part ii

a safe place to land

/

“We need to get this right,” Joohyun states, eyeing the ingredients in front of her.

“Where do you need me?” Wendy asks, looking around the kitchen. To be honest, it seems like the older girl has it all under control. Of course, she does. This is Irene we’re talking about.

“You can start with that,” Joohyun tells her, pointing at the meat that still needs flavoring. The other girl doesn’t even look up, too caught up in checking the list of ingredients on her phone.

They are in the middle of the dorm’s kitchen, preparing for Red Velvet’s first reunion dinner since Irene left the group. The three other members are out on individual schedules but will be back in a few hours for their dinner.

Three months.

It takes Irene three months to gather the courage to meet up with Seulgi, Sooyoung, and Yerim.

In those three months, Seulgi has eased into her role as the group’s new leader. She has learned to embrace the reality that she may never be able to fill the shoes Irene left but maybe she can make her own legacy, too. 

After all, she did learn from her. It is time to put those learnings to work.

Sooyoung is… less angry. She is still angry, still complains from time to time how Irene should’ve just said goodbye properly, how they deserve a better explanation. But Wendy knows Sooyoung just misses the older girl.

She’s always had a hard time expressing her feelings but Sooyoung cares a lot.

Yerim is slowly coming back to herself. After a few weeks of keeping to herself, Yerim slowly learned to navigate her life without the former Red Velvet member. Her cheerfulness started surfacing again, her bright and often mischievous energy started coloring up the room once again.

Life goes on after all. She learned that from Irene.

Wendy, on the other hand, is still… Wendy.

Sometimes, she feels guilty. The three other members felt Irene’s departure like a tidal wave, a surge of water drowning the entire city and flooding everything they recognize about it.

When the water subsides, it’s no longer the same place. It’s no longer the same city. Red Velvet, forever changed.

That’s not the case for Wendy.

Where she lost Irene, she got Joohyun. She got a confession. She got a girlfriend. The love of her life, finally walking at the same pace as her, going in the same direction as her. 

The days of longing glances and flirtatious gestures are over. Today, she has good morning messages. She has good night messages. She gets I miss you and I can’t wait to see you.

Where the three other Red Velvet members saw an ending, Wendy found a beginning.

It’s weird how life works out.

“You don’t have to be nervous. It’s just them,” Wendy states simply, trying to ease her girlfriend’s mind. 

Girlfriend.

She smiles to herself. It never gets old.

After Red Velvet’s Asian tour and after Irene has sorted out everything with her new company, the two decided to date—breakfast, lunch, and dinner dates done in secret. It is their reality for the moment, both believing there is a right place and time to tell their closest friends and family about their relationship.

It is relatively new, after all. Part of Wendy wants to keep her to herself for as long as she could. Of course, she would’ve preferred it without the sneaking out and dating behind the three other members’ back but these are the cards she’s being dealt with.

This is what it takes to finally sit next to the love of her life, have conversations about the future, and just be. 

They’ve spent all their lives being Wendy and Irene. Now, they get to be just Seungwan and Joohyun. It took a storm for it to come to this—and maybe it’s selfish but Wendy wouldn’t change a thing.

“It’s them—you know very well there is reason to be nervous.”

Wendy chuckles as she walks toward the kitchen island and sits on one of the tall chairs just across from Irene. She puts on a pair of clear plastic gloves and a chin guard, then starts the task she was given.

She takes the platter of raw meat and starts mixing it with the bottle of seasoning resting next to it. The kitchen is a mess of ingredients that Irene brought with her—fruits, vegetables, and other food items.

The older girl stands in the middle of it all, hair up in a bun with the scowl on her face so signature to her. She has a plain back top on with a pair of denim pants to complete the look. Wendy’s light blue apron clings to her like it’s always been hers. Something about it just makes sense.

Sometimes, she still has to pinch herself. She got the girl. In what universe does that happen?

Wendy doesn’t realize she’s staring.

“You’re staring,” Irene calls her out, eyeing her curiously with a hand on her hip.

The younger girl shakes her head smilingly, snapping herself out of the trance that is Irene’s presence, “I can’t help it. You’re really beautiful.”

Despite herself, Irene cracks a smile, “Shut up, Seungwan.”

Her confidence is now sky-rocketing, she shrugs playfully, “I’m just saying—whoever’s dating you is the luckiest person on Earth.”

Irene naturally rolls her eyes but she’s smiling, and Wendy basks in absolute pleasure. “Focus on your task,” she tells her with a smile that just brightens up her whole demeanor.

They spend the next few minutes quietly, focused on their task. Wendy keeps at it with the meat while Joohyun starts chopping up some vegetables. 

It is Joohyun who breaks the silence. “Do you think they’re still mad?” she asks, a hint of uncertainty laced in her tone.

“They were never mad,” Wendy replies. “They just didn’t understand.”

Irene looks up at her, “Will they understand?”

“What?”

“If they knew—will they understand?”

“Of course, they will understand. They’re your friends.”

“Hmm,” Irene merely hums and then goes back to work.

Wendy stands up and sets aside the meat she just finished marinating. She rounds the kitchen island, removes her plastic gloves and chin guard, then quickly washes her hands.

After drying out her hands with a kitchen napkin, she walks over next to Joohyun, leaning on the kitchen counter cooly.

“But that’s not the question you want to be answered, is it?”

It renders Irene motionless, her hand stops moving as she looks up at Wendy. Soon as their eyes meet, Seungwan easily sees her questions and doubts. Joohyun cannot utter her real questions out loud. 

But the thing is, sometimes, she doesn’t need to.

“You want to know if they’ll ever forgive you,” she states, filling in the blanks.

Joohyun doesn’t respond. She puts the knife down, giving up the task for the meantime, and mirrors Seungwan’s position as she leans on the kitchen island. She doesn’t say anything, perhaps a dead giveaway that what Seungwan said is right.

“I’m not gonna lie, it hasn’t been easy,” she starts. “There were too many moments that I didn’t think we could make it because Joohyun-unnie wouldn’t have let this happen or Joohyun-unnie would’ve done this instead of that—but what I’ve gathered is they just really miss you. They’re adjusting to this new world without you nagging at them every day.”

Joohyun laughs lightly.

“But they don’t have to be without you,” she adds. “You may not be Irene of Red Velvet anymore but you’re still their Joohyunnie. You can still remind Seulgi not to be too hard on herself. You can still tell Sooyoung that she can freely express her feelings. You can still call out Yerim on her pranks. You can still be Joohyun to all of us and I think that’s what they need.”

The older girl sighs heavily, lips trembling as she tries to suppress her emotions.

Wendy takes Irene’s hand and clasps it with both of hers, “Unnie, they’re your friends. They have tons of spaces in their bodies for forgiveness. You just have to be the one to reach out—not because what you did was a mistake. It’s just that you left, and sometimes, people need to feel that they’re worth coming back to.”

There’s a glint of recognition in Joohyun’s eyes, a moment of realization.

“Plus—you have food,” Wendy tries to lighten up the mood. “When they start to eat, they’ll forget about everything just like that. Chef Bae Joohyun has my full trust.”

Irene chuckles, “You really know how to talk to me.”

“Years of practice,” Wendy winks at her as she lets go of the older girl’s hand and then cups her face with her hands. She stares right into her eyes, “But on top of all of that, you got me, okay? Whatever happens, you got me.”

“I know,” Irene nods. 

“Good because you’re stuck with me. In this terrifying, until-we’re-80-and-sitting-on-a-wheelchair kind of way,” she says it with a laugh but she also keeps it like a promise. 

“I’m counting on it,” Irene states without a hint of doubt.

In a world full of uncertainties, they got each other. Maybe this is the universe where that can be enough.

.

After cooking everything and after setting up the table, both women change into their dinner clothes as they wait for the three other members.

The night is chilly outside but the dorm is warm and it feels familiar for the first time in months. Maybe it’s Irene’s perfume or the sound of her mild singing echoing inside the house—but there’s a warmth that settles quite nicely at the pit of Seungwan’s stomach. 

The dorm finally feels like home again.

Wendy shoots up a quick, silent thanks to whoever’s listening. Sometimes, the universe does side with you. You just really gotta recognize the moments that it does.

Joohyun and Seungwan are by the living room, nursing their first glass of wine and engaged in a mild chatter about Irene’s first drama when the door to the dorm swings open. 

In comes Yerim with a cold, unreadable expression on her face. She has her AirPods on but soon as she sees the two older women, she takes them off and bows slightly to them.

Her eyes land on Joohyun instantly, never taking them off. Seungwan sees her bite her lip as if she’s trying not to say anything. Joohyun, on the other hand, doesn’t move; it’s as if she doesn’t know how to be around the younger girl anymore.

“Are Seulgi-unnie and Sooyoung-unnie here?” Yerim asks, taking her eyes off Joohyun and turns to Seungwan.

Seungwan shakes her head, “No. But they’re both on the way here.”

“Okay—I’ll just—” she gestures toward the general direction of the bedrooms. “I’ll get changed.”

“Take your time,” Seungwan tells her.

“Right,” Yerim mutters.

Their maknae disappears to her room and soon as she’s out of sight, Joohyun turns to Seungwan with terror in her eyes. 

“She didn’t even acknowledge me!”

“What?” Seungwan asks, confused. “She acknowledged you! She looked at you.”

Joohyun places her wine glass on the side table as she stands up from the couch. Then, she starts pacing, “This is a terrible idea.”

“I think that went well.”

“What? Are you kidding me?”

“Hyun, you can’t expect them to greet you cheerfully and launch themselves into a conversation with you right away. You were gone three months and they had to endure months of where is Irene and Is Irene ever coming back questions. Give them time to warm up.”

Joohyun stops pacing, slowly accepting what Seungwan is saying.

“Come on,” she pats the space next to her. “Sit back down and tell me again about the role you got.”

The older girl pouts but follows suit.

A few moments later, the door swings open again. This time, it’s Seulgi who comes in. Red Velvet’s former and current leaders are finally in the same room for the first time in three months. Their eyes meet for the briefest of seconds but after a few moments, it’s their decade-long friendship that prevails.

Seulgi gives Joohyun a tight-lipped smile as she walks over to her. Joohyun then stands and meets the girl in the middle of the room. The two long-time friends hug each other and Seungwan sits there, watching them proudly.

Her best friend and her girlfriend finally make up. Whew.

“Unnie, it’s nice to see you,” Seulgi mutters under her breath, tears easily b at her eyes. They don’t quite fall.

“You too,” Joohyun says, her voice shaking a bit.

“I’ll go get changed and join you after,” Seulgi tells Joohyun, to which the older girl responds with a nod. The dancer turns to Seungwan, “Yerim? Sooyoung?”

“Yerim is her room, Sooyoung is not yet here.”

“How did Yerim take it?”

Seungwan shrugs, “She looked at her.”

Seulgi bobs her head, “Oh—that went well.”

Joohyun gasps dramatically, “Why do you girls keep saying that?”

Seulgi chuckles, “I’ll tell you later.”

“What—”

Seulgi walks off to her room before Joohyun could ask anything else. The actress turns to Seungwan, “Well?”

“Well, what?”

“Why do you keep saying that it went well when she barely acknowledged me?”

“Unnie, we talked about this. She just didn’t take your departure from the group lightly. She’ll warm up later, I promise.”

“You don’t know that.”

“I do, though.”

“How so?”

“Because I’m with them almost every day—and they talk to me. Just trust me, okay?”

Although reluctantly, Joohyun sits back down next to Wendy. She huffs worriedly before grabbing her glass of wine and takes a sip.

There’s just pure silence between them for the next couple of moments. No sound can be heard from Seulgi or Yerim’s room. 

“You worry too much,” Seungwan breaks the silence. 

Joohyun shrugs, “I can’t help it. I haven’t seen them since I left the group and I just want this night to go well.”

“Joohyun look at me.”

The older girl does what she’s being asked of. She turns to Seungwan and meets her eyes. The younger girl holds her gaze, determined to make a point, “You know them, too. Three months of being away from them doesn’t change that.”

Joohyun bites her lip worriedly, “I don’t know what I’m going to say if they ask questions.”

“What question are you particularly worried about?”

“About the real reason I left?”

“And that is?”

Joohyun’s shoulder slack in defeat, “Oh come on, Seungwan. You know this.”

“Say it as if they’re the ones asking.”

“Are you really going to make me say it?”

Seungwan manages a lopsided smile, “Yes.”

“I left because I want to be me and I want to love who I want to love.”

“Oh, love—big word,” she teases.

“Seungwan!” Joohyun whines.

Seungwan laughs, “I’m sorry, jagi. That threw me off a bit—okay, just say it like it is. Nothing is better than the truth.”

“Are you sure? Are they going to accept it?”

“Hyun, they’re going to support you. Of course, they’ll ask why you couldn’t have just explained properly but they’re rooting for you and by association me. They will protect us with their lives. Deep down, you know it, too. I know much of your life has changed but this—” Seungwan gestures on the space between them, “—and them,” she gestures to the whole house, “—it hasn’t changed. We are your home.”

“Seungwan-ah, this is very cheesy.”

Seungwan laughs, “You did this to me.”

They laugh some more at their own antics and Seugnwan notices how the older girl visibly relaxes. She seems calmer now and less frantic which is great because—

The door slides open after a few moments and in comes Sooyoung with a scowl on her face. She doesn’t even flinch or react when she sees Joohyun sitting comfortably next to Seungwan.

“Oh great, that’s today,” she comments dryly before making a move to leave.

“Sooyoung,” Seungwan calls out, her tone laced with warning.

The younger girl stops in her tracks and turns to Seungwan, “What?”

“That’s very disrespectful.”

“You’re not my mother.”

“Sooyoung,” Seungwan utters firmly, the final warning obvious in the way she says her name.

Sooyoung huffs frustratedly before she turns back to Joohyun and acknowledges her with a bow. Joohyun only nods to acknowledge her back, too stunned after witnessing how quickly Seungwan just tamed her. 

“Can I go now?” Sooyoung asks.

“Yes, but come back after you get changed. We’re having dinner together.”

Sooyoung leaves without saying a word. 

Joohyun turns to her, “Did she forget?”

Seungwan shakes her head, “We have been talking all about this dinner in the group chat all day. She just said that to make you feel bad.”

Joohyun nods in understanding, “That’s such a Sooyoung thing to do.”

“See? You know them.”

“We’re not going to tell them yet, right? About us?” Joohyun asks.

“The last time we discussed this you said you’re not ready. I respect that.”

“And you?”

“I’m fine with anything. Of course, I want to tell them. It’s hard to keep it from them when Seulgi steals my phone all the time but I can manage. Besides, we have so much time. This is only just the beginning. There is no rush.”

“You’re being cheesy again.”

“I can’t help who I am,” Wendy smirks playfully. After a few seconds, she asks, “But you will be ready, right?”

“Hmm?”

“We will tell them eventually, right?”

“Of course, Seungwan. I just—this night is about us five. I left and my departure affected the group, I don’t want them to just accept that because you’re dating me.”

“I understand.”

“They deserve to know and I want them to be part of this but I want the timing to be perfect.”

“Okay.”

“Okay.”

.

The next thing Wendy knows, the five of them are sitting by the dinner table, about to have dinner together. All five them for the first time in months. Something about it feels big, but also somehow just so natural at the same time.

It’s awkward at first. None of them really says anything as they move around the table before finally taking a seat. 

Seulgi and Wendy engage in small talk, and Joohyun would chime in from time to time. Yerim keeps to herself but her eyes are glued on Joohyun. It’s as if the older woman will disappear if she lost sight of her.

Sooyoung, well… let’s just say her silence occupies the room in magnitudes that even Wendy didn’t expect.

“Unnie, how have you been?” Seulgi says as they start digging in. 

The dinner table is full of everyone’s favorite dishes. Tteokbokki, hameul pajeon, LA galbi, japchea, gimbap, dubu jorim, and several other side dishes. Wendy honestly doesn't know where those side dishes came from. It’s like Joohyun pulled them out of nowhere as final touches to what’s already a fantastic dinner set. 

“I’ve been all over the place,” she responds with a shy smile. “I have landed a couple of roles that will keep me busy in the next few months.”

Seulgi beams, “That’s great for you, unnie. Are they roles that you like?”

“They’re okay. I don’t hate them. It’s just—I’m not exactly at a place in my career where I have the liberty to choose.”

“I understand,” Seulgi nods. 

They’re quiet for a few seconds after that. They busy themselves with serving themselves portions of food and trying them out for the first time. Wendy realizes they haven’t sat like this in a long time.

The four of them have had dinners after long hours of work but the last three months have been so brutal that a sit-down dinner like this hasn’t been possible. The four of them hit the ground running. 

This is the first time since Irene left that they allowed themselves to slow down and just… be.

“Where are you staying now?” Yerim asks, surprising pretty much everyone at the table.

“I—uh,” Irene stutters, not expecting Yerim to ask any questions at all. At least not this soon. “I’ve leased a service apartment in Cheongdam but I’m moving to my own place next year.”

“Unnie, you finally bought the house you’ve been looking at?” Seulgi asks, excitement now picking up.

Irene nods with a smile, “I did.”

“Can we visit you some time soon?” Yerim asks quietly, looking everywhere but at Irene.

The older woman swallows visibly, tears pooling immediately in her eyes, “Of course, Yerim-ah! I basically raised you. There is no reason you cannot visit my home.”

Yerim just smiles as she turns back to eating her food.

“I heard you got cast in another drama,” Irene remarks, her eyes fixed on Yerim. “Congratulations. I’m looking forward to seeing it.”

Yerim doesn’t respond right away.

She looks at Sooyoung and then at Seulgi, and then finally at Wendy. She seems hesitant, careful not to bare her heart and soul for Irene to see. But Wendy merely nods, encouraging her to trust Irene again.

“I—” she falters for a few seconds but decides to go for it. “I originally auditioned for the second lead but I was so surprised when they called me to say they cast me for the lead role.”

Irene gasps, pleasant surprise drawn on her face, “Wow! That’s wonderful.”

“Unnie, she was so annoying when she got the news. She was going around and telling us all about it. She was so loud!” Seulgi laughs, animatedly telling Irene the story of the day Yeri got the call.

“I was proud of myself!” Yerim banters back, her voice a notch higher.

Irene had to calm them both down as the two launched into their typical banter.

Wendy had to smile, suddenly, everything feels alright again.

Well, almost.

The next few minutes are filled with stories they missed about each other—the Asian tour, the upcoming album, their first stage without Irene. They talk about Irene’s new company, her first drama, and the girl even showed them pictures of her new home that’s being prepped for renovation. 

They talk about the fans. They talk about the immeasurable amount of support she got from the fandom. They talk about how hard the fans cried at their first concert without Irene.

It was hard at first but the four of them minus Joy navigated through the conversation bravely, trudging through uncharted waters in an effort to catch up with each others’ lives.

For a moment there, Wendy believed they’ve gone through the toughest discussions but she knows that’s not true. Sooyoung hasn’t spoken a word and just kept eating quietly despite the conversations happening around her.

It is her who is going to change the tides and just a few moments later, Wendy’s gut feeling checks out.

“Are you happy?” Sooyoung asks out of thin air. Her voice is low and she has an unreadable expression on her face but her eyes are locked on Joohyun. She needs an explanation.

Irene squares her shoulders. It’s as if she’s waiting for this moment. “I am,” she replies with a tight-lipped smile.

“Was it worth it, then? Leaving us like that? Like none of the last few years mattered to you.”

Seulgi is the first one who tries, “Sooyoung—”

“Oh come on, Seulgi-unnie. We cannot pretend everything’s the same and just go back to normal without talking about it.”

“I am happy,” Irene says again, certain. “I know there are probably a thousand ways I could’ve left but I don’t regret it. I’ve given this group everything I’ve got. I’m sorry I hurt you but I cannot forever put others before me. That is not the way I want to live the rest of my life.”

Irene’s voice doesn’t shake when she responded. She was sure of her answer, sure of herself. She is at peace with her decision.

Wendy feels proud of her, proud of the person she has become. She has to fight the urge to kiss her right there and then.

Her words were so firm and sure that it renders Joy speechless. She heard her, loud and clear.

So, she concedes.

“Okay,” Joy nods. She seems calmer now, relieved even. Maybe she was waiting to hear it straight from her.

Everyone at the table recognizes it, too. What it is is a white flag, a surrender. The end of a war.

After a few seconds of deafening silence, Sooyoung rolls her eyes the way she always does, “Are we gonna have dessert or what?”

“Sooyoung, you’re so dramatic,” Yerim quips.

“I almost dragged you back to your room!” Seulgi remarks.

“Why do you all assume I was gonna attack her? I only wanted to ask a question!”

Wendy and Irene only laugh at this but see, this is where it gets really, really, really interesting.

Gesturing in the general direction of the fridge, Irene tells Wendy, “Jagiya, can you get the dessert, please?”

Did she just—

Oh my God.

It takes a full second before Irene realizes what she just said.

hangs open as she slowly turns to the rest of the Red Velvet girls.

Yerim is straight-up shocked. hangs open, eyes wide in sheer surprise. She darts her gaze between Wendy and Irene, realization ever so slowly dawning in on her.

Seulgi is grinning like an idiot. She’s shocked at the revelation but she’s equally just as happy about it. She’s smiling from ear to ear, looking at Irene like she’s about to burst.

Joy, on the other hand, has tears in her eyes. They fall immediately, no warning whatsoever. She’s smiling but she’s also crying, more crying than smiling. Her eyes are locked on Wendy as she waits for a confirmation.

Jagiya?” Yerim breaks the ice, picking her jaw up from the floor.

“Unnie!” Seulgi opens excitedly, like a puppy who’s about to be taken out for a walk.

Yerim asks again, slowly standing up from her seat, “Did you just call her jagiya?”

Seeing the look on their faces, Wendy can’t help but laugh. But it’s Joy’s face that makes her absolutely lose it. The girl is full-on crying now, tears streaming down her face, her shoulders shaking, “Sooyoung, why are you crying—oh no.”

Wendy stands and rounds the table as she walks over to the sobbing girl. She pulls a chair and sits next to her. She hugs her but she wouldn’t move from her seat.

Everything is happening so fast.

Irene is still frozen on her seat, eyes wide in sheer shock.

“Unnie, are you two dating?” Yerim asks, keeping her own excitement at bay. She seems excited. But she doesn’t count her chickens before the eggs hatch.

“Unnie!” Seulgi prods, this time she’s almost yelling. She’s grinning like an idiot.

Wendy wishes she could take a photo of this moment.

Sooyoung hiccups in between sobs, “Please—answer—Yerim’s question.”

Irene panics and meets Wendy’s eyes. It’s as if she’s asking her what to do. They could deny it. They could say they heard her wrong.

This is not the perfect time. This is not the right timing.

But Seulgi is grinning like an idiot. Yerim is about to burst in sheer joy. And Sooyoung is a mess of emotions. 

Wendy recognizes that there is no time more perfect than this.

So, Wendy just nods and smiles at her girlfriend, giving her a look of love she knows the other girl will recognize. They’ve been doing this dance for years.

Irene will get it.

Tell them.

This is a safe place.

Their former leader takes a deep breath before she utters the words. She, too, recognizes it. This is the perfect timing.

“Yes, Wendy and I are dating. We have been seeing each other for the last three months,” she announces.

Seulgi shrieks as she finally bolts off her feet and runs to Irene. She engulfs her in a hug as she says, “You finally told her how you feel!”

Now, it’s Wendy’s turn to be surprised, “Wait, you knew? All along?”

Before Seulgi could respond, Yerim is yelling at Wendy. “That’s why you’re going out a lot and sneaking out a lot! Oh my gosh!” 

It’s obvious that she’s happy about the news. She’s also just as scandalized about the whole sneaking out process.

“Wait! Why has this become about me?” Wendy whines, now confused. 

“Of course, I knew, Seungwan,” Seulgi responds to the question from earlier. “What kind of topics do you think we discussed during the filming and promotions of our unit?”

Yerim walks over to Irene and hugs her. Tight. She buries her face onto the older woman’s chest and there, she starts crying, too. “I’m really happy for you, unnie,” she says, her voice muffled by the tight grip Irene has on her.

“Thank you. I am happy, too.”

Seulgi, of course, starts crying, too. “I don’t know why I’m crying,” she says as she now walks over to Wendy and kisses the top of her head.

Joy, on the other hand, is still crying.

“Sooyoung, why are you crying?”

Seulgi, despite the tears, starts giggling, “She’s now in charge of doing aegyo on TV for the rest of the year.”

“What?” Irene puzzles, still holding Yerim in her arms. Their youngest member is also now giggling.

“We were betting about who Wendy-unnie is dating,” Yerim narrates as she pulls away from Joohyun. “Seulgi-unnie and I think it’s you, Irene-unnie but Sooyoung-unnie—”

“I didn’t think it was possible,” Joy says, crying and laughing. “You two are both very scared of your own feelings. I can’t believe it.”

“So I’m free of aegyo for the rest of the year?” Wendy asks, grinning.

Irene laughs, “They can never bully you into doing it again on TV.”

Sooyoung cries harder, “I’m happy for you both but you could’ve just told us, you know? There was no need to be so dramatic about it, Joohyunnie. You could’ve dated and stayed with us.”

Both Yerim and Seulgi shake their heads. Yerim sniffs, “We talked about this, Sooyoung. It’s just not possible.”

“I’m sorry we hid it from you,” Irene apologizes. “But I left because I needed to get away from this whole idol life. Us dating is a reward of that.”

“We understand, unnie. But next time, just tell us, okay?” Seulgi gives her a warm smile.

“Gosh, I was so angry for nothing,” Sooyoung huffs. She stands up and hugs Wendy, and then walks over to hug Irene.

After they’ve had their moment, the rest of the group walks over to them. Before any of them know it, they’re in a group hug. Red Velvet, all five of them, tearfully and happily hugging each other.

At some point, Wendy and Irene’s eyes meet across the room. 

Wendy notices that Irene seems happy. She has tears in her eyes that don’t quite fall but she’s glowing. It’s like she finally allowed herself to be happy, to be free of all the chains that tied her up to Red Velvet’s Irene.

Now, she gets to be just Joohyun. Former idol. Former leader of Red Velvet. Actress. Seungwan’s girlfriend. Unnie to four other girls. She can be whoever she wants to be. 

She can love the way she’s always wanted to love.

At some point, Yerim suggests they take a photo despite their teary eyes. It’s their smiles that matter after all. Joy follows through with the suggestion to post it on their official Instagram page. 

They all turn to Seulgi for the final decision. She is their leader after all. After an affirming nod from Irene, Seulgi makes the call.

They take a picture as five. They post it on Instagram.

The caption reads:

5-1=0

See, this is the story of how the rest of the Red Velvet girls find out about Joohyun and Seungwan. This is a story about love. But this is also a story about friendship, about forgiveness. About coming home. About having a safe place to land. 

This is a story about her and Joohyun.

That is why this… this is Wendy’s favorite story of all time.

/