final

the girl next door

 

 

Minju 

 

We live in a world where from the day we were born, colors weren’t a thing. Everything was black and white. And for some, it can be a hindrance especially to the things we like to do.  

 

Though there is a catch. Colors do exist. But you have to find your soulmate. 
 

A simple, black mat had “welcome” inscribed to it greeted me as it was placed in front of the dark, modern-like oak door. I punched the code in to unlock followed by the little sounds the buttons produced. I grabbed the big luggage behind me and pulled it towards the now revealed accommodation.  
 

I entered the cozy apartment while the scent of candlewood came through, I smiled with the sudden feeling of warmth that hugged me. I had just moved into a new place, as well as into a new city. After spending some time in Korea, I thought it would be nice to move into a whole different environment. Therefore, I chose Tokyo. 
 
 

I placed the heavy luggage in the living room. I took the time to appreciate how modern and spacious it was. The lengthy couch was facing the wide glass wall that displayed a view of the city. The landlord must’ve opened the curtains so the place wouldn’t look dark.  

 

Choosing Japan was a smart move. The country is diverse in its beauty, enabling many artists to find inspiration. I am Kim Minju, and I am an artist. Ever since I was young, drawing and painting had been the ones that sparked my heart. I would feel the happiest whenever I have a pencil and a canvas. Hours can be spent with only those two objects.  

 

“Oh right, my art supplies! I have to get it back from my car.” I said, remembering what I had forgotten.  

 

I grabbed both of the keys to my apartment and my car as I made my way out the door. I checked the door handle to see if it was locked, which it was. Faintly in the background, music can be heard. It seemed to be hip hop – and it was coming from the room next to mine. I shrugged it off, walking down the empty hallway that looked endless. I noticed that my neighbor’s door was slightly opened, exposing a dark room that only had small led lights lighting it up.  

 

I stopped for a second, trying to peep in the small creek. It seemed like a tall man stood in the middle of the room. His figure towered over a variety of furniture. He was on the phone, but he wasn’t talking. He was about to look back to where my location was, I went away, my cue to leave. I sped-walk towards the elevator, hoping he had not caught on with my presence. Though, that mysterious person gave me an idea of what to draw.  

 

The trip to my car was not far. Luckily, I had found a parking spot that was close to the elevators.  I made sure I had no items left, stuffing everything in the huge cardboard box with my precious supplies in it. However, it was heavier than I expected.  

 

The way back to my apartment was horrible. Since it was early in the morning, many occupated the elevators. It was cramped and tight.  
 

I sighed as I finally reached my floor level. As I got closer, I noticed the music had stopped. Thought the room remained dark and the door was still open. Curiosity got the best of me and I peaked again. There was no figure. Just empty. I was bewildered as to why would the man leave the door open and not be in there. Someone could easily rob him. I tilted my head in confusion,  

 

“What are you doing in front of my door?” A voice suddenly spoke, scaring me midway. I cursed on the inside as I had been caught. I shut my eyes and slowly turned around to face the man.  
 

“I am so sorry. I did not mean to.” I replied, still having my eyes closed. I imagined the guy in flames. Scared of what might he do. Wait… 

 

“You just spoke Korean??” 

 

“Well, I am Korean. Also, you must be the new neighbor. Sorry, I did not mean to scare you, I was just baffled by what I saw.” The person coughed, the tone was higher pitched than a man’s usual voice. “I see you have art supplies with you. Must be an artist.” 
 

This time, I opened my eyes. The person was a lady. A very handsome one to be exact. The moment I laid my eyes on her, colors burst out. They weren’t just black and white anymore. My world became lively and vivacious, making my heart erratically beat.  
 

I noticed the woman had mid-cut hair and a charming dimple smile that can swoon anyone over. “Yujin, by the way.” She reached out her slender hand for a handshake while smirking. I stared at the tall lady, completely forgetting to introduce myself. Yujin coughed again, waiting for a reply. 

 

“Oh! My bad, the name is Minju.” I panicked as I dropped my box, returned the gesture back for a quick second, and pulled away due to embarrassment. She noticed my actions, laughing and shaking her head.  

 

“Well, I suppose I’ll see you quite more often then, neighbor. It was nice meeting you Minju-ssi.” She smiled. I swear my insides just did a whole backflip, 
 

“Yeah, I guess so.”  

 

“You need help with that?” Yujin pointed at the box sitting on the floor.  
 

“No, it’s okay I got it,” I smilingly reassured, declining her offer. 
 

“Hm, okay. Anyways I’ll head back inside now. Well…” She stopped and looked at me as her charming smile turned into a smirk, “See you whenever soulmate.” She quickly bid, rushing to close the door and going back inside. I simply nodded and picked up my box. I walked back to my new apartment, grinning along the way.  

 

As I sat on my couch, a heavy feeling in my stomach surged as my eyes went wide when a sudden realization hit me, 

 

“Wait…” 
 

“She's my soulmate?!”