."

She gives Ryujin one last smile and turns away.

 

 

***

 

 

Minjoo loves stars.

She used to take the girl to the Astronomy Tower to watch the cloudless night sky and counted all the stars they could. She remembers standing next to her, Minjoo's head on her shoulder, usually she would crack a joke and felt happy when Minjoo laughed. So happy. So peaceful. Even when feelings were so simple back then.

Is there anyway to go back? Because it's really lonely here.

Lonely.

In Astronomy Tower.

She must be some kind of a undiscovered masochist because if not then why the heck she keeps doing this? Tearing the wound apart again and again, deepening it as though it's just a scratch that isn't hurt enough. Well, it actually hurts. Yujin chuckles lightly. It hurts so much that sometimes all she can do is to quiet her existence and waiting for it to be over. But it won't be over. Surely she might get a few hours she feels nothing, either by tons of essays or simply numbness, doesn't make a difference, she will take what she can. However, she will not aware of the luxury she's having until it slips away, and when the day ends, it's gonna be there, deliberately watching her heart instinctively coming back. All that matters is time, and needless to say, it is not on her side. What can be better for a smoldering fire, burning her slowly but painfully as time?

She has learned enough to understand there's no escape. She runs and runs, seeking for a sustained distraction, only to hopelessly return to where she starts, always destined to lose in this cruel maze game. An endless loop. And the fact that she has shoved this deep inside her chest, swallowing any faintest idea about telling anyone is just an ideal fuel for the fire. It will never fades away. Never lets her go.

Maybe she should leave this place and get some butterbears. She knows she will change her mind on the way back, but at least the idea comforts her. Yujin rubs a finger on the cold stones, lingering there for a non-existent sorrowful romance. Whatever she wishes to happen here will not come true, she needs to stop doing this to herself. There's a road, a very long road down there, and an assignment which due is another week now that she recalls. She has plenty of time for that, she has reached to the level of getting an A with her eyes shut, not to mention studying at night is so bored, but she can't think of anything better to do.

So that's it, she guesses. Yujin allows herself one last glance, ready to go. The Astronomy Tower usually is empty before she comes and still remains that way after she leaves, so she doesn't expect to see someone leaning against a wall, seemingly was there all the time and just waiting for her to turn around.

"Leaving?"

Yujin blinks. What is she doing here? "Yes."

"I see." Sung Ah smiles. She pushes herself away from the wall, her arms uncrosses as she tilts her head. That lift at the end of her lips never seems to go away. "I don't mean to follow you. I just have an offer that I reckon you might be interested in."

Offer? They don't have any connection, perhaps except that time she was paired with Sung Ah in Herbology class in her sixth year, and if this is what the offer about then Sung Ah must be the weirdest person in this world. Other than that, she cannot give this meeting any reason why it is happening. They aren't friends, aren't enemies, basically no thing between that's worth a trade. "What offer?"

Sung Ah takes a small step forwards, haven't invaded her safe zone. Her green is so different from Wonyoung's despite the same hue. Wonyoung's green is safe and looks like home. Hers is mysterious, unpredictable and has a warning of danger. Yujin hopes she doesn't have to deal with this one the possibly worst way. Jumping down from the window is not the best choice at all.

"Be my diversion."

She draws her eyebrows together, trying to digest what Sung Ah has said. "Your diversion?"

"You know what I mean."

The words are broken off into smaller pieces, falling down like shattering glass. "Sung Ah, I can't-"

"Before you reject, think about it." Sung Ah cuts her off. Her voice is light and patient. "I have kept my eyes on you for a very long time, Yujin. I know what you are hiding from people. I know what you feel right now, and I know you are sick of it."

Her laugh is as dangerous as what they will take if Yujin agrees. "Repeating this over and over like a never-ending nightmare. Studying and staying in that attractive head of yours aren't going to save you forever, Yujin. You think they can take you until you graduate? You think you can continue everyday like this? You can't. Ahn Yujin, you can't. And you realized it already, didn't you? You are smart, you always are."

Sung Ah looks to the sky for a moment, the silver dots reflect on her black obrs, then it changes to Yujin's reflection. "We all want the same thing. Distraction. So why not seek for that together? I use you, you use me, an equal game. We are both guilty, and when we are both guilty, it doesn't matter anymore."

"Sung Ah-"

"You don't want to wake up feeling like that anymore, do you?" Sung Ah continues nonchalantly, a weak protest will not stop her. "Love is nice, but one-sided love is not. You are only holding onto it because it is beautiful, a beauty that will prick you and make your heart bleed. I can fill you with another thing that is not pain. We are going to end this one day, but what counts is the moment. You know this since the very beginning. Only the moment. Future is too far away to care."

She's right. Sung Ah is right. Only the moment matters. And it's tempting, so tempting to Yujin because honestly she's tired of being alone in this void. Accepting this means she has a new way to feed the emptiness that keeps widening inside her, she can finally have a morning when she wakes up and doesn't think about how it is to be here.

"I know you want to say yes. Say it, and we can get out of this present together."

She can find Sung Ah whenever she starts to miss her. She can spend most of her day with the girl and focus on her instead of dwelling on the same old despair. Minjoo is like the future. Far, far away and out of her reach, a light that the more yearning she is for it, the farther it drifts away. Sung Ah, however, is right here. Within her reach. Within her hold. A possibility with the highest percentage of success she's ever had.

She just needs to say yes.

"Why me?" is what she rips from .

"Because I want you." She doesn't know since when Sung Ah is right in front of her, in the intimate zone she's saving for only one person over the past year. "Because you are everything one desires to taste, Yujin. A pretty, unreal existance." Her breath fans over Yujin's lips as she chuckles. "Be proud, Yujin. I have never spent this much effort on anyone. I could easily find another one to replace you, you know that very well, but I didn't. Be proud. That's how much I want to have you for myself."

Her fingers creep up slowly, holding Yujin's cheeks. Sung Ah is the addiction personified, whether it's in her enticing, melody voice, or her large, black eyes that see through every lies, or the way her hair flutters when a breeze blows through the window, or her pink, wet lips which all it takes for Yujin to taste is a slight dip of the head. Sung Ah is breathtakingly beautiful, and she's too good at using this to get what she wants, the same way she's doing with Yujin right now. Yujin's breath comes out in uneven bursts. Sung Ah has broken off most of the walls she built, and she's taking her time to ruin the last. Then, it will be heaven and hell.

Sung Ah's lips graze past hers like a ghost. "Say it, Yujin." She whispers, a hand moving behind, fingers sliding into Yujin's hair. "Say it, and you can kiss me until we forget how to breathe. Say it, and I will fill your days with new colours, no moment will be the same. No more pain and emptiness. Only intoxication and pleasure."

Yujin swallows, loud in the silence. Her eyes have been closed for awhile now, not sure because she's preparing herself or trying to take a step back from this awaiting hell. Even Sung Ah's scent is appealing. Everything is overwhelming, and it will keep drowning her until she succumbs to it. What will happen if she gives in? Three hours of satisfaction which doesn't come from love? It will be good, more than good, but after that? She will come back to the starting point eventually, watching it laughing at her face because that's how thing is. How it is destined to be. And the worst case is she begins to find anyone who meets her standard to pass time with, turning this into another endless loop.

Yujin breathes out. It's easy to pull Sung Ah's waist and press their lips together. Sung Ah is actually great. She's beautiful, smart, charming, basically the standard herself, but Yujin doesn't love her. And because she doesn't love her, this is not going to work out. They will fall, even more broken, and while Sung Ah might be an expert at detaching from her feelings, Yujin is not. She will hurt both of them, and she doesn't want that.

Her voice is shaky when she tells Sung Ah her decision. "Sung Ah."

This is enough for the other girl. Sung Ah steps back, hands leaving Yujin, cool air surges in between them. She slowly opens her eyes, shuddering at how Sung Ah is looking at her. Cold and piercing like a sharp knife. She has declined the offer, there's no reason for Sung Ah to appear different to her anymore. If there's anything, she should go immediately and leave the girl alone.

But Sung Ah just let her see a part of the girl. Yujin feels something on the tip of her tongue, maybe something that is not what people usually dub Sung Ah, maybe a wish, or an unnecessary advice, just anything for Sung Ah to know she really means the best for the girl. Then again, they are not friends. They don't know each other that well for her to say these kinds of thing.

"I'm sorry." She whispers quietly. Sung Ah's right corner of lips raises up, mocking the whole world.

"Go."

She moves aside and walks away in obedience. She doesn't hear anything else, and it's better that way.

 

 

***

 

 

She almost forgets that there's a Jang Wonyoung in her life if the girl didn't peer around and steal her attention away from her assignment. She has devoted herself to studies in a new level, nearly builds a house of books and moves in until this world collapses and feeling is just another word that holds no meaning. Everyone should be worry, or freak out in Chaeyeon's case, about her, but seventh year is too good of an excuse that hardly anyone can crack a breach on it. Not to mention, Yujin is quite good at acting, she won't deny it, she loves compliments after all, so everytime she says she's just tired and the works are responsible for that with a joking grin, a frown and a nod will follow, then some advices about how she should eat more, she's too thin, then Yujin's free. Back to her isolated world. No suspicion.

"Wonyoung?" She asks, stretching her back. Those cracking noise proves she's been glued to this chair for more than two hours. "What are you doing here? I thought you are out with Rei and Jiwon today?"

"That was the plan." Wonyoung pushes the door and walks in. She looks around, as if expecting something strange, and Yujin realizes it's been ages since the last time the girl was here. She was busy hiding and Wonyoung was too understanding to invade.

Yujin puts the quill down. She can use a chat, she misses Wonyoung anyway. "What happened?"

"Hyunseo's emergency. I could tag along, but Rei and Jiwon are enough to help her. Besides, I missed spending time with you, so I went around looking for you and Jiheon said you were still here. She said, and I quoted, 'She's starting to become another resident ghost of Gryffidor Tower, the only difference is she's still alive and locks herself in the room all day. Nearly Headless Nick is shaking in fear as we are talking'."

Yujin chuckles. "What can I do?" She gestures to piles of book, an action that is almost reflex now.

"Well, maybe hanging out with me?" Wonyoung tilts her head, pulling out her puppy eyes card. No, that doesn't sound right. Wonyoung can never be a puppy. Rabbit eyes. "Just for today, pleaseee?"

She laughes in fond amusement. "Is this how you are gonna kidnap me?"

"Is it working?"

"Definitely." She stands up. With the speed she's devouring all the work, studying can wait, even for another month. Wonyoung is in the top of her property list, and it's likely to remain that way for a very long time. "Let's drop by the kitchen first. I want a toast and we might get you something too."

 

 

***

 

 

The first question to open the conversation is quite... weird. Not about the question itself, but the way she has nothing to say to the other girl. "How are Rei and Jiwon?"

"They are good. Lovey dovey all day, I'm stuck being third wheel, but they're good. They take care of me very well."

This makes Yujin feel even guiltier. Taking care of Wonyoung is supposed to be her job, but the last time they had a talk that lasted longer than five minutes was... she couldn't recall, maybe one year ago? Yujin sighs. What a douchbag she is. Wonyoung has every right to be mad at her for neglecting the girl, and what is she doing here? Trying to be Yujin's therapist? This world doesn't deserve Wonyoung is one thing, but for Yujin- oh how she wishes she can grind down on herself until there's only shame left and yet still feels unsatisfied.

"I'm glad you have them." Yujin says quietly. The light wind is nice, the Quidditch pitch is empty, the darkness covers them; they are safe enough for her to show that she's a human being who has feelings. It tastes strange on her tongue when she continues. "They are nice kids. Like you."

"They are." Wonyoung hums lightly.

A moment of silence. "I'm sorry I was so... distant." Yujin whispers. "I was so focused on other things that I barely cared about you."

Of course Wonyoung will be Wonyoung, too kind and too loving. "I can take care of myself, you know? We all need time for ourselves. It's alright to try to figure out what to do with your problem."

"Not a whole damn year."

Wonyoung shrugs. "There's no time limitation. Some just has it longer."

Yujin blows out a breath. "You are too nice, do you know that?"

"I'm not."

"Oh you are. You are so kind that you try not to hurt people even when they are breaking your heart and leaving you with eternal wounds. You are so kind that you choose to be the responsible one despite crying alone later on your own bed without anybody around. You are so kind that you endure everything, from how this world mistreats you, how people gossip stupid things about you, to me being like this and you being lonely-" Yujin pauses, tears so close to fall down. "You just- Why don't you speak up? Fight back? Be mad at me. Tell me I'm a jerk and storm out, refusing to meet me until I bring a tent into your common room and camp there for two weeks."

"We are not in a cheap movie with corny script, Yujin." Wonyoung smiles, though sadness colours it a sorrowful hue. "I'm not too nice, just enough to love you and other important ones. Maybe this world is not fair to me, but as long as you all are here, I can deal with that."

Yujin moves closer to Wonyoung, head falling on the younger's shoulder. "What will happen to you when I'm not here anymore?"

"I still have Rei, Jiwon and Hyunseo." Wonyoung says, embracing Yujin as though she's a fragile child and one tight squeeze might break her beyond what they can fix. "I will be fine, Yujin. You don't need to worry about me. I can defend myself well."

"Alright." Yujin snuggles into the crook of Wonyoung's neck. "I'll try. I'm sorry."

"Don't be."

She listens to the beating of Wonyoung's heart. Steady and calm. She closes her eyes. The world slowers, then stops spinning.

"Do you ever feel lonely?"

Yujin opens her eyes. "What?"

"Do you ever feel lonely?" Wonyoung repeats. "I have other friends here, but you don't. After everyone graduated, you make no new friends, even in Quidditch team. You become paler, thinner, your smile's less brighter, and there's an infinite sadness in your eyes. Do you remember the end of your fifth year when you told us you were sick? I could feel it. The pain. It was loud, jarring, almost physical, even for a short period. But this is different. It seems like from being a sun, you are gradually fading away into... nothing."

She turns Yujin to face her and carefully cups her face.

"It's like watching a movie." Wonyoung tries to smile. "A movie of your life. The choices you will make. The pains you will go through." She a finger down Yujin's cheek. "And now I'm watching you fading away. Whatever it is, it's killing you. You are... dying." Wonyoung's voice is barely audible. "Like a withering flower."

She wipes the tears running down on Yujin's skin. "When you reach out from the screen, I will catch you. When you decide you want to change, I will help you. I will be there, all the way, and if needed I will show you I'm actually not so nice as you thought. I'm willing to be."

"You can barely hurt a fly." Yujin chokes out.

"Yeah but no one can hurt you. I won't allow that, so don't allow it either, Yujin." Wonyoung kisses her forehead. "You keep saying this world doesn't derseve me. It's you who it doesn't deserve."

 

 

***

 

 

She wanders around the castle, so familiar with every corner and short cut and secret path now that she can easily avoid anything or anyone having potential to ruin her alone time. It's quite funny because except for holiday, Hogwarts is always packed with creatures, like students and professors and ghosts and even house-elves, yet all she feels is like a piece that doesn't fit in the puzzle. Once or twice she thinks about contacting the others, then she drops it quickly as how it has visited her. If she's back there she would feel like she's in someone else's house; they look at her through a distorted filter she's created herself and each time she leaves, she'll wonder whether they really know who they were talking to or not.

"Yujin?"

The voice brings a halt to her tracks. She looks to her right. Professor Son is beaming at her, seemingly on the way to somewhere.

"Professor." She greets, lips automatically stretches into a smile. Professor Son's energy is really bright and comfortable. "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to meet Professor Bae. She needs someone to help her with some Muggle devices. A hopeless case, I would say. Brilliant at everything but not technology." Professor Son shakes her head, though there's no hint of annoyance in her voice. Only adoration and so much love. "Where are you going?"

"Ah I-" Yujin tears her gaze away, struggling to answer. Why is she hesitating? She can just lie the way she does to everyone. She's done it million times, she's practically a professor of this subject at this moment.

Then she looks back at Professor Son, whose eyes are big and warm. Professor Son, who's made of all nice things in this world. She doesn't know if that's what prompts her unusual reply. Maybe she's just tired. Tired of telling lies.

"I actually don't know. I'm just... walking."

"You don't know?" Professor Son tilts her head. "Is something bothering you?"

"I... I think so." She says, then adds. "I wouldn't use the word bothering. It's not bothering me. It's more like, like I treasure it, but it's not going the way I want to and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it."

Professor Son nods her head slowly. "I see. So you have nowhere to go? Just follow where fate takes you?"

"Probably." She chuckles. "Fate is a... strong word."

"But it's true. It brought you to me." Professor Son grins. "Do you want to join me and Professor Bae?"

Yujin blinks in surprise. Professor Son reads the instinctive rejection in her eyes and gives it no chance to come out in words. "You can take a look around the room, get some books or take turn to help Professor Bae. I'm afraid if it's just me today it's gonna take hours. I have to grade some assignments and without me, the relationship between Muggle devices and Joohyun only has one way to go." Professor Son laughs out loud, eliciting a slight lift in Yujin's mood. "So, what do you say?"

Yujin looks at her, imagining a room where a woman is pouting at a phone while the other one is doing her utmost to explain how to delete a post on some social network. The scene draws out a breathy laughter, and she hears herself say. "Sure, Professor Son. I'd love to."

 

 

***

 

 

Yujin can feel the harsh push on her back before someone yelps in time with the sound of books falling on the floor.

"I'm sorry." Elsie frantically says. "Are you hurt? I'm sorry I didn't notice the road. I should have left some of them-"

"It's fine." Yujin cuts her off gently. "I'm okay. This is nothing comparing to how Jimmy jumped on me yesterday. I could have sworn he broke some of my bones."

Elsie gives her a smile in response as they bend down to collect the books. "Why are you carrying so many at once?" Yujin asks, briefly glimpses a title. "Divination?"

"Professor Hill said I had talent in Divination. She wanted me to do some extra readings. Wouldn't hurt me, I reckon."

"What about your studies? Won't this be too much?"

"I don't have to read them now." Elsie explains. They almost get all the books. Knowledge can't hurt them physically, but this amount of books might. "They are for the summer."

"Makes sense." Yujin says, hand reaching to the last one near her feet. She notices it's the only one that's open after the fall. She picks it up; the drawing inside doesn't mean much to her, she's not that great at Divination, so she observers the edges and all to make sure there's nothing wrong.

"Alright." She says, about to close the book. "Seems fine. Here you-"

"Wait." Elsie stops her, gaze fixes on the page, a line appears between her brows. Yujin stares at her, perplexed.

"Elsie?"

"This one." The girl takes the book from her hand. There is a quiet moment in which Elsie frowns at the drawing while Yujin watches her with a raising hysteria.

"I'm not sure about this." Elsie finally speaks up. "But it's telling you something. Something unfortunate might happen, but not to you. Maybe your friends, or your family members, it's hard to say. The only thing I am sure of is that you know this person."

Yujin blinks, faces popping up in her mind. Elsie doesn't wait for her. "It also represents a turning point. An important change in life. Doesn't clarify whether it's good or bad though."

Elsie closes the book and shakes her head. They both stand up. "I don't know. I haven't learned about this, Divination is a bit mysterious too, so I might be wrong. However, just in case, please pay attention to your surrounding, at least for a week. Then you can dump all of this out of your head."

"Got it." Yujin nods slowly. She jerks her head at the pile of books in her own arms. "May be better if I help you."

"Ah no. You are busy, aren't you? Usually this time you are going to meet Wonyoung. You should go." Elsie smiles. "I've spotted Anthony. He'll help me."

"Okay, let me you to him first."

Yujin bids them goodbye and hurried back to the Great Hall, where Wonyoung and her friends are supposed to be. When she arrives and sees only Wonyoung waiting for her with a troubled expression, the rock in her stomach sinks immediately.

She quickly approaches the Slytherin. "Wonyoung? Are you okay? Did something happen?"

"Yujin?" Wonyoung startles slightly at her jumping out of nowhere. "I'm fine. I'm fine. Wait." Wonyoung her head to a side, scrutinizing Yujin. "Why are you asking... this? Like this?"

Yujin collapses next to Wonyoung, rubbing her face. "I just- Elsie ran into me earlier and one of her Divination books was open after the fall. The only one, to be exact."

Wonyoung blinks. "What did she say?"

"A bad event is on the way, not towards me yet towards someone I know."

A beat.

"Do you think... Yena...? Isn't she after a dangerous criminal?"

"I'm not sure. I want to check on you first. Somehow I have a feeling she'll be fine. Hyewon and Chaeyeon too."

Wonyoung mops her chin. "If that's the case then I think I might have an idea."

"You do?"

Wonyoung hums. "Elsie didn't say how bad it can be right? Jiwon broke her wand yesterday in her Care of Magical Creatures class. Imp and Jiwon. Never a good combination. She's got a sprained ankle, which is fine now thanks to Madam Kim, but she still has some exams she skipped before due to sickness. Unfortunately, they all need a wand, and we are worried. I think I'll let her borrow mine."

"You mean you already let her borrow yours." Yujin corrects after an observation.

"Right." Wonyoung smiles. "I hardly use it anyway. Rei needs hers for the extra class with Madam Kim."

"You can take mine." Yujin suggests.

"And watch you sit the exams, inevitably fail?"

"Return it to me when I need it." Yujin says in a isn't-this-obvious tone.

"So chivalrous." Wonyoung teases. "I'm almost done with my tests, the rest are writing ones only, a wand is not required. You, on the other hand, need to explode some cauldrons. Keep it. I will be alright."

That's the cue for Yujin to start. "What if someone attacks you? What if a troll breaks into here and charges at you? What if you want to knock someone out and when you reach to your wand, it's not there?"

"Then I'll call you." Wonyoung grins. Yujin rarely sees this, because this world has buried the mischievous side of Wonyoung six feet deep and built on it a calm person, always knows how to deal with things in a professional way. "I'll call your name, and you can be the prince rescuing the princess, although I can't think of a reason why I want to knock someone out."

Yujin looks into her eyes, optimistic and full of trust.

"You will come, right?"

"Of course I will." She ruffles Wonyoung's hair. "Have I ever allowed my damsel get hurt?"

 

 

***

 

 

Yujin!

I'm sorry for the late reply! I've been moving so frequently that it took your owl a long time to reach me. Weeks, I think? I don't know, but you will receive this soon, at least half of a month before your graduation. I can't believe you are going to graduate! But what's wrong with the letter? Did something happen? We are very fine, and by we I mean Yena and Hyewon as well. Met them on the way with an uninvited guest whose next stop is Azkaban right after Professor McClenahan has a word with him. Better be fast, some Dementors are looking for him. Seriously, why do they think letting Dementors lurking around is a good idea? The chance they can actually do something good is lower than the lowest point I can think of, yet the possibility of them ruining someone disturbs me greatly. Minjoo and I talked about this several times, she's doing her best to work on this. On the other note, according to Yena, Heejin is in Hogwarts, hiding somewere to keep you safe, so I assume there won't be anything, but prevention is better than cure.

You are okay now, aren't you? About that Dementor Boggart thing. I'm aware it's been months after the incident, but encountering a Dementor that soon is something I'd call a trauma. A Dementor Boggart is still a Dementor. If there's anything, please let me know. I love you a lot, you know it right?

This one, too, will be fairly short. I hope we make it in time, don't want to miss such a reunion. Yuri will arrive first, I believe. Sakura, Eunbi and Chaewon might come, Minjoo told me so. They want to meet you and Wonyoung, the infamous ones. I guess the girls have been talking lots about you to them, especially Minjoo.

See you soon, Yujin. Yena and Hyewon say they love you too, and take this letter as their responses to your inquire. Lazy bums.

Love you so much.

Sincerely,

Chaeyeon.

 

 

***

 

 

"Professor Son wants to meet you."

Yujin flinchs, ever so slightly, then keeps walking. "Oh?"

"She said she couldn't find you. There's something she wanted to talk about, and it's quite urgent."

"Right now?"

Wonyoung pulls out a watch from one of the pockets. "In half an hour."

Yujin nods absently. "Okay."

"Yujin."

"Yeah?"

"Is everything alright?" Wonyoung gingerly asks. "Professor Son loves everyone and is loved equally, but I've never seen you two interacted before. Is everything alright?"

Yujin slowers her steps, then stops. She looks to her right, not interested in the lake or anything, just wants to think without feeling guilty under Wonyoung's gaze.

"Everything's fine." She says, looking at Wonyoung, head hanged a litte lower. "It's just, I will tell you after we meet the girls tonight, okay?"

Wonyoung nods, doesn't press on the topic. "Okay."

Before any of them can form another word, someone bounces on Wonyoung and slaps Yujin lightly on her shoulder. "Ladies!"

"Jiheon." Yujin rubs the sore spot, groaning. "Why are you so violent today?"

"Drop the act." Jiheon rolls her eyes. "Wonyoung, I need your help."

"Since when you have a thing that related to Wonyoung?" Yujin squints her eyes, curious.

"Quiet." Jiheon hushes her. "You've missed half of stories of my life from the moment you chose books over me."

"Don't be dramatic. We just talked yesterday."

"Yes, and all we talked about is exams. This is not an exam. This is a girl, and Wonyoung knows this girl."

"For the record," Wonyoung says, "Rei and Jiwon are taken. By each other. Hyunseo is too young, she's off-limits."

"Not them." Jiheon says, rather impatient. "Why would I want to be such a jerk? I don't want to go to jail either."

"Then who?" Yujin raises an eyebrow. "I haven't seen you wandering around any unfamiliar face recently."

"Can't tell you." Jiheon shakes her head. "You know her."

"Oh so Wonyoung, who also knows the girl, can be told about her, but not me? The one who's been your roommate for seven years?"

"Because you've been my roommate for seven years, I can't tell you. You'll tease me." Jiheon mumbles, cheeks heating up. "At least let me find out whether I stand a chance or not first."

Yujin laughs, doesn't bother to dignify it. "Fair enough. I also has a place to go now." She winks at them. "I will find out eventually. Wonyoung, spill the tea later!"

 

 

***

 

 

Imagine how surprised she is when she bids Professor Son good bye while opening the door, then closes it and takes a proper first look of the surrounding just to find a bunch of people dragging a boy across the hallway, heading straight to her.

"Here you are." Yena pushes the boy, growling. "That's Ahn Yujin, now speak up."

He stumbles forward, and for a fleeting moment Yujin thinks he could have fallen flat on his face, yet he gains balance swiftly and stands up straight, pointed chin up, scornful gaze fixes at her. It doesn't take long for Yujin to recognize this face. In fact, memories have rushed back to her at the first glance.

This is the one who gifted her a Bludger to the shoulder.

"What is this?" She asks. "Why are you here with him?"

"I think it'd be better if you answer." Yena politely mocks him. To her disappointment, he does not show the faintest interest, only focus on making sure Yujin know he repulses her.

"Guess I have to take the matter into my own hand. Yujin, allow me to introduce the one who casted Imperius Curse on Baek Jiheon, your roommate, and managed to wipe her memory before Chaeyeon could do anything."

The world stops as her heart drops. "What?"

"I had a hunch." Chaeyeon says. "Jiheon is at Hospital Wing now, and he wouldn't say anything except that he wanted to meet you."

Yujin's gaze lands on him. She has never desired to punch someone so much before that it overwhelms her. "Your wish has been fulfilled. Why did you do that? What do you want?"

"None of you know my name." He says, completely ignoring the question. "My name is George Myer."

"No one asked, but thanks for the information." Yena snorts.

"You need to know, because you will remember it." He smirks, malice spreads on his face. "Especially you, Ahn Yujin."

"What do you want?" She repeats through gritted teeth.

"What do I want?" He his head to side, eyes big and innocent. Yujin might dislocate her jaw with how hard she's clenching it. "I want you to suffer." George says gently, as if it's the kindest thing he could say to someone. "I want you to be ruined by the most painful experience one could have had in their life."

She takes a step closer and grabs his collar. "What did you do?"

"Oh I just showed who you really are to this world." George smiles. "Do you know what people think of you? The pride of Gryffindor. The best Seeker in the history. The most attractive girl, always so lively and kind. They worship you as though you are the sun in the sky, bright and warm, a god who saves people and guides them through the darkness."

He stops for a moment to enjoy the shaking of her hands in anger.

"Does anyone actually know who you really are, Yujin? How your life really is? No. No one does. You never let anyone know. You keep it deep inside your chest, hiding behind the perfect wall you have built over the years, just like a little pathetic human being you are. I wonder how they will react when they find out the truth that you are nothing. Not aglow. Not playful. Not sophisticated. Not happy. Nothing."

George breathes in, pleased at the shock she presents, knowing he has succeeded. "All you have is your little world with your little friends, who you have used as an excuse for years. Do they know it, Yujin? Know that without them, you have no destination left, so you're content with wagging your tail around them, never brave enough to get out there in the real world. The sun? You are not the sun. You can barely guide yourself, let alone others."

She stares at him, the grab on his collar loosens. "Why did you do this to me?" She whispers. "I did nothing to you. I don't even know you."

"Well, I suppose your meaningless life and your coward self have let me down." George says, shrugging his shoulders. "You and your face, just a tool to attract people. I certainly expected more from the person Sung Ah has her eyes on."

George is a head shorter than Yujin, but at this moment he might well as be hovering over her, watching in disgust how she's shrinking back, and pitiful. "You broke her. At first I imagined you were out of her reach, now I understood I placed my expectation on wrong people."

"That's not something I have a say in." She mutters weakly, arms slip down to her side. "I cannot control what she feels."

"No you can't. But you might have a say in the life of your friend." He strechts his lips again, only this time it's a devil's smile. "Go now, Yujin, or Jang Wonyoung will no longer know who you are, even just the boring, empty one."

Wonyoung. Jiheon. She pushes him against the wall in her bottomless rage. "Where is she?"

"Back to being fierce, aren't we?"

"Shut up." She snarls. "I'm much better than what you said. I know how to love, and I am loved back, and that's better than anything in this world, so you are going to tell me where Wonyoung is, or I am going to throw you to the lake and let whatever in it eat you alive."

"You are terrible at threatening." George snickers. "Why don't you make a guess?"

"Maybe around here." Yena suggests, stopping Yujin from beating him up. "Heejin is in the forest. If Wonyoung's there she'd be fine."

And she notices it. The subtle stretching at one corner of his lips. The wicked delight he thought no one would see.

"She's not." She takes a step back.

And she runs.

It feels like deja vu. Same dread. Same speed. Same screams from her heart. But the road to where she needs to go to keeps extending, the darkness keeps falling, and when she enters the Forbidden Forest she wants nothing more than to burst out crying. How can she find Wonyoung in this endless forest, where if her soul hasn't been out by some Dementors then any creature living here all stands a good chance at ruining what contains it?

Yujin grips her wand tightly, choosing a random direction to sprint towards. Grass crumbles and dry leaves rustles beneath her feet as she dashes like a mad girl, lost in this forest, lost in her fear.

The girl doesn't even have her wand with her.

"Bloody hell." Yujin curses, not minding this is the first time such words escape . "Where are you?"

She doesn't know what she hates more. The dead silence here, dripping with her apprehension, or there's no sound of Wonyoung, not a yelping, or crying, or calling-

"Wonyoung!" She bellows. She couldn't careless should she wake the whole Hogwarts up. "Wonyoung! Where are you?"

Nothing.

The air is still. All she can see is the darkness of the woods surrouding her, impenetrable and limitless. She cannot breathe; it feels like she can reach out and rip off whatever it is, hoping behind it would be Wonyoung, perhaps scared, yet alive nonetheless...

Somewhere in the faraway distance, comes a vague whisper. "Yujin."

She whirls.

She doesn't stop to question what if it's just the wind. She doesn't have time for that. She doesn't even think of that. She runs into the night, more determined than ever, following her instinct, following the call of Wonyoung.

"Then I'll call you. You will come, right?"

"Of course I will. Have I ever allowed my damsel get hurt?"

As soon as she spots Wonyoung crawling backwards on the ground, gaze fixing at three Demetors deliberately gliding towards her as if this is just a game for them, Yujin stands in front of the girl, not minding the icy cold and raises her wand.

"Expecto Patronum!"

A wisp of silver shoots from the tip of her wand, which only slows down the Dementors, not enough to chase them away.

This is not a Boggart. This is not a classroom in Hogwart. This is real. Those Dementors are real. Yujin musters all her strength, concentrating on a happy memory, but the voices in her head have started and her vision is fading. Once again she finds herself nothing if not a pathetic existance in this world, defeated in every battle against her fears, impotent on the road to find whatever she is looking for.

"...the truth that you are nothing. Not aglow. Not playful. Not sophisticated. Not happy. Nothing."

"I don't love you. I didn't. I don't. And I will never do."

Yujin lowers her wand, unable to distinguish between reality and her mind. She has spent all this time running away from everything, always run and run, never brave enough to face even just one of them. Is George wrong? No he's not. In fact, he's truer than anything she has come to know in her life, even herself.

The Dementors are like the ghosts in her dream. Closer and closer. She can just vanish away, back to where she's supposed to be, then Wonyoung-

Wonyoung.

She jolts back, now realizing the Slytherin has stood up and is holding on her cloak. She looks to the wobbly girl, who's looking back at her, face pale and covered in dust, smiling.

"Don't worry. I'm here with you."

 

"Don't worry. I'm here with you."

"I'm not worried." Yujin blew out a breath, grinning. "Just waiting to shine." She stared at Yena's hare and Chaeyeon's swan. Hyewon was about to conjure hers. This was the first time all of them casted Patronus together. Wonyoung would be right after her, that is, if she succedded.

"Or making a fool of myself." She added humorously. "Whichever I prefer today."

 

Memories bursts in her mind. Yena teasing Wonyoung about something during the lunch, Hitomi shutting the girl up with no effort. Nako staring in awe at Chaeyeon's Patronus, Yuri gluing herself on Hyewon, evidently blackmailing the Curse Breaker for food. There were laughter; she remembers their voices, she remembers how happy they were, she was, then Yujin raised her wand... A black bear erupted; it ambled towards a girl, the bright light illuminated her beautiful face... It moved around her in a circle, setting up a barrier...

Her smile. A smile filled with only admiration and happiness; a light she could never find anywhere else.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

As the Dementors swoop away with the icy cold, Wonyoung releases her hold and falls down, finally giving up fighting to stay conscious. Yujin catches Wonyoung in time before her head hits the ground, not panic or alarm, only a quick glance for her aim.

She can't tear her eyes away from her Patronus.

This time, the fox doesn't leave immediately. It saunters in the air, unhurried. Yujin watches it without blinking.

At long last, it returns her attention, and maybe it's just Yujin: she has gone through the most insane experience in eighteen years living on this Earth, maybe her mind is messed up, she's gone mad somehow thanks to the Dementors...

But the fox.

Its gaze.

It looks really sad, not so obvious, more of a quiet sorrow which, oddly, she can feel.

Disappointment.

Voices back in her head in realization.

"Whatever it is, it's killing you. You are... dying."

"It seems like you are... suffering."

"Like a withering flower."

When a hare and a polar bear arrive, following by the voices of Yena and Hyewon, they find Yujin holding Wonyoung, both silent and unmoving. She keeps staring at something in the space, something that's either invisible or simply not there.

Something that has stayed.

 

 

***

 

 

"He should have been expelled the second he jinxed the Bludger!"

"Calm down Yuri-"

"Don't tell me to calm down we all know he could have gotten both Yujin and Wonyoung killed!"

"I should have punched him. I can't believe I let him trick me."

"He tricked all of us. He planned everything."

"What about Heejin? Where was she? Is she alright?"

"She's fine. He just sent her somewhere really far."

"How did he do it? She's an Auror."

"If he could break Yujin's shoulder just for fun, knowing no one could do anything to him then making a plan to mess up with Heejin is not impossible. A false emergency will do."

"That's it. I want to talk to him."

"No, no- Yena holds her she's gonna end him-"

The door is left ajar as Madam Kim goes outside, asking them to shut up in the kindest way she can think of. For some weird reason, there's no student here today except Yujin, Wonyoung, and Jiheon, two laying still on the bed, unconscious, one sitting on a chair, contemplating. Madam Kim has suggested she take a bed, ready to deal with a stubborn student. However, one smile and a shake of head from Yujin made her drop the proposal, let the Gryffindor be.

Something's different this time.

Someone closes the door, blocks all the noises outside. Yujin pays the person no mind. She only moves her head as a familiar voice enters her tray of thoughts.

"Why don't you rest?"

She gives Minjoo an expressionless look, then turns back to Wonyoung. "Not necessary."

A beat.

"How's Wonyoung?"

"Shock and tired."

"Does she have any wound?"

"No. Jiheon resisted the urge to harm her physically. It's just Stunner. Enough to knock her out."

Besides, George Myer definitely prefers Wonyoung to play tag game with the Dementors as long as she could. That's just who he is. Cruel and merciless.

"What about you?"

"Some scratches here and there. No lasting damage."

Minjoo glances to another bed with closed curtain. "Is that Jiheon?"

"Yeah."

"How is she?"

"In general, fine. At least he's brilliant at Memory Charm." She snorts.

The conversation falls dead. Minjoo looks at the back of Yujin's head, out of things to say next.

"I should have come sooner." She mutters eventually. "I'm sorry."

Yujin doesn't reply, doesn't show any hint she has acknowledged it. Minjoo is wondering if she heard it when the girl suddenly sighs. "You said it last time too."

The older one blinks in confusion.

"The letter. My last Quidditch match. You also said you should have come sooner. You shouldn't. You always arrived on time."

Yujin releases Wonyoung's hand, pulls the blanket to her chin, fixes her hair then stands up to face Minjoo. To Minjoo's surprise, her eyes are soft and gentle, yet she's aware they aren't the same.

"Do you have a minute? I want to talk to you."

Minjoo nods in hesitation. "Sure."

"Is outside alright for you? Professors have got everyone back to dormitories. No one will run into us."

"Our friends. They are right here."

"They aren't. By now they are in front of Headmaster's office, stopping each other from killing George Myer."

She moves toward Minjoo. "Let's go."

No talk happens during the walk, just an awkward Minjoo and a masked Yujin, marching side by side yet feels like they are a thousand miles away. Every instant Minjoo wishes to say something, Yujin's face kills it. Shortly she will hang her head low, defeated at the bitter fact that she no longer knows Yujin.

No longer has a picture of this girl.

They come to a halt at the empty Courtyard. Minjoo steals a glance at Yujin, who's having her hands crossed before her chest, brows furrow slightly. She presses her lips thin. There's nothing she can do but waiting for Yujin to start.

Yujin takes her time to begin. "It's been a long time since the last time you met my black bear, hasn't it?"

"It has."

"The truth is, I've only conjured Patronus twice after you graduated. I think you already know which occasions."

Minjoo nods, not knowing where Yujin's leading her.

"Has anyone ever told you that you looked like a vixen?"

Taken aback by the sudden question, Minjoo glimpses her. Yujin remains her gaze straight, refusing to look at Minjoo. "Some people did. Sakura even saves my contact number as vixen."

"Good." Yujin says absently, studying the night sky. There are stars tonight. "Do you by any chance miss my black bear?"

"I do." Minjoo admits.

Yujin smiles. "Well, I hate to break it to you but I don't think you are going to meet my black bear again."

She pauses, then continues despite Minjoo's bewildered reaction. "And I also don't think I will introduce you to my new Patronus."

Minjoo stares at her, speechless. Of course she knows what a new Patronus means. She opens and closes several times, struggling to absorb the information.

"I remember the first time I met you. I have always remembered it. So vivid. You and your beautiful smile and your shy gesture as you raised your finger to touch your nose. You do it whenever you are shy, do you know that?" She chuckles lightly. "It shines. The memory. You. Like a tiny sun. So I keep it in my pocket, console myself with its light at any time I feel like there's nothing left for me in this world."

She takes in a quiet breath in another recall. "That, however, does not have a profound impact on me as the first time you met my black bear. I remember it was dark. You sat too far from the others' Patronus to bask in their light. When my black bear approached you, its light shone on your face, illuminated your smile, and I couldn't tear my eyes away from it. You looked so happy. A pure happiness."

Her smile drops. "That moment, I vowed to protect you and your well being, that I would do everything to make sure it is everyday and not just a memory. I guess at that moment I didn't recognize how important you truly were." She whispers. "How losing you would kill me."

"When I did, it was... it... hurt. It hurt because I realized I could never have you for myself, not when the more I reached out to you, the further you drifted away, like a dream. A dream that will never come true. I've had no reason to believe it would work, but I've had so many to belive it would not, and even more for the belief that it would change you. Change. I don't like that. I don't want this to change. I don't want to lose you."

George was right, wasn't he? "But I guess I have to."

She turns to Minjoo, takes in a quick look of the older girl. She can't read what Minjoo thinks. "I'm going to Denmark next month. Been talking to Professor Son about it. I'll start something new there. Something I've never done before. Hopefully it'll be different, because I don't think I can go on like this anymore."

She tries to swallow the broken parts in . Trying not to cry. "You are everything I have. All of you. I thought it was enough. I thought it could save me..."

Yujin's voice trails off. Her gaze returns to Minjoo, and stays. Two years of shoving this deep inside her chest, she now lets her feeling come out, blossoming on her face in an affectionate longing. Finally. "You mean a lot to me. I don't think I can ever tell you how much I love you or make you feel it. Perhaps it's better if you don't know. Good bye, Minjoo."

She turns, body stiff as rock. Where will she go now? Back to Wonyoung, definitely. But where will she go from here? In life? She doesn't know. She absolutely has no idea. She thought she does, there's Denmark and Professor Son, even Professor Bae, then why does everything feel so hollow? Ripping out a large part off her chest is way more terrible than what she could imagine. Something is missing and her soul knows this, for the substitute is on the way- faster than the fastest speed, stronger then the strongest storm.

A nightmare.

Maybe if she walks away quick enough she can leave it behind. Maybe if she walks away quick enough the tears will never cease and the heart will never scatter.

"So you aren't going to hear what I have to say?"

Her feet take two small steps before halt. Her muscles twitch subtly as though they don't know how to function under this emotion.

"I - I don't-"

She pauses. With that volume Minjoo can hear nothing and she can hear all the pain.

"Yujin."

She will turn around, she knows that. That's just how thing is. That's just who she is and thing she will do, and she wishes nothing more than to be someone else to cross over to the gate and get out of here.

The pain catches up with her in the slow, horrible dance on the spot to face Minjoo.

"Minjoo." She says, almost begging. "Please."

Minjoo only stares at her, face unreadable. Her gaze is the blade of a knife; it cuts Yujin deep inside,

and then,

tears fall.

As a fish watches the world through water, she sees the veins on Minjoo's neck when the girl looks to the side.

"It's not the whole truth. How I came to notice you." Minjoo swallows. "It was hard to say. It was a feeling. A vague one. Like something was wrong. Something's off. I couldn't quite explain it. Not until I saw your face when you spotted Wonyoung."

"It's true that no one is alike. No one is the same. But sometimes, it feels like everyone was born in a world and you were in another one. Alone. No escape. And you don't know how to tell anyone about this without hurting them or confusing them."

Minjoo takes in a breath. "But it's fine Yujin. It's fine to feel lonely even when you have friends. Us. It's fine because although friendship is one of the greatest things human can have, it's not everything. At one point or another, we are all lonely, Yujin. Lonely together."

Minjoo looks at her and smiles, shaking her head. "You cannot let your world obit only around us. You cannot deny your world as it is right now. It's not wrong. Don't feel guilty because of it. It's just how it is."

She takes a step closer to Yujin, then another, and another.

"You have to go. Find your colors. Find your own truth." Minjoo puts her palm on Yujin's cheek, thumb wiping her tears gently. "Don't make us everything you have. Romantic, but not the best choice."

"You are important to me."

"We are, and we hope to be one of the best things that ever happened to you, not the only one."

Yujin stares at her. "My parents love me. You guys love me. Professors adore me. I'm brilliant at studying and Quidditch. Except what just happened, most of my life was great. I have nothing to complain about."

"We call it aspects of life, don't we? Try to fulfill one of them or more when we don't feel quite ourselves. What if it's not in there? What if in the act of narrowing, we also blind what we need to find?"

Minjoo grabs Yujin's hand and puts it on her chest. Underneath it, a whole universe is moving.

"You can't narrow your soul, Yujin. To find the answer, you have to begin the journey. Denmark is your start."

Minjoo lets go of her and takes a step back. Yujin already misses her warmth.

"And maybe," Minjoo's voice becomes softer, "maybe I will discover my soul too. To see what it will tell me."

She lifts her gaze, searching for Yujin's. A flower blooms on her lips. Yujin blinks.

Great Hall. Sunlight. Blue sky. White clouds.

"I can't say anything now, Yujin. But I hope I can meet you in the middle of the road."

Her light.

"Have a great time in Denmark, okay?"

Yujin's chest raises then falls. Minjoo is still radiant in the dark, only this time not as far as she was. She's here, right here, and while the day Yujin can reach her may never come, so what?

They will be fine.

Slowly, Yujin mirrors the smile on Minjoo's face.

It feels like forever.

"Okay."

 

-END-