- 1 -

Feelin' Blue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a peaceful and normally chill day, to start. Donghae was merely resting and busying himself drinking coffee and scrolling through social media in his apartment when he got a call. Sighing, he pressed the answer button and closed his eyes as he places the phone by his ear.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Lee Donghae, is it true? You already recorded your solo songs for our 10th anniversary album?”

 

Oh, it’s about that. “Yes, Hyuk. You were filming for something that time so I didn’t bother telling you. You were busy already.”

 

He hears a groan at the other end of the line. “You are so unfair, you did not even let me listen your other song! You only let me listen to California Love. Which you will do with Jeno, even if I told you I like it for us.” Hyukjae whines at the topic.

 

Donghae can practically imagine the pout forming on Hyukjae’s lips as he says this. He lets out a chuckle and shakes his head lightly. What a whining baby.

 

“Stop pouting Hyukie, I can practically sense you doing it. Where are you now?”

 

“I’m at the dorm right now. Resting for a bit before I go to the studio and record my own songs.”

 

Humming in understanding, Donghae continues to sip his coffee before he began to stand and pack some of his stuff.

 

“Okay, I’ll be there in a few.” He says, grabbing his car keys, placing a beanie on his head, wearing a face mask, and heading for the door.

 

Hyukjae mutters on the phone in response. “I didn’t tell you to go here though?”

 

Donghae was already closing his door and listening to the sound indicating it’s already locked when he replies with a laugh. “Oh Hyukjae, I know you meant to tell me that. I just went ahead before you say it. I’ll be there soon, wait for me okay?”

 

“Okay, drive safely Hae.” Hyukjae answers softly and ends the call. With quick feet, Donghae rides the elevator and head to the car park, and drive towards the Super Junior dorm.

----

 

“What took you so long? Was the traffic bad?”

Donghae removes his shoes by the door and approaches a grinning Hyukjae with a cup of warm vanilla latte from their café. Upon seeing it, Hyukjae lets out a gummy smile towards him.

“I guess a certain someone will need some warm latte before recording today. That’s why I’m late.” Donghae teases but gives it to the other. Hyukjae takes an appreciative sip and nods while his lips after.

 

“Donghwa hyung makes good coffee indeed. Thanks, Donghae, pretty sure I would need the caffeine when I record later.” He grins. Donghae pats his back and settles comfortably on the sofa. Hyukjae follows suit and sits beside him, with the papers of lyrics for Hyukjae’s solo songs on the table in front of them.

 

A few weeks ago, Hyukjae was able to get the demo version of his solo songs after finalizing with his lyrics and melody. It was certainly beautiful and unique, perfectly fitting of Hyukjae’s vocals that do not usually get to shine when they do Super Junior songs. This time, the world gets to listen to more of Hyukjae’s voice and his capability as a vocalist.

 

Donghae has nothing but admiration and awe when he listens to Hyukjae practice a few times for ‘be’ and ‘Red Muhly’. The other was busy looking at the lyrics paper, focusing on memorizing the melody, and playing the demo song on his phone. He was focused and busy preparing for his recording later that he did not notice Donghae already has a smile on his face while watching him.

 

It was only when Donghae spoke again that Hyukjae faces him again.

“You’re really a nightingale. Your voice fits the song so well.” Donghae complimented and held Hyukjae’s hand, caressing it with soft touches that tingles the skin of the other, who was biting his lips to fight off the grin on his face.

 

“You’re being too cheesy, Mr. Songwriter and Composer. I bet you have a few things you’d critique but no, I would not listen to you because this isn’t your song.” He sticks out his tongue just to be petty and Donghae rolls his eyes at that.

 

“I’m not, I’m just saying the truth.” He says nonchalantly, scrolling on his phone again. “Go on, study the song a bit more before we head to the studio. I’m driving for you.”

 

Hyukjae busies himself again with his song, trying to ignore the sometimes too long stares of Donghae at him at the side. He doesn’t have time to get distracted and play around with Donghae. Not now when he is going to record his solo song. Something he has not done in years. Of course, he’s a bit nervous. It’s always him and Donghae when doing songs, or with the rest of Super Junior. But right now, he thinks of the pressure of performing and singing on his own. He should give his best for this.

 

It does not take too long when he checks his phone and thinks it’s time for him to head over the recording studio. Together, they head out of the dorms, with Hyukjae biting his lips in nervousness and Donghae bringing a bottle of water that the other would need later afterwards.

 

----

Hyukjae insisted on being dropped off first at the recording studio rather than Donghae joining him immediately. He requested Donghae go to McDonald’s and buy them the burger meal that they both love so that they have something to eat when the recording finishes. Without further ado, Hyukjae rushed out of the car and flipped his hand, waving Donghae away to leave the premises. Donghae yells a “good luck!” to him before driving off to get food for the both of them.

 

It's probably the nerves but Hyukjae really thinks he doesn’t want Donghae to observe him the whole time while he records the song. Even if he won’t be directing the process and would just be a mere observer, he kind of feels shy.

 

Heck, he’s about to sing his personal feelings with both songs, especially in Red Muhly where it’s about falling in love and confessing during a sunset. Definitely not something he wants to sing alone with Donghae’s curious eyes and wide smile across him from the window. Not yet.

 

 

Halfway through the recording, Donghae arrives with huge paperbags filled with food from the fastfood chain. He greets everyone with a smile and bumps fists with people he knows and the staff working at the studio.

 

“Donghae! It’s been a week since I saw you. Your songs are really great by the way. You did a great job choosing the people you would do a duet with.” One of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter