Chapter 1

Secret Life of Master Kim

Chapter 1

 

A young lad sat at the corner table meant for “the help”. He ate alone while a family he was technically a part of sat together in the dining room, talking and laughing while eating. They ate together, without him. But this was his life and there was nothing he could do about it. He was just the family’s “good for nothing son-in-law”. 

 

His life with this family wasn’t always like this. He used to sit at the table with them. They used to show him some respect. But the one person that protected him from their emotional and mental abuse had unfortunately passed. The family’s true colors slowly seeped out. They treated him like he was garbage, unworthy to be living amongst them. The young lad could only sit and think about how he got here in life. 

 

x x x 

 

Grandpa Hwang was what they called him. He was the previous head of the family. He really built the Hwang family to the status they are now today. They became wealthy because of him and the business that he had built. Hwang Group. Despite being an up-and-coming businessman, Grandpa Hwang was quite a charitable man. He was generous and very kind to those he met. He was different compared to the rest of his family. Money meant nothing to him. However, money and status meant the world to the rest of his family. 

 

Today was Grandpa Hwang’s second year death anniversary. The Hwang family gathered together at the Hwang Estate. The family estate was on 2 acres of land. Their house was rather large, but slightly outdated by today’s standards. However, their family estate was subpar compared to the other rich and powerful families in their city. 

 

The family was about to prepare a toast. The current head of the family rose to her feet. She was a lady in her mid to late sixties. She held up her champagne glass and looked at her family members seated around the table. She cleared . “My dearest family, I am sure our loved Jameson Hwang would be thrilled to know that we had gathered together to remember his life and the life that he had created for us…” 

 

While the lady continued her speech, the young lad felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. Trying not to gather attention in his little corner, he slipped the phone out of his pocket. Turning it on, he read the message on his phone and frowned. He couldn’t help but mutter, “” under his breath. 

 

“You. Shut up and don’t interrupt me in the middle of my speech!” Barked the lady towards him. 

 

He internally groaned and bowed his head in apology. “I’m sorry Madam,” 

 

“Yah! Kim Taeyeon, you better apologize in a better manner. Who do you think you are interrupting my mother like that!” Barked a middle-aged man. 

 

“Walter, enough. We mustn’t lower ourselves to the level of scum” Madam Hwang reprimanded. 

 

Taeyeon could only scoff to himself. His eyes scanned the family seated at the table. He clenched his teeth at how despicable they looked. But his eyes softened when he looked at his wife. He sighed to himself. His wife was a Hwang, but he was not treated as one. 

“That Kim Taeyeon is worthless! Why must we continue to tolerate his existence? Father is gone, we can make him go away!” Walter continued. 

 

A fist slammed on the tabletop causing everyone to turn and look at a middle-aged man. He stared at his brother and mother disapprovingly. “Shut up Walter. We all may not like this Kim Taeyeon. But he was still part of the will that father had left us. He arranged for him and my daughter to marry. Do you think I’m happy about that? That my beautiful daughter is married to a live-in son-in-law?!” He clenched his teeth and sent daggers towards Taeyeon. “This is still our father’s death anniversary and we must still respect him. We must follow his will accordingly. If not, we will never get our inheritance!” 

 

x x x 

 

Taeyeon could only scoff. Did they think that he enjoyed living with them? He was only in this family because Grandpa Hwang had taken him in. He was an orphan, but Grandpa Hwang had shown him respect and care through the years. Grandpa Hwang had been generous in raising him from his teens to his adulthood. He was given a roof over his head, food to eat, clothes on his back, and a sustainable life. But when Grandpa Hwang had grown ill, Taeyeon’s life was starting to go down. 

 

The rest of the Hwang Family expected to get rid of Taeyeon the moment that Grandpa Hwang had passed. What they did not expect was that this Kim Taeyeon orphan was going to be part of the will. What angered them the most was that Kim Taeyeon’s portion of the will was put in, a week before Grandpa Hwang’s passing. From then on, they assumed that Taeyeon was nothing but a smoocher. That he had somehow convinced their dying head of family to write him into his will. What they didn’t know… Grandpa Hwang knew something that they didn’t.

 

“Anyways… everyone let's toast to Grandpa Hwang for the life of prestige that he has built for us!” Smiled Lady Hwang.

 

Slightly raising his own glass, the young lad took a sip of his own drink. “Hope you’re doing well up there Grandpa Hwang,” he whispered to himself before turning back to the message that flashed on his phone. 

 

[From: Unknown]

 

Young Master Kim, your father’s health is beginning not to do so well. 

He wishes to see you at least once before he passes. 

He knows you’re still upset and can never forgive him. Please take your time to make a decision. 

 

Best Regards, 

Song Seung-Heon

 

He closed his eyes and clenched his teeth. What was he going to do? Just as he was about to respond to the email. He felt a hand touch his shoulder, causing him to slightly jump in fright. Quickly straightening up, he turned to look at the person. A slight flame ignited him. But the flame quickly went away as he saw who had touched him. His eyes met a pair of beautiful hazel eyes. They were warm to look at and quite enticing.

 

When their eyes met, his heart pounded against his chest as those beautiful eyes turned into the shape of moons. He quickly snapped out of his daze and smiled back. Taeyeon cleared his throat before speaking, “Hello, is there anything I can get you?” 

 

The crescents quickly vanished and her smile went away. “Yah! Don’t talk like you’re the help. Because you know you are not!” The beautiful young lady said quietly. 

 

The young lad chuckled as he looked at his wife. She was extremely beautiful. The most beautiful of Seoul Hills. “My apologies, but if your family hears me talk to you casually… I’d be dead meat!” He joked playfully. 

 

But the joke didn’t make her laugh, it made her heart feel heavy. “I’m sorry Taeyeon…” 

 

Taeyeon’s brows furrowed before he raised a brow. He tilted his head like a dog and asked, “Sorry for what?” He was genuinely confused to where the apology came from. 

 

Those beautiful eyes looked down to the ground, not wanting to make eye contact with his. She fiddled her thumb and softly said, “For how my family treats you.  You don’t deserve any of this…” 

 

“You mustn't worry about me, dear. For I am your husband and therefore I must be tough and endure it all!” He said confidently. It was true, he was her husband and he must not show any signs of weakness for the sake of his wife. Most specifically, his wife’s reputation. “You must go back before they find out you’ve been gone for so long. 

 

“Okay, Taeyeon. I’ll see you in a bit” she said before giving his shoulder a pat and walking away.  

 

The rest of the family gathering went by quickly. They all shared stories and continued to insult Taeyeon. But he was just glad to have been able to celebrate Grandpa Hwang’s death anniversary. Before long, Taeyeon, his wife, and his in-laws were finally home-bound. Taeyeon could only be thankful that the car ride home was quiet. Maybe due to the occasion or maybe due to a tense atmosphere that no one dared to speak. 

 

Upon arriving home, they all went into their house and straight for their respective bedroom. Taeyeon and his wife went into their shared bedroom. Taeyeon motioned for her to quickly go in first to use the bathroom. She gave him a small smile before she slipped into the bathroom 

 

He let out a small sigh as he reached into his closet and pulled out his beddings. He laid them on the floor next to the bed. As he heard the shower starting, Taeyeon let out a sigh. He pulled out his email and read the email once over again. Questions filled his head. Should he answer back? Should he even bother to meet with his father? Before he was going to send an email to decline the meeting, another email had gone through. 

 

[From: Unknown] 

 

Young Master Kim, 

 

I am sorry to email you once again. Your father knows of your current distress and situation. Although his actions can never be forgiven, he at least wants to give you a better life. 

When you are finally ready to come to meet him he will be here waiting. For the time being, Lord Kim has bought out the large prominent company of Seoul Hills, 11:11 under your name. Additionally, we have created a bank account for your own spending needs. Please give me a call at xx-xxx-xxx-xxx. 

 

Best Regards, 

Song Seung-Heon

 

The young lad let out a sigh. He rubbed his head in confusion and in slight distress. He sat with his head in his hands trying to think of what he should do. Taeyeon was in deep thought that he did not hear the bathroom door open. 

 

“Taeyeon, are you okay?” Asked his wife. 

 

Quickly sitting up straight, Taeyeon smiled softly and nodded, “I am doing fine Tiffany. Thank you for your concern,” 

 

Although they were married for nearly four years now, they weren’t completely like husband and wife. They slept separately and they were not at all physical with each other. They were only husband and wife by law and by Grandpa Hwang’s dying wishes. But that didn’t mean they did not care for one another’s well-being. 

 

Getting up from his spot, Taeyeon grabbed his towel and a pair of his pajamas and headed into the bathroom. Once the door was closed, he leaned against the sink and pulled out his phone. He quickly copied the phone number from the email and sent the number a text. 

 

[To: Song Seung-Heon]

This is Kim Taeyeon. 
Please meet me at Cafe Zero 
Tomorrow at 11:30 am. 

 

As soon as he sent the text message, a reply came quickly to his surprise. 

 

[From: Song Seung-Heon] 
Yes, young master Kim. 

 

Setting his phone down, Taeyeon heaved out a heavy sigh before getting ready for bed. 

 

When he was finally comfortable in his makeshift bed, he looked up at the ceiling deep in thought. Things were going to change. He was going to teach those who judged him a lesson. He was just about to become the most powerful human being in Seoul Hills. 

 

That night, he slept the best he had ever slept in years.