Are We Dating

Favorite Record (Song Stuck in My Head)

 


"Okay look, we can do this. We did not shed blood and tears to give up now! All those years of studying… and giving up our social life—" Dahyun, always the light in their darkest hour tried her best to put up optimism in the small tight on-call room where her friends are lying lifeless at the top and bottom bunks.

"I can't even feel my legs anymore." Chaeyoung says, her voice muffled in the pillow.

Dahyun pressed her lips in a thin line putting her hand on her hip. If Chaeyoung, the one who usually would leap at sight of a challenge is giving up now, then she may have a problem in her hands. She turns at the bottom bunk and decided to risk it. "Tzuyu? Thoughts?"

"No thoughts. Head empty." Tzuyu says monotonal as she stared off the wall, munching on her biscuit... Her lunch.

Disappointed, Dahyun whines. "Oh come on, guys!! This is not the time to be weak--"

 

"Okay, that's easy for you to say. You're in Doctor Hirai's service for a month. That's rainbows and sunshines over there at Peds, not to mention she’s a God-sent. I was at Doctor Minatozaki's service and I'm convinced she hates me," Chaeyoung groans.

"Oh..." Both Dahyun and Tzuyu said in unison, understanding their friend’s pain. Being in the Cardio Rotation is every intern’s dream… only Minatozaki Sana is a very hard person to please.

Chaeyoung continues to rant, "She asked why I was late for 2 minutes on Rounds, and I was gonna say someone vomited on my scrubs and I had to change but then she asked me to intubate and I couldn't do it without shaking my hands. I'm dead.” Dahyun and Tzuyu are sure Chaeyoung is already crying at this point, until she says, “Anyone wants to exchange with me?"

 

Dahyun and Tzuyu immediately replies, "No thanks."

 

The trio… had been friends ever since Med School.  Dahyun and Chaeyoung were tight buds, being in the same Pre-Med Course, until Tzuyu comes in Med School winning them over that they did not hesitate to include her in their little group. From then on, they had been bestfriends and relied on each other through thick and thin. Dahyun has the right attitude, the optimism, Chaeyoung has the guts, and Tzuyu has the brains. Together, they survived Med School.

 

But no one told them internship is another level of hardship that’s gonna destroy their morale. Sure, they are in one of the best teaching hospitals in the country. Sure, being on practice is different than having the safety of the walls of the classrooms. But no one told them, there would be days they’d be walking on the halls of the crowd-packed hospital, aimlessly, questioning their purpose in life. (Yes, that’s how draining it had been for them)

 

Dahyun sighs and continues to pace. She had always carried the group’s morale and she’s not gonna stop now. "Tzuyu, who's service are you at?"

Tzuyu sighs and then says, "I don't know. I go where my feet takes me."

 

Dahyun looks at her dumbfounded, "What? Tzuyu, are you okay?" Tzuyu has always been stoic, but once she warmed up to them she would joke around too. But now, she’s staring off to nowhere, looking like she’s having war flashbacks.

 

"Cut her some slack. She was at the ER with Doctor Park and there were multiple trauma this morning."

 

Beep beep

 

And just like that, the switch was flipped. The three of them panicked, grabbing onto their devices to see if the unlucky one was them. That sound already scarred them, making them feel like it’s their version of Kill Bill Siren.

 

The first to pass through is Chaeyoung, sighing in relief, even pumping her fists on the air. "Thank God, it's not me. I swear Minatozaki-nim just calls to cut my head off and to tell me I'm not cut out for this--"

Dahyun grimaces, "She's not that bad."

"You're biased 'cause she flirted with you on the bar yesterday."

"She flirted with everyone--"

"Right. How can she be so cheerful and funny off-hours and be the Devil reincarnate at work?!"

"Wait, if it's not us then--"

 

The unlucky one, Tzuyu groans, "Yeah. It's me."

Chaeyoung bends her body and hangs her head on the side, upside-down to look at Tzuyu, who’s now sitting up. "ER?"

Tzuyu shakes her head, grabbing her coat folded nicely at the drawer adjacent to the bed. "Nope. I wish it is.” She sighs and looks at them with sad eyes, “It's Doctor Myoui.”

Dahyun and Chaeyoung smile, but Tzuyu rolls her eyes and frowns, “Probably needs me to get her lunch or something."

"Tzuyu--"

 

Also there it is. Myoui Mina is their resident, in charge of the new interns, their captain, so to speak. She's not really as scary as the other doctors in the hospital. She's actually pretty approachable: answers your questions dutifully, and teaches you hands-on on procedures. She would even give them hacks on how to survive any attending's rotation. So really, the trio couldn’t ask for a better resident. They could actually feel like they can actually learn something from their seniors, and that there’s meaning to all of this after all.

 

But times like this, Tzuyu wants to bang her head on a wall or something. She would understand Doctor Minatozaki’s torture. She’s one of the most cheerful person in the hospital but is very professional at work. She’s very strict with time and work ethics. So Chaeyoung’s torture is warranted. But Doctor Myoui…

 

5 months in and the petite doctor has suddenly started ordering Tzuyu around. Tzuyu can swear Mina has a sixth sense on Tzuyu just laying around and resting. And before Tzuyu knows it, she's sprinting towards where Mina is... Only to find Mina stoically waiting for her and giving her trivial tasks...

It went from updating her charts,

Giving verbal summary of all her cases,

Asking textbook questions,

To… Getting her a meal.

Getting her coffee, a shake, a frozen yogurt, oatmeal bars, even just opening up a bottle of water for her (Tzuyu was about to lose it)

 

Things that aren't necessarily supposed to be Tzuyu's job. But Tzuyu can only sigh. First day of internship, they told them they were interns, bottom of the Surgical Chain, foundation of the Authority Totem Pole.

 

Mina could ask Tzuyu to go to the moon, and Tzuyu would say, ‘Sure. Do you want me to get you a souvenir?’

Mina would click her fingers and Tzuyu would happily wag her tail and follow her around. At least she’s nice to look at, right?


"So you're crushing on the intern?"

"Okay, before you get mad--"

"Who said I'm mad?"

"Uhmm... The angry swirls in your paper could be one indication."

Sana looks down sheepishly. But stopped swirling. She leans in and puts her face on the palm of her hand, smiling fondly at Mina. She laughs and says, "I mean... She's pretty cute I guess."

Mina glares at Sana and Sana just giggles. Sana taps her nose and pinches it in return.

"You guess?” Momo scoffs, throwing her grape towards Sana. “She's the talk at my Department. The pretty intern with the legs to die for, and is actually pretty handy. As Jihyo said: she's like a robot. You ask for something, anything, and she delivers." Momo gushes and then pats Mina’s back almost saying, ‘Good choice.’ "Can't wait ‘till I have her on my service. When does her rotation in the ER ends?"

Mina smiles at Momo shyly and then puts her hair behind her ear. Sana would raise her eyebrow at the gesture. Mina turns to Momo and shrugs, "Jihyo requested her for another week. She's been fond of her."

Momo pouts and whines, "What happens to quality teaching and diverse experience? Come on... Let me have her!"

Sana laughs and says, "Jihyo can get whatever she wants. Ever since she’s been head of Trauma, they rarely lose patients in there. Surgeons should keep up.” At Momo’s whine and protest, Sana turns to her teasingly, “Ehh. Maybe I should have her instead. I need someone handy. You can have Son. That kid is gonna her pants even before she gets inside an OR."

 

The two attendings laugh, but Mina just shakes her head. “Don’t be too harsh. She’s alright.”

The three of them were interrupted by someone clearing . Mina straightened her back, recognizing it.

 

A soft voice came flowing in, “Doctor Myoui, you paged?"

The trio had suddenly went quiet. Momo and Sana took a side-glance to Mina before turning their attention to the tall intern. Her brown hair is flowing at the side of her face and they took this time to admire her beauty. They know how stressful it could be, especially on their Post-Duty Shift… and Tzuyu for her part, looked like she just woke up from a beauty rest. Aside from her tired eyes, she looks like she’s just about ready to start a new cycle of shift.

 

Mina changed her expression. From having a soft and cheerful front, she now has a cold and reserved façade. She slowly looks up to Tzuyu and tried to calm her beating heart. She knew the girl has been busy on the ER and she wanted to congratulate her for a job well done. From a far, she can see Jihyo’s tired face, just now entering the Doctor’s Lounge, so she knew Tzuyu hasn’t eaten her lunch yet.

 

Calm down, Mina. You can do this.

 

She takes a sip from her drink, and Tzuyu would follow her movements with her eyes, hugging the pile of charts on her arms tightly. The stare of the two attendings is making her nervous.

 

Ask her to join you.

"Where are my charts?" Is what came out of Mina’s mouth.

 

Later she would reprimand herself, being the useless little bean that she is. And from the looks Momo and Sana are giving her, she knows they’ll be teasing her after this.

 

Tzuyu jumps a little on Mina’s snark. She hands the pile of charts to Mina slowly, careful not to drop anything. "Here...--"

Mina raises her eyebrow and looks at her, "Is this--"

Tzuyu nods, already knowing where this is going. "Yes. Organized from High-risk to Low-risk, just like you wanted. Are we doing rounds?"

Mina almost smiles, trying hard to mask being impressed, "We should. Have you reviewed them?"

"Yes... Do you want a verbal summary?"

"I'm eating my lunch... As you can see."

"Oh..." Tzuyu shifts her weight from one foot to another, not really sure why she's paged. Doctor Myoui looks like she doesn't really need her now. Actually, she felt like she just interrupted her private time, with the two attendings by her side, not hiding their smiles towards her. She looks at her resident's tray and realized she got a barely touched meal, a juice... And a banana. Uhm... Why else is she here? She shifts her weight from one food to another, and fidgets with her hands, "Do you need me to... Get you... Uhm... Dessert?"

 

Mina’s eyes widen, and Sana couldn’t stop herself from giggling. Tzuyu looks at them confused. Momo taps the table and says, "Tzuyu-ssi, have you eaten?"

Tzuyu would almost relax at Momo’s warm welcome. She always had the reputation of being the most approachable attending. Still, the presence of Sana in the table is making her nervous, having heard of Chaeyoung’s rant, so she stutters, "Y-yes, Doctor Hirai."

Momo side-eyes Mina’s dejected face and then turns to Tzuyu, looking at her amused, "Really? 'Cause I was gonna ask you to join us."

Tzuyu’s eyes widen. If she wasn’t busy panicking, she would’ve noticed Mina’s reaction as well and her kicking Momo under the table. "Oh uhm... That's very nice of you but I--"

Sana, amused with the situation decided to chime in. She was always Momo’s partner-in-crime and Mina had always been their baby. "Are you saying ‘No’ to your attending?"

Tzuyu gulps, "I mean... I can get some salad and a juice."

Sana raises her eyebrows at this.

Tzuyu just stood there and nods firmly, "Yes... I will! I'll be right back." She bows her head to her seniors and then started sprinting towards the cafeteria. Momo and Sana started laughing, with Mina glaring at them. And then Tzuyu stops, and then jogged back to them. As if on cue, the duo stopped laughing and Mina averted her eyes, suddenly finding her veggies interesting. Tzuyu bows again before speaking, "Do you want anything?"

Sana shrugs and takes a sip from her water. "Why don't you get us something? Go figure what we like. And I'll let you in on my surgery if you do get it right."

"W-what? Are you serious?"

"Do I look like I'm joking to you?"

Tzuyu’s eyes widen, recognizing Sana’s tone and then shakes her head profusely. "N-no!"

Sana smirks, enjoying Tzuyu’s reactions. She would admit she is adorable. She decides to mess with her more, "If you do get it wrong though...--" She narrows her eyes, looking darkly at Tzuyu and it made Tzuyu’s knees weak.

Thankfully, Momo intervenes, "Stop torturing the girl." No intern would survive without Momo. She turns to Tzuyu, "She's messing with you. Just get us what you're getting. And get Mina some--"

“Oatmeal bar with chocolate chips” Tzuyu answers, already memorized. Being Mina’s lap dog as Jeongyeon would , she almost had Mina figured out.

The three at the table look at her amused and she would blush, looking away.

Before Tzuyu could turn away, Sana regards her, “Chou, don’t run.”

Tzuyu looks at her confused, but nods anyway. She bows her head and then started walking away… slowly, feeling conscious that she has three pairs of eyes on to her.

 

As Tzuyu walks away, the three couldn’t help but stare at her back with Momo nodding and saying, "Even with those scrubs, she has a nice ."

Sana nods in agreement, training her eyes from the tall girl’s long neck down to her .

Mina rolls her eyes, and hits Momo's arm playfully. "You guys are mean."

 

"Oh, we're mean? You're the one paging her for no reason just so you can spend time with her."

"and stare at her ."

"I'm not--"

In unison, Momo and Sana say, "Really?"

 

Mina whines and pouts, "Okay, fine. But what am I supposed to do? You told me to find a way for us to spend time together."

Sana glares at Momo. And Momo raises her hands in surrender. "I meant outside work. You know... Like ask her out. Not order her around."

Mina’s eyes widen, clearly panicking, "I can't ask her out! I... I'm her resident. Isn't that against--"

Momo snorts and says jokingly, "Sana had slept with tons of interns. I'm actually surprised she hasn't started in this year’s batch."

Sana gasps and points at Momo accusingly, "Hey! You're one to talk, aren't you--"

Momo cracks up and winks, "Actually, it's why I'm waiting till I have your cute little errand girl on my service. I'll make my move then."

At that Mina whines at the blonde on her right, "Hey!"

Momo snickers, hugging Mina, "Kidding."

 

"But really. Just ask her out."

Sana snorts, "Where's the fun in that?"


Sana is watching Mina on her phone with curiosity. Having known to be clingy when she’s off-duty, she didn’t hesitate to go behind Mina and hug her from behind.

Mina jumps at the gesture but relaxed immediately when she recognized who it was. “Sana.”

Sana hums and puts her head over Mina’s shoulder, snaking her hand in the girl’s front. “What got you smiling?”

Mina laughs lightly and leans in to Sana’s touch. “So… I followed Momo’s advice… and asked Tzuyu out.”

Sana gasps and her eyes widen at the information. Excited, she was ready to gush with Mina. Before she can speak though, Mina lowers her head and took it back, “Okay not really.”

That was quick.

Sana pouts and look at her curiously.

Mina shrugs, and slowly turns to Sana, not getting away from her hug. “I mean… I waited till her shift is over and offered to drive her home… and then said that we should get some drinks.”

At that, Sana had the same reaction but twice as comical.

Reading Sana’s mind, Mina took it back again. “It’s not what you’re thinking! We really just had two drinks because I noticed she really was tired and then I drove her home!” She can’t help but mumble, “I mean I guess that’s progress, right? Now I know where she lives…"

The gears are turning in Sana’s head and before Mina knows it she was being pulled aside, away from possible gossipers. Sana looks at her dead in the eyes and then inhaled deeply. Mina looks at her confused and Sana would think the two of them are really two sides of the same coin. “Listen, Minari. I know you can barely flirt normally. I mean sure, there were times that you’re y, but…  the first step here is… really just to ask her out on a date. And maybe lose the authorative tone, so she wouldn’t think you’d kick her out of your service if she says no.”

Mina tilts her head and chews on her lip. She seems to think about it but creases her eyebrows, “Okay, but didn’t you say to be creative? I was thinking, maybe now, I can drive her home and we can spend time together… talking. I mean we talked last night, and I learned little things about her. Did you know she likes to jog in the morning to clear her head?”

Sana smiled at how cute Mina is being but clicks her tongue. This might work with Momo and they love Mina to the moon and back but she really is on the other side of the spectrum when it comes to this. “Yes, but she’s on her Cardio rotation… which means you don’t really have the same schedule. Later, she’ll catch on and realize you’re just waiting for her… You catch my drift?”

Mina shakes her head.

Sana sighs in frustration, “Some would think, you’re being a stalker and coming on to her a bit hard.

When Mina pouts, Sana was already ready to grab Tzuyu and make her date Mina. But she decided against it and cleared her mind. As Spiderman’s Uncle Ben once said, “With great power comes great responsibility.”

 

Oh great. She’s quoting Marvel now. The DCU fan in her is seething.

 

“This is hopeless… I’m hopeless, right? Maybe it’s too soon for me.”

Sana’s eyes widen and shakes her head, now determined to console Mina. “Look, I’m 642% behind you on this, alright? If you think you’re ready for this, then you should go for it. Tzuyu is not her.”

Mina looks at her with sad eyes, not losing her pout. “Yes, but it’s wrong. She’s… She’s my intern. There has to be some rule? I’m already taking advantage of her… ordering her around and—”

Sana feels bad for Mina, now thinking them messing with her head has finally caught up to her. She squeezes Mina’s shoulder and then says, “If it’s consensual, then you’re not breaking any rule.” She hugs Mina and pats her head, making the resident lean into her. “I’m sure, if she gets to know you, she’d definitely fall for you. You’re amazing Mina, and you’re definitely anyone could ever ask for in a girlfriend. If Tzuyu can’t see it, then she’s not worth it.”

Mina looks up to Sana, saying softly, “That’s not what she said.”

Sana clenches her jaw, tightening her hold on Mina. She would blame the ex for ruining Mina’s self-confidence, for leaving them to put the pieces back together, for shattering Mina’s heart… for breaking Mina, their Mina… She can still remember on how devastated she is, on how she can barely function. So really no one can blame her if she’s ready to build a barricade around Mina and to stand on a post, ready to shoot fire on anyone trying to steal Mina’s heart. (Dramatic, she would agree, but Sana can be really protective of Mina)

 

It was a surprise for her when Mina told her she has a crush on someone… on an intern no less. Sana was delighted, ‘cause a year later and Mina has moved on! And the first thing Sana did was pull up Chou Tzuyu’s file and did a background check on her. If this is someone else, she would’ve been strict with the No Fraternizing Policy in the Hospital. But it has never caused an issue at the hospital. Most of the doctors had dated each other, really just going around to who’s available. So the next thing Sana did is pull strings to get Tzuyu on her service, and realized she really is what Park Jihyo claims her to be. Ace Tzuyu, is what they call her. The promising intern of this batch. It makes Sana more frustrated ‘cause she’s dead on set finding a hole to this girl’s façade.

 

The only hole she finds is Mina’s… way of flirting.

 

She’s not gonna blame the poor girl. In Mina’s past relationship, she was the one who was pursued, not the one pursuing. And with her and Momo as role models, she’s not really set off on a good start.


Chaeyoung puts her hand over Tzuyu’s shoulder as she peeks into Tzuyu’s post it. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say Doctor Myoui likes you.”

Dahyun snorts and threw her stress ball to the air. “You mean, likes to order her around.”

Chaeyoung half-shrugs and then points to Tzuyu, “She’d always buy you a drink when we’re out and has been driving you home. And now you’re communicating through post its.

Tzuyu puts the post it in her pocket and then turns to her friend. “The post it literally says the patient’s dosage.”

Chaeyoung shrugs and mumbles, “There’s a heart on it.”

Tzuyu rolls her eyes, “’cause he’s a Cardio patient.”

Chaeyoung narrows her eyes at Tzuyu, “Okay, but admit… that she doesn’t order you around anymore. She’s actually been nicer to you.”

Dahyun laughs and switches from one hand to another. “Doctor Myoui had always been nice.”

“But not to me.”

“Eh. We just have our own match. Doctor Myoui for you. Doctor Minatozaki for me. Doctor Park for Dahyun. At least their certain traits can be masked by how good they look.”

Dahyun winced, “Please don’t remind me. Tzuyu forgot to tell me ER is not for the faint of heart.”

Tzuyu laughs, “Who’s match is Doctor Hirai?”

Chaeyoung nudges her and says, “She’s our savior, alright? She’s the one who’s gonna help us survive internship and our residency when it comes down to it.”


Panic.

Chaos.

Mess.

Blood.

 

Everything was fine until it wasn’t.

 

For the first time in months since Tzuyu started her internship in Mina’s service, she had paged her. She’s never paged her. She’d always come running to her.

Code Blue.

She knows it can be life or death in the hospital but she never thought it'll be this bad. When Mina got onto the patient’s room, the patient was breathing heavily, there were blood on the floor, and Tzuyu is standing over the patient, with blood all over her scrubs and her coat… it really looked like something out of a gore film.

 

Tzuyu is keeping pressure at the side of the patient’s neck and Mina had never seen Tzuyu that stressed. Tzuyu’s eyes brighten at the sight of her, and maybe if this doesn’t look very bad, Mina’s heart would leap. “His artery blew, Doctor Myoui.”

 

“It’s okay, I’m right here.” Is the first thing Mina said. And at that time, she’d finally say, “You’re doing great.”

Tzuyu shakes her head, her eyes glistening, “My… my hands slipped a couple of times. And he’s losing a lot of blood. But it’s okay… I paged Doctor Minatozaki. She’ll fix this right?”

Mina bit her lip, handing Tzuyu gauze, “There’s no OR, they’re cramped in there.”

Tzuyu nods and blinked fast, “Okay, but she’s coming right? She’ll fix this… Doctor Myoui, his artery blew… this is High-Risk. Right?”

 

Mina nods and kept her poker face… for the sake of the patient and Tzuyu. She hands her a gauze and instructs her, “Keep the pressure.”

 

Tzuyu continued to do so but panics when Mina started leaving, “Please don’t leave.”

Mina looks at her softly then says, “You’re doing great. I’m gonna get Sana, alright?”

“Don’t leave… please, Doctor Myoui. I can’t—”

Mina looks at her pointedly and then says, “Yes, you can. You can do this. You will do this.”


“Chou, catch me up.”

 

Tzuyu sighs in relief, she never thought hearing Sana’s voice would give her this much hope. “I think the bleeding stopped.”

Sana walks up to her, wearing her gloves, “You think?”

Mina would glare at her. Sana leans into the patient as Tzuyu steps back. She takes a glance at Mina who’s looking at her expectantly and then smiles at the patient, “Yes, it did. Seems like Doctor Chou stopped the bleeding.” She steps back and turns to Tzuyu, “Good job.” She turns back to the patient and winks at him, “’told you you’re in good hands. Ace Tzuyu is here.”

The patient laughs barely, “Ace Tzuyu also said you can fix this. This looks very bad Doctor Minatozaki.”

Sana gave him a tight smile, “I’ll try my best.”

 

"It will most likely blew up again, we need to hurry." Mina says.

Sana nods and orders the room, “Doctor Myoui, prep him for transfer, Doctor Chou, dress this wound. I’ll clear OR 3.”


"Time of death 16:03"

 

Mina finds Tzuyu at the room of the patient… who didn’t even reach the OR because his artery blew again and died in the room.

Tzuyu is there, standing at the side of the room, unchanged, staring at where he used to be. The Service Masters were there cleaning the room and she was just there, with blood all over her clothes, and her neck unmoving.

 

Mina clears and asked for everyone to leave the room. The people gave her a nod. She walks up in front of Tzuyu who didn’t even notice she was there.

"Look, it's not your fault--"

Right then, Tzuyu started crying. “You told me to look out for him… And I should have… -- I think I missed something in his chart.” She paused and then nods, “Yes… I missed something. I missed something and he bled out—”

Mina shakes her head and held Tzuyu’s hands. “No, you didn’t. There was a slim chance that it’ll happen, and it did.”

But seems like Tzuyu is not hearing her. Just staring over her shoulder… towards where she used to stand. “No… You trusted me with this, and I’ve let you down. It’s why you always have me review his case. Read over it, recite it so I would know, right?” She moves her gaze to Mina… and Mina’s heart clenched as Tzuyu’s voice cracked, “You just want the best for me and I disappointed you. I'm so sorry, Doctor Myoui. I've let you down. I let him down. This my fault. I wasn’t--"

Mina grimaced. This is no one’s fault, not really. Some things are out of their control. But it is Mina’s fault, the Tzuyu had totally misunderstood Mina’s wild goose chase with Tzuyu. She sighs and held on to Tzuyu’s hands tighter. "I review his chart twice as much as you. And I also missed it, if there's anything to miss. Don't beat yourself over it. Alright? We can't be gods and goddesses over here. We do as much as we can."

They were silent for awhile and Mina just let Tzuyu cry. This… is the first time Tzuyu had lost a patient right in front of her eyes… right when she was putting pressure on his pulse, trying everything to keep him from bleeding out.

Tzuyu sniffs and looked at her with sad eyes, "It's just... wasn't enough?"

Mina looks at her, searching her face, then back up to her eyes. She nods, "This time it wasn't. But it'll be a lesson for you. To do better next time. So you can save more lives, alright? It's not your fault. Don’t put this on you. You tried everything. You did great. And you would continue to do so."

Tzuyu slowly nods, but Mina is sure her words aren’t going through her brain. And Mina would understand. She would let her grieve.

 

But when Tzuyu looks back at her, Mina doesn’t know why… but it felt like she was waiting for something. So she turned off the voices in her head… and lifts her hand to caress Tzuyu’s face.

 

Tzuyu didn’t look surprised. In fact, she even leaned on Mina’s touch, closing her eyes. And Mina’s sanity would say she’s grieving, and she should leave her alone. But Mina can’t. ‘Cause in Mina’s mind, all she can think of is how she wanted to take care of the girl right in front her. She runs her thumb over her cheek gently as she hums, taking in the girl’s features.

 

And then…

 

She kissed her.

 

And…

 

Tzuyu kissed her back.


"Sorry..." Mina dropped her hands on Tzuyu's shoulders, tangling her fingers through her hair, smiling hesitantly.

"It's okay…" Tzuyu muttered. She pulled her arms around Mina's waist and let her head sink onto her shoulders. She fit so perfectly into her arms. It felt nice to be the smaller one.

Mina bit her lip. "Close your eyes," Mina cut in, gently pushing Tzuyu's face from her shoulder, making her look into her eyes.

"Why?"

Tzuyu's gaze lingered at her for a moment, before she closed her eyes, trusting Mina.

Hovering over Tzuyu, Mina lowered her head a little and captured Tzuyu's lips with hers. Tzuyu felt her stomach twist in surprise, as she felt soft lips on hers kissing her gently. She pulled Tzuyu's bottom lip into , gently it before she detached herself and watched her eyes.

Tzuyu swallowed.

"Hmmm… Your lips are so soft. Why is it so soft?" She stated; a lopsided grin appeared on Mina's face. Then Tzuyu dropped her eyes.

"I… I don’t know…"And Mina would laugh, because even that she would find adorable.

Then, Mina could see the conflict behind her eyes.

"Tzuyu…"

“Y-yes?” Tzuyu replied quietly.

“This is the third time we’ve done this.” This was all wrong. It was wrong from the beginning. She shouldn't have had this idea to help Tzuyu. And now, she had tasted her, and she didn't really want to let her go. “The first we can brush off as an accident… or a mistake…” When Tzuyu grimaces, Mina shakes her softly, leaning down to kiss her softly. “The second, we can say we wanted to be sure.” Another kiss.

Mina pulls back and stares at Tzuyu’s eyes, “This is the third time. We should know by now. Do you… want this?”

As Mina searches Tzuyu’s face, she nuzzles her face with her nose and whispers, “It’s okay if you don’t. I won’t make your life at the hospital miserable. I… if anything, you could even report me—”

“I won’t!”

Tzuyu her lips and then sighs, “You didn’t force me… I…” She looks back up to Mina and cups her face, “The first… I wasn’t thinking. You were there and I wanted to forget. The second… I was curious.” Tzuyu leans and kisses Mina’s lips gently, “Now… I want to try.”

 

And for Mina, that’s all she needed to hear.

 

This time Mina's lips pressed against Tzuyu's with more pressure than before. She pulled her into her, running her digits through her hair. It was the perfect kiss, and the perfect touch. Mina knew what her body needed and she made Tzuyu feel it.

A shiver went up Tzuyu's spine, when Mina's tongue flickered against her bottom lip, exploring when she opened her lips readily. The shirt Tzuyu had put on was quickly removed again. Mina pulled Tzuyu deeper into her, hands roaming down her sides, and wandering to her back until she found the clip of her bra that she easily unclasped. She tossed the piece down and dug her fingers into Tzuyu's s, making her moan in response. Tzuyu ran her fingers along Mina's back, scratching along her skin in a rough manner.

Mina was the opposite. She enjoyed every contact, touching and every spot she knew that would make the taller girl tremble. Tzuyu bit her neck, when Mina ran her fingernails down the insides of her thighs. She parted her legs automatically and Mina slammed herself into her, her knee pushing between Tzuyu's thighs, rubbing up and down impatiently. Tzuyu moaned, buckling her hips, as the tension in her throbbing center increased.


As Mina follows Tzuyu with her eyes while she gives her her morning briefing, she ponders on a thought, what are they?

 

They haven’t labeled their relationship as anything, haven’t even dropped the ‘L-word’.

 

And… they haven’t introduced each other to their friends.

 

Which… Mina could only imagine being a disaster.

 

As far as she knows, her team is terrified of Sana but worships the ground Momo walks on. And Sana and Momo love to mess around with the interns. She can’t exactly put a pin on where Tzuyu stands. She doesn’t know how to open the subject.

 

Her thoughts were interrupted when Momo puts her arm over her shoulder. She shakes her head and realized her team had dispersed and went on their respective rotations. Was she dozing off again?

 

“You're getting laid aren't you?"

"What?"

"You have that glow and you couldn’t stop smiling.”

 

Mina rolls her eyes but didn’t shrug Momo’s arm, “I’m not talking to you about this.” In attempt to change the subject, Mina opens her clipboard.

But Momo see through it and closed it for her, “That sounds like a ‘yes’ to me. Have you gotten over your little crush?”

Another eyeroll and a blush, “This is work-time. No time for gossip.”

Momo pulled her closer, “No way!” She gasps. “You and Chou?”

Mina’s eyes widen and puts her hand over Momo’s mouth, “Why don’t you just announce it?!” Mina looks around if anyone has heard them and sighed when no one seems to be paying them attention.

 

She lets go of Momo’s mouth and notices the older girl is laughing. “I can’t believe it worked!”

“No, it didn’t… It’s complicated.”

“Yeah? Let’s uncomplicate it!”

And then out of nowhere, Sana joins them, putting her hand around Mina’s waist. “Uncomplicate what?”

Mina sighs. “Nothing. Please, Sana. Tell Momo to get back to work.”

“Mina and Tzuyu are doing it.”

Sana gasps, “Since when?”

“I did not say anything.”

“Hmm… Ok, ok. I think it’s been quite a while. When did Mina stop having Tzuyu as her lap dog?”

Mina glares at Momo and hisses at her, “She’s not my lap dog.”

Momo giggles and singsongs, “Yes. She’s now your girlfriend~~”

Mina pouts, “Also not my girlfriend.”

“Eh?!”

Mina covered her ears at the two of them shouting. Being sandwiched by the two is not her ideal position this early in the morning when she hadn’t had her coffee yet. Ugh. Where was the one Chaeyoung gave her?

 

“Minari on a Colleagues with benefits arrangement. I’m torn between being proud and worried.” Sana says, leaning her face to Mina’s, as Momo doubles in laughter.

Mina frowns at the term. Is that what they are? Colleagues with benefits?

“Oh no. It’s worse. You don’t even know what you are!”

Mina turns to Momo, “Are you a psychic or what?

Momo shrugs, chuckling, “I know you well.”

 

Sana clicks her tongue and then nudges Momo, “Should we invite her at lunch?”

Mina’s eyes widen, “No. Definitely not.”

Momo nods, “We should.”

Mina groans, “Are you two not even listening to me?!”

Sana giggles and then pinches Mina’s waist.


 Unknown Sender: I miss you.

Unknown Sender: Can we please talk? I know you’ve been thinking of me too.

Unknown Sender: I still love you.

 

Mina’s jaw clenched at the sight of the messages. No matter how much she changed numbers, she wouldn’t leave her alone. And no matter how much Mina tries, she can still get under her skin.

 

Chou Tzuyu: Chaeyoung says she puts milk first before her cereal. ☹ I think I should know /now/ about your preference and not wait till 4 years later and wonder who this person next to me really is.

 

And just like that… all of Mina’s anger dissipated. Almost as if she didn’t get any unwanted messages.

She doesn’t fight off the smile forming in her lips. She tries very hard not to overthink on the possibility that Tzuyu thinks they’d still be together 4 years later. Instead, she chose to stay light-hearted.

 

She can only imagine what the effect on her will be if Tzuyu starts sending her intimate messages.

 

:Is that why Chaeyoung has always been my favorite?

 

It didn’t take long ‘till she gets a reply.

 

Chou Tzuyu:

Chou Tzuyu: I thought I’m your favorite??

Chou Tzuyu: ☹ ☹ ☹

 

Mina’s smile got bigger, feeling the all too familiar warmth…

 

Damn it. Mina is way in too deep with this girl. 


"Who pissed you off?"

"No one..."

 

“Doctor Myoui, here are the lab results—“

Mina snarls, “What took you so long? I needed that yesterday” She grabbed the chart from the poor intern, and Sana twisted her body to pay full attention.

“I’m sorry—”

Mina clicks her tongue, “’Sorry’ doesn’t make lab results.”

 “Sor—I mean… I--”

Stop talking.”

A nod, and his lips were shut.

Mina breathes through her nose, looking over her chart and then to the shaking intern standing a few acceptable distance from her. “His lactic acid is normal, what does that tell us?”

A second of silence and Mina is ready to rip this poor guy to shreds.

Doctor Bhuwakul! Are you there to just stand or be a doctor?”

BamBam for his part, just stares at her with sad puppy eyes, pursing his lips.

Mina narrows her eyes, “You can talk now.”

BamBam nods, then spits rapid fire, “That he’s probably not septic so he’s gonna be fine.”

Mina just stares into him, and BamBam would’ve felt she was staring into his soul. “His white cell count is elevated so I’d probably keep an eye on that.” BamBam creases his eyebrows when Mina continues to stare at him. “I mean, yes. I will keep an eye on that!”

Mina rolls her eyes and then snaps, “Why don’t you go to the pit and try not to kill anybody?”

 

As Sana follows the used to be bubbly intern rushing across the hall, then she smirks in Mina’s direction. “Seems like Medusa came out here to play.”

“What?”

Sana giggles looping her arms with Mina, taking her towards the opposite direction, “They call you Myoui Medusa… You know like the one in Greek mythology. Turns anybody into stone with her piercing stare.”

Mina rolls her eyes and huffs, “Maybe if half of my interns are not incompetent, I would’ve been—”

Sana laughs, “Okay, sweetie. That’s me. I’m the Devil Reincarnate scourging the halls of this hospital, cutting the interns' will to live until Momo comes, with her unicorn and fairy dust, protecting her kids.” An eyeroll. “You’re the knight, supposed to be fighting for those who can’t fight for themselves.”

Mina glares at Sana, not changing her sour mood. “Where did you even hear that? That’s stupid.

Sana gives her her high-pitched giggle and slaps her arm, “We’re gonna try this again, and you’ll be direct this time. Who pissed you off?”

Mina didn’t answer for a while, but then heaves a sigh before turning to Sana with a pout adorning her face. “Do you think I'm dating?"

It made Sana halt, then slowly turn to Mina, “What?”

Mina suddenly become conscious, putting her hair behind her ear, looking everywhere but Sana. "Do you think I'm dating?"

Sana was taken a back. She would’ve laughed at how silly the question is, but she recognize Mina’s stance, and it’s the one that tells her that resident is insecure. Still, Sana would be direct, "Why are you asking me?"

Mina half-shrugs, but decides to just go for it. She had always trusted Sana. "'Cause I thought I was dating... I mean we went out a few times… like dates and stuff. We've been sleeping together quite few times also, and she seems satisfied with me." A nod. "Yes. Many times, she's very satisfied."

Sana blinks and was not prepared to Mina ranting. So she quietly quips, "Wow. And you say you don't want to talk about it."

But seems like Mina is not hearing her. The girl is now frustrated, waving her hands in wild gestures, "And I run with her in the morning so she can drop by that dog park near her place. And you know me Sana, I don't run. But I do that so we can spend the morning together. And then I drive her home, so she can have more rest! But only when our schedules align, just as you told me!"

"Getting sappy, I see. But go on."

"She has a toothbrush at my place! A toothbrush! That's... That's dating, right? And I've slept over at her place as well. Sure, I don't have a drawer there yet... But she makes me wear her shirts that smell like her... That's so much better right?"

"Yap... This is... Not my cup of tea, sis."

Mina paused and the turns to Sana, holding her by the shoulders, shaking her, "So? Do you think we're dating?!"

Sana looks at her, opening and then her closing, thinking her words. She smiles playfully and answers her, "Again, why are you asking me?"

Mina groans, "Have you not been listening?! I thought we were dating and then I found her this morning all cozied up with Yoo Jeongyeon and they look like they're dating! Hmph!" Sana laughs as Mina crosses her arms and stomps her foot. "Stop laughing! This is serious!"

"You look cute when you're jealous!"

Mina puts her fists on the side, now looking like a child throwing a tantrum, "I'm not cute! There's nothing cute about being jealous." Mina grimaces at the word and then pouts. "It's just messy and bad. It hurts in here.” She points to her chest. “Like there's a pinch in your heart and it makes me want to vomit." Mina even covered and pretended to gag.

Sana continues to laugh, then envelopes Mina's head into her arms. "Awww. Cute~~ Minari is so cute. C'mere."

Mina tried to push her away. "I said it's not cute." It totally is.

Sana chuckles, "This could all be over if you just ask... you know... The girl you're supposed to be dating."

Mina frowns and crosses her arms, "I can't ask her if we're dating. What if she gets confused and was like, "Are we even dating?" That's just embarrassing! What if we were just colleagues with benefits?!" Mina’s eyes widen at the term. She never liked it when they first referred to it, and she hates it even more now.

Sana just shrugs, "Then you'll know."

"Sana!!" Mina whines and Sana's heart melts.

"Do you want me to ask her if you two are dating?"

"No! I just want to know what you think?"

Sana laughs and smirks at her. "I think you’re close to being crazy.

Mina pouts.

"Just ask her, alright? 'Cos if you don't I will--"

Mina was gonna protest but snaps shout when Sana narrows her eyes at her, losing her smile. "I'm serious Mina. I love that you've finally moved on. I love that you're smiling again." *chuckles* "I even enjoy you being this jealous. And I told you I'm 642% behind you on this as long as you don't bring it in the hospital.” When Mina looks at her confused, she rolls her eyes and crosses her arms, “You're making me look like a saint. Get it together. 'Cause if you’re this salty just thinking whether who's dating who... Then I dont know how you'll do a 4-hour surgery with Doctor Yoo"

"Wait what? She’s scrubbing in?”

"Yes. Her first solo surgery. So, you're gonna it up, and bottle all that jealousy inside and be a good senior to her, alright?"

Mina makes a face, "Ugh."


"Doctor Myoui?"

Even with whirlwind of emotions, it still manages to comfort Mina. She turns slowly towards the voice and smile timidly at Tzuyu. "I told you to just call me Mina when it's just us."

Tzuyu blushes and looks around, noticing the lounge is empty. "Sorry. I thought you weren't alone." She went towards Mina and then placed a paper box on to the table. "Here, I brought you some pasta. I know you're going in surgery soon." She then proceeds to massage Mina’s shoulder, then slowly towards her nape.

Mina hums, looking up. "Kiss me for good luck."

Tzuyu chuckles, "You don't need good luck, aren't you just supervising?"

Mina rolls her eyes but then smiles, "Then... Can I just ask for a kiss because I want to?"

Tzuyu contemplates as she looks around, wondering if someone would come in. Mina is still her resident, and she didn’t want to be the talk of the hospital. The last thing she wanted is for people to think she slept her way to the top, and not because of her talent. But looking down at Mina, she couldn’t resist her knowing she’s being this adorable. So she leans in and kissed her forehead. She laughs when Mina whines.

But before she can pull away, Mina pulled her by the back of her head, and meet her lips with hers.

 

“Are you going home?”

 

Tzuyu shakes her head and continues to massage Mina’s nape. “I’m gonna watch the surgery from the gallery. Cheer for Jeongyeon.”

 

At that, Mina bit her lips, a clear distaste seen her features. She opens the box immediately, trying to hide her face from Tzuyu. She mumbles, “Didn’t know you two are close.”

Tzuyu seems to miss the change in Mina’s mood, if she did, she brushes it off as Mina’s stress and tiredness. “She had always looked out for us. She’s a very good senior. Chaeyoung and Dahyun will be there as well. Intern Solidarity, as Dahyun would call it.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Tzuyu leans in and wraps her arms around Mina’s neck, kissing the side of her face. “Are you driving me home?”

Mina clenches her jaw and closes her eyes. She can be passive-aggressive with Tzuyu. But one thing she learned from her past relationship is that she shouldn’t go down without a fight. "Maybe you can come over and spend the night with me."

“Hmm… I’ll think of something to say to Dahyun and Chaeyoung.” The familiar sting is in Mina’s heart. So they don’t even know.

“I can drive them as well.” Wow. Mina just hit another level of pushover. 

“Really?”

Mina shrugs then snaps, “If you’re so worried about them finding out, then I’ll drive them home as well. Make some excuse about me being a good team captain or whatever.”

Tzuyu frowns, “It’s not like that. I just…--”

Beep Beep

 

“Gotta run. Lives to save--”

“Mina…--”

Tzuyu frowns as she watch Mina dash out of the lounge room, her food untouched. Did she say… something bad? BamBam told them Mina was in the bad mood today and Chaeyoung and Dahyun begged her to swoon Mina. Seems like she doesn’t have the effect she thought she has over the girl.


Mina really did try to be professional. Before Tzuyu came, Jeongyeon was the talk among the interns, one of the top-tiers, dubbing her as the Golden Girl. Mina would roll her eyes at this hospital's unrelenting nicknames. Jeongyeon, seems to be very flexible in all specialty, unlike other interns who focus on the specialty that they like.

 

And if Jeongyeon will be her colleague next year, then Mina would have to play nice.

 

But how can she when Jeongyeon is winning her friends over and the girl who’s supposed to be her girlfriend?

 

Her eyes twitched, and she would worry she might cut her lower lip, chewing on it for quite some time as she stares at the interns gathering around Jeongyeon, congratulating her. She did well on her Appendectomy. Didn’t miss any step, and even orchestrated the staff well-mannered and too organized. But she knows very well the appeal the short-haired girl have, even outside the OR. Pretty sure, if Momo isn’t taken, she would’ve fallen for her charms. So it’s really not farfetched for Tzuyu to be the same.

 

She taps her steering wheel impatiently as she watches Jeongyeon wraps her arm around Tzuyu. Something she didn’t do with the rest of the interns. Sure, she ruffled Chaeyoung’s hair. Sure, she high-fived Dahyun. But why does she have to wrap her arm around Tzuyu? And why didn’t Tzuyu shrug it off? In fact, she even looked like she’s blushing.

 

But Mina couldn’t be too sure. After all, she’s waiting (im)patiently in her car, just staring from a distance. And her judgment might be clouded by her jealousy.

 

She sees Jeongyeon whisper something in Tzuyu’s ear, and Tzuyu would shy away and respond something in her ear. By then Mina is ready to ram her car towards the lamp post, or them. She’s not so sure.

 

She is seething. Maybe she should have taken Sana’s offer of coming over and drinking.

 

She hits the horn harshly accidentally that made Tzuyu jump. And she would take pride in herself when she finally sees Tzuyu bowing her head and getting away from Jeongyeon’s touch. They seem to bid each other farewell, with Jeongyeon pouting in the trio’s direction. But Mina wouldn’t care. Because the trio is running towards her and she knew she had won this round.

 

“Doctor Myoui, sorry. We were held up.” Dahyun says as she opens the car.

Held up, my . Mina wanted to sneer. Instead she sends Dahyun a tight smile. “Sorry, I’m just tired.”

“Do you want to drink?”

“Chaeyoung—”

Chaeyoung laughs awkwardly and says, “What? It’s the least we can do—”

“Maybe not today Chaengie. I’m really tired.”

“Oh, sorry.” Chaeyoung blushes at the sudden nickname and both Dahyun and Tzuyu would look at the two confused.

When Dahyun and Chaeyoung were dropped off in their shared apartment, Mina started speeding up that made Tzuyu hold onto her seat a bit tighter. She clears and says, “Do you want me to drive? If you’re tired, I could—” Chaeyoung and Dahyun’s apartment are way off the route from Mina’s place.

Mina doesn’t answer, just turns the radio’s volume up and then hits the accelerator even more.

Tzuyu inhaled deeply and pressed her lips in a thin line, but when they almost ran a red light, she turns the volume down and says, “BamBam said you’re in a bad mood. Maybe you should—”

“What do you think of Jeongyeon?”

Tzuyu looks at her confused, “I uhm… I think she did really well awhile ago?” Is that even a question?!

“Not as a doctor.”

“As what, then?”

Mina shrugs. If Tzuyu wants to talk, they’ll talk. “Saw you two all cozied up this morning at the Doctor’s Lounge. And then just awhile ago, in front of your friends.”

Cozied up? What do you mean? And can you drive a little slo—”

Mina rolls her eyes, and decides to cut someone off on the other lane. Tzuyu’s eyes widen. Mina had never driven this fast before. In fact, Mina would always take her time driving Tzuyu home, that they could almost talk about different sorts of things. “Cozied up, as in you were sitting on her lap.”

Tzuyu gulps, “That’s… She was messing around. There wasn’t a space available—”

Mina tightens her grip on the steering wheel and raises her voice, “If there isn’t a space available, you could’ve stayed standing up! Not sit on her lap!”

Tzuyu wanted to explain the whole thing, but she recognize the tone in Mina’s voice and she knows this is a conversation Tzuyu will never win. So she concedes, “Okay, I’m sorry. It wouldn’t happen again.”

"And why would you let her wrap her arm around you like that? In front of your friends? When you’re so worried about them finding out about us?!”

Tzuyu sighs, and held onto the handle tighter. “We’re just friends. It’s not…-- Mina, can you pull over so we can talk? You’re making me nervous.”

Oh, I’m making you nervous? What do you think I feel when I have to watch you two—”

 

A loud horn was heard.

And Mina suddenly hit the breaks hard. She almost hit a car she didn’t see on the side. If they weren’t wearing seatbelt, Tzuyu would’ve flown through the window.

She looks to Tzuyu immediately, checking if she's okay. The girl in question has her eyes wide open, holding on to the handle by the door tightly, but is okay. If you meant physically. Mina breathes heavily as she pulls over to the side of the road. When she hits a stop, she immediately unbuckled her seatbelt and went out of the car screaming.

 

Everything is happening fast for Tzuyu, and she didn’t know she was holding her breath until Mina opens the door.

 

When she hears Mina screaming obscenities on the outdoors, she followed her.

 

Walking slowly towards her,, heart pounding, she says, “Mina, what’s going on?”

Are we dating, Tzuyu?”

“Mina—”

“You could've at least told me that you're seeing other people as well. That's just common courtesy, you know. And to think... " Mina wipes the tears in her eyes harshly and hisses, “You don't know how hard I've worked to be here... To trust again, to feel again, to heal. And I know it's wrong... Falling for you... I shouldn’t have…-- I thought I was just afraid to be alone. That I won’t find someone else. But… With you… it’s… I need to know…--"

 

Tzuyu envelopes Mina in a hug.

She wraps her arms around her trying to calm her down. At first Mina was fighting it. She is feeling a lot of things inside her and she wanted to let it all out, even though her words are incoherent. She didn’t want to confess. No. Not when she’s not sure what they are. This… is becoming all too familiar for her. If she closes her eyes, she might even see flashbacks. So she tries hard not to.

 

She’s not gonna put herself out there just to be left hanging. Not again.

 

When Mina got tired, she drops her hands from her side, and buried herself in Tzuyu, crying.

Tzuyu kissed the top of her head, and continues to run circles in her back, the other soothing Mina’s hair.

 

They stood there, in front of Mina’s car, just Tzuyu humming to Mina, apologizing endlessly. And every 'sorry' that comes out of Tzuyu's mouth is sending daggers in Mina's heart.

When Mina calmed down, she slowly looks up to Tzuyu with tear-stricken yes. “Are we dating?”

Tzuyu smiles at her, “Are we not?”

 

Mina’s eyes widen, and she her lips before answering, “Are you… Are you dating Jeongyeon?”

Tzuyu laughs, “Do you think I’d be someone who dates two people at the same time? At the same workplace?”

I hope not. But we can never be too sure. Sometimes you wake up and you just find out the person next to you is not really who you think they are.” Mina answers her truthfully.

“Fair enough.” Tzuyu fixed Mina’s hair, and put it behind her ear to see her clearly. She cups her cheeks and kissed both of her cheeks. “No. I’m not dating anyone else. I’m sorry if you have to see that. She’s… She is always like that with me. It was just hard for me to change it. It was easier if I just let her—”

I don’t like it.”

Tzuyu shuts and then nods. “Okay. It won’t happen again. I’m sorry.”


Tzuyu comes to the hospital the next day with a turtle neck.

And Dahyun and Chaeyoung had endlessly.

 

While Mina is doubting where they stand, Tzuyu had just assumed they were dating. Or at least in her head, it worked that way. To her, Mina's not the type to date openly, so she just assumed they were exclusive.

So Mina and Tzuyu decided it is time.

During lunch, they all sit together at the same table. Tzuyu told Mina, Dahyun and Chaeyoung knew. They had always knew. Even right after they first kissed, they knew. In fact, Chaeyoung was ready to go to the HR and report Mina but Tzuyu held her back. If Mina wasn’t the best resident for the trio, Chaeyoung and Dahyun would’ve had reservations for her.

 

Still it didn’t change the fact that Sana and Momo are their bosses.

So as they sit across from them, they can’t help but feel nervous.

 

But just like her reputation precedes her, Sana is fun when she’s not working. She regards them with a bright smile on her face, that almost made the small trio’s jaws drop. She was very friendly. They were not used to her being a complete 180: clinging to Mina’s side, laughing with Momo, and even giggling. She’s actually the one usually carrying the conversation.

 

But really… the takeaway… is even though seated from across each other, Mina and Tzuyu would find ways to hold hands, even from a brief moment.

 

As Mina look around the table, she couldn’t help but feel satisfied. This right here, is what she worked hard for.


"How can you not have told me?!"

"I didn't know--"

Mina glares at Sana, and pulls away when Sana tried to touch her. Momo looks at them confused, but tried to stand between them because Mina looks like she’s one step away from slapping Sana. And even Momo would admit, she got scared when Mina hissed at Sana, "How could you not have known? Your last name is plastered across the walls of this hospital, Sana! How can you not have not known?!"

...

On the other side Chaeyoung nudges Tzuyu, “Your girlfriend looks like she’s gonna rip Doctor Minatozaki’s hair.”

“What?”

Tzuyu didn’t have time to look because the Chief of Surgery, along with the new lady in a coat are already in front of them. The three of them straightened their posture and plastered the best smile without overdoing it. They bow their heads in sync and greeted the new addition to the staff. "Doctor Im, we look forward to be in your service.”

They hear a chuckle and the woman returning the greeting. They wait as they walk pass them before whispering.

Tzuyu follows her with her eyes in awe, “She’s my role model.”

Dahyun nods and snickers, “Oh yeah… You did say you want to be in Neuro.”

“I need to be in Neuro. And I couldn’t ask for a better mentor. She got two Resident Recognition. And I know I said I don’t want to be anyone’s favorite but I would kiss her if I need to.”

Wow Tzu. Don’t let Mina hear you, we all know how jealous she can get.”

...

"Mina."

"Doctor Im."

"Oh. So we're being formal now, aren't we?"

Mina keeps her cold demeanor, barely nodding to the girl standing right in front of her, ignoring the invitation to be friendly. She thought she was done. But seeing Nayeon this close… is sending her to a freefall, all those feelings she tried to hide, resurfaced like a dam breaking. She curls her hands into fists deep into her pockets, digging her nails into the palm of her hand. She clears and jerks her chin towards Nayeon, "Welcome to Minatozaki General Hospital."

 

Nayeon reaches out to her, holding her arm, and it would raise eyebrows to those who can see. But Nayeon doesn’t seem to care. She dips her voice lower and whispers softly, "Mina, can we talk?"

Mina shakes her head, and keeps her hands in her pocket. She’s afraid if she brings it out, she’s gonna swing it hard to someone. “Sorry, I’m busy. Patients to see.”

Then, Nayeon leans into her, closing their distance and Mina’s breath would hitch at the proximity. She would suddenly forget everything else around her, only focusing on Nayeon - just like she always does. "I've missed you Mina. And I'm here to win you back."

"That's a little too late, Nayeon."

"Mina, please."

 

And before Nayeon can reel Mina back in… to the vortex of her love, to the familiarity of it all, Mina steps back, jerking her arm away from Nayeon’s grasp. “Don’t talk to me like that anymore. We’re done.”

 

And Mina left. Just like Nayeon once did.