"Coffee"

All For You

Seungwan’s morning starts with a quest. A quest to find her most precious treasure, coffee. You see, without coffee flowing in her veins, she cannot function well. From her head to toe, nothing is functioning well. In short, her whole being is on autopilot. Except for her one last brain cell that keeps on running in her head and shouting, Son Seungwan needs coffee!

So, when the aromatic scent of coffee invades her nose. She follows the smell and ends up in a coffee shop. Finally, coffee! She opens the door, and the smell of freshly brewed coffee welcomes her. A familiar song is playing inside the shop.

Baby baby you’re caramel macchiato

Still, near my lips, your scent is sweet

Baby baby, tonight

Baby baby, you’re more than the scent of caffe latte

Do you remember this feeling, this comfort

Baby, baby, tonight


Seungwan halts on her tracks. A beautiful smiling face of a woman flashed in her head. Memories of them together flood her thoughts. My favorite is caramel macchiato, Seungwan-ah. Remember that. As if the song is not enough to rub salt on her wound, the greeting of the barista makes her wound bleed.


"Welcome to Chapters Coffee. What's your order for today?" The barista greets her with a bright smile on her face, but her expression changes when she sees her customer's face.

"Uhmm," Seungwan reads the menu. It is her way to buy some time so she can call all the saints that hopefully the barista will not recognize her.

"One caffe latte." The barista types her order on the POS machine, then grabs a pen and cup.

“What’s your name?”

“Seungwan,” The barista gasps. A sudden realization hits her.

“One caffe latte for Miss Son Seungwan coming up. I’ll bring your order, Miss Son.” A loud sigh escape from Seungwan’s lips. This is the reason I don’t want to be here.


 

Chapters Coffee is a popular coffee shop owned by SGC (Son Group of Companies). This is the brainchild of Seungwan’s infatuation with her sunbae. Her infatuation leads her to the most memorable day in her life 

 

 

A few years ago, Son Seungwan has a huge crush on her sunbae. Let's call her, Miss Caramel Macchiato. Seungwan and Miss Caramel Macchiato have one thing in common, coffee. Her admiration for her sunbae results in a crazy idea, have her own coffee shop. After all, she is a Son, Son Seungwan.

She begged convinced her parents to venture into the coffee shop business. So, one day, she barges into her father's office wearing a suit and a suitcase in her hand. The suitcase contains her business proposal, a partnership. Her father takes her business proposal seriously. He called everyone. In Son Myun-Dae's vocabulary if he says, everyone. He literally says, everyone.

Myun-Dae sends an invitation to all the employees of Son Group of Companies. He wants this event to be special. So, he reserves their sports arena to accommodate everyone. He calls the event Son Seungwan Day. The day his eldest daughter will show to everyone that she's a Son.

The event puts a lot of pressure on Seungwan. Why does her father make a big deal out of her proposal? She wants a coffee shop for her and her sunbae. You can do this, Seungwan-ah.


 

D-Day- Son Seungwan Day


The sports arena is jam-packed. All the employees from Son Group of Companies attend the event. Myun-Dae even provides a 5-star catering for his employees to savor. At this moment, you can say that the Son family is a chaebol. Everyone is anticipating what Son Seungwan can give.


Son Seungwan is flabbergasted when she sees the crowed. Why did her father take her proposal seriously? Why can't they have a normal meeting like everybody else? Why her father is so extra? WHY?! She wants to run away. Ride a plane and fly to another country. Better yet, hire a spaceship and go to Mars. You can do this Son Seungwan! If Son Myun-date is extra, you are more extra!


 

 

What's the outcome? Seungwan proves to everyone that she is more extra than her father. All employees are in awe of her and her presentation. Everyone agrees that her plan is promising. Right after the meeting, the Son Group of Companies executes the crazy idea of Son Seungwan.


 

Fast forward to the current year. Son Seungwan's crazy idea ended up having 10,500 coffee shops locally and even abroad. However, she did not win Miss Caramel Macchiato's approval. Her sunbae has a dream. A dream to chase that even the eldest daughter of the wealthiest family in South Korea cannot give.


She named Chapters Coffee as a reminder of that chapter in her love story. A smile graces her lips as she sees the poster attached to the wall. Your dream already comes through, Sunbae. The coffee that she treasures left a bitter taste on her tongue for the first time. A bitter yet sweet taste.

 

To me, you, who is so warm and smells so beautiful

But it can’t be more beautiful and now it’s just a memory

 

Baby baby you’re caramel macchiato

Still, near my lips, your scent is sweet

Baby baby, tonight

Baby baby, you’re more than the scent of caffe latte

Do you remember this feeling, this comfort

Baby, baby, tonight

 

 

 

Outside the coffee shop, a woman is frozen on her spot. Her eyes are fixated on the person admiring the poster.

“Seungwan,” The woman whispers. Different waves of emotions flood her. She wants to run and hug her, but fear is clouding her mind. Fear that Seungwan will reject her hug or worst she might run away. Like what she did years ago.

“Suzy,” She hears someone calling her name. Followed by a light tap on her shoulder. Suzy turns her head on the left to look at her manager.

“Let’s go. We will be late for our meeting.” Suzy looks back to the coffee shop, but Seungwan is gone. Maybe it is a dream. Deep down, Suzy knows that she doesn’t want it to be a dream.

 

 

In a famous TV station, a group of people gathered inside a meeting room. The producer and director of the show are finalizing the things they need to achieve. While the writer of the show is distributing the documents they need for the meeting. Today is the D-day. The day they are going to discuss the latest and anticipated reality show.


Murmurs fill the room as everyone keeps on talking about how excited they are with the project. Plus, a person named Son Seungwan accepted their offer. The room becomes silent when they heard a soft knocking sound. The director stands up from her seat to open the door. A short blonde haired woman peeks inside the room. Her eyes roam around and notice that everyone is staring at her. She chuckles awkwardly and decided to enter go inside the room.


“Uhmm, hi,” Seungwan shyly greets them. A hand on her nape while her line of sight is on the floor. She thinks that the floor is more interesting than looking at them. Since she is to focus on looking at the floor, she did not realize that someone is looking at her with longing in her eyes.

“Hello, Miss Son,” A woman in her mid-30’s greets her. “I am Kwon Bo-ah the director of the show.”

Bo-ah and Seungwan shake each other hands. The former can feel the coldness from the latter’s hand. Is she nervous? Beads of sweat formed on Seungwan's forehead confirmed her hunch. What a surprise? Son Seungwan is nervous. The director chuckles that made the latter lift her head.

“Relax, Miss Son,” The director pats her left arm. “Be comfortable and just be yourself. The meeting is about to start. You can sit anywhere you like.”

Seungwan wants to tell her, anywhere? Can I sit outside the meeting room then run away and never come back? She chooses to keep shut and opted to look for a sit. Her eyes roam around and found a vacant seat beside a woman wearing a baseball cap. She bows her head to greet before taking a seat. A deep and long sigh escape from Seungwan’s lips. I can do this! You can do this, Son Seungwan! Finish the meeting then look for your bear friend to kill her.


 

After three thousand years (in reality, it is only fifteen minutes), the door swings open. Hurried footsteps followed by endless apologies resonated inside the room. Seungwan observes the newcomer. Based on her figure and voice, she knows who she is.

“It’s alright, Miss Kim,” Bo-ah utters. A warm smile painted on her face.

Interesting! The director is amazed at how flustered Seungwan and Jennie are. You cannot judge a book by its cover. People say that Seungwan is full of confidence while Jennie is intimidating. But looking at them, they are far from it. Seungwan looks like a lost puppy while Jennie looks like a puppy that is scolded by her hooman.

“You are in time, Miss Kim." The director says to Jennie. "You can sit beside Miss Son."

Kim Jennie stops breathing. Well, not really (she might die! Today is not the right time to die), a few seconds max. How can she not stop breathing? The woman that keeps on appearing in her dreams is finally here. The ing Son Seungwan is here. Her Seungwan! Wait... she's becoming too advanced. Stop thinking, Kim Jennie! Walk. She starts walking towards Seungwan. There, good job. Keep walking, Kim Jennie. A few more steps and you are with her. A blush spreads out on her cheeks when Seugnwan pulls out the chair for her. Ashfahdaf! Why are doing this Son Seungwan?!

But cupid has a different plan for her. A plan to embarrass her. How embarrassing it is? Jennie trips over the table when she is about to sit on the chair. You are so stupid, Kim! Jennie closes her eyes and waits for the impact. But she felt nothing. Only a sweet refreshing scent invades her nose. Plus, warm arms wrap around her petite body.

"Are you okay?" Someone whispers in her ears.

Jennie opens her eyes. She sees the most amazing view in her thirty-four years of existence. Wow! You are so beautiful.

"Uhmm, thanks," Seungwan softly replies. A tinge of red fills her cheeks.

Did I say it out loud? Jennie asks herself. , I did!

"Miss Son and Miss Kim, we are doing a reality show, not a Kdrama." Bo-ah jokes. Everyone laughed except for one.

"Am I right, Suzy?"


Seungwan's world stops spinning. Did she hear it right? Suzy? Bae Suzy? Her Suzy sunbae? The architect untangles herself from Jennie to face the woman beside her. It's her! Suzy sunbae is here.

"You are right, director Bo-ah," Bora replies. "It's like a scene from a K-drama."

The people inside laugh again. They did not notice the forced smile and laugh of Suzy. But Seungwan notices it. She knows when her sunbae is smiling genuinely and when she is faking it.

"Let's start the meeting," Bo-ah announces.

 

 

 

The meeting lasted for two hours. The director and producer of the show explain the whole concept of the show. The show is a Korean adaptation of America’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Seungwan will be the main architect while Jennie will be the interior designer. The host of the show is no other than, Bae Suzy. Currently, the hottest female celebrity.


The initial plan for the show is to have one season with eight episodes. The second season will be dependent on the audience's reaction and feedback. They will feature different families with unique stories. But for the first episode, will be based on Suzy and Seungwan.

"The first episode needs to be special," Bo-ah explains. "My team and I did some digging and we found out that you are schoolmates."

Suzy and Seungwan are frozen in their sits. The latter wants to protest but a hand stops her from doing it. She looks at the person sitting beside her.

“Are you Dispatch now, Director Bo-ah?” The celebrity jokes. “But that’s a good idea. Seungwan and I can go back to where everything started."

Seungwan stares at Suzy with different thoughts flooding in her head. What does she mean by going back to where it started?


"I'm glad you agree, Suzy. How about you Seungwan?"


The architect organizes her thoughts before answering. Should I answer, no it is not a good idea? Or should I agree with sunbae? She feels that the grip in her hand loosens. A pang of disappointment hits her chest. However, an unexpected thing happened. Instead of letting Seungwan's hand go, Suzy intertwines their hands. Why are doing this, Sunbae? What does this mean?

Seungwan inhales then answers the question. "Yeah, I agree with sunbae."


"Awesome!" The director hollers. One of the writers claps their hand and everyone follows. They are hopeful that this show will be a hit.

"Thank you, everyone," Bo-ah bows her head. “Before you go, PD Seo will have some announcement."

The producer stands up from her seat. Everyone stands up as well. The producer starts distributing the schedule for next week and the itinerary. The shoot will start on Tuesday. One crew will go to the Build-to-Protect office, while the other crew is assigned to Kim-Park Design & Renovation office.

“Let’s go, Suzy.” The celebrity’s manager beckons to follow her. “We have another schedule after this.”

Suzy nods her head then squeezes Seungwan’s hands before letting go. “See you next week, Seungwan.”

“Same, sunbae.” Seungwan curtly replies.

“See you next week, Miss Kim.” Bora and Jennie bow their heads and bid each other goodbye.

 

 

Seungwan and Jennie are left alone. The latter tries to speak but nothing comes out. She is all tongue-tied. The ing Son Seungwan is here, Kim Jennie! ing talk! No matter how many times Jennie scolds herself, no words are uttered. Are you a mute now?

“Do you want to have coffee?” Seungwan asks Jennie. The latter wants to do a cartwheel and even backflip, but she chooses not to. Tripping over is enough for today.

“Sure,” Jennie replies. “I love coffee.”

The reply put a smile on Seungwan’s face.

“Me too.”