Chapter 1 - Y: Year 1

Pink Muhly Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yesung wasn’t that different from the other students in his year as they entered the Great Hall. Despite having an idea of what it would look like because he had pestered his parents with as many questions as he could when he was younger, nothing beats the feeling of entering Hogwarts and seeing everything with his own eyes. He was so occupied with looking at the image of the night sky on the ceiling with the floating candles that he almost didn’t hear his name being called for the sorting.

“Oh, sorry.” He muttered as he hurriedly ran up to where the Sorting Hat was waiting. Yesung took a seat and almost gasped at the weight of the hat on his head.

“Interesting,” it muttered. Yesung wasn’t sure if the hat was just speaking in his head or if everyone was also hearing the same words he was. “You have the traits of a Gryffindor, like your father. But you’re much like your mother, aren’t you? Well then…”

“SLYTHERIN!”

Yesung stood up excitedly from the chair and ran to the table that had cheered for him. His mother would be so proud to know he ended up in the same house as her, which would probably be another point she would use to husband. 

“I knew it.” The dark-haired kid next to him nudged him with a knowing smile. “You were obviously going to end up a Slytherin.”

Yesung looked at him for a while, trying to place a name on this familiar face. “You’re Heechul, right? We met before at some gathering that my parents went to.”

The boy grinned back. “Of course, you remember me. I make a lasting impression on anyone.”

“You took a big tray from the kitchens and slid down the stairs in the middle of the hosts’ speech.” Yesung shrugged. “I don’t think that’s easy to forget.”

“Exactly.” Heechul laughed, which made Yesung laugh as well. Somehow, it felt like he just made a friend, and a very, very troublesome one too. “My parents weren’t that happy with it. They were the hosts, after all.”

The two continued chattering as the rest of the sorting continued and the dinner was finally served, finding some common ground on the fact that their parents were acquainted with each other, therefore, they had some events that they both unknowingly attended together. “Oh, I remember that day!” Yesung said when Heechul talked about a particular dinner party. “I was so confused everyone was leaving early, but I never found out why.”

“Someone spiked the drinks and no one noticed.” Heechul whispered to him. “I mean, obviously there was already alcohol involved for the adults, but someone added more.”

Yesung narrowed his eyes. “And how do you know that?” Heechul took on an innocent expression and shrugged in response, but some parts of his hair started turning light green. “Woah, is that normal?”

“What is?” Heechul asked before quickly combing his hair with his fingers so he could spot the traces of colored hair. “Ugh, how am I supposed to keep secrets with this?” He shook his head quickly and willed it back to the normal dark brown hair. “Well, at least it wasn’t all of my hair this time.”

“Yeah,” Yesung agreed, still looking at the section of the hair that had changed color. “ So, you’re a metamorphmagus, then?”

“Yup.” Heechul sighed. “I mean, it’s fun and I’ve gotten better at controlling it because my mom taught me, but it’s still frustrating sometimes. And before you ask, yes, I can change how my face looks, but I don’t like doing it because I’m pretty enough. I’ll stick to just messing with my hair and the color of my eyes.”

Yesung nodded and almost chuckled at the slight bragging of his newfound friend. “Okay then.”

“Alright, first years!” An older student called to their table and gathered everyone’s attention. “Come on, time to show you to the common rooms.”

They all quickly stood up, including Heechul and Yesung. “Do you think we could ask to be in the same dorm if we aren’t already?” Yesung asked Heechul as they followed the line.

The other boy shrugged. “I don’t know. But you seem like you’re very interesting company so far, so I’m going to do what I can to put us in the same dormitory.” He said with determination, hints of dark green showing up on the tips of his hair.

“Hmm, not sure about how interesting I could be,” Yesung answered back offhandedly. “I usually just sit quietly and read. Even I find that boring sometimes.”

Heechul hummed and linked their arms together. “Then you just stick with me to have a more interesting life. How about that?”

And that’s how his first year started - with a friend (who did end up to be his dormmate) that would drag him anywhere that he could.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter