Fin.

Strawberry Pies

Groaning to herself, Yeseo could only watch as the last bus went off, the dying sputter mocking her for not watching the clock close enough.

 

It was just an hour till her curfew begins and she didn't want to waste another week cooped up in the house over a minute of being late.

 

And, all just because of the stupid seven minutes in heaven that she played with a certain someone. The feelings before they entered the stuffy wardrobe were mutual.

 

But her friends beg to differ at how this game was crucial in getting the players to confess.

 

To be honest, Yeseo wasn't even sure if the other even liked her back the same way that she did. But enough of this nonsense, especially when she had no means of going home. Sure she could take a cab back home but midnight surcharges were waving it's greedy hands at her and walking wasn't really a great option for someone who has lost her wallet to a thief. Twice.

 

There was calling her friends to have their parents drive her back home but she didn't want to trouble people. More importantly, she didn't want to recap the stupid seven minutes of heaven with them.

 

Ultimately leaving her with her last option. For most people, it would be their most dreaded option. Well, you could say the same for Yeseo except that her feelings are blinded by the fact that it loves that dreaded option.

 

Weighing the impending fear of not reaching home on time to choosing the last option, she had no choice. Besides, being cooped up at home meant that she had less time to see her heaven. But that's not the main point, she didn't want to miss her last chance of getting that famous strawberry pie being sold down at the local bakery. Especially when she agreed to get it with that certain someone.

 

With not much reasoning left for her to dwell upon, Yeseo pulled her phone out of the hidden pockets of her denim jacket. Someone bought a better one, especially one with hidden pockets after her mishap with thieves. Of course, after receiving the gift, it ended with a rash goodbye and a straight run to the wall. Eventually causing her to meet heaven for a couple of minutes.

 

It didn't take long for the other end of the call to pick up with a grouchy voice at the other end.

 

"What the fudge do you want now?"

 

Twiddling with her fingers nervously, Yeseo bunched up her nerves, "Hi, it's me, Yeseo."

 

"Oh?"

 

The tone took a softer note after Yeseo said her own name to which she tried to ignore the cracking dam of feelings, though it came in the form of a light blush spreading over her cheeks.

 

She could hear a distant clearing of a throat on the other end but she had to brush it aside. Time was ticking and a week cooped up wasn't exactly nice to think about.

 

"I'm sorry to bother you, Youngeunie, but…" Without waiting for Yeseo to finish her sentence, the other end finished it for her.

 

"You need a ride back home. Is that right?"

 

Knowing that even if she chose to turn back on that offer, the faint clatter of something heavy in the background didn't leave her much of an option. Quite in fact, none at all.

 

"Yeah. Sorry for making you bring me back home. Especially at this hour." Rubbing her nape out habit, Yeseo tried to make up a quick apology.

 

"Not a problem for me. Besides that's what friends are for, right?"

 

Grimacing to herself, Yeseo could only let out a quiet 'yes' before the call ended abruptly.

 

'That’s what friends are for, right?"

 

That same stupid sentence. 5 words and 1 contraction.

 

And, 5 reasons of why she was stupidly in love in a bumbling oblivious fool and 1 sentence enough for her to feel like her chances of being able to let out these feelings to that fool diminish.

 

The first being Youngeun flashing her signature smile, her upper teeth flashing itself was the first stage.

 

The second stage was Youngeun flashing a brief gummy smile before engulfing Yeseo in a tightly wrapped hug for roughly three seconds.

 

In those three seconds, the same girl would utter four words. It really depends on the situation but most of the time it starts with 'I got it' or a rather exhausted one if she spent all her effort on it.

 

And of course, it always ended with five letters.

 

"Did you wait, Yeseo?"

 

And there it was, her five reasons staring back at her with a foolish grin plastered on her face. Looking past the sweat covered face, Yeseo knew she had to face the realities of the very first question she asked herself when she caught these feelings.

 

"Friends don't make you catch these feelings, do they?"

 

"Hurry up, I don't want to see your face in a window for the next week to come." Youngeun whined loudly before patting on the seat behind her bicycle.

 

She noticed a few subtle changes such as the new padded seat behind instead of the bunch of steel frames nearly buckling when she last saw them. Of course, Youngeun added more lights to the front and a little basket in the front so that it could fit both their bags instead of Yeseo struggling to hold onto her driver all while balancing the bags. But what struck her the most was the fact that these were the suggestions that she said just about a week ago.

 

Well, surely friends wouldn't act on so quickly, right?

 

Flashing a grateful smile, Yeseo rushed forward, receiving the better helmet from Youngeun. Of course, it wouldn't be complete without these words and a little knock on the passenger's helmet.

 

"Hold on tight, Yeseo."

 

All it took was three seconds for Yeseo to take a slight whiff of the other girl's scent and turn into the shade of the only strawberry on the strawberry pie she was strangely craving for. It was the comforting scent of the fresh dew after an early morning shower that nearly lulled her into sleep till Youngeun's hand gently nudged her shoulders.

 

In her sleepy state, Yeseo could barely make out the sound of Youngeun giggling as she bumbled over her words like she usually does.

 

"You must have drooled on me, considering it took me a while to wake you up."

 

With an annoyed expression that wouldn't be able to fool Youngeun, Yeseo retorted, "You shouldn't have wake me up. Besides, it was a dream without you."

 

Liar, it was a dream of having a date down at the park sharing a slice of strawberry pie, all with you.

 

Feigning a surprised look, Youngeun bickered back, "Well, could you explain why you wee saying my name repeatedly? I almost thought someone was haunting my ears."

 

"What. The. Fudge." Was all Yeseo could comprehend in her mind. couldn't hold her foolish thoughts and out it went like the breeze of the night.

 

Of course her thoughts was interrupted with the sounds of Youngeun struggling to suppress her bout of giggles.

 

"Did you really think you said my name?"

 

Of course, this met with rain of punches landing itself softly on Youngeun.

 

"So what if I said your name, Youngeunie? I probably said it because I wanted to smash your face in the strawberry pie."

 

Following that was another round of punches for the poor sod who was on the receiving end.

 

But it wasn't long till their fight gave up eventually for Yeseo had to go back home and Youngeun still had to go back home on her bicycle.

 

With Yeseo's heart wishing dearly for her to confess right now and then. Her brain refused, fearing that she might not get what she wanted.

 

With that, filled goodbyes were exchanged only for a certain someone to say 'fudge it' under her breath.

 

"Yeseo, wait for me."

 

Without a moment's hesitation, the younger girl turned around only to be engulfed in a hug. A three second hug to be exact.

 

There was a flash of a gummy smile before it dropped down into a nervous one.

 

"You bring a lot of joy to me, you know?"

 

A confused stare was all that sentence earned prompting Youngeun to move on, her lips nervously for the second time as she looked down at the helmet in her hand.

 

"I mean, that's what friends are for, right?"

 

Of course, this phrase stumped Yeseo but with a nod and a slight squeeze to Youngeun's hands, this gave the older girl a little more courage to push out her last thoughts.

 

"And I was thinking, well, partners bring a lot of joy to each other too."

 

There was a slight pause and another link of her lips before Youngeun continued, her voice dropping a little lower than before.

 

"So I was wondering we could share a strawberry pie, next week. Not as friends. But as girlfriends."

 

Swallowing the last bit of her nervous self, Youngeun completed her last sentence.

 

"Girlfriends who bring joy to each other."

 

It felt like the seven minutes of heaven that she shared with Youngeun except this time round, it was real and not forced. And most importantly, she found herself wanting to share more strawberry pies. The ones with the flaky crusts that they could brush off each other and the only strawberry that they would find themselves bickering over on a park bench.

 

With only one sentence left to end this chapter, Yeseo returned that same foolish grin that everyone is wearing.

 

"Let's share a strawberry pie as girlfriends."

 


Hello, to new readers and familiar ones, this is probably one of my shortest ones but it's a little something that I wrote before heading off to exams and to get back to writing after nearly two months of school. So enjoy and let me know your comments or feel free to leave an upvote. With that, Jdchrt out~