fin.

hoarfrost
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

"C'mon Eunbi!"

 

Chaeyeon enthusiastically runs out the door, looking around like a child experiencing winter for the first time.

 

Everything is covered in a thick layer of snow, the nearby lake now frozen, and a couple of icicles hang from the roofs in the neighborhood. The late afternoon sun was shining, bouncing off the snow, making it sparkle. It was quite a sight for anyone who had never experienced anything like it before, but for Eunbi, it was just another Saturday, just colder.

 

Eunbi adjusts her scarf as she looks at Chaeyeon— donning a scarf of her own, a thick padded jacket, boots, a smile that would put even the sun to shame, and a little twinkle in her eye to top it all off. Eunbi smiles affectionately. She was never too fond of the cold season, too many layers of clothing, walking around the slippery streets, making going outside incredibly inconvenient, and just the overall temperature, it was bound to get her sick. To be completely honest, she would rather stay inside the entire day than go outside, but when a very soft looking Chaeyeon beckons her, who was she to say no?

 

Eunbi takes a step outside and is immediately hit with a chilly gust of wind, it’s almost enough to get her to run back to the comforts of her bed and the fireplace, but she stuffs her hands into her pockets and moves toward Chaeyeon anyways, who had her back turned, looking around to admire what the winter had done to their street. 

 

Eunbi grins at the opportunity, she squats down to get a handful of snow.

 

"Eunbi—"

 

Chaeyeon starts, but the back of her head was hit with something cold, stopping her mid-sentence. Eunbi laughs behind her. 

 

Chaeyeon falls to her knees, and acts as if she’s struggling to breathe.

 

"Oh no," she clutches her chest dramatically, "I have been hit." She makes a few more theatrical gestures before flopping to the ground with her tongue out.

 

"Pfft—" Eunbi walks to her, and reaches her hand out for Chaeyeon to grab, "You're such a drama queen." Eunbi mutters as she helps Chaeyeon to her feet, dusting the snow off her padded jacket. 

 

"Yeah, but you love me for it," Chaeyeon says casually, which makes heat rise to Eunbi's face, wasn't it freezing cold literally seconds ago? You would think that being together for nearly two years would get her used to all the cheesy things her lover says, but nope, she still blushes at the little sweet things Chaeyeon says and does. Like cooking them breakfast every morning, or bringing Eunbi flowers and preparing dinner when she's having a particularly bad day. Makes her wonder whatever she did in her past life that granted her this angel of a woman. 

 

Chaeyeon chuckles at her flushed face, which snaps Eunbi out of her daze, and before she knew it, she was already being dragged towards the frozen lake. 

 

"Skate with me, my love."

 

Chaeyeon takes both of Eunbi's hands as they step on the ice, the term of endearment lingering in Eunbi's ears. They both wobble as they try to keep their balance, Eunbi grabs onto Chaeyeon for dear life.

 

"Chaeyeon, I don't know how to skate," Eunbi says in between laughs. 

 

"Neither do I!"

 

Chaeyeon would ice skate with her family when she was younger, she would tell Eunbi, but that was long ago, she had already forgotten what it even felt like to stand on ice. 

 

"Why are we doing this?"

 

"It's fun! Don't worry, just hold onto me."

 

"You just said you don't skate!"

 

"Don't worry, I'll break your fall if you ever slip," Chaeyeon says with a determined look on her face, somehow, that wasn't really comforting, but Eunbi goes along with it. 

 

They fumble around for a bit but eventually get the hang of it. Skating around, while occasionally misstepping which causes them to hold onto each other tighter. "Aren't we just romantic, skating around holding onto each other," Chaeyeon teases, Eunbi huffs out a laugh and slaps her arm.

 

Their eyes meet and Chaeyeon looks at Eunbi like she single-handedly put up all the stars in the sky. Chaeyeon pulls her in for a giant bear hug. 

 

“I think I’m in love with you.”

 

“Chae, we’ve been dating for almost 2 years.”

 

“I love you.”

 

“I love you too, dear.”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter