Afterstorm

Within a heartbeat

It wasn't supposed to rain tonight. The weather forecast this morning said that it was supposed to be a warm sunny day. And now it’s pouring down suddenly with thunders roaring and lightnings flashing.

Chanyeol felt his worry peak when he saw another streak of lightning flash through the sky and he had a sudden impulse to just dump his car in the middle of the traffic jam and run back to their home. He was in a soundproof conference room, in the middle of an important meeting when it started raining and it was already too late the moment he stepped out to send off the investors. He had already tried to call Baekhyun over a dozen times earlier but the latter wasn't answering, probably hiding under the blankets with his earphones on with how he's terrified of thunderstorms.

He checked his watch for the nth time this evening, impatiently tapping the steering wheel as he glared at the line of vehicles in front of him. Minutes ticked away and he couldn't even remember how fast he sped up once he got out of the crowded streets, probably getting more than a couple of tickets for going over the speed limit but he couldn't give a damn about it right now. Baekhyun, his Baekhyun needed him home now.

 

Making his way to the front door from the garage had never felt this far before and Chanyeol almost growled in annoyance when his wet fingers slipped while punching in the passcode to their door. Hastily taking off his shoes, he abandoned his coat right there on the couch as he rushed through the living room , his observant eyes not missing the way the house was lit a little too brightly than usual while making his way down the hallway towards the master bedroom. He immediately pushed the door open, distress surfacing in his eyes as his gaze landed on the trembling lump of sheets on their queen sized bed.

He made his way over with cautious steps, making sure the other could hear him approaching so as to not startle his already scared lover. Chanyeol sat down on the edge of the bed, reaching out to pat over the sheets a couple of times before pulling them off and he was immediately greeted by a cold body throwing itself into his arms. Chanyeol could have been knocked over if he didn't see it coming but he caught the other with a tight embrace, holding Baekhyun tightly as if he would be able to stop the other shivering this way.

"Hey I'm here now,Baek. You're safe. I'm here with you." He muttered softly words by words, nuzzling into the soft silver hair while running a hand up and down the smaller's back.

"I'm here, beloved. I'll protect you."

He whispered in the softest voice he could muster, oh how he wished he could just protect his lover from anything that could cause him distress. He felt Baekhyun slowly relax into his chest after several minutes passed with him whispering assurances and sweet nothings into his ear, his small frame no longer quivering with fear as he slowly lifted his head to look up at the taller. Chanyeol felt as if a hand had squeezed his heart cruelly when he spotted the dried streaks of tear on those pale cheeks, his gaze meeting his husband's accusing blue eyes as he reached up to gently cup the small face before leaning forward to kiss those cold lips with a pout still present on them.

"I apologize for not coming home earlier, my love. I didn't notice it started raining." Chanyeol was awarded with a glare in the middle of his apologies, but he knew Baekhyun wasn't really angry , it's just the smaller's way of directing his attention elsewhere other than the raging storm outside.

" I wasn't that scared at first." Baekhyun's voice rang out so softly that Chanyeol might have missed if he didn't have his beloved close against his chest. He continued hesitantly, "It was just rain..But suddenly… the thunders were so loud and it was as if my ears were ringing, just like that time. Just like when the hunters back then shot me in the chest-"

And he started choking on words and his body shuddered in fear once again as he tried to suppress the horrible memories from centuries ago flashing through his mind. The memories that left them both traumatized for as long as they lived.

Chanyeol gritted his teeth so hard his jaw tensed up as rage flashed in his gaze, he knew exactly what Baekhyun was talking about. This is the reason why he could never take a step away from his lover whenever it rains. He hated the rain, the thunders and the lightning for they always brought back the most unpleasant memories for both of them. How could he forget when that was the time he almost lost the one and only light he had in his life? He remembered that night as vivid as if it happened yesterday. That night the hunters hurt his savior...

Vampires. Vampires are creatures of night and darkness they said. It's ironic because this so-called creature of darkness was the one who saved him from the abyss he'd fallen into in the hands of his fellow humans who used the excuse of “sacrificing for the greater good” and used his special abilities for their selfish desires.

Then, this so-called cruel and cold-blooded vampire showed him kindness for the first time. He remembered the moment Baekhyun walked into the basement he was locked in , extended a hand to pull him out of the darkness he had been trapped in and let him breathe in the fresh spring breeze for the first time in decades. And he thought the silver haired vampire had the prettiest blue eyes that could capture the moonlight and thousands of star in them.

Right at that moment, he decided that he would do anything for Baekhyun even if it meant going against his own race which is full of self-righteous hypocrites. It had already been hundreds of years.

Centuries since the night of Baekhyun getting attacked on the way to find Chanyeol the medicine he needed, that night Chanyeol cried for the first time in his life when the vampire came back to their safehouse with a bloody wound in his chest and a medicine bottle clutched in his hand while there was still a raging storm going on . Everything was a blur because he was in a state constant panic and anxiety, he was so scared of losing the only strand of light he had found after so long , he was so desperate to hold on but there was no one from whom he could ask for help. They were still hiding and he had never seen Baekhyun interact with any other vampires. Or perhaps the other was worried about his safety so he probably forbid others from coming here. For now, he didn’t have the time nor leisure to keep thinking about that. He only remembered what he heard from the hunters before, how vampires could raise their own blood bank with a contract or how they would grow weaker once they lose too much blood after getting injured by the enchanted bullets. And he did the first thing he could think of, cutting his own wrist without a hint of hesitation to feed the vampire who was bleeding away in his living room. He didn't stop even when his head started spinning due to blood loss and his vision turning black. The only thing he remembered before he lost consciousness was piercing blue eyes snapping open as they looked up at him as if they're seeing him for the first time. Although Chanyeol saw the worry and surprise flashing through them, all he felt was a huge wave of happiness and relief filling his chest because at least they looked alive with those emotions swirling in there.

"Chanyeol, Channie what are you thinking about?" The soft spoken question interrupted Chanyeol's trip down the memory lane and he snapped out of his daze, a gentle smile curling on his lips as he brushed his thumb over Baekhyun's soft cheek while gazing down at the other.

"Just thinking of how lucky I am that I managed to make you mine." A hint of smugness and mischief mixed in his voice as he replied in a singsong tone, a chuckle following soon after when he spotted Baekhyun raising a brow.

The vampire rolled his eyes at the grinning giant with feigned annoyance, lifting a hand to poke at the dimples almost blinding his eyes. "You mean I'm the one who made you mine. I put the contract on you after you almost drained all the blood inside you while feeding me that night. What a reckless little fool I've fallen in love with."

Chanyeol just quietly tightened his arms around the smaller with the grin growing wider on his face , even nodding happily without any hint of shyness. "That's right! I'm yours. All yours. You've captured my heart since the moment you looked at me with those pretty eyes. It's only fair that you take responsibility~"

Baekhyun's amused laugh was a far cry from his trembling voice minutes ago and Chanyeol felt the same sense of relief and happiness just like that night. He could do anything to protect this precious one and his beautiful laugh, anything even if he had to go against the whole world.

"Why don't we get comfortable and cuddle if you're done laughing at your husband hm? Don't you want me to keep you warm in this cold weather hm?" And then Baekhyun rolled his eyes for the second time this night because who between the two of them didn't know that vampires have constantly low body temperature and neither the hot nor the cold bothered them. But still he was more than willing to play along and get cuddles from his giant teddy bear.

"That'd be lovely. But only after you've got rid of that uncomfortable suit on you!" Baekhyun's nose scrunched up in annoyance as he grabbed the necktie and gave a light tug, shooting a look at the taller before releasing it.

Chanyeol immediately got the hint and started pulling off his clothes layer by layer, tossing them by the bed carelessly as he stripped down to his underwear before sliding under the sheets beside his lover.

Pulling the still pouting vampire into his arms, he easily let the smaller snuggle into his arms with his head tucked under his chin. Finally heaving a quiet sigh of content when he felt lips pressing upon the silver line of the contract mark on his neck.

"Do you want to..." His question trailed off in the middle as Baekhyun shook his head, bright blue eyes meeting his dark brown gaze the moment he looked down.

"I'm not hungry. I just missed you and your scent..." The quiet reply only managed to make Chanyeol grin like an idiot as he immediately ducked down to start pressing soft butterfly kisses on Baekhyun's face, tightening his embrace around him when the smaller started laughing and squirming in his arms. The delightful sound bounced off the walls of their bedroom, filling Chanyeol's heart with so much warmth and love he even wondered how it was even possible to keep falling in love with someone every day after spending hundreds of years together.

" I missed you too. I really really did. I almost kicked the investors out of the building when they started dragging out the meeting." Chanyeol grumbled while playing with the soft silver locks between his fingers, admiring how they easily slipped off like water.

"Right I wanted to tell you that I'm going to work from home starting tomorrow. The rainy days are coming. I gotta keep my husband company~"

A soft smile curled on Baekhyun's lips while listening to the taller, humming in agreement as he tightened his arms around the strong waist and tangled his legs with the other's just so he could press closer into the only source of warmth he had in his life.

" I bet your assistants hate rainy days at this point. Every year, you're just dumping all your work on them and running back home during times like these ." A chuckle fell from Baekhyun's lips as amusement danced in his blue eyes when he saw his husband's unimpressed face.

"Well not to sound like a total capitalist but I paid them enough. They gotta do their jobs. It's not like I'm overworking them. Anyway, it's no big deal . If the company becomes too much trouble, I'll be happy to give it to whoever wants this burden and just become a shareholder. I'll have even more time for us!" Baekhyun's laughter sounded once again as he playfully pinched the taller's side, a grin forming on his lips when those big brown eyes shot a sulky look at him.

"Look at you talking as if handing over the company was as easy as taking the trash out. Why are you like this Channie~? The board members might cry when they hear you talking like this."

A huff came from Chanyeol's as he rolled his eyes at the thought of those annoying old men always eyeing his position as the CEO. " I'm just bored of playing with them at this point. They think they're so smart and mature with their little tricks when I'm older than their grandfathers and can see what they're thinking even using my toes.So annoying."

Baekhyun barely held in an disgraceful snort, pinching the smug giant once again although the amusement in his eyes didn't lessen. Oh he's so in love with this cocky sly human. "Yes yes my husband is so smart and is a business genius who likes to abandon his projects once they've reached the peak. You're just doing all this to find an escape for that strong competitiveness you have in your bones. I see all that, Mr.Park."

"Ah you surely know me too well, my dear husband. But these things are just for entertainment, I won't ever let them affect me. You'll always be my one and only priority. I only care about you and your happiness." Chanyeol's tone was as sincere as it could be because he meant every word he said and he knew Baekhyun understood him when he felt the smaller holding tighter onto him, he could almost see the love in those blue eyes spilling over.

"I know, my dear husband. And I hope you remember I cherish you and your happiness the same. I love seeing you just the way you are. No matter how much time has passed, you're still that loud and clumsy boy I fell in love with. You've grown and matured with the passage of time but your brightness never dimmed. In fact, you shine brighter and warm me up every passing moment. And ... I'm very grateful for your presence in my long unending life." It was rare for Baekhyun to speak this many words of love in one breath but he wanted to tell Chanyeol this time. Although they've already understood everything about each other, a reminder would also be nice. And of course, it'd be a lie if he didn't admit that he indeed enjoyed seeing his husband's ears turning red with shyness or those brown eyes tearing up with emotions whenever he spoke of such sweet words.

"You're really.... How can you be so amazing and so lovely? You must remember that you're the best thing ever happened to me. Even if I don't believe in Gods and Deities, you're my greatest blessing, Byun Baekhyun."

At this moment, Chanyeol felt overwhelmed by all kinds of emotions caused by the one laying in his arms, his heart feeling so full and warm that he could almost feel all his love spilling over his chest. So he leaned in to capture those awaiting lips in a kiss, pouring out all the tenderness and adoration he had for his lover with his heart completely open for him to read. And if someone asked him what happiness was, he would answer that happiness is this pair of soft yet cold lips dancing against his own, happiness is when he feels the love between them getting stronger with the passing time and happiness is being able to accompany the one he loves without any worry in the world. And he, Park Chanyeol, would give his everything to protect their happiness without a moment of hesitation.