One

Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  * BEAUTIFUL (EXO Next Door OST)- Baekhyun (EXO)


News of a family moving in became talk of the town during summer before Baekhyun started 5th grade.

It was pretty obvious since the restoration period lasted 2 weeks. The constant noise, inevitable, from fixing the abandoned house bugged Baekhyun’s older sister; Bora, to the core, and she sure did a splendid job of letting them know.

Baekhyun however, liked seeing the process of it all. He saw workers fix the roof, replace shattered windows, paint the walls, and even create and install built-in storage units. To the curious mind of a 12- year old boy, it was hypnotizing to see all the handiwork being done in real-time. But it was more than satisfying to see the results of these efforts, as if reviving a dying house.

 

On the third week, a giant moving truck parked right across Baekhyun’s house, signaling the arrival of the new family in the neighborhood.

He watched from the window of his bedroom, where he got a decent aerial view, the insane amount of things being hauled. From furniture and appliances, to large boxes and filled sacks, unloading the truck went on and on for the four brawny men (he had counted) outside.

Soon enough, a heavily tinted sedan soon pulled up in the driveway, which he suppose was the family in question. 

The man behind the wheels was the first to get out. He looked the same age as his father, but skinnier and taller in physique.

The woman from the passenger seat didn’t have distinctive characteristics apart from her very pale complexion. Her round statement glasses attracted more attention.

What amused Baekhyun was the revelation that there was someone in the back seat. They opened the car door, and low and behold, the last thing he expected; a girl.

She sported denim overalls, pairing it with a red boxy shirt tucked underneath. Her rugged cowboy boots seem an inch too big for her. Actually, her entire outfit was very oversized and lacked any coordination, but she somehow pulled it off. If it wasn’t for her long hair that looped over a distressed baseball cap, she could’ve easily been mistaken for a boy. 

Her eccentric fashion pulled Baekhyun in. Although their town leans toward the countryside-esque aesthetic, no one in school ever dressed like that. He's never even seen someone under their 30's wear a pair of boots before.

Unfortunately, he did not see her face. She was too covered for him to notice any compelling features to associate her with. But her skin was just as fair, if not fairer, like her assumed mother. 

Nonetheless, she skipped in front of the yard, darting her hand out to grab her mother’s. Her other hand clasped on a 5x5 neon rubik’s cube. Her tiny fingers could barely balance the toy in place, but she managed. 

Walking in unison, they inspect the entirety of belongings sprawled out within their home. Some boxes laid on the freshly mowed grass. Others were set on the porch.

The father hovered over the movers, the two in particular who were trying to lift a vintage wooden table from its legs. Baekhyun was not within earshot. But, even he could discern the hand motions, that the father wanted the movers to pick up the pace. He slid over to the truck, speaking to the other two (probably about the same thing), that were pushing things out.

Baekhyun peered over the area, trying to find if there’s anything unique that they brought. Nothing in particular won him over, apart from the giant box (comparable to his height), labeled ‘Toys’.  He wondered what could be inside.

 

The shrill voice of his mother, calling both him and his sister to come downstairs, interrupted his thoughts however. He took one last look, before racing down the flight of stairs.

The entire ground floor smelled of vanilla and butter, a scent ingrained in Baekhyun’s head since young.

Although his mother was a mediocre cook, she was a terrific baker. Sometimes he comes home to a chocolate tiered cake set as the centerpiece of the dinning table, and sometimes he had a Madeleine for a snack. Nonetheless, she mastered her hobby. Hard to believe she almost set the house on fire just by pre-heating the oven a year ago.

 

Bora was already in the kitchen, elbows resting on the marble island counter and feet dangling off the stool in which she sat as she pestered her mother, who was busy putting on kitchen mittens.

Their mother is a petite woman and her aura radiated positive energy; the kind you cannot mistake for, other than being kind and compassionate. She can be strict with her children, especially with going out and curfews. But, her intentions always aligned with the safety of her children.

Baekhyun strolled over to the stool beside his sister, fluidly entering the room mid conversation.

“Please mom,” she whined, gluing her hands together. “The last premiere today is at 2. My friends and I have waited for this to come out in months at CineMax.”

CineMax, the nearest theater house, was located three towns away. Any further, you’d arrive in the city. 

“Is everyone taking the bus?” she asks, promptly opening the oven, letting out clouds of steam.

They only had one SUV, which their father primarily uses to go to and from work. And their father refuses to let them go on their own, he always insisted on dropping them off wherever they need to be.

Public transportation was easy, but commuting to the theater house was a hassle. Two bus rides and a cab took between an hour or two. They can forlorn the cab, but by foot it will take approximately 10 minutes.

“Kira’s mom is driving us. She'll drop us off after the movie too. I c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter