We Fell Out of Love in October

We Fell Out of Love in October

Sparkling gold earrings, expensive ring, diamond necklace, a limited watch—it is just some of the things that can always be seen worn by Mina.

 

She already built her own reputation in their high school as the one that can literally buy an individual’s soul (the students are just exaggerating, of course), whenever she doesn’t like their attitude towards her, or in just her one look, they can already either melt, feel nervous, or feel giddy because she is THE Myoui Mina, the pride of their school when it comes to ballet and in academics, and THE Myoui Mina, who has a lot of properties that is under her name, not her parents and other family members.

 

She is the girl that almost everyone is either afraid of or have a crush on because of her perfectly built body, as well as her gorgeous physical aspects that anyone will just ask Up Above why does they took a lot of time to make because Mina’s just way too perfect for their own liking. She is an individual that a lot of people are looking up to, like she’s really a respected and essential one.

 

And even though Mina can prove that she’s exactly the opposite of those titles and first impression on her, she then just learns to deal with it and make people believe that she really is that kind of person.

 

She may be the typical daughter of a really rich family, treating her like a royal princess and such, Mina still look at herself and her life as simple as ever.

 

While Chaeyoung was just an average type of person with nothing much interesting in her life because she’s not that rich, but also not poor as she can still have her needs and buy her wants with some limitations.

 

She’s also not the it girl nor a known individual in their high school, just a typical student, somewhat an extra in a film, and totally a no jam.

 

Her hair is now short with a blonde color and ever since she had that hairstyle, everybody seems like taking an interest on her, unlike with her black jet long hair.

 

She has quite a few friends she meets up casually in every section in their year level, but she doesn’t have anyone she can call her best friend and besides that, there’s really nothing interesting in her life because she doesn’t have big goals and dreams, either, just generally want to graduate and have an income, whatever job she will have because she believes that she can learn any skill once she’s already in the field.

 

She wants to graduate even if she often does some procrastination in her school works, almost not passing some of it because she’s also the type of not really having an exact dream, but living her life as ‘you only live once’ so she always challenge herself to do things in her own way, the way life wants her to be.

 

They totally have different backgrounds and personalities, like all those cliché stories and relationships out there, but what makes them unique is that they still manage to get along with one another, despite getting embarrassed in their first actual meeting because of their crazy classmates.

 

It was the foundation week of their school and every student was busy in their own world on the grounds of the grand high school—some are taking photos, some are joining singing and dancing contests, some are participating in different activities and sports festival, and some are just part of the audience, waiting for different bands that performs before the day ends.

 

There is this ‘open microphone’ they call and it is literally open for anyone, as long as they are a student in that school because outsiders were also invited for their celebration and they are free to say whatever they want, given the spoken rule of respecting one another, particularly the authorities of the school, therefore they are not allowed to mention curse words, backstabbing, and such.

 

Since it is a high school and most of the students, as typical as they are, likes to fool around with literally anything and anyone as they are just discovering everything around them and the bigger and changing world for them.

 

Their naughtiest classmate, Mark, just casually went to the microphone and his friends then started cheering for him.

 

“This is for you, Myoui Mina! I have a crush on you! Thank you!”

 

The girls in their class started laughing at him while the boys just keep on teasing him because finally, after almost 4 years of being in the same school, he finally confessed to his long-time crush and while some of his fangirls are disappointed because they literally lost their chance on having Mark as their boyfriend because according to them Mina is the standard, the girl just looks at everyone from afar, specifically staying on the fourth floor of the nearest building from the grounds where the loud sound and noise is still heard.

 

She just rolled her eyes and continued reading her book as she plugged back in her earphones, enjoying her me-time, away from the crowd and from their judging eyes.

 

She was just simply living in her own world there when she suddenly felt like there’s someone with her in the room so she turned off the music and took off her earphones.

 

“Son Chaeyoung! I just want you to know that I have a crush on you! Please go on a date with me!”

 

A groan was heard all over the place and Mina’s initial reaction was to giggle because she absolutely had the same expression just a while ago and she can certainly agree with the girl’s reaction.

 

“It , doesn’t it?”

 

“OH YOU STARTLED ME!”

 

Mina laughed a bit louder than a while ago and the girl beside her was just confused as ever because why the hell does a stranger keeps on laughing at me as if my whole life’s a joke?

 

She covered with her hand while still laughing and shaking the other.

 

It was so awkward that Mina just immediately went back to her usual esteemed self and cleared .

 

“I’m sorry for reacting like that. I just saw myself in you, that’s why. It’s embarrassing”

 

The girl then snapped out of reality and smirked. She now understands Mina and put both her arms on the rail of the building as she stare at the people enjoying the school’s foundation week.

 

“Really. Like… they don’t even know you personally, even if they say that they’ve been classmates with you for how many years now. Besides, that open microphone is just a dumb idea, just made for scaredy cats who likes to confess then will disregard afterwards. Totally nonsense”

 

“Couldn’t agree more. No matter how many times your name can be called, they will still say something bad about you or just befriend you because you’re either rich or pretty, nothing more, nothing less.”

 

“I feel bad for you, Mina”

 

“Oh, don’t be, honey. I’m okay just the way I am”

 

Both blushed with that response, particularly the first sentence that Mina doesn’t even know where it came from; she doesn’t even know her name or if she belongs in the same class as her, just didn’t pay attention to everyone yet.

 

Mina cleared once again and act like fixing her clothes when she honestly just feel so embarrassed because she’s usually not like that at first meetings; she’s usually the prim and proper one, the one that is obviously seems like a reserved one, totally a ‘girl in my dreams’ and ‘first love’ vibes, but why does she look like flirting already? She cleared her thoughts as she saw the girl extending her hand with a sweet smile on her face that shows her dimple. Cute.

 

“Son Chaeyoung, by the way. Just in case we’ll bump in the hallways which will most likely happen because we’re staying on the same floor, assigned on the same building”

 

“Alright. I’m already sorry for not recognizing you nor just being familiar with you because of some circumstances—“

 

“Relax. You don’t even need to familiarize with everyone when you’re not even part of the student council. I mean, no offense, if you’re not comfortable with it, just so be it”

 

It is actually the first time that Mina heard those kind of words where she feels like having her own decision and holding the steering wheel in her own life. For years, she has been told to be the sophisticated one, but with Chaeyoung, she feels so comfortable being herself, even if she barely knows the girl.

 

And that is the reason behind their closeness which is quite a mystery for the whole school because who becomes a really close friend to THE Myoui Mina that can make her genuinely smile and crave for physical touch, even declared it as her love language? Only Son Chaeyoung.

 

When February eventually came, months after their foundation week and their technically first meeting and first conversation despite the fact that they have been schoolmates for almost 6 years already and have been classmates for 2 years in middle school, both were surprised by their names pasted on the bulletin board of their grade level because they’re both listed as nominees of being the Prom Queen.

 

“Myoui Mina and Son Chaeyoung nominated as Prom Queens? Are we even seeing this right? They’re like best friends so why make a competition out of it?”

 

The both of them scoffed as they overheard a lower year visiting their area. They certainly doesn’t care about the Prom at all so why bother with those kind of stuff when they can just refuse to attend in the first place and have their own party in Mina’s huge bedroom?

 

“Mina, do you know that I’m really serious when I mentioned a while ago that I’ll be stealing your crown from you?”

 

“Whatever you say. I still know that I’m going to win against you”

 

The competitiveness inside Mina’s system aroused and it made Chaeyoung excited because the girl looks so amazing with that kind of aura, even if she’s just actually teasing the girl and literally doesn’t have any plans on stealing the throne from her. She’s a Queen, since the very start.

 

A week has passed in an instant and it’s now a day before their Prom. Everyone is just so excited talking about the dresses, suits, and shoes they will wear for the event they are anticipating for, besides their graduation.

 

“Ketchup, I have a quick question, will you please answer yes?”

 

“Yes”

 

The older said in an instant and Chaeyoung doesn’t know if she’s just mocking her or if she’s already serious with her answer. Nevertheless, she lessen her nervousness by letting out a nervous laugh and proceed with her main question.

 

“Mina, will you go to the prom with me and be my prom date?”

 

They are literally in the middle of an empty road, walking towards the Myoui residence and no one is there except the two of them. They still have at least 5 meters left before they reach their destination and Mina doesn’t know what and how to react, all she knows is that she wants to cover with a pillow and shout there while jumping in her own bed, but she knows too well that she can’t do it because Chaeyoung just decided to sleep there that night.

 

She exactly doesn’t know what to respond that it’s already obvious in her face that she’s panicking that’s why Chaeyoung gently held her hand and rubbed it.

 

“Hey, I’m serious with my question, but if you need time to think, I can wait. We still have less than 24 hours left, no pressure”

 

She giggled and that’s the cue for Mina to unquestionably say yes, as she let out a heavy breath with a satisfied smile and intertwined her fingers with Chaeyoung’s.

 

“I’ll be your prom date tomorrow, Chaeyoung”

 

The intermission dance from selected students finally come to its end as the program eventually finished as well that just means they are already free doing whatever they want on the dance floor and can already eat from the buffet the school personally picked for them.

 

Of course, Chaeyoung didn’t lose the opportunity to immediately ask Mina to dance because she wanted her to be her first dance for the night.

 

Chaeyoung gently lead Mina’s arm to her shoulder and carefully put hers on Mina’s waist. For a moment, they had an intimate eye contact before Chaeyoung break it and started swaying her body to the rhythm of the music, leading Mina to whatever dance steps she is doing.

 

“You’re acting weirdly lately, Chaengie. Is there something wrong? Are you feeling under the weather?”

 

“Why did you say so?”

 

“You’ve been affectionate, I guess? And more expressive of yourself, especially with the things or people that is dear to you, I might say”

 

“And how did you say so?”

 

“Come on. Do I need to find the right answer in your question just so you’ll tell me what’s actually happening to you?”

 

“No. It’s because I’m still contemplating towards something I’m still not sure about because I want to be certain when it comes to that thing.”

 

“Would you mind telling me what is that something?”

 

“Would you mind having a dance with me?”

 

Mina said simultaneously with Jackson who wants to dance with her. The boy is staring at Chaeyoung who wants to dance with Mina and both her and Chaeyoung is staring at the boy. Chaeyoung then lowered her pride and squeezed Mina’s hand, assuring her that she’s okay and signaled her that she will go back to their table already.

 

Moments after, one of their teachers went to the stage to announce the Prom Queen and everyone was anticipating even if they already know who won.

 

Drum rolls were heard as they wait for the photo of the winner to appear on the LED screen displayed in front.

 

“And this year’s Prom Queen that gathered a total of 1324 votes from the student body is…”

 

“MYOUI MINA!”

 

The students shouted the same time the teacher announced the winner and they all shouted with joy as Mina gracefully walk her way to the stage, put her sash and crown, and sit on the throne for a while for documentation.

 

Everyone just knows that Mina deserves the title because she already has everything and she is the only one who fits that position.

 

When Chaeyoung came last to take a photo with her dear friend, she jokingly takes off her crown and wear it on her.

 

“I told you that I’ll be stealing your crown from you, Prom Queen”

 

“Technically, yes because you’re my prom date?”

 

“Silly. I’m proud of you, my gorgeous Prom Queen”

 

The night’s going deeper as the temperature gets colder and the students get wilder on the dance floor than ever before, seems like they’re not running out of energy.

 

Thankfully, Mina’s long line of suitors finally stopped asking to dance with her as she’s obviously feeling pain in her ankles from wearing that expensive heels she hate wearing, by the way.

 

She was massaging her foot and doing some foot exercises when Chaeyoung just suddenly kneeled and carefully put a pair of flat shoes in front of her, gently massaged her foot with her bare hands and eventually put the shoes on her.

 

“You’re welcome”

 

The DJ then announced that he will already play the last set of songs for the night as they wrap up their Prom.

 

“Can I have your last dance with me, my stunning Prom Queen?”

 

“Of course”

 

They hold hands going back to the dance floor and Chaeyoung doesn’t need to lead Mina’s hands anymore as it automatically find its way to Chaeyoung’s shoulder.

 

They just did some basic dances, including the opening of their arms and Mina twirling going back to Chaeyoung and the latter catching her.

 

They totally had fun with their last dance as if they never felt any tiredness from all the dances they did that night.

 

When they felt that it is already the last mellow song that the DJ will be playing, Mina just suddenly let Chaeyoung closer to her as she completely hug the girl and their bodies still swaying with the serene music.

 

“I want to stay like this with you forever”

 

The night breeze welcomed them once they eventually got out of the venue of their prom and had that intimate yet somehow awkward last dance and Chaeyoung immediately suggested to go to a diner as they didn’t have any proper dinner that night.

 

What they love about the place was that it’s an open one and therefore they can directly inhale the freshness of the air and feel the breeze that gives a tingle in their skin, but they love every bit of it. They are still wearing their prom dresses and Chaeyoung’s initial move is to put a blazer on Mina’s shoulder right after they sit at their reserved table because she knows how the girl loves the night breeze so much, even if she feels cold already.

 

It was the month of February and it’s still breezy as they’re still in the winter season, however, it doesn’t change the thought that it sounds crazy that their Prom was held in that month and they know too well that most of their schoolmates just had their confession to their crushes which they will just laugh at because amidst everyone around them having confessions on the dance floor, they were just there, being the silly close friends that they are.

 

Mina knows that love is such a funny thing, it’s somewhat a mystery allure for her as she hasn’t felt that way in her entire life and so she needs to get to know that person more to be able to determine her feelings.

 

She knows it’s weird and she’s technically unfamiliar with all of those but she’s so sure since day one that Chaeyoung is the only person that makes her so comfortable about herself and lets her to be herself, not the Mina everyone wants her to be.

 

And for Chaeyoung, she totally feels a real connection towards Mina, it is a supernatural attraction that is not just about admiration because of physical aspects, nor social status, but because it’s Mina and her adorable gummy smile and down-to-earth personality and her soft giggles.

 

Chaeyoung totally got the feels for Mina and right after the night of their Prom, she is already certain about her feelings she hopes she will not regret later on.

 

When October eventually came, just weeks after the opening of the fall season, Chaeyoung felt so happy that her heart might burst because she finally had the chance and courage to confess.

 

“You will be my girl and you will be my world”

 

They pressed their foreheads together, closing their eyes, hearing each other’s breath, listening to each other’s heartbeat as Chaeyoung promised to love Mina in any ways she knows and she can.

 

And Mina didn’t let the chance passed by anymore, as she immediately returned her feelings for Chaeyoung and admitted that she actually feels the same way.

 

They fell in love in October.

 

It was actually a breather because they can finally express their real feelings towards one another without the need of showing affection because they’re ‘close friends’.

 

They do everything normal couples do—they date on the weekends, sometimes having sleepovers and movie marathons, having a walk on a random day (most often during dawn), building dreams and achieving goals together.

 

They totally enjoy each other’s company because as the days passed by, they keep on knowing about each other genuinely and deeply.

 

They will also get back to their Prom where they had an intense realization about their individual feelings towards one another because Chaeyoung certainly doesn’t want anyone near Mina, her forever Prom Queen, and Mina absolutely felt the butterflies in her stomach when Chaeyoung asked her to be her prom date.

 

Their relationship was just a simple and normal one and they certainly like each other’s comforting hugs, warm hands, and passionate kisses.

 

Not until another October came that was supposed to be a romantic month for the both of them, but it suddenly became uneasy and the atmosphere suddenly became cold.

 

It wasn’t bearable at all, that’s why they initiated to talk about it because it is as if the wind suddenly went in a different direction without any warning at all.

 

They're each other's first and always but they know too well that eternity will not work on them really well.

 

“At least I know, I am here to stay”

 

Chaeyoung stared on a blank space. It feels so empty without Mina by her side, but she needs to respect her decision because falling out of love is surely the most complicated reason above all and even if she wants to ask why, wants to ask how, wants to ask what she lacks of, she just can’t because Mina is still that star she can’t reach, but will always her favorite prom date and her forever prom queen.