Story

No Lies

Kang Woo reached into his back pocket. Even though he was in a lot of pain, he tried to think of an explanation that he could give to Kwon Joo. He wouldn’t even try to lie to her. Kwon Joo would know right away if he lies, moreover he didn’t do anything wrong for him to hide.

He was racking his brain to create an explanation that his hand couldn’t move fast enough to grab the evidence that could save him from the accusation when he caught a swift movement in front of him.

Kwon Joo pointed a gun at him.

Since they first met, Kang Woo knew he would never be able to control Kang Kwon Joo. That woman can control herself, proven by her sharp words that scratched his ego slightly at the police station, making the temperamental Kang Woo glared at her. But she didn’t blink even once until Kang Woo finally gave up and accepted the Golden Time Team Leader position.

Since then, Kang Woo realized that he wasn’t dealing with an ordinary woman. Kang Kwon Joo was no ordinary woman. She was the type of conqueror who’s very clever with her words that could make her opponent speechless. Even more with her round brown eyes. The first time he got a compliment from Kwon Joo, the woman stared at him innocently, and Kang Woo melted. He was certain he trusts Kwon Joo, as she does him.

But this situation was not the one he had imagined. He called Kwon Joo, asking her to meet to hand her the evidence. He thought that whatever happened, Kwon Joo would always be on his side. He thought Kwon Joo had already understood him, who couldn’t open up easily to anyone, and he still was. Anyone except Kang Kwon Joo.

And the person he believed the most, the only one he believed, is now standing in front of him, staring at him with hurtful, angry, disappointed, and disbelieve eyes all rolled into one. Kang Woo could see tears gathered around her brown eyes.

“Don’t move,” Kwon Joo warned him. She took a step back in wary, gun still pointed at him. “I’ve warned you if there is something else you try to hide from me, we can’t work together anymore.”

Kang Woo just stood still. There were so many things he didn’t want to tell to anyone. Every dark memory that haunted him since he was a boy made it hard to trust other people. When Kwon Joo told him the fact of his father’s crime, Kang Woo felt something different. A feeling he never had before.

Was this guilt? The guilt of not telling Kwon Joo earlier? If he told her earlier, would the woman have believed him? Or would she keep pointing the gun like this?

There was one more feeling that made his chest hurt. Disappointment? Kang Woo himself was surprised that he could still feel disappointment. Maybe he was disappointed because Kwon Joo didn’t trust him. But it was partly his fault.

All these feelings that he experienced for the first time confused him. He couldn’t interpret them clearly. But he knew one thing for sure. He didn’t kill anyone.

He looked at her eyes. Those eyes that were full of suspicion made him even more speechless. Then Kwon Joo said the words.

“Don’t tell me that the killer has nothing to do with you,” Kwon Joo glared at Kang Woo. “Because I don’t believe it anymore.”

Now it was clear what he feels. He was disappointed and regretful. But he should remain rational. He needed the evidence to make her believe him.

Kang Woo sighed, “This is just like our first met.” He looked straight to Kwon Joo’s eyes, who now looked like she was about to cry.

“Forgive me. I don’t know what happened. But I know for sure that I am not a murderer.”

“You are sick,” Kwon Joo’s voice trembled. “Please, you have to turn yourself in. You are sick. You need treatment.”

As far as he knows, he was sick, indeed. Headaches that suddenly make him faint and memory loss. Pain that he endured alone. But he was sure he is not a murderer. Kwon Joo had to believe him. She had to. If not her, no one would.

So, he took a step forward to this one person he trusts the most.

“Stop!” Kwon Joo warned him nervously. The gun’s muzzle almost touched his chest. Kwon Joo took a step back. “If you come any closer, I will shoot.”

Even though he saw Kwon Joo starting to get scared, whether scared to shoot him or see him being shot, Kang Woo didn’t stop.

With a quick movement, he reached her gun and pulled it so that the muzzle pressed against his chest. “Shoot me,” he challenged her. His eyes fixed at Kwon Joo. “I don’t care.”

Now it was Kwon Joo who cannot move. She didn’t want to shoot Kang Woo but she had no choice. Right before she pulled the trigger, Kang Woo gently intertwined their fingers. And Kwon Joo almost stopped breathing.

Kang Woo still stared at her, but this time the man didn’t seem dangerous. He looked rather sad as if disappointed because Kwon Joo didn’t trust him. That look made her heartache. Did she not trust him?

Before Kwon Joo woke up from her thoughts, Kang Woo took another step closer. A step from Kang Woo made her stepped back. After another few steps that felt like slow dancing, Kwon Joo managed to lower her gun and lock the trigger.

Her hand that intertwined with his was replaced by a rough palm holding the back of her hand. His hand felt cold, making her realize the coldness also came from her back which was sticking to the wall near the emergency stairs. She also realized that she had been looking down. She looked up.

Kang Woo’s face was very close. Kwon Joo could see the scar on the side of his right eye clearly. A long and deep wound, judging by the stitches that covered it. Kwon Joo focused on the scar until she felt Kang Woo’s stare at her.

Kwon Joo’s ears felt hot. She was sure her face was red because Kang Woo stared at her with a triumphant smile, bringing his face closer to Kwon Joo’s. Blame Kwon Joo’s oversensitive ears, hearing Kang Woo’s heartbeat and his breath made her heart beats faster. Before she could breathe normally, Kwon Joo realized she was currently staring at Kang Woo’s lips.

“He makes us suspecting each other,” he said with a low voice but Kwon Joo could hear him clearly. “But I assure you, there is no lie in our conversation.”

Hearing Kang Woo’s firm voice made Kwon Joo close her eyes, focusing her hearing only to hear Kang Woo’s heart beating faster. If she could interpret heartbeat language, she was a hundred percent sure that this man wasn’t lying. But when she wanted to hear more, Kang Woo’s heartbeat kept beating faster. She opened her eyes.

And she immediately knew the reason behind his accelerated heartbeat. Kang Woo was staring at her lips. And when Kwon Joo smiled unconsciously, he shifted his gaze to her eyes again.

Kang Woo was fully aware that Kwon Joo wouldn’t punch or kick his shinbone, so he brought his face closer to hers until their noses almost touch.

Instinctively, Kwon Joo closed her eyes, trying to calm her heart that almost made her deaf. She didn’t hope for anything. Or maybe she did a little?

“I know you’re different.”

Her eyes opened in an instant. Kang Woo stared at her while smiling. He tapped the tip of his hat against her forehead gently before taking a step back. Her eyes widen in shock, making Kang Woo almost chuckled. Then her gaze shifted to something behind Kang Woo and his face turned into a serious one.

With a safety convex mirror mounted near the ceiling, Kang Woo could see some police officers sneaking up behind the parked cars behind him. He reached for the voice recorder in his back pocket.

“I didn’t leak your whereabouts,” Kwon Joo said anxiously. Kang Woo nodded slightly.

Kang Woo put the voice recorder in her blazer’s pocket. Once again, he held Kwon Joo’s still armed hand. He brought his face closer to hers. And again, she closed her eyes.

“I trust you,” Kang Woo said gently before tapping the tip of his hat against her forehead again. He ran up the stairs.

Kwon Joo opened her eyes after hearing the footsteps of the officers chasing Kang Woo pass her and running up the stairs noisily.

What just happened?