001

Primo / Secondo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
001

 

 

On a quiet morning in the early springtime, there is a stillness in the air that is unmistakable. A simple routine it was to awaken at 5 in the morning, prepare breakfast, and get ready for the day. Though, she wishes it were that simple, that easy; when in fact, her eyes are heavy with exhaustion, a deep-seated weight upon her chest and shoulders as she musters every fibre from within just to steel herself into letting a small smile curl on her lips, to paint the facade that she was okay. That everything was fine. The hours and days would often times blur into the other, moments fleeting and never lasting. A routine, or at least the facade of a routine, was the only thing keeping her somewhat sane. Somewhat able to manage. Maybe even to cope. 

Carefully tiptoeing across the hallway and opening the knob to the door before her, the first thing she notices is the small protruding figure beneath the thick layers of blankets, a quiet snore following each breath, and the sunlight now beginning to filter through the curtains. She makes her way wordlessly to the edge of the bed, and rests her hand gently onto the figure, lightly waking the person beneath the inviting sheets. 

“Kyun-ah, breakfast is ready. You don’t want to miss your first day back.” Her voice is soft and tender, yet voiced with enough authority that the stirring and awakening child is now groaning, pleading for an extra five minutes. 

“Five more minutes please, unnie.” Kyueun begs, now emerging from under the sheets with her head protruding from them as she rubs her eyes. 

The elder only clicks her tongue at this, chastising the little one and was now only left one option. “I made rolled omelettes and mandu-guk. I think you’ll want to get up before it gets cold.” 

And at the immediate realization of perhaps being able to eat a hot, home-cooked meal for breakfast, the younger one perks up almost at an instant, her eyes now forming crescents with a beaming smile curling at her tiny lips. “Did you really?” She now has open in anticipation for the elder’s response, to which she offers with a simple nod. Kyueun squeals and thanks her with a rather tight and grateful hug, before pulling away slightly and jumping out from her bed. “Thank you, unnie!” 

“Mhmm. Now go on, hurry up and fix your bed.”

After a slight begrudging groan, the child finally relents and does as she is told, tending to her sheets and pillows as the elder goes back into the kitchen and takes a seat at the table just big enough for two people, a cup of tea already brewed and awaiting her arrival. She eyes the small spread of food before her, letting the slightest glimmer of a wistful smile spread across her lips. As much as she wanted to be able to cook for her sister regularly, to spend time with her like this every morning, and to be around as much as possible, it just simply wasn’t feasible—not with the endless recitals, concerts, traveling, and other promised engagements she had to keep. It had always felt as if there was not enough time in the world for everything, and that deeply frightened her. 

But today was different—It was the beginning of Kyueun’s final year of middle school, meaning that she would be entering high school next year. And the elder was always so poignant about ensuring that she would be around for all the milestones when possible. Despite Kyueun’s persistent and constant reassurances that she didn’t need to be around for all of them, the elder only insisted further, until the younger had no other choice but to concede. Without a parent or anyone to look after her, she was quite possibly the most important person Kyueun ever had, and ultimately wasn’t used to having anyone being around. Ever. Perhaps that was what drew the both of them together. 

“Jooeun unnie,” The younger calls out from her room, as she closes the door quietly behind her and makes way to the cramped living room, ensuring not to knock over the piles of sheet music and scorebooks sprawled all around the tiny flat. 

“Hm?” Jooeun hums from her cup of tea whilst taking a brief sip. 

“I have violin lessons again with Junmyeon oppa later, so you don’t have to worry about picking me up.” She murmurs, slightly rubbing her eyes as she pulls the chair out for herself to sit down upon. 

Nodding and chuckling slightly in acknowledgement, the elder pushes the bowl of soup towards Kyueun for her to eat. “Tell him I said hi. I haven’t been able to catch up with him in a while.” 

“I will. Thank you for the food, unnie!” She chirps brightly. “He’s been asking about you a lot, by the way.” 

“Asking about what?” 

“Whenever you’re free,” The younger says in between bites of the dumpling she had held in her chopsticks, her entire focus now mainly on the rolled omelettes before her. “Unnie’s always busy and out, so I just tell him that.” 

Jooeun lightly scoffs, yet can’t help but to be amused at the younger’s sense. “He’s always fussing about whenever I’m free.” 

Silence envelops the two following the laughter they had shared earlier, eating their merry hearts away at the meal they both knew was a rare occasion in of itself. To sit down like this as if time had slowed, that pertinent things weren’t of concern or matter. That it was just the two of them in this very moment, sharing in it together in silent appreciation. And Jooeun was more than happy to see Kyueun being fed and eating well, knowing that it came from a place of wanting the best for her, and endlessly trying to provide the younger with it. The rest of the meal continues on wordlessly with an air of quiet content, simply enjoying the other’s presence before the day were to begin, the sharp contrast of comfort and reality setting in with each passing moment. 

Kyueun once again enthusiastically thanks the elder for her cooking, skipping back into her room whilst humming a mindless tune as she prepares herself for her first day back at school. Jooeun takes care of the dishes, packing away leftovers for lunch later that she may or may not end up eating, and follows in similar fashion—getting dressed and freshened up, grabbing the manuscript for the new concerto she had to learn for a recital coming up, and ensuring she had everything ready to go before leaving. She was very particular about the way she went about with things, and didn’t like the idea of surprises nor entertaining them, or changes into a routine she had finally gotten down after spending nearly weeks abroad traveling and giving recitals in different cities, different timezones. 

All Jooeun could hope for was an uneventful day—that the first day back at the conservatory were to go by without deviation from the norm—uneventful and ordinary. 

Now hastily making her way down the stairs and into the store that connected to the tiny flat upstairs, her feet instinctively move towards the shelves holding the multiple scores and books of Chopin’s Études, letting her fingers brush away and pick which specific edition she needed for a student she was going to be teaching later on in the day. 

“Hmm, maybe Opus 10…” She murmurs to herself, picking out the edition she needed then moving onward towards where Schumann’s works could be found, which were about 3 shelves over, topmost, requiring her to pull out a stool from beneath one of the tables besides the towering shelves. 

“Kinderszenen… Piano Concerto… Ah!” Jooeun exclaims, a small content purse of her lips as she finds what she had been looking for. “Symphonic Études, this shall be it.” She declares quietly to herself, stepping down from the stool with a small heaved sigh.

Before she makes her way around the counter where the register had been, she finds a stack of post-it notes and peels one off, managing to find a stray fountain pen that was perhaps left from the day prior, and quickly jots down a note for the store’s owner. 

Uncle! I’ve taken a Chopin Étude score (op. 10) and Schumann’s as well for Minjae’s lesson later. Left about 30 bucks on the table, keep the change as always. See you around! 
-Jooeun

And as promised, Jooeun counts the exact number of bills from her wallet to place beside the note, ensuring to leave a weight atop. Kyueun’s quick footsteps down the stairs and entrance were timely, as the elder was now readying the shop for the owner to arrive later in the day.

The two are wordlessly in sync with their exchange, knowing what was needed to be done every other day. Likewise with everything else, it was a routine—take off the piano covers from the upright piano besides the one of the two opposing glass windows, and the grand piano that took place adjacent to the other window, ensure the scorebooks were properly sorted, organized and flush with each spine, and that the shelves that lined the perimeter of the space and housed the books themselves were well kept and orderly. All that was left once the store looked presentable and in order was to draw back the curtains from each window, tie them back onto their respective holdings and tidy the rest of the antiques sitting on the sills. 

The two lightly grimace at the light now flooding in from the windows, yet turn to each other with content smiles as they were now ready to leave. 

“Got everything?” The elder asks, to which Kyueun enthusiastically nods her head with firm reassurance. Jooeun can’t help but to let a subtle smile curl at her lips at the younger’s demeanor, pointing out just one small flaw in her confidence. “Your bowtie is always crooked.” She clicks her tongue playfully. 

“Unnie always fixes it for me, anyway.” Jooeun laughs at the younger’s retort, conceding in agreement as she was doing the exact thing she had joked about. After taking one final look and ensuring that Kyueun’s uniform was tidy and that nothing else looked unkempt, the elder hums in approval. 

“Don’t forget your coat this time, Kyun-ah.” Jooeun reminds with the pursing of her lips towards the set of hooks on one of the walls holding them. The younger gasps in realization, and immediately snatches it before throwing her arms into its sleeves, slightly humming in content at its welcomed warmth. Jooeun watches with slight amusement, yet nonetheless opens the front door and nods her head with gentle, nudging smile. 

“Alright, let’s get going.” 

She briefly glances over at Kyueun making her way outside, before ensuring the locks had been set in place and taking one final glance at the shop to make sure that everything had been set properly. After doing so, she closes the door behind her and makes way towards Kyueun who had already been on the side of the road, waiting for her patiently with a soft smile. Jooeun can’t help but to reciprocate with her own smile as well, catching up to the younger and instinctively taking her hand that Kyueun held out for her to take. The younger always felt safest around her, taken care of and most importantly as if she was actually someone she could trust. And what a rarity that was to her. No where in Kyueun’s mind would she ever doubt that Jooeun loved her with her entire being, and that she cared for her in the most earnest and sincerest way possible. 

The two begin to make their way down the street, being greeted by their neighbors who initially had been outside watering the plants around the perimeter of their own house. They were always fond of Jooeun and Kyueun, noting how they would regularly check in on them and invite them over for small performances to keep the elderly couple entertained. An admiring and affectionate relationship grew between them over the years, especially with the shop’s owner being good friends of the couple as well. 

“Good morning you two!” The elderly man greets, his wife at his side who both share tender smiles on their appearances. The two wave back at the couple, bowing their heads respectfully before reciprocating with their own beaming smiles. 

“Good morning!” They both chirp simultaneously. 

“Today’s the big day, no? Kyueun’s already starting to grow up so fast!” The wife gushes endearingly, a nostalgic inflection in her voice as she clutches onto her husband’s arm. 

Kyueun’s bright laughter rings as a response, before she follows. “I’m not going to grow up! I’ll be immortal so I can take care of you both forever!” 

Jooeun and the couple response with doting chuckles, the pianist affectionately shaking her head down at Kyueun’s coy grin on her face. 

“That sounds good for the both of us!” The husband enthusiastically supports Kyueun’s wishes, playing into her jests with amusement, a lightness and lyrical joy floating all around in the air. It was much needed, something to take Jooeun’s mind off of things; even if it were to be momentarily so. “Well you both go on and take care now!” 

They all bid farewell to each other, and Jooeun continues to lead the way as they head towards the subway station. What stops the two of them in their tracks however, is Kyueun tugging on the elder’s hand and pointing towards the convenience store towards the end of their block. It was one that they frequented often, and even became acquainted with the store’s owner and employees there as well. And with Kyueun knowing this, she knew she could easily weasel her way into at least buying a few more snacks for the day—a trick Jooeun already knew the younger had up her sleeve.

“Can I buy something really quick, unnie?” Kyueun pleads with a small pout, tugging on the elder’s hand once more as she tries to bring her over to the store. 

Jooeun sighs, shaking her head before giving one last glance towards her. “Fine,” She relents, immediately being greeted by her elated squeal. “Be quick, we don’t want to be late. I’ll give you a 10.” She sternly murmurs, reaching into her bag to find her wallet. 

“Aye aye, captain!” Kyueun salutes, straightening her back and flashing a small, timid grin. Jooeun rolls her eyes but cannot help but to relent and slightly scoff at her antics, now finding a ten dollar bill and handing it over to her. She watches as Kyuneun hastily runs into the store, predictably heading towards the section that held an abundant supply of sweets, chocolate bars galore, and an impressive spread of varying kinds of chips and snacks. She couldn’t help but to have a glimmer of a fond smile curling upon her lips at the sight, as Jooeun now follows suit and enters the store, merrily being greeted by one of the employees who recognizes her as well. 

“Good morning, Jooeun unnie.” The clerk greets with a bow and shy beam. 

“Morning, Gaeul.” She casually greets, taking her place naturally at the counter as the two begins to strike up a conversation. 

“Let me guess, Kyueun wanted snacks again, huh?” 

“Always.” Jooeun jests with a slight roll to her eyes, making the clerk laugh. “I feel like I spoil her too much, though I probably should since I don’t get to see her often like this sometimes…” The pianists murmurs contemplatively, a sad, yet slightly wistful inflection in her comment. 

Gaeul sighs longingly, slightly nodding her head in agreement. “Touring is hard, no?” 

Jooeun purses her lips. “Sometimes. But I have to make ends meet somehow, too.” 

The clerk tries to reassure the pianist of her worries and frustrations, offering a piece of encouragement and reassurance. “Well, if I had an unnie who was a world-class piano soloist who took care of me and bought me snacks every so often I would appreciate her regardless.” Gaeul grins, making Jooeun slightly laugh at her comment. 

Amidst their quaint conversation, the two of them had also been watching in amusement as Kyueun has a dilemma between wanting to buy another bag of chips or exchange it for another chocolate bar she recently became a fanatic over. 

“That means a lot, Gaeul. Thank you.” The pianist murmurs quietly in appreciation, now turning her head as Kyueun had finally come upon a decision. The two of them flash a small and knowing look on their faces upon noticing the second chocolate bar the younger had snagged up in her hands, along with a small can of warmed milk tea. 

“Hi Gaeul unnie!” Kyueun greets with a hearty chirp, placing all of her things onto the counter for her to scan. “Jooeun unnie gave me 10 today so I managed to get another chocolate bar.” She mentions mischievously, a satisfied grin already curling upon her lips at her perceived achievement. 

“So I can tell.” The clerk responds with a chuckle. “Your unnie’s been spoiling you, huh?” 

“I wouldn’t call what she’s been doing spoiling,” Kyueun begins, though has a slight moment of realization. “But she is being awfully nice to me today… Are you perhaps plotting something, unnie?” Her accusatory tone makes the two of them laugh. 

“You should be thanking me instead of accusing me of such baseless crimes, Kyueun-ah.” Jooeun scolds playfully, watching as Gaeul had finished scanning the rest of the snacks the younger had picked out. 

“Hm, I guess.” 

Gaeul laughs at their lighthearted and casual banter, reading the total from her screen as she begins to bag the items neatly. “It’ll be $7.48 today, Jooeun unnie.” 

“Keep the change, Gaeul-ah. We’ll be on our way now.” Jooeun affectionately smiles, grabbing the bag as it was being offered. Kyueun hands over the 10 dollar bill whilst the two exchange their biddings, and slightly bows in a farewell towards the clerk. 

“Bye bye, Gaeul unnie! I’ll see you around!” 

“Take care!” 

 

 

The two finally make it out of the subway station as they begin their final walk towards Kyueun’s campus, the sun already illuminating most of the city and signaling the beginning of another day. As with every morning during the springtime, it had still been quite cold out, telling by the way the two were slightly huddled close to one another in aims of preserving heat. Continuous playful banter, conversation, and laughter continued with the two as there always had been, with the occasional greetings towards those who had recognized them—whether it be Kyueun’s classmates or those who frequented the neighborhood. 

And as they make it along the final stretch of road towards the gates at the front of the school’s entrance, they notice a familiar face waiting just beside the brick walls that towered over the perimeter of the campus grounds. He had his gaze solely focused on the phone in his hands, typing away with his leg crossed over the other to support his leaning stance. 

“Minjae!” Kyueun calls out, the boy snapping his head up and averting his gaze towards the person who had called out his name. Upon recognizing who it had been, his face and features immediately lights up and shimmers in giddiness. The smile on his lips and the way his eyes crinkled affectionately as he waves the two of them over is telling enough, as he was unreservedly excited to finally see the two of them again. 

“Kyueun-ah!” He greets, hugging her briefly before pulling away and bowing towards the elder. “Good morning, Jooeun noona!” Minjae smiles, hugging her as well. 

“How was your break?” Jooeun asks, affectionately ruffling the younger boy’s hair. 

“Oh, it was amazing, noona!” He begins, gushing with excitement and glee. “I managed to see Mahler 5 the other weekend at the Conservatory’s concert hall, and brush up on the new Beethoven Sonata you gave me a couple weeks ago, too.” He cheekily winks. 

“Hm, we’ll see how much you practiced during lessons later.” Jooeun jests, raising her eyebrow at the boy. The three of them share another round of laughter, catching up with one another with the few minutes they had left before their own classes were to begin. It was a time in the day that Jooeun wishes could last forever, staying like this in conversation between people she had come to dote and admire the most; and what a rarity it was. She always felt that young musicians were a gift to this earth, a talent to be cultivated and guided, and a force to be reckoned with. And most importantly, people she could also learn an abundance of things from despite her experience and own merits. She felt that she would always be infallible to the eyes of the younger ones, and that it was of her own accord to hold herself to a standard that involved taking in other’s perspectives—especially of those who were up and coming, those who were starting to prove their own merits and dedications. 

The pianist had always been fond of the boy, quite notably. Minjae was one of a very small handful of students she had decided to teach upon returning back to Korea, and he showed remarkable, fruitful potential. His earnest desire to learn, passion for classical music and its vast canon of repertoire, alongside his air of quiet, shy temperament made Jooeun quite fond of him quickly. He also had been among one of the closest, if not the closest, of Kyueun’s friends at her school, to which they would often divulge into performing sonatas together. The two were a bonded pair that couldn’t be broken, a fitting synergy between the two young musicians that Jooeun highly encouraged and supported. 

Amidst their chatter, the two notice that they had just a few minutes left before they had to report for homeroom whilst a rush of students began racing towards the front gates. A warning bell then chimes throughout the entirety of its campus, and a burst of energy could be felt all around them.

“Well, that’s our cue to leave.” Minjae sighs, a dreaded groan coming from Kyueun alongside his own. “I’ll see you at lessons later, noona!” 

“Bye unnie! Thank you for the snacks again.” Kyueun bids farewell in a giggly fit as the two finally take off running, their laughter becoming more and more distant as they soon make it to the main campus’ building. 

Jooeun watches the two of them with another small, wistful small on her lips and arms crossed over her chest at them, a sense of yearning yet sadness overcoming the pianist. She wasn’t able to shake the feeling since she had woken up this morning, and it was beginning to frustrate her. Perhaps it was the fact that Kyueun really was indeed growing up, and was now bound for a new journey despite it only being a year’s worth away. She knows how quickly a year can fly by, and how many things could possibly change within that single timeframe. Though all the pianist could do now was to cling onto a sense of hope, knowing that the younger was bound and destined for great things. 

And so, with one final glance at Minjae and Kyueun entering the building and disappearing behind the large oak doors, Jooeun sighs and tightens the wool coat around her body, slowly making her way back towards the subway station, bound for another day. 

 

 

A sip of coffee in the morning was always preferred by him, black with no sugar or milk. Especially on cold spring days like this, nothing was more comforting that the warm cup in his hands as he traversed the Conservatory’s campus. 

The campus was like a maze to the pianist. Too many sights to see, winding corridors and hallways, towering buildings and lecture halls, large plazas with spacious lawns adorned with an abundance of well-kept flora and fauna, quaint little fountains adorning certain scapes, practice rooms sprawled about and filling with musicians, more students who had been casually out and about, socializing amongst themselves or even out with a stand and sheet music, practicing whenever and wherever they could, and those hurrying to whatever class they had next. He was taken aback by such high levels of energy, yet figured it was due to the prestige of the conservatory itself. Or perhaps that it was also the very first day for everyone, too. He had already recognized several musicians and professors whom he had worked and performed with before, all bustling and going about their day with hasty yet enthusiastic greetings towards the pianist. It was exhilarating, if he could describe the energy levels all around him, and it intrigued him very much so. 

After spending about half an hour exploring the grounds and familiarizing himself with as much as possible of the vivacious campus, he finally settles upon one of the designated halls just for practice rooms, and finds the first floor completely occupied—a common sight around conservatories. 

“Typical.” He thinks to himself with a small chuckle, and makes his way towards one of the two main staircases and enters the second floor, and is immediately greeted with a sight that takes him aback. 

There stood a group of about a handful of musicians, crowding around a room in particular, all murmuring and squealing amongst themselves and seemingly trying to stay out of sight from whoever was in the room. He instantly makes out the piece being played, its thunderous repeated octaves and infamous bass motif telling enough—Liszt’s arrangement of Erlkönig [1]—though it was now in its final tumultuous measures, and the mere timbre produced by whoever had been practicing it nearly floors him. Never has he heard such a stormy and emotive interpretation of the piece, its evenness in tone and voicing another spectacle to marvel at. 

Though he doesn’t have much time to also be in awe and amazement with the other musicians listening, as they had now, too, turned their attention towards him to marvel at his presence. 

“Oh, it’s Byun Baekhyun-sunbae!” One of them exclaims in a whisper, to which they all share excited smiles and greetings. 

Baekhyun chuckles softly, finally approaching them with an appreciative smile, though most of his attention is towards wanting to know whoever had been playing. “Who’s in there right now?” He asks. 

“Seo Jooeun-sunbae! She has a recital coming up in a couple weeks I believe.” 

Upon hearing her name, it all made immediate sense to him. He had heard about Jooeun incessantly upon returning back to Korea from studying abroad, going as far as to listen and even watch a handful of her recitals and performances. She had flawless technique from what Baehyun could remember, aggression and fiery passion when needed, tenderness and sincerity if the piece required of it, and a virtuosic ability to interpret pieces and display her musicality in a seemingly effortless manner. 

With an instantaneous need to finally see the pianist many had been

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter