1/1

Knight and Shining Cub-Bearer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The luminous night at the King’s palace was filled with distinct chatters and mumbles from the royalties that entered the kingdom. Chariots by chariots filled the palace’s gardens as various kings, queens, princes and princesses entered the palace with their sparkling gowns and leather vests. Royal guards bow down 90 degrees for every sovereign that enters the kingdom with their crowned heads.

 

Smiles plastered on their faces, they scatter around the ballroom that was filled with tables named after the different guests and royalties who sat on their designated place, fancied by the golden silverware and beautiful crystal-glass made wine glasses. A party is not a party without a glass of wine after all. (At least thats what the kings and queens thought) 

 

But of course, they weren’t here for some glass of wine, they were here to celebrate the prince’s birthday— who would turn into an adult on this very day and would have the legal age to inherit the king’s crown. 

 

Every single one of the royalties were pleased by the prince’s coming of age that when they received the invitation about a birthday celebration, not one kingdom from the entirety of this sphere-shaped world hesitated to come. Certain kings from different regions had daughters to present to the prince after all. 

 

Speaking of the prince, where is he anyway? The celebration will start in not less than an hour so he must be roaming around the ballroom by this time and greet the royalties his family were friends with. 

 

But because Lee Hyukjae told his father not to make a fuss about his coming-of-age which the King straight-off declined, he is currently in his room, slightly pissed off that a lot of royal guests were entering the palace and expecting him down there at the ballroom.

 

All his life, he knew that he would be the next person to sit on the throne. He's an only child anyway so who else would inherit the crown? But he just doesn’t see what’s so special about it. In his perspective, nothing is special about wearing a crown and carrying all the weight of the whole country on your shoulders. 

 

Sometimes he just wished he was born differently— he’s tired of how locked up he is in this five-story building and he’s tired of being served and forced to do things he never wanted to. 

 

And all of those are probably the reason why his heart was struck by an ordinary person he’s so whipped and captivated for. 

 

“Are you nervous?” The said man who captivated his heart three years ago spoke. “People are already expecting you downstairs” 

 

Hyukjae eyed his lover who sat by him at the corner of his bed. Donghae had those sparks in his eyes that he never fails on getting lost into. “I don’t feel like going down there,” his voice hinted dismay. Although he has this fair skin, sharp jaw, and almond eyes that very much makes it obvious that he’s a charming prince, Hyukjae yearns for something more behind this strong and handsome facade. 

 

“It’s just one night, you’ll get through this” Donghae placed his dry and calloused hand from carrying wine bottles, golden jugs of water, and various types of glasses at Hyukjae’s thigh, encouraging him. 

 

“I will if you promise you’ll stand by my side all night” 

 

“I promise,” Hyukjae thought that anybody who doesn’t know Donghae thoroughly will mistake him as a prince because of the beauty he carries inside and out. “Now I have to go, there’s a lot of guests down there and all of them must be thirsty” Donghae cracks a smile as he stands up. “Gotta do my job or else the king would send me out the palace”

 

Hyukjae stood from the bed as well. He dragged Donghae by the waist and placed an earnest kiss on the man’s thin lips. Donghae gleefully chuckled before breaking out of the hold. He was about to reach the door when he stopped to look back at his lover. “I’ve said this a dozen times today but I’ll say it again,” Hyukjae gazes at him with expectant eyes. “Happy Birthday” he whispers with a small smile before disappearing in Hyukjae’s eyes.

 

Walking down the hallways of the palace, Donghae felt a bit heavy on the inside. All men would feel the same way after looking at their lover and see despair in their eyes. This is why Donghae keeps telling himself to do better and make Hyukjae the happiest prince in the whole world even if he knows his lover is exhausted from the way he’s living his life.

 

All the royalties out there are happy for him to inherit the king’s crown, but the prince himself is full of misery and dejection for living this fancy life he never asked for. All the royalties out there may be happy, but Donghae’s one wish is for them to truly understand how Hyukjae truly feels.

 

Donghae is wrong. Not all royalties out there are happy that Hyukjae would inherit the crown.

 

And he only discovers that after passing by the wine cellar where he saw the king’s brother along with a cup-bearer talking in a seemingly intense discussion. His gut told him to hide and he did. He stayed behind the cobblestone wall just beside the open doors of the cellar. 

 

“Did you understand what I told you to do?” The King’s brother, particularly Hyukjae’s uncle, questioned in his strict voice. “What I’m telling you to do isn’t a joke, no one must know about this” 

 

‘no one must know about this’ Donghae repeated in his head. It sounded wrong as if Hyukjae’s uncle was hiding something. Or more likely, planning on doing something that sounds horrid in Donghae’s head. Maybe he’s just exaggerating it but he has to know more.

 

He wasn’t intending on eavesdropping. A mere palace cup-bearer like him should have nothing to do against the higher ups. But if Hyukjae’s uncle is on to something truly awful, his position will not be an excuse to do what is right. 

 

“If you understand, repeat everything I asked you to do.” He heard the king’s brother's command.

 

The poor innocent cup-bearer swallowed. “I– this barrel is filled with wine that has poison. I would fill a jug in it and pour it into Hyukjae-ssi's wine glass” Donghae was left gaping at the horrendous plan.

 

This is all absurd, he thought to himself. A plan to kill Hyukjae tonight? A plan to poison the prince? Donghae began to quiver as he hoped that his ears heard it all wrong. But when he heard The king’s brother’s voice again, “Good job. You better not mess this up.” it was confirmed. Hyukjae’s uncle was planning to kill his nephew.

 

But why?

 

 —

 

As the evening in the palace went deeper, Donghae was trembling at the possibilities that could happen. A mere cup-bearer like him must not stand in the way of the royalties or do anything that could ruin the celebration.

 

Various kings and queens were in the palace yet what can he do? He cannot just stand there and do nothing knowing that the love of his life and the prince of this kingdom— the successor to the king's crown— is in grave danger.

 

As he stood by the shadows behind the whole ballroom with a jug of wine in his hand, he saw the King standing from his chair as the spotlight began to focus on him.

 

“Good Evening Everyone!” His righteous voice echoed around the whole room “I would like to express my gratitude towards all of you in here who came from the different corners of the world and ventured for my son— the heir to my throne, Lee Hyukjae” The crowd listened attentively at the King as Hyukjae who sat from his right, spotted his lover beside a round wall, holding a jug of wine in his hand. 

 

Donghae was in a heavy state debating with himself at what he should do. And just by the move of his eye, his eyes met with Hyukjae who was staring at him with his chocolate almond, single-lidded orbs.

 

Was he staring at me the whole time? Donghae cluelessly asked himself.

 

It was just a matter of seconds when Hyukjae gave him a loving smile that melted all the worries in his heart. Hesitantly, he mirrors the smile Hyukjae gives him and quickly destroys the contact by looking away instantly. 

 

Hyukjae remains silent in his seat, not even realizing that his father was already talking about things the royal families didn’t have to hear. “He was just a baby boy when he told me he wanted to learn about sword fighting. Time flies by so fast and look at him now, a grown-up man who’s more than ready to take my crown and serve his country” Aweing eyes from the kings and queens swallows him and all he can do is form a small smile to respond. “Lee Hyukjae will be a great service to all of you, and that is why I would like to offer a toast” The King lifts his wine glass almost above his head.

 

Cup-bearers from the sides, including Donghae, made their way at the cente

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter