be yourself

shot through the heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“please welcome, team japan!”

the crowd erupts in cheers as the team walks in, calling out their name. it’s majestic, a beautiful sight with thousands of people filling the stands. millions more across the world waiting for them, to witness this moment. it’s been a long time coming and everyone will admit that it was worth the wait. after all, it is the tokyo olympics.

towards the back of the group, myoui mina watches it all unfold in awe. it’s unbelievable that she’s here this evening. that she’s able to participate in such an event which until recently, had been merely a dream. over the past few years, she’s been practicing her archery but she’d never expected to take part in a competition like this. mina is well aware of the stress and the expectations that come with wearing the country’s flag on her olympic uniform. and, not to forget, that being the country that’s hosting the olympics means even higher anticipation. she’s here to do her best and that’s all she’s focusing on.

despite living in korea, mina’s dual citizenship gave her the opportunity to play for her home country. not that it eases the weight on her shoulders in the slightest. being able to walk in with such wonderfully talented people across dozens of people is an honour to cherish. with that thought is the added reality that she needs to work hard to showcase her skills, having so many eyes on their performance.

“this is a lot to take in. feels like i’m still in a dream.” mina mumbles to herself.

a warm hand squeezes hers and she turns to face momo, understanding her predicament. there’s nothing mina could be happier about than having her two best friends being by her side right now. momo, on her team in archery and the most experienced, had been the one to suggest mina to their coach for the olympics. it’s her second time here and mina knows that momo wants to make sure she enjoys this, despite the pressure that comes along with playing against the top teams across the world.

“mitang, you okay?” sana looks over from momo’s right side.

sana on the other hand, is the captain of their national soccer team. like momo, this is also her second olympics. though, a part of mina envies them. they know how things are meant to go. ever since mina got the nod that she’s going to olympics, she’s been in over her head. it still hasn’t sunken in that she’s here . insecurity washes over her and she grips the small country flag in her hand a little bit tighter. does she deserve to be in this spot with the talent that she has? what if she fails everyone?

“oh, no. we’re not having this.” momo clucks her tongue, pulling mina into the middle. she pulls the flag out of her hand and replaces it with her own. sana follows, interlacing her fingers through mina’s.

looking between her two friends, mina’s confusion builds.

“firstly, you’re going to have a good time here. even if we’re here for a reason, it’s been almost two years since you’ve been in japan. we’re definitely going to spend some time together after it’s all over.” sana begins as she swings their hands. “secondly, you’re meant to be here. i know you’ll be amazing with your strength and dedication. you worked hard and it’ll pay off.”

“she’s right. it’s easy to get carried away and believe that there could be someone else who should take your spot. but, you made it here for a reason. even if i did tell the coach about you, it’s not just my words that would’ve encouraged her to make that choice. she could’ve easily said no.” momo encourages. “we believe in you, just like you believe in us. and i want you to have fun as well. my personal goal this time around.”

mina nods, accepting their kind words of encouragement and reassurance. this is a reminder for her to focus on the present than the future. she doesn’t want to let it get to her any more than it already has.

“now, no talking about schedules or anything for the rest of the night. let loose, enjoy the night and festivities instead, alright? it’s going to be a late one.” sana nudges her shoulder against mina’s.

“ actually , should i tell you about everything sana was up to at the last olympics? the whole team, as in across all sports, knew about it.” momo struggles to talk through her laughter.

“hey, you promised to keep that a secret!” sana whines.

“it can’t be that bad, can it?” mina doesn’t quite know what to expect.

“you can just say that not everyone was as accepting of her normal behaviour like we are. she got into a little bit of trouble from some girlfriends. but in all honesty, sana never did anything wrong. i had to keep her with me the rest of the remaining time.” momo explains. “but, it’s fun to about it because she went through hell with me.”

mina giggles as she glances at sana, sulking away with a pout. “at least you have us both this time.”

“well, i don’t have momo. she’s going to be busy with her girlfriend.” sana grumbles. “i can’t believe you’re going to be versing your girlfriend in the olympics. who wou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter