sports fest

because of you

Students are all hopping in the bus excitedly even though they will be late in 20 minutes. It's their sports festival that happens once a year only. Everyone is getting prepared to go to the Seoul Music College where it will be held.

 

A certain girl just stands in the parking lot beside her car who is waiting for her friends to come.

 

 

"Hey Minji!" Handong said who is obviously running just to reach their oldest.

 

"What took you so long? We only have 15 minutes to go to the venue and we still haven't practice beforehand." Minji said and entered her car followed by her friends.

 

"Blame it on Sua-unnie." Handong said as she sat in the passenger's seat while Sua sat in the back.

 

"Sorry, I overslept." Sua explained.

 

"If you didn't go to the bakery shop last night just to stalk that part-timer girl then you wouldn't be sleeping late." Handong said which earned a glare from Sua and made Minji's eyebrow rise.

 

"That's nothing, Minji. Don't listen to her." Sua said.

 

"I don't care. Can you just rest and let's have some peace for a while?" Minji shut them up and focused on her driving.

 

They reached the venue 3 minutes before the opening ceremony so they ran towards their headquarters to prepare for their match.

 

"We need to win this again, okay." Handong, who is their captain, said to her friends.

 

"Sua is the only one who got a lower score every time." Minji coldly said which earned a pout from Sua and smirk from Handong.

 

"Okay, okay. Let's go now, and Sua, remove that pout please." Minji said and she left the two.

 

"When will Minji stop being cold to everyone?' Sua said.

 

"I have no idea unnie. But I hope there will be someone who can break her walls." Handong said and followed Minji towards the gym.

 

----------

 

"For today's match, Seoul Arts College versus YG Academy. What will be the result today? Will the Artists be able to go to finals again, or it will be snatched by the Rappers?" The emcee announced which earned cheers from the students in the gym.

 

Minji’s team went to their area and Jennie's went to theirs also. Artists need to win this again because it will be Sua and Minji’s last game for this year because they will graduate soon.

 

The game started in a calm state, YG suddenly went higher than SAC but in the half time, it became a fiery battle. SAC's managed to win this round with their ace, Minji scoring for straight 10 which doesn't shock them anymore.

 

They must win 3 times before going to the semis and 3 battles before going to the finals. They are given a 60 minute-break before their matches begins and it will be filled up by other games. For now, their team decided to practice more while the other teams went on the bleachers to watch the track and field. 

 

Each runner had their solo time to be recognized, running from the entrance towards the starting point. Minji doesn't pay much attention as she is busy shooting arrows at the target.

 

She's so focused on her target and it fades out when the shouts of the students become louder garnering her attention. Her arrow scored only 8 which got her frustrated because this is her lowest score. Deciding to see who caused the disturbance of her focus, she looked on the field to see a puppy-like girl running towards the starting point.

 

She smiled to the students and other runners who smiled back, showing her dimples. A girl showcased different appeal, she's cute but at the same time pretty. Her silver hair matched her outfit. Minji seemed to be in trance on that girl that she didn't notice her friends calling her.

 

"Minji!" Sua shouted at her, garnering her focus back.

"Where are you looking?" She asked.

"Nothing." Minji replied, focusing her attention to the arrows. 

Sua looked where Minji was looking before and she saw the runners getting ready for their match. Noticing something the way Minji acted before, she decided to investigate for more. Because Sua knows what Minji never does.

 

She never gets distracted when she is practicing

 

"Hey. We had enough time for practicing. Why don't we rest for a while, and watch the track and field?" She suggested earning the attention of Minji again from the "track and field". When she noticed Minji stopped for a while, she silently wished that she would get it right.

"As if Minji will acce-" Handong is stopped by Minji.

"Okay. Let's just watch them." Minji said, making Sua smile secretly and Handong looking between the two with confusion all over her face.

 

She never chooses something over their practice .

Something smells fishy. Sua thought. 

 

Minji never watched others' matches because she wants to practice hard, especially the track and field, because they are enemies in their school. Let's just say that she doesn't want to share their practice field with the runners because she owns it and only wants to focus on archery. But today's seems to be an exception for her.

 

They went to find a seat and luckily, there's still a space in front where you can see the runners clearly. The game started and the runners started to move their feet and strengthen their limbs.

 

As the game goes on, Sua keeps on observing Minji  who is now focusing on the game carefully, and no, she's focusing on the runner who is in last place.

 

"What's so interesting from the last place girl, huh?" Sua intervened but Minji didn't remove her glance at the girl but answered Sua nonetheless.

"She's so slow. It's irritating." She said which made Sua smirked

 

She never gets irritated with someone just because they are losing. She even silently cheers for the losing one, more of like the lack of confidence she says.

 

"Oh, really? Then what do you call that now? Is that still slow?" Sua said when she saw the last place girl runs faster than before and now she's accelerating fast after the first place.

Minji is shocked with the girl's speed not noticing that she joined the others in clapping.

 

She never showed interest or emotions to others.

 

The last place girl before reigned the winner at that speed. No wonder the cheers before are so loud, the emcee revealed that this girl is competing and reaching Nationals in her junior high school.

 

Minji wondered why she didn't see the girl before if she was competing in Nationals, the same as them.

 

"Did you see her in our matches before?" She asked Sua.

 

"Nope, I didn't. But I saw their archery team, the one we had a hard time beating." Sua said but she kept in mind to look for this girl that got Minji’s attention.

 

Minji nodded at her explanation, she did remember their archery team. Seoul Music College is their rival school, of course she won't forget their enemy, but she can't remember this girl. Did she study in SMC last year?

 

"Maybe she's a transferee, right?" She asked Sua again.

 

She never got intrigued and questioned two times in a row.

 

She isn't the type to start a conversation even though they are friends.

 

"Why don't you ask her?" Sua suggested silently waiting for the confirmation.

 

"I wish I have the gut- WAIT WHAT?" Minji slipped her thoughts to someone, and that someone is Sua who felt her victory while Handong was shocked by Minji’s reply.

 

Caught you! Sua thought.

 

"Come on, Jiu. I know you're interested in that girl. You're doing what you never do before" Sua teased.

 

"What? No, I'm not. And please, don't call me Jiu." Minji looked away to her friends but Sua didn't miss the red blush on her cheeks.

 

Found her girl. Sua thought.

 

"And what do you mean with me doing something I never do?" Minji curiously asked.

 

"Well, first you get distracted practicing and you NEVER, emphasis on NEVER, choose something other than practicing. Then you showed emotion and interest towards that girl. And now you're curious about her, am I right? I bet you're planning to talk to her after this." Sua proudly exclaimed seeing the expression of her friend in front of her.

 

"You're mistaken, Sua. I'm not interested at her now if you'll excuse me, let's divert the attention from me okay?" Minji said and look everywhere but her friends.

 

She fished out her phone and texted her cousin about something.

 

From: Queen Sua

Yo. Couz, I need to ask you something. Are you in SMC?

 

She holds her phone waiting for the reply, hoping that her cousin is in the school today.

From: Binnie

Yes unnie, In case you forgot we are competing. Why?

From: Queen Sua

Meet me at the cafeteria. NOW

 

Sua excused herself to their friends saying that she wants to buy her drinks which they nodded because they know that Sua will get thirsty easily.

 

She went to the cafeteria of SMC, she knows the place since she sometimes visits her cousin who is currently finishing her senior high school in SMC.

 

Even though she is still in the entrance, she already saw her cousin who is surrounded by her fans because of her charisma and skills.

 

"Hey Binnie! I miss you." Sua said and hugged Yubin who hugged her back.

 

"Unnie, we just met three days ago." Yubin laughed at her antics.

 

"Anyway, what do you want? Are you getting scared of fighting me?" Yubin added.

 

"You idiot. Why would I be scared of you? You learned your archery skills from me." Sua boasted that Yubin faked a cough.

 

"okay okay. No need to say it." She said.

 

"I just want to ask if you know that runner from your school. The silver-haired girl winner, who is unpredictable." Sua asked Yubin..

 

"Oh, you mean Hyeonnie?" Tzuyu said. Well, the first runner that popped in her mind is her Yoohyeon, no, Yoohyeon only.

 

"Hyeonnie?" Sua asked.

 

"Yes, Kim Yoohyeon. She is my best friend here, majoring in Music of course and Directing." Yubin explained.

 

"She is good at everything, singing, dancing, games, she's great at making you laugh even though it's lame and mind you she’s really really clumsy, she's cute and pretty at the same ti-" 

 

"Okay, okay. That's enough information, Bin. " Sua said as she cut Yubin’s ramble about her best friend. Her cousin can be loud sometimes when she wants to.

 

"Okay. Why did you ask about her?" Yubin asked.

 

"Because my best friend is interested in her and I want to help her." Sua said. Yubin knows her bestfriends since Sua sometimes talks about them when they are together.

 

"Who? Handong unnie? It's okay, she's soft and kind though intimidating." Yubin said.

 

"No. It's Minji." Sua interrupted.

 

"WHAT? NO! SHE WILL GET HURT!" Yubin suddenly outburst which confused Sua.

 

"Eh? But she's a good girl, she just didn't want to show it." Sua defended Minji.

 

"No unnie. If she didn't want to show it, then how will she take care of my Hyeonnie? She will ignore her and just make her a display? If that's so, then no." Yubin angrily said.

 

"What? Your Hyeonnie?" Sua forgot all the harsh words by Yubin because those certain parts echoed in her ears.

 

"What?" Yubin is dumbfounded. It slipped on her tongue right?

 

"What do you mean, your Hyeonnie? Are you hiding something? Do you like her?" Sua asked again.

 

"Uh- I, wha- Uhhm. Yes, I like her. I don't want her to be close to Minji because I don't want her to get hurt, because I like her and I will do everything just to protect her. Now you understand me, unnie? I won't sell her out." Yubin said and she left her unnie in the canteen while she went to their headquarters to find Yoohyeon.

 

She's been in love with her best friend ever since they met. Yoohyeon just has this aura that will get you comfortable and feel safe. She cares for Yoohyeon so much that it made her feelings deeper than before.

 

When she reached their headquarter, she didn't expect this someone to be there at the entrance of their headquarter who is talking to Yoohyeon. 

 

Yoohyeon seems happy yet confused about the girl in front of her. Happy because she is getting compliments and confused because the girl in front of her looks a cold person but here she is getting nervous the way she talked and couldn't look at Yoohyeon.

 

Yubin witnessed this in front of her eyes, and felt the jealousy inside her so she moved forward and ordered Yoohyeon to go inside, not without giving a glare to Minji.

 

"What did you talk about? " Yubin asked.

 

"Well, she congratulated me, and she asked if we could get to know each other after the match." Yoohyeon happily said.

 

"What else?" Yubin added.

 

"Nothing more. Why did you ask? Do you know her?" Yoohyeon asked and something hit her.

 

"WAIT! I FORGOT TO ASK HER NAME. WAIT I'LL BE BACK." Yoohyeon hurriedly went out to their headquarters leaving Yubin no choice but to see her figure disappear to search for the girl Yubin despised the most.

 

 

"Excuse me!” Yoohyeon called but the girl just kept on walking.

 

“Miss Purple-haired girl from SAC!" Yoohyeon said when she saw the girl turning in the corner.

 

Minji turned around when she heard purple-haired since she’s the only one with that haircolor in the area, she was shocked to see Yoohyeon behind her.

 

"Why? Do you need something? Here's water." Minji offered her water to Yoohyeon who accepted it and drank almost half of it.

 

She easily gets tired from that run when she’s a runner and it’s not even that far? Minji thought and smiled to herself.

 

"Sorry for that, I'll just repay it. I searched for you because I forgot something." Yoohyeon started.

 

"What? You didn't give me something." Minji confusedly said, making Yoohyeon laugh, eyes turning into a crescent shape and Minji froze for a little at the sight.

 

"No, Idiot. I forgot to ask your name?" Yoohyeon asked.

 

"Oh, I'm Kim Minji from SAC, I'm majoring in dancing." Minji introduced herself.

 

"Nice. I'm Kim Yoohyeon, from SMC, your rival school and Major in Music, acing in directing too." Yoohyeon shook her hand with Minji who smiled at her.

 

Yoohyeon seemed to be frozen in her place when she saw the blinding smile this girl gave to her.

 

"So, see you after the game?" Yoohyeon asked.

 

"Yeah. See you and I'm taking this with me!" Minji said and walked away not without getting her water from Yoohyeon.

 

I really need to win this game, and now I'm contented. Minji thought she couldn't control her smile anymore making it visible to all the students who were watching her.

 

Yoohyeon on the other hand, noticed a paper on her hand , she removed the folds and was shocked to see what was written.

 

Call or text me later. 347-XXXX-XXX 

I have a game after this, Care to watch? 

-KMJ 

 

Sua who is in the corner also, witnessed all the conversations they had and it's confirmed that Minji is really interested in Yoohyeon. With all those conversations? Minji being talkative to someone other than her friends? Sua smiled because something shifted to Minji when she saw Yoohyeon and she’s glad for that.

 

Minji never smiled for real in almost 3 years.

 

But as she turned around, she saw her cousin who was looking hurt from the scene she also witnessed. She's torn between her best friend and cousin.

 

I never knew it would be complicated like this when there’s not even a move yet. Sua thought.

 

Minji’s team won today and earned a friendly date with Yoohyeon, while Yubin earned a broken heart.

 

-----

 

Minji is getting prepared for her final match versus the SMC. She suddenly got the feeling to finish this early because of her excitement. She was supposed to go to their area when her phone buzzed, signalling a text message.

From: Unknown Number

Hey KMJ, this is Yoohyeon, the girl before, so I just want to wish you good luck, you're fighting against my school and especially my best friend, be ready to lose :P . I'm watching right on your side, but don't get me wrong, I'm here to cheer for my best friend not you :P.

-KYH (might as well copy your sign then)

Minji smiled again. She already accepted that Yoohyeon easily broke the walls she has been building years ago, and today, she will let her feelings win. It’s time for her to earn the love se’s been yearning for and what more if Yoohyeon’s the one behind to all of that? She looked at her side and saw Yoohyeon who was looking at her and they smiled at each other. 

This is the first time I really enjoyed the sports fest. It isn't that boring at all . Minji smiled while staring at Yoohyeon who is now making weird moves towards her best friend.

Kim Yoohyeon, huh? Sua's right after all. I'm doing what I never do before, and it's all because of you. Minji thought before focusing on her game.

Minji couldn’t wait to finish this game and get to know this girl. She hopes that this feeling towards Yoohyeon must be right and not just for one time. Maybe after this, she will let Yoohyeon be her weakness and strength this time.