... and we’re just changing

Maybe this place is the same
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungwan already missed quite a ton of things in their neighborhood before coming back to South Korea: Sooyoung's wedding, Yerim's housewarming party, Seulgi's PhD rites, and probably more things beyond distant memories of her neighborhood in Itaewon. 

 

Shoving back reluctance, she wills herself to return to Seoul after being assigned to do some research at an orphanage in Gangseo as a long-term project. As much as she wanted to turn it down, her childhood friend, Park Sooyoung, convinced her it was a great time to meet up. After all, it's been ten years since she came came home (if she could even call it that) 

 

“How could I say no to my favorite person in the world?” Seungwan coos at Sooyoung through video call a night before her flight. 

 

She could hear Sooyoung mockingly gush over Seungwan over the phone. "Nice try, Seungwan, but Hyeoseob's on top of my list--" the man in question peers into the video phone, holding their dog Haetnim's paw, to wave to Seungwan. 

 

She didn't have anyone next in line, but it's also been ten years since she spoke to the last woman who held the top spot. Since October 25, 2015, to be precise.

 

It took yelling, shouting, confessions of a third party, a speeding cab to run away from her past. With a one-way trip to Canada before dawn cracked the next day and a suitcase not even halfway through the baggage limit, Seungwan left her life behind in South Korea to start anew in Toronto. She could vividly remember how Joohyun confessed about an affair she had with a man, sounding so casual that she might as well have just announced that she got a promotion.

 

"Did I mean that little to you?" Seungwan spat at Joohyun right after the older girl confessed what she described as little affair after dinner that night, before storming out into the unknown.
 

Now 31 years old, Seungwan was with a fulfilling job, and a huge wall in front of her. Over the course of a decade, Seungwan tried to date other women. Why Joohyun did that, even as they started out strong (they even made love the night before for crying out loud) remained a mystery to Seungwan. But the thought of Joohyun willingly whisking herself towards someone guaranteed to make a woman feel inadequate over loving another woman was the only answer she needed. 

 

It was a rough past few years for Seungwan, who felt these waves crashing down on her, and she could just will herself to swim and keep herself from drowning. 

 

But all that's been said and done, and with a new life, she comes back to familiar territory and God it felt bittersweet to be back and she was going to carry on with life as if Joohyun didn't exist.

 

"You can't keep hiding forever, you know that right?" Seungwan remembers Sooyoung telling her over the phone the day she announced she had to come back. "The probability of seeing her in Seoul is close to none, and she's moved out from the neighborhood long ago. What could possibly go wrong, right?" 
 

She didn't ever know where Joohyun went, and for that she was relieved.

 

The day she leaves Pearson, Seungwan echoes Sooyoung's assurance. "What could possibly be wrong?" 

 

Now she was back in Incheon, fishing for her passport as she walks towards immigration. Over the course of 10 years, Seungwan has been everywhere her job demanded her to be in - from Toronto, to Zurich, to Brazil. But being overtly-conscious and the anxieties over forgotten documents prompts her to study the immigration officers' expressions while they probed the arriving passengers. And it is through that in which she realizes that Sooyoung's probabilities seemed to have failed, and everything that could've gone wrong went wrong literally the moment she set foot in an area she didn't want to be in in the first place. 

 

A woman whose long locks were tied together in a bun sits in an upright posture in one of the cubicles. Her skin glints above the fl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter