fin

The Plaid Shirt Girl

AUTHOR POV

It was nearly sunset, here in Jeju.. Yet Momo and her friends still noisily playing basketball on the court near the beach. Its been nearly an hour or so for them to play a 3on3 half-court match between each other yet none of them showed any sign of fatigue.

Well thats kinda make sense since six of them—Jeongyeon, Momo, Jihyo, Dahyun, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu, are part of their campus's basketball team so yeah.. playing a half-court game for an hour wasn’t really that tiring for them...

 

The six of them came here to Jeju wasn’t because of anything related to basketball or their club. They just came to spend a week of their summer break here, specifically in Tzuyu’s family Beach House that located not far from the court they’re currently playing at. Just few minutes of walk..

But well.. for ballers like them, ball is life. So no matter where they go, basketball match is a must. Especially if there’s a decent court that they could play at.

 

The match between them was of course not serious at all. Filled with laugh, pranks, and sometimes they stopped playing for making fun of anyone who got tricked by other’s skills. Call it fake passing, went passed the ball in between their legs and the noisiest was when someone did the ankle-breaker and they fell because of it. Chaos happened each time that happened and the person who fell down, need to swallow down the embarrassment for being laughed at and cooed...

 

The fun and casual game they had, suddenly become a bit more heated when Jeongyeon dared Momo to throw the ball from the middle of the court.

The main cause of that dare, was all because Momo kept boasting herself whenever she successfully threw a three-point shot. Saying things like she is the best shooter and so on.. Of course, the opponent—which is in this case was Jeongyeon, irritated by it… and that’s why Jeongyeon threw the dare.

 

"I dare you to score from the centre of the court."

"Hah! Piece of ca–"

"Backwards."

 

That definitely caught Momo off guard and washed away her cockiness

 

“Back…wards?”

"Yeap! Why? Are you scared? Does the best shooter of all time can’t make that kind of throw?”

 

Momo knew Jeongyeon is trying to provoke her. But Momo wasn’t the type of person who got easily be provoked and well she chose not to entertain Jeongyeon..

 

“Well I can do it if I want to. But there’s nothing at stake here except your hurtful pride.”

 

Loud ‘OH!!’ was erupted after Momo dropped the bomb. The rest of the girls were enjoying the unnecessary bicker between the two and hearing what Momo said made them reacted like how the crowd from some ‘savage-mocking’ shows reacted.

 

“How about this. If you made it, dinner is on me. Any kind of food you want, name it. I’ll pay for it."

 

Jeongyeon place the bet confidently, like she knew that Momo won’t make it. Plus, she needs to rise up the risk otherwise Momo won’t bother doing it.

 

"Really??"

"Yes. But if you miss, its on you."

"Fine. Cool! I'll do it. I'll make you regret it for sure!" Said Momo who then walked towards the centre of the crowd while dribbling the ball.

 

Well, after knowing that something is on the stake, Momo became pumped up and excited to do the dare. Not to mention the reward was food.

 

"Yeaaaah!! Free dinner!! WHOOP WHOOP!" Said Jihyo, Dahyun and Chaeyoung who clearly excited for the free food. While Tzuyu, she was too excited for it.. But she just clapped along with big grin on her face.

 

Well, Momo sounds confident earlier. She was so pumped up with the whole bet, already had few ideas for what menu she would ask Jeongyeon to buy her. But the closer she got to the centre, realization started to hit her how far the distance are… yes she is a great shooter, she knew that. And she had scored few buzzer beater shots from the middle before… But doing it backwards? It’s not about her skill… She needs luck.

And well.. Jeongyeon somehow could saw the nervousness by only seeing Momo’s back.

 

"What’s wrong Momo?? Afraid that you'll miss?" Asked Jeongyeon in such mockery way.

Momo who heard that slightly turned around and gave Jeongyeon a glare

"Shush! I'm trying to concentrate here." And she started to calm herself and prepare to throw the ball.

 

Momo was swaying her right arm like she simulating the throw. Yes, she was gonna throw the ball backwards with only one hand. Then she checked her distance with the ring, just to make sure she aligned with it.

 

Meanwhile without Momo knowing, her teammates had another bet between them.

 

“Place your bet. She’ll make it or not?” whispered Jeongyeon

"With that stance? Not a chance.” Said Jihyo and followed with agreement from Dahyun and Tzuyu. So with that, Jeongyeon decided to revise the offer.

“Okay then let’s change it to... oh! how she would fail this?! 5000 won she will air balled." Whispered Jeongyeon

"Nope. 5000 won that she'll throw it way over the ring." Said Dahyun

"I think it'll banged too much on the board and bounce off." Said Tzuyu

"You guys are underestimating her.. it'll at least touched the edge of the ring and went out." Said Jihyo

"Gee.. why none of you think she'll make it?" Asked Chaeyoung

 

The rest were giving Chaeyoung a surprised look, kinda amazed that she would say something like that.

 

"Ohoo.. so you'll bet she could make it?" Asked Jeongyeon

"I'm just saying that at least we should have faith on her you know... but anyway i bet the ball gonna flew too much towards the side."

 

The secretive conversation ended due to Momo's sudden yell

 

"I'm gonna throw it now!" Said Momo

"Whenever you're ready, Momo." Said Jeongyeon

 

Momo once again did the preparation by swinging her right hand to make sure she knew how she’s going to throw it.

 

“I’m ready to throw now!” the rest just looked at Momo amusingly. Holding her laugh because now they knew how nervous Momo is.. she sounded shaky.

“Yoo Jeongyeon, I’m gonna drain your wallet!”

“Not until you finally brave enough to throw the ball.”

“I will!!”

“Then do it!”

 

And after that, Momo's right hand finally threw the ball backwards. All eyes were on the ball, mentally hoping that their guessed was right, praying that Momo will failed. meanwhile Momo was clueless on what happened on her back

 

Until

 

*CREEACK*

 

"OH YES!!!”

 

Hearing a Creaking sound and also a cheer from her back, made Momo immediately turned around to see her friends. She was already full with excitement after hearing presumably Jihyo being all happy like that. But when she saw only Jihyo the one who was happy, she got confused.

 

 

“Uh.. did I make it?”

“Psh please… of course not.” Said Jihyo, half laughing.

 

Well hearing that was indeed a bummer for Momo. But she still confused because the rest of her friends looked grumpy and disappointed... That’s not how people who got free dinner face would look like.. And her confusion, soon be answered.

 

“Now now, pull out your wallet girls. Pay up! Give me my 5000 won.” With a grunt, everyone started to dig into their pocket and searched for 5000 won. And at this moment... Momo kinda have a gist on what’s going on..

“Wait.. were you guys having another bet on me?" Jihyo ignored Momo’s question and she just went to collect all her friends’ money.

 

“Don’t just stand there, Son Chaeyoung.” Said Jihyo to Chaeyoung who was just standing there with a big big grin—like she thought she won the bet too.

“Oh sorry. I thought eonni will collect it and then we sha—"

“Give me my 5000 won.”

 

There were a confuse pause after that. Chaeyoung who believed she was right, just confusedly looked from Jihyo’s hand, to her face for few times. And after Jihyo moved her finger—signalling Chaeyoung to pay, the younger started to protest.

 

"What? Why?? Why I have to give you 5000 won?”

“Because I’m the only one who guess it right while all of you were wrong. Including you. So pay up.”

“No! I was right! I said that the ball will go too much to the side and the ball went sideways!”

"Ei no no no.. the ball went sideways after it bumped the ring so no it's my victory. Come one give me my money." And with a disappointed wail, Chaeyoung took some money from her pocket and gave it to Jihyo

 

 

Well yes, like what Jihyo said. Momo’s throw was a failure and apparently, the ball went exactly like how Jihyo expected. It flew and landed right on the edge of the ring, then the ball somehow flew sideways and rolled out of the court...

 

“Got a free dinner and 20.000 won. Such a big win for me. Thanks, Momo.”

"So.. did Jihyo the only one who bet that I won’t score?” asked Momo

“No. Chaeyoung bet the ball went sideways, Jeongyeong bet you gonna throw an air ball, Dahyun thought you’ll throw it beyond the ring, Tzuyu thought it’ll banged the bo—"

"ALL OF YOU WERE BETTING THAT I WON’T SCORE???" Protested Momo.. feeling betrayed.

"Well.. couldn’t help it... the moment you warmed up with just one hand, i knew things won’t go your way." Said Jihyo and the youngest trio–Dahyun, Chaeyoung, Tzuyu– noded in agreement of their team captain.

“Oh my god I feel so betr—"

"Now now, eonni.. please go grab that ball so we can go to eat dinner." Said Dahyun

"Dinner that you paid! HAAHHAHAHA."

 

Momo threw glare towards Jeongyeon, the one who said that in such annoying way. Her friends.. well.. they laughed along with Jeongyeon and that made Momo kinda irritated. So she turned around and walked towards the ball that apparently near a car on the parking lot.

 

 

"Did you see the way she threw it? She was acting so cool with one hand, saying all those threats like she knew she’ll scored but then boom! Miss it ahahahah! Best shooter my …"

"I can hear you, Jeongyeon!" Said Momo as she turned her body a bit to yell that

"I meant to!!"

 

Momo was kept bickering with Jeongyeon while walking backwards. Her pride a little bit scratched because of the missed and Jeongyeon’s tease… Plus, Jihyo wouldn’t stop rubbing it on her. And the laughin from the three youngest trio made Momo kept hooked on the bickering, didn’t want to lose it..

But well.. she was too engrossed on countering her friends’ tease and didn’t realize that she was now nearly out from the court and near the car park. Until she heard a voice.

 

"Is this ball yours?"

 

Hearing a soft voice from behind her, made Momo cut the yelling with her friends and turned around towards the person.

 

"Ah sorry, yes that’s my...... god..."

 

Momo was ending her sentence in such weird way, and well out of context of course. But she couldn’t help not to let out that word after seeing the person who held her ball.

 

The person is a girl... different with her soft voice, she looks cool. Wearing an oversized plaid shirt, beggy jeans and a converse. Her hair was long and wavey, with a bit of combination of light brown and blonde. The girl’s looks was just.. wow. She looked both cool and pretty at the same time and Momo never quite astonished by a person's beauty like this.

 

Seeing Momo just froze while looking at her, it confused the girl of course. She tilted her head a bit to the side and waved her vacant hand to gain Momo's attention

 

"Mm.. hello?"

"Oh! I uh... i'm sorry.. doze off a bit there.. haha..” the plaid shirt girls just gave Momo a smile. A soft smile that sooth Momo’s heart right away.

“so, is this yours?” asked the girl

“Yes! That's mine.. uh.. wait.. did the ball hit your car?? Or or did it scratch anything?? Are you fine? Are you hurt? A–"

 

A scoffed that came from the girl made the panic Momo stopped her ramble. And then suddenly Momo’s chest somehow felt tight and her face felt hotter after the scoffed turned into a giggle.

 

"You need to calm down..." in between her giggle and after that she assured Momo that nothing bad happened, “I'm fine. The ball just rolled towards my car. But thank you for your concern by the way."

"Aah.. w-well..uh thank god if the ball didn't hit anything then..." Feeling embarrassed, Momo just rubbed her arm and looked at her feet, trying to avoid any eye contact.

 

 

"Mina!! Come on! Otherwise we'll miss the sunset!!" That voice came from somewhere way behind Momo

"Coming!!" And seems like it was the girl's friends..

 

"My friends called me so.. here, yours." The girl—Mina, gave Momo the ball.

"Thank you."

"You are welcome. Hope you can get better shot next time."

 

And after that, the girl went passed Momo as she walked towards her friend.

 

Meanwhile, Momo could only stayed on her spot, shifting her body as she followed where the Mina girl went and just dreamily stared at her. Then she saw the bright smile again as the girl greeted her friend.

 

 

"God.. she is so pretty"

><

 

After the whole thing that happened in beach court, now Momo and her friends already sitting and grilling jeju black pork meat in some restaurant nearby. Of course they already wearing fresh new clothes and showered away their sweats…

For the rest of the girls, it was a splendid and wonderful dinner. After a really tiring sight-seeing since morning and tiring match earlier.. now they about to end their first day on Jejudo with a great meal from local’s hidden gem—Tzuyu’s recommendation. Best meat, best side dishes, best drinks… and on top of all, it’s free for them. Well yes, except Momo of course.

 

“Whoa this black pork really taste different from the others I’ve eaten before....” Said Chaeyoung

“It’s taste good right?” and everyone gave Tzuyu a nod of acknowledgement.

“Well, it also tastier because we didn’t pay for it.” Everyone laugh at Dahyun’s word except Momo of course.

 

But Momo.. wasn’t really pay attention to her friend. not on purpose though… Momo was so busy in her own world, munching the meat while staring at nowhere with such a dreamy look. Which of course made the gang puzzled. Momo supposed to be grumpy and annoyed since she had to pay for everything they ate… yet she looked like she had won a lottery or something.. happiness was overflowing from her face.

 

“Hey, Momo... You good?” asked Jihyo who sat right across Momo. Still with the same smile, Momo gave her a nod

“You.. sure? You’re not drunk, aren’t you?”

“Nope~”

 

There was a pause after that answer. The girls were eyeing each other, feeling not sure and weirded by how Momo acted.

It’s rare for her to give such dreamy look and smiling wide like that except when she was drunk.. So Jihyo then eyeing Dahyun, gave her a signal to check Momo’s breath.

So, since Dahyun sat beside Momo, she went nearer to grab any scent of alcohol from the older one. But she smelled nothing but grilled meat.

 

“No scent of alcohol even a bit...” Said Dahyun

“Yah. What’s wrong with you?? You’re acting weird.” Said Jeongyeon while she nudged her.

“Me? I’m fine.. I’m fine… Just thinking about how beautiful jejudo is...” That made all her friends frowned their brows.. weirded by Momo’s words once again

“The scenery, the weather, the food, and especially.. the people here.. hah~ beautiful place.. beautiful place.”

 

And with that, Jeongyeon got the clue on what exactly happened to her best friend.

 

“oh damn… this girl is crushing on someone.. Quick! Look around!”

 

That made the whole squad automatically turned their body, looking for a beautiful person that might be the reason why Momo acting this way. Everyone scanning the whole restaurant with their eyes, trying to find any type of person that matched Momo’s type and maybe they could help Momo to get close to them. Or well… .

 

“She is not here..” said Momo, still with the same lovestruck look.

“What do you mean she is not here?”

“because she is not here. I saw her in different place.”

“Momo, today is our first day here and the only place we visited to just car rent store, Tzuyu’s beach house, supermarket, beach, and h—wait.. did you saw this girl at the beach?”

 

With that question a huge smile accompanied by a weird laugh came from Momo and she said,

“Yeah~ met the most beautiful girl ever at the beach earlier..”

 

The rest of the gang tried to think about at which moment Momo ever encountered such pretty girl in the beach because as far as she remembered, the gang was always together and never going separate way.

 

“OH!! I KNOW WHO THE GIRL IS!” Said Jihyo as she finally connected all the dots. “The plaid shirt girl from the court! The one who gave you the ball, Right??” And Jihyo got a nod for it.

“How does she look like?””

“Divine, Chaeyoung-ah. She looks divine.”

“She used big words girls. Someone’s fell hard here...” Said Jeongyeon

“Really eonni. What she looks like? We can’t see her from a far so we don’t know for sure..”

“Everything about her scream perfection… Like an angle.”

 

All the girls automatically hugged themselves, feeling all their hair suddenly rose up—felt goosebumps, due to Momo’s sappy word. Even Jeongyeon fake puking after hearing that.

 

“Whoa.. the girl must be so pretty…. never seen Momo eonni like this before..” said Tzuyu while she rubbed her arms, calming all her hair from all the goosebumps.

“Or maybe she exaggerated it due to her desperation of being single for her entire life.” Said Jeongyeon

“Hey! i’m not desperate! You’ll understand my feelings if you saw h—”

“Oh? That person look familiar..” Chaeyoung’s word cut Momo’s because she saw someone familiar entered the restaurant. But before the other responded to it, her face lit up and she excitedly greet the person, “OH!!! Sunbae! Myoui Sunbae!!!”

Chaeyoung’s excitement actually brought second-hand embarrassment to some of the girls as they automatically hid their face, pretended like they didn’t know Chaeyoung. She was too loud and definitely brought attention to the entire restaurant.

Even Momo who was in the middle of talking, stopped it and cover herself.

 

“I’ll be back in the moment.” Said Chaeyoung before she flee away towards the restaurant entrance, greeting the sunbae she knew.

“God.. her carefree-self sometimes makes her forget that people could feel embarrassed by her act.” Protested Jeongyeon

“But well.. kinda understand though why she acted like that.. I’ll be as excited as her too if that girl is my sunbae. Check out the entrance.”

 

Everyone, except Momo, turned their sight towards the entrance—wanted to see Chaeyoung’s sunbae. And after that, Jeongyeon gave a short whistle.

 

“Yah Momo, does the plaid girl you’re crushing on could beat chaeng’s sunbae?” Asked Jeongyeon

“Nope.”

“You haven’t even seen her.. take a look for a bit. If that plaid girl could beat her.. wow she clearly not a human.” Said Jeongyeon

“No one can be prettier than her, Jeongyeon.” Said Momo—refusing to turn around.

“Turn around and see for a bit. It won’t cost you anything..”

 

With no interest, Momo grunted yet still turn around. Didn’t expect anything since she knew it is impossible for anyone to beat the Mina girl’s beauty.. but soon after she had her vision on the restaurant’s entrance, she stunned for few second and abruptly turned around again to her previous position. Of course, that made her friends confused.

 

“what’s wrong? Not even near your girl?” asked Jeongyeon

“or Chaeyoung’s sunbae is way prettier and makes you way more nervous?” asked Dahyun

Momo swallowed her saliva hard and the used to be lovestruck looking girl, now looked so nervous “i-it’s her.”

“come again? Your voice is too low.” Protested Jihyo.

Momo took a deep breath before she revealed the truth to her friend, “Chaeyoung’s sunbae….. is the plaid shirt girl I met at the beach...”

 

Dramatic grasp filled the table not just because they’re shocked.. but also because they didn’t see it coming.. This type of coincidence is so rare to happen. Everyone in the table thought that it’ll be impossible for Momo to even meet the girl again. Knowing she met her at the quite busy beach. And there she is.. talking to Chaeyoung whom actually knew each other.

 

“Such coincidence.. wow..” Said Jihyo

“Oh god.. This whole situation gives me goosebumps again.. wow just wow.” Said Dahyun

“Oh oh Chaeyoung is back. And the girl is coming with her.” And that made Momo panic and she wanted to flee away to the restroom.

“I need to go to the res—”

“Nope. you’re not going anywhere missy. Sit here. Don’t be a wimp” Said Jeongyeon as she pulled Momo back to her seat right away after the girl stood up.

“I’m not a wimp! I just want to avoid being teased by all of you and embarrassing myself.”

“well.. that’s what friends are for.. right girls?” seeing all her friend answered Jeongyeon’s question with a nod, made Momo let out a deep sigh

“We can help to make her realize your deep feelings towards her. You know.. all the things you said earlier.” Said Jihyo

“Oh god no. please no! I’ll do anything for y—”

“Hey guys!”

 

*Bam* *clank*

 

the girls—Jeongyeon, Jihyo, Dahyun, and Tzuyu, tried so hard to hold their laugh after seeing Momo bumping her legs to the table. Probably startled due to Chaeyoung’s sudden greeting.

 

“Momo eonni, you good?” asked Chaeyoung and the embarrassed Momo could only nod—didn’t even turn around.

“So. I just want to introduce you to someone. This, is Myoui Mina.” The said girl gave a small bow in between Chaeyoung’s introduction

“She was my mentor during the orientation period and she is also my senior in my faculty. And sunbae, these are my friends. That is Jihyo eonni, she’s the club’s captain and in clock-wise… next to her is Tzuyu, then Jeongyeon eonni, this is Momo eonni, and that is Dahyun eonni.” And Chaeyoung completed the introduction briefly.

“Hello everyone, pleased to meet you.”

 

The soft voice that came from the girl felt so familiar for Momo and the memory of what happened in the basketball few hours ago, the face, the smile, the giggle.. everything was reappearing in Momo’s head.

 

“Hi there, Myoui-ssi.” Said the rest with big smiles. Of course, except Momo. The girl still sat with her back facing them and didn’t even dare to turn around.

“Are you here alone” asked Jihyo

“Oh no no. my friends will come here soon. They had a short stop at store nearby and I’m here first to secure the table for us.” And what the Mina girl said, made Momo’s heart calm down a bit.

“aah I see. Well, you can join us first while waiting your friend.”

 

Momo’s head automatically looked up towards her front—to Jihyo, and the latter slightly flicked her brows when she saw Momo gave her a shocking look. Yes, she was plotting something here and Momo didn’t like it

 

“Oh! Jihyo eonni was right! You can sit with us for a moment, sunbae” and thanks to Chaeyoung who didn’t know anything, Jihyo’s scheme could be proceeded.

“It’s okay I’m fine.. I don’t want to be a bother..”

“We won’t invite you if we thought like that. Besides, won’t you feel awkward to wait by yourself in this type of restaurant?” asked Jihyo

“Your table just right beside us so relax~ you can still keep an eye on it..”

“Okay then… sorry for interrupting.”

 

And with that, the Mina girl joining the circle. Momo still didn’t know whether this is a blessing or a torture. Because although she was simping over the girl since the moment she saw her, deep down Momo knew the chances for them to meet again was close to none. So the fact that the Mina girl is actually here, plus in the same university as her.. that’s a blessing of course.

Momo wasn’t prepared enough with this kind of twist and her heart couldn’t handle it. She is so nervous, yet she wanted to see the Mina girl again and talk to her. Maybe get closer and turned the ‘one-sided love at the first sight’ situation to be better than that. But with her friends around now? This gonna be a torture for her.

 

“Oh? You?” Momo who was focusing her sight on her plate got a nudge from both Jeongyeon and Dahyun and yes.. she had to pull her head up and looked to Mina

“We met at the beach, right? You’re the girl who tried to throw basketball backwards?”

 

Burst of snort erupted after the Mina girl reminded everyone about that embarrassing moment Momo had. of course, that made Momo’s face burned red.

 

“W-well.. y-yeah.. That’s me..” Said Momo with an awkward smile.

“Oh my! I-I’m sorry I didn’t mean to insult you or anything..” Said Mina and it was sincere one. The girl clearly looked like she didn’t mean to embarrass Momo like that.

“N-no! no.. i-it’s okay.. you don’t need to apologize.” And Momo got a soft smile after she said that. Which of course, worsen her nervous state.

“What a small world we live in, right? Didn’t expect that you’re actually Chaeyoung’s friend.” Said Mina.

“Y-yeah.. indeed and it’s scary too how destiny works.”

“Destiny huh??” Jeongyeon got a nudged from Momo after she with that question

 

In the meantime, Chaeyoung’s eyes darted from Mina to the embarrassed Momo, back and forth… trying to analyse the situation. And after a few second, she finally connected the dots

 

“Ah!! So she’s the plaid shirt girl you were talking about!” Said Chaeyoung innocently... didn’t even realize that what she said made Momo wanted to erase her existence from the world due to the embarrassment. The rest of the girls? Once again painfully tried to hold their laugh.

 

“Oops..” hummed Chaeyoung silently after she finally realized she wasn’t supposed to say that out loud. Especially with the said girl right beside her

 

Despite Momo being too embarrassed with what Chaeyoung just did, she forced herself to speak up, trying to save the situation and won’t make herself looked like a weirdo in front of Mina.

 

“W-well.. I uh.. Y-yeah I talked to them about you.. N-not bad thing of course! And.. and not weird thing too.. it just.. I uh.. I just. I just liked your SHIRT! Yeah! That.. I told them that the ball I threw bumped to some car and the owner was a girl in plaid shirt. I liked your shirt so… Y-yeah.. t-that..”

“You… like my shirt?”

“Y-yeah.. looked simple and..cool.”

 

All Momo’s friend tried with all their might to hold their laugh. Momo wasn’t a great liar and all these things were too fun to watch.

“Well.. thank you for the compliment... I guess?”

“You look cool too now!” once again Mina showed Momo a surprised face and that made Momo felt the need to clarify things

“I.. I mean.. that oversized tee you wear with surf board on it.. looks cool on you.. make you look like a surfer which is cool thing. Surfer is cool.. But but you’re not just cool you look pre—”

 

Momo’s nonstop compliment rambles suddenly stopped all because of Mina’s giggled. The soft sound of her giggle and despite her hand covered anything beneath her nose.. Momo still could see the girl’s eyes smile that formed like a crescent moon.. pretty and adorable..

“Thank you for your compliments..”

“Y-yeah.. no problem.. you deserve it.” Said Momo, half dazed.. still too astonished by the sight of Mina giggling.

 

Meanwhile, the rest of the girls observed the situation amusingly. They’re so amused with things that happened now. Yes, they knew that meeting someone new wasn’t really Momo’s forte. Each of them remembered how they first met her, shy and awkward. Although as time goes by Momo became more comfortable, the girl shown her loud and playful side which the rest of the squad already so used to it now.

But despite the memory of Momo’s shyness, they never see Momo acted as shy as this. Shaky voice, rambling, stuttered in every words, face filled with blush, constantly playing with her fingers, restless on her seat.. Everything about her screams NERVOUS.

Although they actually still want to see more amusing things, they chose to changed their plan from embarrassing Momo, to get to know more about this Mina girl and let their best friend breath for a moment... The main reason was because they’re pitying Momo’s current state who seems couldn’t take another tease or handled any embarrassing moment.

 

So after that moment, they focused on Mina and asked her many things. Started from simple thing as her studies, to few things about her trip here.

Momo? She couldn’t hear a thing. She was too busy in her own world, trying to collect herself and stop being so embarrassing. But honestly… All she wanted to now is go back to Tzuyu’s beach house and hide.

>><<

Next Morning

It’s still early in the morning, sun hasn’t even fully shown itself but Momo already up and doing her morning jog. Indeed this trip is actually their rest and relax trip, a gateway from all the school stress and other exhausting things. But Momo is Momo… morning jog is her routine and her body already been setup that way. So yeah.. here she was.. wearing her navy track suit, doing her morning jog

She ran with a drawstring bag hanging on her back, contained basketball in it. Once again.. for a baller, ball is life. No matter where and when, she will play basketball. Besides.. she needs to clear her mind from the chaos last night and basketball is always her number one cure.

Well.. yes the memories about last night still fresh in her mind.. it wasn’t really bothering her until the extend that it traumatized her.. she just kept thinking about it. Mostly thanks to her friends who won’t stop teasing her for the whole night

 

After she done with jogging around Tzuyu’s beach house neighbourhood, she went to the basketball court that she played at with her friends yesterday. It’s still early morning and of course the court was empty. But the beach wasn’t. there’s few people who already there, probably to enjoy the calming side of the beach when it less packed than usual..

Momo just casually pulled out her ball out of the bag and started her usual routine. Under-ring shots, layups, short range shot, three-point shot, dribbling with tricks routine… she did everything in cycle.

From outside, she just looked like a person who play basketball. That’s it. But inside, she kept talking to herself, trying to erase those embarrassing memories and remind herself to act calm and compose if maybe she had a chance to meet with Mina again. No more stuttering, no more weird and incoherent answers, no more make a fool of herself in front of Mina.

 

“Hirai-ss—”

“KYAA!!!”

 

The sudden voice from her back made Momo who was busy inside her mind let out a really high pitch scream. Which made the person who called her startled.

 

“oh god s-sorry.. I didn’t mean to startled you..”

 

Wait that voice..

 

Momo hurriedly turned around to see who’s the girl is and guess what? That was Mina. And once again Momo just made a fool of herself in front of her.

 

Great Momo. Just great

 

“W-well I uh.. a little bit startled but.. It’s nothing..” A smile suddenly appeared on Mina’s face after hearing what Momo said and the girl then said

“With that high pitch scream? I think the word ‘little bit’ is an understatement.”

 

And despite the sun still not fully shown itself, Momo’s face already burned red… thanks to her brand-new habit of making a fool of herself in front of her crush. Yes.. she admits it as a crush. Not gonna deny it.

 

But gladly Mina is different with Momo’s friends. When she saw Momo gets all fidgety and seems embarrassed about it, she dropped the tease and move from it

 

“I didn’t mean to startled you. I just parked my car and happened to see familiar figure playing by herself. I wasn’t really sure it was you at first because none of your friends here… But I test my luck and apparently it is you,” and Mina ended it with another smile.

“I was startled but.. it’s fine..” and Mina gave Momo a nod and a smile because of it.

 

“I don’t see your friends around..”

“Oh they are still asleep so that’s why I’m alone now.. and you? what are you doing here so early?”

“Me? I’m about to catch a wave.”

With confused face, Momo then said in such uncertain tone “catch a… wave? Playing on the shore?” and that made Mina giggle

“No.. Surfing. I’m here to surf.”

“Oh.. surfing…” there was a paused after that before the realization hit Momo, “SURFING?? You can surf?? You??”

 

Since Mina got this kind of reaction a lot, she once again laughed at Momo. But not just because of Momo didn’t expect her to have surfing skill, but also because of her face.

 

“I thought last night’s t-shirt gave you a hint? You know, the surf board oversize tee that you like?”

“A-aah.. that.. w-well, I thought you just bought it because it’s cool..” and that made Mina let out a small laugh again

“I really don’t look like the surfing type huh?” Momo nod her head.

“Well.. yes I can surf.. But I won’t say I’m a good surfer though…”

“Whoa.. you’re so cool..” yes.. Momo unconsciously let out that praise. It was a spontaneous acted since she quite surprised with the fact that Mina, a girl with graceful soft image, actually surfs.

 

“So, how about you?”

“Me? No I can’t surf. I can’t even ride ska—”

“No, no. not that..” she laughed first and then, “I mean why are you here early?”

“oh.. that.. well just doing my usual morning jogs and practice my basketball skill a bit.”

“So this is why you could be the Team’s Ace huh?”

 

Usually, the whole ‘Hirai Momo the campus’s Ace’ is a self-proclaimed thing and her friends will booed her whenever she declared that. But last night, her friends acting like a supportive wing-women and use that to make Momo looked cool in front of Mina, her new crush.

 

But instead of being all cocky like how she usually act, Momo became shy and being humble instead. “Well… Calling me an Ace is a bit too much… My friends are exaggerating things.. but y-yeah.. this is my routine.”

“Every morning?” and Mina got a nod from Momo.

“Wow that’s admirable.. looking how serious and hardworking you are,” and Mina ended her words with a smile that once again melted Momo’s heart.

 

“Well I don’t want to interrupt your practice and I have a wave to catch so.. see you around?”

“Y-yes.. yes sure..”

 

After that Mina bid a goodbye and walked back towards her car. Momo didn’t continue her practice. She just stared at Mina’s back. But once she saw the girl about to take down her surf board from the top of the car, Momo suddenly jogged towards her and cancel her plan to practice.

 

“Hey.” called Momo once she arrived. Mina was a bit startled but not as severe as Momo earlier. “need a hand?”

“with this? No I’m fine. It’s not that heavy.”

“Well uh.. it’ll be lighter if two people hold it.. right?”

 

Mina studied Momo first. Looking at her awkward and shy gesture which made Mina a bit confused with it. But knowing Momo been showing her this kind of behaviour since yesterday, Mina just took a wild guess that it’s just Momo’s personality—timid and kind. So Mina accepted Momo’s offer.

“Okay, sure. Thank you for your help.” Said Mina.

“It’s nothing.. oh wait. I’ll free my hand first.”

 

Momo then quickly put her ball inside her drawstring bag and then hung it on her back. After that she helped Mina pull down her surfboard and walked towards the beach. And well, like Mina said earlier.. the board wasn’t really that heavy.

><

From helping to carry Mina’s surfboard, Momo continued to sit on the shore while eyes locked towards the ocean. Yes, she stayed with an excuse that she’ll look out for Mina’s belonging. The truth is Momo wanted to see how Mina surf and of course wanted more chance to spend some times with her. Gladly even though Mina tried to decline Momo’s offer, she gave in and let Momo stayed to watch her things. Of course Mina declined not because she felt troubled.. but she just felt guilty if Momo had to sit there alone waiting for her to finish her activity while sun slowly burning.

It’s getting warmer each time passed by.. But Momo didn’t regret it. She was really glad that she could witness Mina skilfully playing her surfboard.

Despite Mina’s position was quite far from the shore, Momo still could easily spot her since not many people surf at that time and the girl was flawless when she surf. She made it looks so easy riding those rapid rolling waves. It looks like she’s playing skateboard on the ocean and Momo couldn’t help but awed.

After one final wave Mina rode, the girl didn’t turn back and paddled away from the shore to catch another wave but she came out from the water and walked towards Momo

 

Mina wore a rash guard swimsuit and a tight short. Her swimsuit wasn’t really revealing but Momo became so so nervous every time Mina came closer. Maybe because she looks so cool with holding that long surfboard with just one hand, or maybe the way she pulled out her hair tie and swirled her wet hair while she walked towards her.. dunno. Every thing about Mina just made Momo’s mind overheated.

 

When Mina arrived, she sticks her surfboard into the sand and slightly leaned on it as she spoke “Hey. sorry for the wait.” The slight breathless and smile she had, burned Momo’s circuit.

 

God...

 

“Momo-ssi?”

“Hm? OH! Uh.. Hi! I’m sorry I doze off..”

“While staring at me?” and that made Momo’s face burned red. Mina tried to hold her laughed after seeing the changed on Momo’s face.

“W—well.. uh i.. You were great earlier! Wow! You surfed so effortless and you’re like flying on the wave! What a pro!” said Momo.. yes, it’s obvious that she tried to change the topic and ignored Mina’s question earlier. Again, gladly Mina chose to play along.

“Thank you.. the wave is quite friendly today so it was fun. But you must be bored waiting here for nearly two hours.”

“It’s not boring and I don’t think it’s that long..”

 

Mina showed Momo her waterproof watch and yes.. it’s nearly two hours passed by.

 

“Oh wow.. I didn’t even realize it..”

“Well I’m better get clean up now so you can continue your vacation plan with your friend.”

“No need to rush.. They probably still asleep..”

“You sure?”

Momo gave Mina a nod and, “Maybe.. except Tzuyu. But the rest drank too much last night so I guess they’re all still sleeping.”

“Okay then.. you don’t mind if we stay here for a bit?”

“Sure..”

“I’m gonna clean up for a bit.”

“Yeah okay.. take your time!”

><

Few minutes had gone and Mina finally back with dry clothes and a bit damped hair. The girl went straight towards where Momo sat and wanted to take a seat right beside Momo. But before that, Momo who happened to noticed her intention, Quickly took off her jacket and laid it down on top of the sand,

 

“Uh.. Momo-ssi?”

“You can sit on my jacket.. You just changed to fresh clothes so.. yeah.”

“You sure?” Firm nods were given by Momo and with a little bit of hesitation, Mina sat on it.

 

After that, they just sat there.. side by side—enjoying the scenery. With the warmth of the sun, and a brief breeze these two didn’t say much and just watch the tide coming and go from the shore. People started to come one by one as day started to become brighter but it still not that crowded yet so the atmosphere still calm and silence.

 

“So uh..The scenery and weather.. kinda good huh?” Despite Momo’s voice a little bit cracky and sounds awkward, Mina still responded to it normally

“Yeah… But you should go here after sunset or night time. It’s a bit chilly and windy but it way calmer than right now.. like the one in ASMR vid.”

“You did that often?”

“Only if I’m on a trip with my parents.. I could sneak out and go here.”

“What about with your friends?”

“We did it yesterday. But as soon as the wind blew, Nayeon Eonni started complaining so not really a long-lasting moment.”

There were a pause after that, since Momo just nod at it. Until, “I.. think it’s not a bad idea though.. hang around at the beach post sunset time.. less crowded and we could appreciate the whole atmosphere that the beach offer.”

“So, wanna meet up later?”

“Ne?”

“You said it wasn’t a bad idea.. so wanna hang around here later while watching sunset?”

“w-with me?” Mina nodded at it

“Just.. the two of us? Here?”

Again, Mina gave a nod. “Unless don’t wa—”

“No! no! i-it’s not like that.. it just… I don’t expect you to ask me..” Momo paused a bit to calm down herself. She was too much in panic earlier since she was afraid that Mina took her intention wrongly. “A-anyway, I would like to hang around while watching the sunset with you. But maybe not today? Jeongyeon and Jihyo made a packed list of itinerary for our trip today so I’m packed..”

“aah.. I see. Maybe tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow sound good. I’ll try to make some time then.” And Momo got a smile from Mina.

 

Suddenly Mina gave Momo her hand and said, “Can I borrow your phone?”

“My phone? Sure..”

 

After Mina received it, she typed something on it and once she finished she gave it back to Momo immedietly.

 

“I saved my number on your phone. You can text me there incase there was a change of a plan.”

“Can i… text you in case I need someone to talk?”

Once again the sweet and soft smile Mina had reappeared as she said, “of course. And I’m looking forward to it.”

 

Just then

*BUZZ* *BUZZ*

 

The buzzing sounds that came from Mina’s small bag ruined the mood a bit and apparently, Mina’s friend Sana was the caller.

It seems like Sana was asking for Mina’s whereabout and the former sounds like she needed Mina to go back. How Momo could know? Sana’s voice kinda loud and Momo could hear it through the phone.

 

“I’m sorry, I think I need to go back now.”

“Something bad happened? Your friend sounds panic..”

Mina laughed a bit first before she explained, “I don’t know how they did it but apparently they created a mess while preparing breakfast for themselves and triggered the smoke alarm.”

“Oh my.. something bad happened?”

“No.. Sana said there wasn’t any fire. So I guess they’re probably forgot to turn on the smoke blower.. They might set the fire too strong, ended make the pan too hot and once they added something to cook, smoke floats around—triggered the smoke detector.”

“You’re friends… a little bit as chaotic as mine..” again, that made Mina laugh

“indeed.”

 

After that Mina stood up and took some of her belongings, ready to go back home.

 

“I need to go back now.. but uh.. are you want to stick around here a bit or.. go back to your friend’s beach house?”

“I think I’m going to go back.. started to get warm here.”

“Okay then. I’ll give you a ride.”

“Eh? But how’s your friend?”

“It’s not far from here, right? They could wait.”

“O-okay then.. but here, I’ll bring this, you can bring your bag.”

“It’s fine I cou—”

 

Mina hung her words after she saw Momo—sleeveless Momo, holding Mina’s surfboard and walked away at ease.

Since Momo took off her jacket and used it as Mina’s seat mat, Momo’s hidden arm muscle was covered and Mina would never imagine that girl with such cute and adorable appearance has a really ripped body. And because of that, Mina didn’t feel that guilty for making Momo carrying her surfboard.

 

“Oh my….”

>><<

The Next Day, Evening at the beach

Just like what Mina and Momo planned, they’re currently hanging around the beach to enjoy the post-sunset time. It’s already few minutes after the sun set and the sky already turned dark. It was indeed calm and beautiful like what Mina said.. But Momo could fully enjoy the whole scenery if none of her friends here.

 

Yes, apparently all her friends chose not to be a great wingwomen and let Momo spend her time alone with Mina. After they knew Momo was going to see sunset, all of them wanted the same thing and went to the beach right away—ignoring the fact that Momo wanted them to stop.

Not to mention they brought fireworks and played by themselves noisily, ruined the calmness that night beach provides.

 

“hhh.. I’m sorry my friends are so noisy.” Said Momo to Mina.

“No need to apologize.. My friends also contributed for the chaos.”

 

Yes, from Mina’s side too.. Her friends chose to tag along with her despite they’ve seen sunset few days ago and thanks to that, the group became way noisier than it supposed to be.

Despite the whole laughing, screaming, and chaos from the group, Mina and Momo sat few steps away from them. Had their own spaces as they trying to enjoy the scenery. And well, because Momo’s friends were so noisy, somehow Mina’s attention shifted to them and she just looked at them with a smile. Sometimes she let out a scoff if one of them did some stupid things.

 

“Pretty.”

 

That words slipped out of Momo’s mouth and made Mina turned her head towards Momo. There were a few second of silence after Mina shifted her sight. No one say a thing and they just looked towards each other. No not in some time of romantic gaze or anything. Both were buffled with the situation.

 

“W-what did you just said?” asked Mina

“Hm?” that question made Momo woke up from her stunned. “Aah…I-I mean the fireworks. Yeah. They are pretty..”

“ah.. Fireworks. Yes indeed..”

 

Safe….

 

Momo’s feeling for Mina is quite insane. She just met her yet she fell for her immediately. Then just with few short talks, the only thing Momo ever could think about is Mina and nothing more. As cliché as it sounds, yes Momo definitely had a love in a first sight and that feeling kept growing each time she’s with her.

Since Mina gave her number yesterday, they’ve been exchanging texts quite often. Notifying each other what they’re doing, gave scenery picture or food picture to each other… And Momo enjoyed it a lot. So did Mina.

Momo didn’t know where this feeling will bring her to or whether it would develop to something more intense, and in order to figure that out Momo needed to talk to her more and spend time with her more.

All Momo need is more time to spend with Mina. Get to know each other more and maybe as they got more comfortable with each other, as Momo started to gain her confidence, one day she would confess. But for now.. talking to Mina without stuttering and being so awkward is Momo’s priority.

 

“So, do you enjoy your stay in Jeju?”

“Yes. The foods are great, they have many interesting tourist destinations, the sceneries are beautiful and it less crowded than Seoul so perfect place to spend some vacation.”

“True.. Oh you should try to go back here during autumn. The scenery is breath taking.”

“Really?”

“Yes.. Wait, I’ll show you some picture I took when I had vacation here last year’s autumn.”

 

Mina then grabbed her phone that she put on her pocket and quickly went to gallery to show Momo some of the picture she took last autumn.

 

“Wow.. It’s beautiful!”

“Right? I’ll give you a list of hot spot for autumn tour in Jeju in case you want to visit here next autumn.”

“Why don’t we go here together?”

“Ne?”

“Ne?”

 

As dumb as it sounds, Momo really did parroting Mina’s words all because she once again couldn’t control herself for not thinking out loud. And that actually made Mina laughed.

 

“Why you always got surprised whenever you say something?”

“W-well.. I uh.. sometimes it wasn’t meant to be said out loud..” lucky Momo that currently her surrounding was quite dimmed so the blush of embarrassment on her face remained hidden.

Mina still let out a short scoff after hearing Momo’s answer but then she said, “I’ll agree with that but in one condition.”

“Condition?”

Mina nodded, “Once we go back to Seoul, we have to keep in touch and sometimes hangout together.. How’s that?”

“Of course, I agree. I was planning to ask you the same thing actually. But you beat me.”

“oh really? Thank god. I though I was the only one who enjoy our time together.”

“No… Although we only met for few days and talk for like short time.. I do enjoy your company… and.. kinda want to get to know you more…”

 

There was a silence paused as Momo gazed to other places—trying not to look at Mina’s face since just told some of her feeling, but that made Mina smile widely.

 

“So.. we had a plan for next autumn.”

“Y-yes.. And plan for when we back to seoul.”

“Right…”

“Oh talking about Seoul.. after summer break ends, we have few basketball match.. if you have time, maybe you could come and watch?”

“I didn’t know much about basketball buy yeah sure.. I love to.”

“Great.. that’s added to our plan list then?”

“Yes.. and maybe we could also schedule a shopping hangout.”

“Shopping? Why?”

“I want to introduce you to my favourite brand and store since you seems to like few of my clothes. Like the plaid shirt and my surfboard t-shirt..”

“aah.. yeah.. right.. t-that’s a great idea.”

 

It’s quite embarrassing for Momo to hear that because she partially lied about that… She just used Mina’s outfit as a way to run away from her embarrassment moment.. But she couldn’t say it…

 

“I’ll looking forward to it.” Added Momo

“Me too.”

 

One step at the time, eventually I’ll reach her.

 


AUTHOR NOTES:

Like i said in the foreword, this story is a refined and extended version of my post in twitter. 
I hope you guys enjoy the panic mess Momo here lol ^^

and oh.. pardon for few errors like grammar or any typo etc.. i didn't really double check this because i was behind schedule since i promised to post this within this week.. 


Anyway, thank you for reading and loving my story!! don't forget to leave some of your thoughts on the comment box below and click upvote if you like it!!

love,

Akkergo






Kamsahamnida