one.

one & six
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunji is drunk on milk and cookies. 

 

Well, not literally, which is quite unfortunate if she’s gonna be honest, however with her emotions surging at an all-time high, she might as well be considered emotionally drunk. And all because of some tasteless cliché coming-of-age movie.

 

"...Who even suggested this movie?" Bomi’s voice is just a little above a whisper, nibbling unevenly through her cookies beside Eunji. Dark eyes teeming with envy and sorrow, Bomi keeps her gaze fixed on the huge flat-screen TV - so intense it can burn a hole through the screen.

 

Sniffling, Eunji doesn’t miss a second to rub another drop of an escaped tear rolling down her cheek with the back of her hand covered in the cotton of her oversized hoodie. She forces out a snort. "You did, you idiot."

 

Choking back tears, Bomi’s throat bobs, sniffing. "Well, you should have refused still."

 

Eunji doesn’t answer and instead takes a slow bite of the store-bought cookie, feeling more tears well up her eyes. 

 

She usually doesn't cry openly but it's only Bomi here and the living room's only light source is the TV - an atmosphere and setting almost inviting an emotional breakdown.

 

A group of teenagers, annoying smiles on their faces as they hold their diplomas against their chests, preparing to throw their graduation caps in the air - the scene is flashed in high-definition on the 4K LCD screen, almost mocking them.

 

No matter how much the scene irks her, it doesn't stop Eunji from keeping her eyes trained on the TV as the epilogue plays along with the credits rolling up the screen peacefully while the annoyingly jolly soundtrack flows along with it - she almost wants to crush the glass of milk in her hands into tiny little pieces.

 

The fact that two lonely adults in the latter part of their 20s like them are watching a found family, coming-of-age film, highlighting their own friendless misery in the process on a Thursday night, it is a no-brainer that they’d feel heavily emotional over the matter.  

 

Looking at Bomi, Eunji isn’t surprised to see her tear-stained cheeks glistening against the light from the TV. They are not friendless, per se. They have each other. She loves Bomi and she's sure Bomi feels the same. She would never exchange what they have for anything in the world.

 

But while they have each other, they have no circle of friends to hang out with. They are far from unfriendly, but due to certain circumstances, people tend to keep their distance and not involve themselves further with them outside casual and professional encounters. 

 

In short, they have no -"hey let's all get matching bracelets!' - type of close-knit friendships with others, no group outings where they take a bunch of scrapbook-worthy pictures, no nothing. They don't even qualify for a group discount in Lotte World! And that's a lot of money saved if ever - she calculated. Not that she’s tight on money or whatever. But it’s just in case they miraculously have a friend join them on their yearly summer day out in the amusement park. 

 

And so far, no one did for years. And counting.

 

"You're such a great friend, Eunji… Thank you so much.” And there it is. Bomi gets soft and vulnerable like this whenever she feels like crying her eyes out, snot and all. Despite being as sober as someone who had an ice-cream soda on New Year's Eve, Bomi sounds like she just had ten shots of soju straight. 

 

"Thank you for coming here and helping my run-down theater even if you have decent work in Busan…" Bomi continues, eyes on the carpet they are currently sitting on.

 

Eunji sniffs for the last time, her tears now mostly gone. However, her voice is still a bit hoarse from the of the movie. "It’s not run-down, what are you talking about... Apink theater is a big name." 

 

Bomi hesitates before parting her lips. “...Was a big name, Eunji. There’s a difference.” She picks on the carpet with her fingers, a hint of anxiety in her eyes - the uncertainty of what’s to come along with the fear of the possibility that the future has nothing good in store for her.

 

“Really though, I already told you. You don’t have to feel so bad about making me move here. Cheongju Women’s University’s salary is much higher than Kyungnam High’s.” Eunji clarifies, pouring herself another glass of milk before downing it in one shot. She'd probably have a nice time camping out in the bathroom later but that's for future Eunji to worry about.

 

Bomi hiccups, probably affected by the drunk atmosphere, who knows. Her best friend can be dramatic at times. "You should be focusing on your job and resting in your free time yet you still accepted to be an actress in my troupe.” She sighs deeply. “You’re insane.”

 

A laugh bubbles out of Eunji's lungs at Bomi's honest-to-heart ramblings. Laughing through tears is probably a sign of emotional instability but really, she isn't anywhere near stable right now after that heart-wrenchingly happy movie they unfortunately just watched.

 

"I get a life free from utility bills because of the actress contract. Saves me from stress." Eunji casually slings an arm around Bomi's shoulders, conveying her reciprocated gratitude.

 

Comfortable silence washing over them, the light from the TV glistens back from their pupils as they watch the autoplay preview of some fantasy movie. Still hours away from bedtime without anything to do, spending time just like this is healing, one way or another.

 

"Honestly, do you think we can last another year?" Bomi mumbles, leaning easily against Eunji, her shoulders almost limp from her words.

 

“Suddenly? What brought this on?” Eunji turns her gaze from the TV to her, quirking an eyebrow.

 

Bomi shrugs before running a hand through her dark hair flopped free over her loose shirt. “Went home last weekend and Dad talked about selling everything. He said I should use the money to go to college this time instead of trying to revive a dead business.”

 

Eunji hums, not exactly surprised by the proposition from Mr. Yoon. “At this rate, the overhead costs of running the theater and the dorms alone will blow a hole in your pocket. It’s not exactly making a profit, especially with the last batch of actresses from last year already retiring.”

 

Bomi winces at the cold, hard facts. “Yeah. Up until last year, we were just earning a decent amount to not get into the red. But now that they’re gone, bankruptcy is in sight.”

 

“It’s not a horrible idea though.” Eunji hugs her knees before scooting up closer to get just enough warmth. With the season still fresh from winter, evenings still tend to be cold. “A fresh start is great, especially since we’re still young.”

 

Bomi sighs, copying Eunji’s position, and buries her head on her knees. “Selling everything includes the Apink name. While it’s not a huge name now, gaining the rights to our past stageplays and stuff is sought after by others in the theater industry. It’s worth even more than this building,” she explains, voice a bit muffled by her knees. “I can’t do that. Apink means a lot to my family. ...It means a lot to me.”

 

“Yes. I know. I mean, we used to sit in a lot of your father’s shows and practices.”

 

Bomi smiles. “Fun times.”

 

At that, Eunji can’t help but sport a smile of her own. “But still though, if it’s detrimental to keep running it, letting go is also a valid option.” Eunji has always been the realist between them, keeping Bomi grounded. Too much optimism can be harmful in certain situations. Like now. “Let’s try to get the theater back to its feet for just one more year.”

 

“One year… I wonder if that’s enough.”

 

“Well, I think if anyone can pull it off, it would be you.” Eunji grins in reassurance, bumping her by the shoulder.

 

“But we really are short on people so I was actually planning to get in contact with the guys and–"

 

"Don't." Eunji immediately cuts her off with a warning look. The guys can only refer to them. "They will only bring trouble to the theater. Trust me, I would know."

 

Bomi's shoulders droop for a second before slowly nodding. "You're right. Delinquents aren't exactly the best option to turn to in the entertainment business."

 

"It's funny how we used to be one ourselves." Eunji's lips twitch up in self-deprecation, eyes glinting knowingly as it meets Bomi's. "Who would have thought we'd end up as normal functioning adults, huh?"

 

Bomi snorts. "Barely functioning. But well, at least one of us has a stable income."

 

A stable income, huh. In a money-obsessed world, you’d think that having money would at least make her feel complete and satisfied - it’s essential for sure but it’s just something Eunji can easily dismiss in the back of her head. That in itself must be a privilege.

 

Eunji sighs, collapsing back on the edge of the sofa, the stress accompanying the mention of work weighing on her chest. Almost just a week in the university and it’s already draining her. "Thinking about work makes me want an actual drink."

 

"And you can't." Bomi finishes for her, popping another mini-cookie between her teeth, a crunch sounding out a few seconds later. 

 

"Unfortunately." As much as Eunji likes getting drunk, it's a school night and she'd be darned if she goes to work tomorrow reeking of soju and chaser and sadness. Professor Park will have another excuse to nitpick on her again. That young woman had a lot to say about her choice of work attire and her demeanor - and if not, she can sometimes feel her split-second judging glances a few times throughout the past few days she has been working.

 

"What's getting you riled up? Got problem students?"  

 

Eunji hums. "Well, there's that, yeah. A problem class actually. But it's nothing I can't handle." Honestly, worry stirs up within her chest whenever she thinks about it. She’s been burying her past as a delinquent in the ground where it belongs and then she suddenly has to deal with another set of delinquents.

 

“Not like it’s anything new, right? You’d do well!” 

 

“Too true.” Eunji chuckles, biting into a cookie.

 

Both of their eyes are still trained on the TV but honestly, Eunji can’t remember half the plot at this point, engrossed with her conversation with Bomi. Serious topics are few and far between them that when they get into it, Eunji can’t bring herself to focus on something as menial as a movie.

 

“How was today’s audition?” Eunji strikes up another conversation after giving up on trying to understand how the two protagonists managed to get to the point that they’re now in love and willing to die for each other.

 

“You know. The usual.” Bomi replies impassively and Eunji immediately gets it, nodding. 

 

Ever since the last women of the troupe have left due to wanting to move to a different stage in their lives, Bomi had been in a constant attempt to attract new actresses for auditions. However, Bomi once told her that the only thing missing during the audition times would probably be a tumbleweed rolling across the venue to complete the picture of emptiness and silence.  

 

With budget tight as it is, Bomi can’t afford to hire a marketing specialist - Eunji can’t exactly help in that regard as well either. She is no social media superstar herself. The most her Instagram and Twitter accounts can reach is maybe a few people back in Busan.

 

“Can’t you get in touch with some of the former members from way back?” she suggests absentmindedly. It may have been eons since their glory days but Eunji remembers Apink theater being a happy place where everyone seemed to enjoy each others’ company.

 

Bomi glumly rests her back against the couch. “I recently called Yookyung, but her schedule is too full at the moment and she had to apologize.” She sighs. “She said she’d spread the word to her co-workers though, which is nice of her.”

 

Eunji nods. “Yookyung, huh? It’s nice that she’s doing well now. She had always wanted to stay with the theater but with everyone leaving one by one, it’s hard to keep working here.”

 

“That’s true.”

 

“Well, let’s just keep looking. Someone will eventually show up.”

 

Bomi sighs deeply. “God. It’s driving me crazy. We have to have a show by the end of spring to have a chance to earn some revenue.” She grabs her head with a groan - a very Bomi-like show of frustration.

 

“Well, we still have three months.” Eunji offers, trying to alleviate her frustration even for a bit.

 

“We only have three months. Script, rehearsals, costumes…” The pressure seems to be getting to Bomi and Eunji rubs circles on her back.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll scout for some too if I get a chance.” Though in the back of her head, Eunji dreads the fact that she probably didn’t sound too reliable with her measly connections. Well, she’ll try. “Loosen up, Bbom. You’re gonna get gray hair at twenty-five like this.”

 

“Life was better when we were just thirteen.” Bomi’s voice is muffled behind her palms.

 

Eunji sighs. “Amen to that.”

 

-

 

Hearing the door of the faculty office slide open, Eunji looks up from her laptop to see Professor Park walking into the room in an unusual getup - a red Cheongju University tracksuit with her name Park Chorong, sewn on the front. Without her classy blouse and pencil skirt, she looks so… small and c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter