love sometimes isn't enough (I need you too)

Surely love is enough?

 

It begins like this.

 

Chorong was the class chairman and Eunji was the class troublemaker, they'd never work. But maybe they did. Chorong had been constantly on Eunji's heels, catching her in the next prank she was going to make.

 

It was kind of scary how Chorong could predict Eunji's movements so easily. How easy it was for her to read her. 

 

"It's almost like you're stalking me." Eunji teased, which had earned her a growl from the chairman. "I'm purely doing my job, Eunji." Chorong retorted, before she walked off - chin held high. 

 

That was the first time Eunji felt the explosion of butterflies in her stomach. 

 

The banter between the both of them continued throughout the course of the school year, occasionally, there would be some moments that left both of them confused.

 

 

 

"I seriously wanna have a word with the person who created math." Eunji mumbled, frustrated at the sight of her empty math worksheet which she had been staring at throughout the course of half an hour. 

 

The library was quiet, a perfect place to study. It was natural for the normally studious person - Chorong - to be there. 

 

What wasn't normal was the fact that Chorong approached Eunji to help her with her math. 

 

"I saw you struggling and I didn't want you to have hair falling out early." Chorong teased, eliciting a chuckle from the raven haired girl. 

 

That was the first time Chorong felt herself blush because of the girl.

 

The 2 had seemingly a push and pull relationship. Some days, there would be nonstop banter and snide remarks thrown at each other. Other days, there would be flirtatious comments, gazes being held longer than necessary. No one could pinpoint if they hated each other, or were dating.

 

Not even them.

 

Eunji had thought through their interactions, leaning into each detail to scrutinize it. Her best friend - Bomi - had stayed all day at her house just to hear her dissect her relationship with Chorong.

 

"Just go and ask her, ."

 

That's what she did.

 

 

 

With a racing heart and sweaty palms, Eunji walked into the library, the agreed location to meet up at. Note in hand, she had taken shaky breaths as she stepped closer to where Chorong was sitting.

 

"Hey." Eunji breathed out, nervously fiddling with the hem of her dress. Chorong eyed the note that was in Eunji's hand with curiosity. "Is that a love note or something?" She teased - although Eunji could hear a taint of jealousy in her words.

 

"Yes, actually." Eunji deadpanned, taking a deep breath. Chorong's eyebrows furrowed together for a split second before a very plastic smile appeared on her face. "Who is it for, then?" Chorong tried to mutter the words lightheartedly but it came out more as a constipated sound.

 

Scoffing, Eunji smirked. "It's for you, ." She mumbled, blushing as she hurriedly stuffed the note into Chorong's hand before booking it out of the library.

 

 

 

Hey so, idk how to do this but I kinda like you. I know we fight and all, but you're really pretty and I love how firm you are. You're so kind and sweet and like I get these mushy feelings when I'm with you. So, maybe, can we go on a date?

 

Text me if we can, you have my number

 

(Hopefully) your future gf,

J. EJ.

 

 

Chorong couldn't hide the face splitting smile that appeared, her giggles were suppressed but she couldn't hide the joy she was feeling. 

 

Soon after, Eunji had received the text.

 

 

Rong <3: you're horrible at letters, can't believe I like you.

 

Rong <3: so, the date?

 

That's where they began.

 

 

 

The 2 were so infatuated with each other, constantly together. Their eyes were always dripping with honey every time they looked at each other. Everyone thought they were perfect.

 

A few years had passed and they were graduating. The pair were still going strong, their love for each other unwavering. Nothing could bring them down, love was all they needed.

 

 "I dibs bridesmaid at your wedding!" Bomi exclaimed as they chatted about their future plans after university. Eunji chuckled, a light pink colouring her cheeks. What didn't help her situation was her girlfriend approaching her with that lovely smile on her face.

 

Kissing her cheek, Eunji turned a crimson red, causing Bomi to burst out laughing. Chorong smiled, albeit confused but she smiled softly at the girl beside her. "Babe, people are going back now. Do you wanna leave?" Chorong asked gently, Eunji couldn't say no to her so she nodded, smiling like a lovesick puppy as she trailed her girlfriend.

 

Bomi had looked at her with a look of reservation and pursed lips, but Eunji didn't notice. All she could look at was Chorong.

 

They had taken it slow at first, going over for movie nights every once in a while, they tried to take their time. But they loved each other so much that they had decided to see each other almost every day. It wasn't a problem for neither, they loved to see each other.

 

"Hey, I got that job." Eunji said, smiling as Chorong congratulated her with a kiss and a hug. "I knew you could do it.

 

"I'll be busy from now on, I'll make time for you though."

 

 

A few years after, Eunji and Chorong decided to move in together. They wanted to settle down for the rest of their lives together. They wanted to get married.

 

Chorong had been such a nice girlfriend to Eunji, she couldn't have asked for more. She wanted to give back in every way possible, whatever Chorong wanted, she would get. No questions asked.

 

"Baby, can we watch a movie tonight?" Chorong asked with her usual light tone. Eunji hesitated, hands clutching onto her briefcase. She had already informed Chorong that she had a work meeting with a high investor. "Rong, I told you I had a work meeting. Maybe later?" Eunji says, her sweet smile complimenting her honey voice.

 

"You don't make time for me anymore! It's work this, work that!" Chorong yelled, eyes narrowing as she marched past Eunji and into their room, slamming the door shut. Eunji winced as she didn't know if she should chase after the girl or if she should leave for her meeting.

 

She chose the meeting.

 

The meeting went well, the exhausted Eunji couldn't help but smile to herself. She had brought in 2 of their now biggest investors. Now, she had another problem to fix. Her angry girlfriend. 

 

Flowers in hand, she opened the door. Walking her way to their shared room, she carefully opened the door. A small smile appeared on her lips as she placed the bouquet of roses beside the sleeping beauty, a letter beside it too.

 

Eunji would be nowhere to be found in the morning, leaving Chorong to her thoughts as she read the note.

 

Hi darling, I'm sorry I haven't made time for you. I've been busy with work. I'll make time for you, promise. Buy whatever you want in the meantime, I love you and I'm sorry.

 

Yours forever,

Meung <3

 

Chorong smiled sadly. Her girlfriend always knew letters were the way to win her over. She sighed as she stored the letter in her desk with the other letters she's received from the girl. Most with the same promise she has yet to fulfill.

 

But it's okay, Chorong loves her. She would be patient.

 

 

 

Eunji continued to work. Spending more time there than with the love of her life. Chorong had tried to be understanding, with all the gifts that were showered upon her courtesy of her girlfriend - she shouldn't be one to complain.

 

But all she wanted right now, while she lay sick in her bed, was for Eunji to feed her, take care of her. Not her best friend taking care of her.

 

"Bomi. Thank you, that's enough." Chorong mumbled, gesturing for the girl to leave. Bomi sighed, nodding her head. "I know you want your girlfriend here, I'm sorry." She muttered before exiting the house.

 

It was fine.

 

Because the next day, there was a heart shaped box filled with chocolates and a letter.

 

Hey gorgeous, I'm sorry I couldn't take care of you. I hope Bomi did a good job. I'll make more time for you so next time I can take care of you. I promise. Get whatever you want for today, my treat for you, love. I love you very much, I hope you know that.

 

Yours forever,

Meung

 

Chorong sighed, taking one chocolate and popping it in . Since when did Chocolate taste so bitter?

 

Chorong stuffed the note in her ever growing pile of Eunji-style apologies and promises that were never fulfilled. Chorong deflated as she lay on the bed, she could have anything. But she couldn't have her girlfriend come home when she's sick.

 

It's fine though, Chorong still loved Eunji.

 

 

 

A few weeks later, Eunji finally was a little free. She agreed to take Chorong out on a date, much to the girl's delight. 

 

So here they were, sitting at a particularly fancy restaurant Eunji asked Bomi to book for them. Caressing the velvet texture of the box she had in her pocket, she smiled lovingly at Chorong as the girl dug into her food.

 

Reaching out, Eunji wiped the sauce off of Chorong's mouth, causing her to flinch away. A frown replaced the smile on Eunji's face. "Sorry, it's just. We haven't been out in so long and I'm just not used to this." Chorong muttered, a sorry look on her face - where there should've been anger. 

 

Eunji's heart felt like it was being crushed, she knew she shouldn't have stayed late all those nights. But she just needed to make sure she was getting enough for Chorong and her to live comfortably in the future.

 

"I'm sorry, Rong" Eunji muttered, a sad smile on her face. "I'll do better, I promise." She said, but all Chorong offered her was a wobbly smile. "That's what you always say in your letters." Chorong muttered, and Eunji felt her heart crack.

 

Just then, the sound of Eunji's ringtone resonated through the air. Immediately, the girl switched on her phone to figure out who was calling.

 

Boss.

 

Eunji hesitated, but she picked up the call.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Now?

 

"Oh."

 

"No. Okay."

 

"Okay, Ill be there."

 

Eunji looked up at Chorong, she looked at the tears that pricked Chorong's eyes. 

 

"Baby-" She was cut off by a loud "No!"

 

"No. Don't 'baby' me! Eunji, have you ever thought of whatever you've written in those letters? " Chorong angrily said, pointing an accusing finger at Eunji.

 

"Hey! I give you what you want! You want new shoes, a house a ing car, Chorong have it! I don't know what you want!" Eunji argued back, getting up from her chair to walk to Chorong.

 

Chorong slammed her hand on the table, approaching Eunji with a fierce determination and anger in her eyes. "Eunji, I wanted you." Chorong's voice cracked, hands shaking as she reached out but pulled back. Tears running down her face.

 

"You have me."

 

"Do I? Because, Eunji, I feel like I don't. I lost you to work." Chorong said, laughing humorlessly. Eunji stayed silent, hand reaching into her pocket.

 

"Eunji...I don't think you understand." Chorong mumbled through sobs. "I don't think you ever will." Chorong muttered, walking out. 

 

Eunji had never felt that feeling ever.

 

The feeling of standing rooted to your spot as you watch a piece of you leave.

 

The feeling of being so close to asking the question.

 

The feeling of knowingness.

 

Knowing this was her fault.

 

But truly, whose fault was it.

 

Eunji decided to leave one last letter.

 

 

From: Meung <3: 

 

Chorong, I figured you wouldn't want a physical copy of this. But, I want you to know you never lost me. I lost you. I never tried to stop my work for you. I left you at home. I never tried to do all those things I promised. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I wasn't enough for you.

 

I will love you, forever. 

 

Forever yours,

J. EJ 

 

Chorong sobbed, her already tear stained cheeks feeling the salty water run down her face as she read the message.

 

From: Rong <3:

 

I guess we'd never work.

 

 

 

It ends like this