and more

Friends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunbi is too young when she first thinks of hate.

 

She is barely ten years old when her face twists and her eyebrows furrow under the weight of jealousy. Eunbi is only ten years old when her heart fills with wrath and very bad feelings.

 

Because her unnie, Eunha, is happy.

 

It's not the kind of happiness that Eunbi shares with her, like when Eunha got the highest grade in cheerleading practice two years ago and Eunbi begged her parents to help her give the eldest a gift for her achievement. Or when Eunha told Eunbi about her goals and dreams and Eunbi promised that she would be with her every step of the way.

 

No, this is the kind of happiness that Eunbi hates. The joy and happiness that Eunha feels is the biggest factor in Eunbi's moodiness, because she doesn't share it with her. 

 

It's easy to tell that their n​​​​ew friend, Jung Yerin, is here to stay. It's easy to tell that the girl they both saved from the bad kids at school is sweet, warm, and positive. It's easy to know that everything Yerin is, is everything Eunbi hates.

 

Eunha smiles at Yerin with a blush on her cheeks and an outstretched hand, waiting for the older one to shake it. Eunbi only wishes for Jung Yerin to turn around and ignore them forever, so that she can be the only one in Eunha's heart.

 

But when Yerin's smile becomes just as wide and happy as Eunha's and the eldest shakes her hand back, Eunbi's heart gets a new crack knowing that she just lost Eunha.

 

Eunbi is too young when she first thinks of hate.

 

Eunbi is too young when she realizes that she hates Jung Yerin.

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

Things don't get any better, and Eunbi must learn to be around Yerin.

 

When the girl introduces herself to the group of friends so Sojung, Yewon, and Yuna can get to know her, Eunbi can only sigh and kick nonexistent rocks off the ground so her disdain isn't so noticeable. Eunha is oh so excited for her other friends to meet Yerin, and Eunbi hates Yerin even more when they all smile at her and warmly welcome her to the group of five.

 

Eunbi doesn't look when Eunha hugs Yerin, she doesn't look when Sojung invites them all out for an ice cream and instead of holding her hand she holds Yerin's. Eunbi's fingers burn and twist in agony as they all continue forward without looking back while she stays behind.

 

Eunbi is too young when she decides that she will never be friends with Jung Yerin.

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

And Eunbi is just as weak as ever.

 

The girl is once again a poor victim of Eunha's beautiful smiles and cannot escape the love that engulfs her heart when the eldest asks her to talk to Yerin more. Eunbi doesn't even call her by her name and leaves the rooms whenever Yerin enters one where she is and everyone was noticing this.

 

Two years had passed since the time Eunbi saw Jung Eunha and Jung Yerin's first meeting, and the girl was becoming more and more unable to hide her anger. Eunbi felt anxious every day and there was this bit of guilt in the darkest corner of her mind which screamed at her that all this wasn't Jung Yerin's fault.

 

The eldest was sweet and charming, tall and pale with a smile that turned her eyes into crescents and a personality even brighter than the sun itself. Yerin was everything Eunbi hated, but she was everything everyone else adored.

 

Jung Yerin wasn't the one to blame for her hatred, but every time Eunbi caught another hug or look between Eunha and her, all reasoning went out of her hands.

 

Eunbi is too young when she decides to give Yerin a chance.

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

"Yerin isn't that bad, you know?"

 

Sojung talks to her one day. The tension between Eunbi and Yerin has been thickening over the years. Eunbi was completely wrong when she thought that the sweet girl would never confront her or ask her what her problem was, since Yerin was so innocent that she would never notice her bad feelings.

 

It was more than obvious that it would happen, but Eunbi always ignored it.

 

So when Yerin begins to respond to her sarcastic words and jealousy, Sojung decides to intervene.

 

"She has always wanted to be your friend."

 

A small part of her head screams at such words that she wants to be hers too, but something stops her and not even Sojung's words can make it go away.

 

"Maybe you should give her a chance, when Eunha isn't around."

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

Yerin isn't so bad when Eunha isn't around.

 

The tension is completely extinguished one day, when Yerin comes to her house asking if she knows where she can find Eunha and Eunbi's mom invites her inside for tea and cookies.

 

Eunbi is confused when she tries to search for that familiar anger inside her to put together hurtful words and hopefully get Jung Yerin out of her house but she can't find it, while Yerin is all smiles and gentle words around her mom.

 

When Yerin is alone with Eunbi and there is a plate of cookies in front of them, the air is about to get thick again when suddenly Yerin smiles.

 

Eunbi expected whispers or glances to show Yerin's true intentions, but her lips move involuntarily when Yerin speaks to her and all anger disappears when Eunbi smiles at her too. 

 

This shouldn't be happening.

 

She shouldn't talk to Yerin, she doesn't have to offer her more ginger tea or invite her to her room to play video games. There's no reason for Yerin to say yes, nor is there one to explain why that was one of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter