oneshot

Melting

“How was the wedding dress?”

As she did a twirl beautifully in front of me, that dress suits her very well.
She took my hand and urged “Go on, you should change in your dress, the ceremony is about to begin Chaery”.
I nodded, went back to my dress room and quickly changed into my dress. I glanced at my reflection in the mirror, mumbled "Perfect". 

I stood on the podium, watched her walking down the aisle in her father’s arm. Step by step to the altar, from a single woman into a married one. I looked at her and smiled happily while the music resounded throughout the church with every step she took.

Hwang Yeji.
4 years ago was the first time I met her on a freshman tour, she was a sophomore. She was humble in her knowledge yet confident in her abilities. There was like a layer of bright light shining around her. That was when I fell for her before I even realized I did.
I tried to participate in every school activity that she was in just to make friend and gradually we became close. She said she liked baseball player, I was a person who only buried my head into books. But for her, I tried to practice playing despite the sun drying my skin, hands always covering with bandages due to injuries. I still tried hard and ended up in the school’s team, she was full of praise for me. She said she liked guitarist because they look cool. I went on and learned how to play guitar even though I had no talent in music, I practiced all the songs that she loved to play for her. She often went to that particular coffee store, she said it makes the most delicious Americano and I took her there every day.

There’re many things I do secretly for her. The main purpose, to make her laugh, to make her happy. And I did it.

I watched her smiling shyly behind the thin white veil, she was incredibly stunning today. In this moment, I never dare to forget. Time seems to stop here, all the memories of her flooding back to me like a movie. Once she fell asleep reading a book in the library, I secretly kissed her cheek, the kiss was clumsy because of my embarrassed. When she woke up with her bewildered wonder why my face was all red. I still remember the first Christmas gift that she gave me, although it was a meter-long clumsily knitted red wool scarf, it was beautiful to me…

“Do you take Hwang Yeji as your lawful wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, through sorrows and joys, hardships and triumphs for all the days of your lives?” –the voice of the priest pulled me back to reality, I looked at the bride smiling.

“I do”

 

The voice of the man in a white suit of the same color as the bride, his eyes looking at her affectionately. She smiles happily when he places the ring on her finger, he removes the veil that exposed her beautiful face and gently places a kiss on her lips. Everyone now applauded, including me. She threw the bouquet and it accidentally fell into my hand. She hugged me, whispered “When it’s your turn, I’ll come. Thank you for being my bridesmaid, my joy”

“Have a happy life, unnie” I replied as she smiles and my hair, then climbs into the wedding car beside her man.

She liked baseball because he was a popular player on the school’s team. She liked guitarist because he was in the school’s band. She likes Americano at the specific coffee store because that’s where he worked part-time. She often reads books in the library and sleeps there because she wants him to see and wakes her up…

I stood, watching as the car carrying a load of love, including my love, disappeared in the distance. At this time, my heart crumbles and then it's my makeup melting, my first unrequited love has found her happiness. I’m happy. Yes, I should be happy, I should be smiling, not crying.

As long as she’s happy.

I’m happy.