In love and competitions, everything counts.

SPELLING OUT LOVE

 A beautiful day in summer. The school year is coming to an end and the students are r unning out of the facilities as soon as they finish their schedules, trying to get as far away as possible from the stress of final exams. 

 

All except a certain student who is preparing for what will be a pitched battle. The "Annual Spelling Bee", an event in which the most prestigious universities in the capital compete. 

 

This year, as expected, K University has taken the lead and made its way to the grand finale. With Byun BaekHyun as the President of the spelling club, star competitor and winner for 3 years in a row. He is expected to win this year as well. 

 

However, this year's competition seems to be closer. S University has a strong representative, Doh KyungSoo, who is competing for the first time and has earned a spot in the finals so easily that he has managed to surprise all the loyal intercollegiate spelling fans. 

 

"Will Byun BaekHyun lose his title of invincibility this year?"

 

Baek doesn't like to hear that as he walks down the corridors, he's definitely going to win. He'll make sure he will, as his name is Byun BaekHyun. 

 

He walks with all the grace and glory God gave him, swaying his hips from side to side, approaching his prey with stealth. And avoiding the lustful glances of some, if not all the gay guys in the faculty. 

 

Baek has no time to deal with his popularity. He must act now or he could lose his fourth trophy, plus the hefty income he records thanks to sponsors, generally old millionaires who don't know what to spend their money on and think that spelling is a good option.  

 

Not that he needs the money. Because after all, to be in his university you have to have a high socioeconomic level. But Baek could use a few thousand dollars more. And well, his honor as a spelling bee champion is also at stake. He won't accept defeat. 

 

No one knows this, but Baek has contacts within the Spelling Bee organization. A friend of his brother BaekBeom, who in his time gave three trophies to the University, has kindly offered him the name of one of the three jurors for the finals. 

 

And as the current president of the spelling club, he should make sure to visit the prestigious committee member. That's why he approaches the only occupied table in the library, where there is only one man. 

 

Park ChanYeol.

 

The most studious guy Baek has ever met. 

 

Park ChanYeol is the president of the Debate club, the founder of the research club, an animal protection activist and one of the committee members in charge of the Spelling Bee. 

 

With his perfectly slicked back hair, retro glasses and oddly patterned ties. Baek swears everything about him screams Nerd. 

 

And he loves it. 

 

Baek fell in love with ChanYeol at first sight. And he may have been seeing him from afar for four years, just as he may, or may not, have gotten their schedules to casually overlap in at least one of his classes each cycle and have minimal interactions. 

 

And yet, ChanYeol doesn't seem to notice the shorter one. Not even though Baek is the most popular guy in the Department of Letters. 

 

BaekHyun takes a deep breath before sitting down across from ChanYeol, who is still holding his book, totally focused on his reading as if to realize that he is no longer alone. 

 

—Hi, ChanYeol, — Baek blurts out, causing the taller man to jump in shock. 

 

Big, round eyes open wide behind the thick lenses of his glasses. And Baek finds it adorable. 

 

-Ehm, hello... -His voice is thick as always, it gives him goosebumps. 

 

-I'm BaekHyun, Byun BaekHyun. We take English Literature and Grammar together. 

 

-I know, we've shared courses since first year- ChanYeol looks at him for a second, then another and then another until ten pass, and finally realizes he's waiting for him to explain why he's sitting across from him when he has more than ten tables fully available. 

 

- I came because I heard from a little bird that you were selected as a judge for the contest and I wanted to congratulate you, - Baek extends a hand towards ChanYeol over the table, while blinking prettily, and lowering his voice - You know I'm going to participate in the final, right? 

 

Maybe it's not the best way to start, and from what he's seen of ChanYeol in the four years he's known him, the guy hasn't shown interest in girls or boys. But Baek sees him gulp dryly as he his backside and gives him hope. 

 

ChanYeol's voice comes out shaky when he speaks and his eyes completely avoid her gaze.

— I-I didn't know. Congratulations, I hope you're doing very well.- The body expression tells him that he feels uncomfortable and wants him to leave, but Baek stays still in his place- Ehm.... Can I help you with something? 

 

-ChanYeol, you have such big hands,— Baek gently moves his slender fingers to link them with those of the taller one, — They look so rough. They would look great if they took my delicate hands. 

 

The man in front of him looks at him with bulging eyes, and Baek knows it. ChanYeol doesn't look straight, at least not enough to be immune to his charms. 

 

-I'm sorry, BaekHyun. I don't know what you mean...— he starts to say, but Baek interrupts him by placing a slender finger on his lips. 

 

It's time to start with his plan.

 

-Do you think I'm pretty, Chan? —  ChanYeol looks at him as if in a trance and nods. - I'm gathering all the courage I have right now, so I need you to listen to me. Would you do that for me? 

 

At the confirmation Baek rises from his seat to sit beside him, brushing his fluffy thighs and hips against the big-eared boy who looks at him like he's some kind of wonder. 

 

God, he just wants to hug him and shower him with kisses for how confused he looks. 

 

But Baek has a mission and he repeats it to himself as he grabs the taller guy's face and turns it to meet their gazes. 

 

-I like you so much, ChanYeol. 

 

"You can't imagine how much". He thinks, but scolds himself for getting distracted. 

 

-What? H-how? 

 

ChanYeol can't get over his astonishment. He never thought to hear that from Byun BaekHyun. 

 

- I like you, you know...like liking boyfriends, that kind of liking. And I like you since freshman year.- BaekHyun uses his secret weapon to captivate hearts, the pout, and sees ChanYeol looking at his lips- Why are you so quiet, I just confessed, don't you plan to say anything? 

 

-I don't know what to say. God, BaekHyun, are you sure you like me? Me?

 

-I do like you! 

 

-Do you really? 

 

BaekHyun doesn't believe it, ChanYeol is questioning his feelings instead of giving him an answer. 

 

-I'm telling you the truth, giant. I like you very much. Please go out with me. 

 

It doesn't seem to be enough, because the next thing ChanYeol does is grab his book from the table and walk away - I'm sorry, BaekHyun- he shouts while running at the speed of light.  

 

What the ?

 

Did he just reject him? 

 

BaekHyun watches him disappear into the distance and is speechless. He's about to get up to leave with his heart shattered when he sees Chan running back even faster than before. 

 

ChanYeol reaches the table, holding his book and a flower in his hand, breathing heavily. - Oh God, I'm out of breath. Please don't go away. 

 

He doesn't know what to say, so he decides to admire the reddened ears of the taller one who now looks a little better.

 

He's thinking how cute he looks even sweating, when ChanYeol stands up straight and holds out the flower to him- I agree to go out with you, please take this flower as a symbol of my good intentions. 

 

BaekHyun's cheeks blush as he takes the flower in his hands and feels like he's in one of those romantic scenes worthy of soap operas. - Where did you get this white rose? 

 

- I plucked it from the garden outside. - ChanYeol takes a step closer and Baek feels her warmth - BaekHyun, I like you a lot too. Will you let me hold your hand? 

 

WHAT? 

 

His mind is blank but his body knows what he wants, and that's why he finds himself nodding and reaching out his hand until he reaches ChanYeol's big one. 

 

It's warm and soft and a little sweaty, but Baek doesn't mind. He never expected to do this kind of thing with ChanYeol and it excites him. 

 

ChanYeol looks sideways at him with a smile - I'm sorry, I've never done this before.... I'm, sorry I'm nervous and, you're really cute Baek. I can't believe you like me. 

 

-Well I was nervous too, you know? 

 

-But you're gorgeous, no one could refuse. 

 

Baek blushes at the compliment and takes a few small steps dragging ChanYeol out of the library. - Let's get something to eat and get to know each other more, it's our first date. 

 

ChanYeol can't refuse when he asks him with his eyes shining and such a cute smile.

 

They walk a little further until they reach the establishments inside the campus. Some classmates stare at them. ChanYeol knows it's weird to see a beauty like Baek holding the hand of the nerdiest nerd in the university. He tries not to express his discomfort so Baek won't let go. 

 

- So Chan, tell me about your family. I know the Park's are in the real estate industry, but I want to know how they get along. 

 

And ChanYeol tells him everything. He never had anyone to talk to about how angry he was about his older sister YooRa using him as a personal assistant, or how much he loves his mother and would give everything to see her happy, or that he admires his father and hopes to become as good a man as him in the future. But now it's different, Baek listens to him and smiles at him as he nods and rubs his hands together. 

 

ChanYeol doesn't lie, it feels really good. 

 

Even listening to Baek tell him about his family is entertaining. The shorter one is very explosive, with all those mimics and gestures with his hands that he does when narrating a story. 

 

So cute. 

 

He finds it incredible that someone as brilliant as BaekHyun had just confessed to him a moment ago. But he lets the hours pass, enjoying his company. 

 

They buy some desserts and continue talking. 

 

They talk about their grades, their classmates, their professors, their hobbies, their goals, their dreams and so on. They talk so much that they don't notice when the sky darkened. And it's not until eight o'clock in the evening that they leave the coffee shop. 

 

ChanYeol offers to accompany him home and who is Baek to deny the cute boy anything. 

 

He feels his heart thud with little details that don't go unnoticed, like ChanYeol standing on the side of the cars when they walk on the sidewalk, or his warm hand gently grabbing him and slowing his pace knowing that the smaller one has a hard time catching up. 

 

BaekHyun doesn't know how but he ended up hanging on the taller one's right arm. And he settles in as he leads the way home. 

 

They are talking about anime when they arrive in front of the shorter one's door and ChanYeol pulls him close to her body, taking him by surprise. - Good night, BaekHyun.

 

The shorter one reciprocates his hug and they part - Have a good night too, Chan. 

 

They exchange numbers and ChanYeol leaves as he sees the cute guy enter the big mansion. 

 

On the way home, Chan thinks to himself that he'll enjoy all the time he has with BaekHyun. 

 

 

***********

 

 

The next day, at the university and after finishing his practice, BaekHyun texts ChanYeol as he leaves his classroom.

 

He doesn't notice the tall boy waiting for him, until he hears a Baek by way of a whisper and turns around in fright. 

 

ChanYeol is there, standing in all his glory, his glasses gleaming and wearing a plaid shirt and matching bow tie. He finds him adorable. 

 

-Hey, Chan! - he greets, some classmates behind him looking at them curious. 

 

ChanYeol takes a step back, moving a little away from the smaller one. Feeling uncomfortable to receive attention. - Hey...

 

-I just wrote to you, I wanted us to go on another date. Do you have a class later?  

 

-Ehm, I'm done with my classes for the day. If you want to go for a drink. 

 

-Perfect, let's go. 

 

Used to the whispers, being the center of attention was nothing strange to BaekHyun, perhaps that's why he didn't mind the surprise of his classmates when he saw him holding hands with the taller one. 

 

ChanYeol, on the other hand, tried not to take his eyes off the ground as they moved forward. 

 

 

*********

 

-...And now my brother can no longer eat seafood without fear. That's how he learned not to mess with me.

 

ChanYeol let out a loud laugh, his hands clapping and patting the table. Frankly, BaekHyun feared that one of those hands would hit him. 

 

-Heeey, take it easy.

 

-Ah, yeah. Sorry, my laughter may be a little....

 

-Don't worry, I like your laugh. 

 

Baek his cheek in an affectionate gesture, making the taller one blush. -Hyung... 

 

 

- Hey, don't call me that. I'm not that old.

 

 

Hardly anyone called him Hyung due to the fact that Baek was always the youngest among his family and his few friendships. Hearing a boy who was almost a head taller made him feel strange. 

 

-Ah, I'm sorry. So, just BaekHyun?— asked ChanYeol as he took a sip of his milkshake. 

 

-If you want you can call me sweetheart or love,— Baek winked. 

 

Flirting wasn't among his favorite activities but with ChanYeol it came so naturally.

 

And his reactions were worth it. 

 

Like now, he was coughing exaggeratedly. He handed him some napkins and pulled his chair closer to help him dry off. Leaning over to give him a peck on the cheek. 

 

-You're so cute— he whispered. 

 

Chan looked up at him with his big eyes wide open. 

 

BaekHyun reminded himself that he was doing all this to get his to help him in the contest, but frankly he was enjoying it. 

 

So he leaned over to drop a quick peck on the taller one's lips. 

 

- Very handsome, Chan. 

 

- What? You... Did you just kiss me?

 

Did that even count as a kiss? 

 

BaekHyun didn't believe it, to him that wasn't a kiss, that's not how the novels he read described it, but he nodded anyway.

 

Seeing the blush spread to ChanYeol's ears was satisfying. Even if he felt his cheeks heat up too.

 

He wasn't ready to feel big hands holding his face. 

 

 

- And I can kiss you too? - whispered that deep voice. 

 

He was less ready for that question. Thousands of butterflies started a pitched battle in his stomach. BaekHyun felt his breath go out of him. 

 

Was it wrong to give his first kiss thanks to a plan?

 

Damn, BaekHyun didn't expect it like this. But to be honest he doubted the boy of his dreams would ask him that question again in another situation. 

 

So he nodded and closed his eyes when ChanYeol brought their faces closer. His fingers on the table curled as a soft, warm weight crashed against his lips. 

 

And he felt himself being lifted, upward upward upward upward and beyond the sky. 

 

ChanYeol had soft lips, slightly moist and very warm. He thought it would be a peck, but one turned into two and two turned into three, and well ChanYeol didn't seem to want to stop the kissing for quite a while. Then yes. BaekHyun was getting his first kiss. 

 

With the boy of his dreams. 

 

The thought made him smile, and ChanYeol seemed to like his reaction because he tilted his face a little and did the same to kiss him more easily. 

 

Baek started kissing him back and at a certain point it started to feel addictive. So much that it made him shiver, ChanYeol took the opportunity to capture his lower lip and when something wet entered his mouth, Baek broke away suddenly because he felt his heart was going too fast. 

 

BaekHyun smiled and his fevered little eyes glistened as he took a breath, his hands clutched at the table. ChanYeol beside him looked at him as if he was something divine and Baek felt like kissing him again- Chan, Can we go somewhere more private?

 

And that's how they end up in the private room of the spelling club. With Baek being squeezed between strong arms and ChanYeol attacking his mouth with his curious tongue. 

 

It feels weird, wet and hot. Now he knows why people get so stupid when paired up. Baek doesn't want it to end but he's not good at holding his breath and they part quickly. 

 

ChanYeol keeps staring at him and Baek feels self-conscious. 

 

-Why are you staring at me like that? 

 

- You are soft, I mean your skin and mouth. They are soft. 

 

The cute guy doesn't know what to say to that. 

 

- Thank you, I moisturize myself every night before going to sleep. - His gaze is fixed on ChanYeol's chest against which he is leaning. - You're strong, I didn't know you worked out. 

 

ChanYeol coughs a little, embarrassed. 

 

-I do, I go to the gym every day. I like to carry weights. 

 

-I can feel it. 

 

It's uncomfortable and yet Baek doesn't feel the need to move away. Their lips are tingling from the amount of kisses they've given each other. And ChanYeol is caressing his sides while holding him close to his body. 

 

-So... you're practicing for Tuesday's final?

 

-Yes, well...

 

 

It's time, it's now or never. BaekHyun knows it. He must make the final move and convince ChanYeol to help him win. 

 

 

-I'm a little afraid, you know? - His hands caress the strong pecs in front of him - Those guys Doh and Oh look very talented. I might even lose for the first time, and I don't want that, it's my last year and I want to leave with my head held high.

 

 

His little face scrunches up against the taller one's neck and he lets out a pitiful sigh. 

 

 

-Oh, don't say that Baek. I'm sure you'll win, you're so talented.... Hm~ Baek, what are you doing to my neck? 

 

- I'm giving you kisses, don't you like it? 

 

 

-I like it!

 

 

Baek nods, and keeps depositing soft kisses on the long neck, moving up with a little effort to his left ear- Chan, could you help me with the contest? 

 

 

-Hm, help you?— ChanYeol lets out in a whisper, concentrating on the tingling of the little guy's lips, — Sure, I'll help you, what do you need? 

 

 

-Oh, nothing too difficult? Baek jumps a little and leaves a peck on his lips before blinking flirtatiously at him- I just think it would be nice if you could assign me words not so difficult, -as he brings ChanYeol's face closer to his he sees his eyes follow the path of his tongue. Could you do me that little favor, Channie? 

 

 

-Of course I can, pretty boy. Don't worry about it. 

 

 

And BaekHyun smiles before their mouths and tongues collide to explore each other further. 

 

 

As the minutes pass and the heat builds, somewhere in the back of his mind beyond the haze that ades him, he wonders if it's wrong to ask this to ChanYeol. But he quickly dismisses it because the taller one is doing something with his tongue and kissing him so well. 

 

 

So but so well that BaekHyun can still remember him lying on his bed and ready to sleep. A smile on his face and he doesn't know if it's because of ChanYeol or because in less than three days he'll have a new trophy with his name on it. 

 

 

**********

 

 

The days are flying by. ChanYeol is such a sweet boy, Baek feels like he melts with all the cute messages he sends him and the small but romantic moments when they see each other. 

 

 

Some classmates are surprised to see him kiss ChanYeol in the hallway on Tuesday morning. 

 

 

ChanYeol wishes him luck with a tight hug and Baek makes a heart with his fingers. 

 

 

- Chan, don't forget what I asked you.  

 

 

-Relax, Baek. Count on me, I'll try to give you not so difficult words. You'll do well, I'm sure you'll win, honey. 

 

 

BaekHyun doesn't resist the bright eyes that look adoringly at him and pulls him close again for another kiss. 

 

 

- I like you very much, ChanYeol. Don't forget that. 

 

 

*********

 

 

When he enters the auditorium everything is already prepared, he quickly walks to the contestant area and bumps into Doh KyungSoo who looks at him with his round eyes and serious countenance. Oh Sehun on the other hand, approaches them totally relaxed and greets them by waving his hand. 

 

-What's up? Are you ready to lose? - Sehun asks confidently. 

 

 

But Baek laughs, — Oh, you wish. I'll take the trophy this year too.  

 

 

Doh Kyung Soo smiles a little before rolling his eyes, — Don't be so sure, it may be my first contest but I'm not going to let them off easy. 

 

 

- Well, we'll see. - BaekHyun looks past the area to the jury, where ChanYeol is standing tidying some sheets, and seems to feel his gaze because he instantly raises his face and their eyes meet. BaekHyun sends him a blown kiss that blushes the taller one and Baek is about to laugh when Sehun demands his attention. 

 

 

- Byun, they are calling us. 

 

 

An attendant recites the order in which they are to stand on stage and Baek is the third. This gives him a certain advantage, because if any of the others make a mistake, he's sure to win.

 

 

The contest begins and they make the first round without any problems. Medical terms start to appear but it's nothing they haven't spelled before. Ten words each, and that's it. 

 

 

The older men in the audience, seated strategically in the front row applaud each time they finish as if they did something wonderful. 

 

 

He can see many classmates from his university cheering to the side, as well as those from other universities. But everything becomes silent when the second round starts. 

 

 

They go for the tenth term , Doh KyungSoo completes his with calmness and a few seconds to spare. It's Oh Sehun's turn when he is assigned his term and Baek is speechless. 

 

 

Corynebacterium diphteriae

 

 

It's a term He has never heard before and apparently SeHun hasn't either. Because he makes a mistake by forgetting the h before the t and is disqualified. 

 

 

Baek swallows dryly in fear. If he loses now KyungSoo wins instantly, but if he succeeds they'll move on to the third round.

 

 

-Okay, Mr. Byun. -The announcer says as Baek reaches for the microphone, "Your term is: Adrenoleukodystrophy. 

 

 

And BaekHyun breathes. It's a term he knows. 

 

 

He does it quietly, pronouncing each letter well but with caution to do it in less time than KyungSoo. And the MC announces the third round. 

 

 

Oh Sehun sits in front and raises a fist sending them strength. 

 

 

KyungSoo looks serene before reaching for the microphone.

 

 

- Okay Mr. Doh, your term is: Subcortical arterioscl encephalopathy.

 

 

Baek has spelled it before, it's a bit confusing especially because of the s and c together. He really could do it, but twenty seconds doesn't give a chance to spell calmly. 

 

 

But KyungSoo looks confused — Can you please give me a sentence with the term?

 

 

Baek is surprised, that could detract points. 

 

 

-Well Mr. Doh. Subcortical arterioscl encephalopathy is a neurological term whose eponym is Binswanger's Disease. You have 20 seconds to spell. Start... Go!

 

 

Doh starts quickly completing the first word in seconds, gets through the second word and takes a little while, it's when he finishes spelling "arterio" that he makes the big mistake of pronouncing an "e" instead of an "s" and all three jurors push their buttons. 

 

 

- I'm sorry, Mr. Doh. You have made a mistake. Please take a seat, if Mr. Byun makes a mistake they will be assigned new terms until there is a winner. 

 

 

Baek looks towards ChanYeol as he walks towards the microphone. ChanYeol's eyes are as wide as Soccer balls and Baek finds it strange. He tries to ask him with his eyes if something is wrong when the MC speaks again. 

 

 

-Well Mr. Byun, your term is: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

 

 

WHAT THE ? 

 

 

ChanYeol avoids his gaze and when the MC indicates he can start, Baek tries to concentrate. 

 

 

It's a term he's only heard once in Mary Poppins and he doesn't know why they put it among the many medical terms normally used for this contest. But he starts spelling as if his life depends on it. 

 

 

He's halfway through, when the clock says he still has a good 10 seconds left. And Baek is sweating buckets. But he concentrates like never before in his life. 

 

 

And he succeeds. He utters the last "s" with only 2 seconds left, and the jury start to clap. 

 

 

He won. 

 

 

The MC approaches him, congratulating him on his first place and encouraging the audience to clap even louder. 

 

 

Baek lifts up his trophy still a little bit gone and confused. 

 

 

Wasn't ChanYeol supposed to help him, and why does ChanYeol keep avoiding his gaze? 

 

 

After he gets all the congratulations and takes lots of pictures with sponsors and men in suits he doesn't even know, he can leave the auditorium. And he sends a message to ChanYeol, to know his whereabouts. 

 

 

His message is left as seen and Baek worries, did something happen to ChanYeol? 

 

 

He tries to call him but he doesn't answer. 

 

 

The brown-haired man starts walking around the campus with trophy in hand, receiving a few compliments from classmates he passes in the corridors. But he doesn't pay much attention to them. 

 

 

His mind filled with a certain caring giant with a low voice, warm hands and a wonderful brain.

 

 

Just as he is passing outside the library and sees the closed door it occurs to him that he loses nothing if he takes a peek. 

 

 

And sure enough, just like the first time he dared to speak to him. ChanYeol is sitting alone inside the big place. 

 

 

Baek enters quietly, but ChanYeol surprises him with his low voice booming through the echo.

 

 

-I'm sorry, BaekHyun. 

 

 

His eyes are full of regret and Baek approaches in concern. 

 

 

- It's okay, ChanYeol. It was no big deal, I won anyway. - He shows him the trophy with his name engraved on it and gives him a small smile trying to cheer him up. 

 

 

- No, I'm sorry. I made a mistake and didn't keep my part of the bargain. I'm really sorry. 

 

 

ChanYeol sighs and Baek looks at him confused. -What deal are you talking about? 

 

 

- I knew everything from the beginning, Baek. I would help you cheat and in return you would go out with me. It was an unspoken deal, I got it from the start. But I didn't keep my part and you did all this for nothing. 

 

 

The brown-haired man looks at him in astonishment. Although he shouldn't be because he knows Chan is one of the smartest guys on campus. And that was one of the characteristics he found most attractive. 

 

 

-How?

 

 

-I mixed up the order of the cards and you ended up getting the hardest one in the end.- the black-haired man patted his forehead in anguish- I'm so sorry, you even had to go out with me and kiss me. I'm really sorry, BaekHyun. Because of me you almost lost. Besides, I agreed to help you knowing that what I would do is very wrong, I was willing to betray my values. 

 

 

The smaller one sat next to him- Don't be sorry, I'm the one who should apologize. For tricking you into helping me cheat.

 

 

BaekHyun was really sorry, because seeing ChanYeol in that state of guilt made his heart small and tears wanted to come out. After that day ChanYeol would no longer want to date Baek and there would be no more hugs, no more kisses, no more cuddles, no more stolen smiles, no more blushes, no more nothing. ChanYeol would still be the boy of his dreams and Baek would still sigh as he watches him from a distance. 

 

 

- No, BaekHyun. Understand, I knew you approached me for something. When I ran away after you asked me out, I was actually running away not to accept whatever you wanted me to do. But then I came back, and I accepted because a nerd like me would never be lucky enough to be with someone as cute on the outside and inside as you are. — Baek gasped, — I've been in love with you for years. Since the first year when we had to make copies for class and you laughed at the silly typing jokes I made to break the silence.

 

 

-I thought you didn't remember me?

 

 

ChanYeol leaned an elbow on the table and placed his face on his palm, looking directly at him, while Baek's eyes watered. 

 

 

-I've been seeing you for years. I wanted to get close again but you became so popular that I was afraid of being rejected. So I just walked away, so I could see you from a safe place. 

 

 

By this point BaekHyun was already in tears for what wasn't and what could have been if only he had worked up the courage to talk to the cute boy with glasses again during his freshman year. 

 

 

- I took advantage of you, it was wrong. But I just wanted... I, I wanted to taste heaven for a moment in my life.    And now I feel so dirty, because I used you for selfish reasons. I used your body, I used your need to win. 

 

 

No, you didn't. BaekHyun wanted to tell him but his mouth only sputtered. 

 

 

ChanYeol took his hand and kissed it gently. And Baek's heart squeezed tightly. 

 

 

- ChanYeol, listen to me, I like you very much. I've been seeing you too since-he wanted to keep talking but the taller one stopped him by shaking his head.

 

 

-Don't do it, Baek. It's not necessary anymore, I know I'm not like the other popular guys who ask you out on dates. Please don't pretend you like me. And I'd like to think you didn't do this all the years before to make sure you win, because that's not the BaekHyun I admire. Now, I think it's time to get back to reality. 

 

 

No no no no, Baek wouldn't let him think like that. 

 

 

He was leaning down to kiss the shorter one's forehead when a delicate hand grabbed his shirt, and pulled him down hard to crash their lips together. ChanYeol opened his eyes in surprise but quickly closed them as he kissed him back. BaekHyun didn't let go until they were out of breath and still clutching his shirt. 

 

-Idiot giant, you were my first kiss. Of course I never did this with anyone else. I know it was wrong, but I only did it because it was you, the boy I've liked for years. - ChanYeol opened his mouth to protest but Baek continued- I like everything about you, especially that you're a brainiac, it really turns me on. To be honest, ChanYeol. I never really needed your help, I think I only did it because I wanted to give myself an excuse to get close to you. 

He winked at him and Chan felt his heart stop. 

 

- Then . - he said, approaching the smaller one, taking him by the waist and sticking him to his body- You don't mind if I do this?

 

Baek hugged his torso, resting his face on his pecs- Of course not, I love your chest.  I love your body, ChanYeol. You're all strong and big, but your brain is still hotter- he said, causing a gasp of astonishment from ChanYeol- I'm serious, I like you completely and I'd like to know more about you. 

With a completely red face the taller one squeezed him a little closer and hummed happily. — It's still a dream for me, Baek. But I don't plan to waste this opportunity, would you be the boyfriend of this giant nerd? 

 

- Giant, nerdy and hot. - BaekHyun stood on his tiptoes and left a soft kiss on the opposite's warm ones while spelling a quiet "Yes".

Things went smoothly from then on, even though his boyfriend forced him to promise not to cheat again, and Baek had no problem keeping it. Anything he needed he could accomplish on his own, and now he knew it.

Warm hugs, and warm kisses and warm gestures that make his heart flutter. With ChanYeol everything is warmer and no trophy would be better than that. 

But Baek didn't have to choose, because he is Byun BaekHyun. The President of the Spelling Club, the most popular guy in the college, four-time winner of the Intercollegiate Spelling Bee. And he can have the trophy and the boy of his dreams if he wants it. 

The end.

​​​​​