not one, not two but three

You Look Awfully Familiar

The Qian Coven was known history of powerful witches but none of them was at the caliber of Kun, the revered wizard of the new millennia.

 

 

Kun is a hereditary witch wose blood was from pure bloodlines and he has a very strong core of magic coursing through his blood. He was often confused as a kitchen witch at first glance but Kun is not just that, he was more and beyond with power exceeding elders of his coven. When his mother was expecting, the elders already detected the strong magic that was thrumming inside the womb such that precautions were set in place. They were relocated in a secluded forest with layers of protective barriers and spells set in place by their coven so none can hurt them.

 

Kun was barely a blob of blood yet his mother had been feeling the magic that was building up that at times it was too much to bear. But Kun was a darling too, because despite the pain his mother endured, he would almost always bring relief soon after, and that made the elders sure that Kun would be one of the strongest and powerful one on his generation.

 

 

“He’s due anytime now.” Mrs. Qian hummed and her husband held her hand and kissed it.

 

“I’ll be here with you the whole time.” He assured his wife and that was all she needed to know that she and her son would be in good hands.

 

It was the new year, and Coincidentally the new moon when Kun was born. The cries were loud as Kun took a breath and everyone felt the intense magic that radiated from the new born, something that usually doesn’t occur since most magic manifests at a few years old, but Kun had been a thrumming with magic since conception.

 

 

A vixen scream was heard and everyone in the room stilled, but attentive as the screams got louder while Kun continued to cry. There was something pawing at the door so one of elders opened it shocked still as a majestic fox ran passed him and towards the room where the new born was still crying. Everyone eyed the fox who was approaching the bed, and Kun’s father stood protective of his wife and new born.

 

The fox approached slowly, eyeing the crying baby and focusing on him and no one else. The fox them barked a few times, alerting everyone, curses ready should the fox became feral and attack but the fox did not do any of those. The fox folded his knees and bowed to the baby before he slowly approached the bed and placed his snout on the baby’s tiny legs.

 

The room went quiet and Kun finally stopped crying, finding calm and sleep with the fox anchoring him in his slumber.

 

“He had found his familiar.” Another elder spoke a proud smile on her face as watched the fox lay on the floor while Kun slept in his mother’s arms. “Kun will be okay.” She added and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

 

 

Sicheng. The fox presented himself as a shifter, a powerful one that had been searching for a powerful witch to harness the power that was gifted to him. He was a tall young man in his true form, magic keeping him in such immortality until he meet his fated and finish eternity with them.  He mostly kept to his fox form, much more comfortable with him than in his human form, since he could protect Kun and his mother better and his magic was much stronger since he can’t bond to Kun yet who still have no grasp of his magic.

 

 

“You’re very protective of kun aren’t you?” Mrs. Qian remarked as she pet Sicheng’s head, thanking him for looking at Kun while she worked in the kitchen. Sicheng barked excitedly and rest on the foot of the crib leaving Mrs. Qian to chuckle as she picked Kun to feed him.

 

Sicheng is a fierce monster to be reckoned with and such was the case when danger presented itself. Sicheng felt their presence early on and had shifted to inform Kun’s parents. The protective barriers were taken down one at a time but  when they reached the quaint house in the middle of the forest, Kun and his parents were tucked hidden while Sicheng faced them head on.

 

Though Sicheng is a powerful being of his own, he was not enough to defeat the many greedy warlocks who had come after the news of a powerful wizard being born. Sicheng was panting, fur covered with blood that wasn’t his, yet the enemies seemed to grow rather than diminish in numbers. As Sicheng was ready to put his life on the line, a protective barrier appeared around him and he felt magic course through his body. It should not be possible unless a bond between witches and familiars were made, a balanced two-way bond, but Sicheng can feel Kun’s magic and he smiled before finishing off the head the group with a few calculated moves, enough to make the others retreat as their leader’s body fall limp and lifeless on the ground.

 

 

“Thank you Kun.” Sicheng hummed and closed his eyes, exhausted at the fight but glad that Kun was his fated witch.

 

 

---

 

Kun was powerful and that was established when he was born, but just how much was still a question. Sicheng had been his official familiar, the strong magic signature of the fox was what kun needed to stabilize his own, helping the boy with the excess magic as it flowed out of his core. Sicheng had received the reputation of a predator and since the feat a few years back, none challenged the family in fear of death descending upon them. Sicheng was now just free to laze around, finding comfort in staying with the Qian’s dog familiars Xiaomi and Feifei. Unlike Sicheng, the familiars are just regular dogs the Qian’s had since forever, and they tend to play with Sicheng, not afraid of him and were just accepting as their charges were.

 

Sicheng was sprawled out on the grass, keeping an eye on Kun who was now energetically running around the backyard chasing pretty butterflies. He figured his charge was a green witch having affinity to nature and he smiled, Kun would be anyone he wants and he’ll be there to support him, well eventually loving him but that’s a different story to tell.

 

It was normal for Kun to chase butterflies and even bees that doesn’t even stung him, even leading him to flowers and showing off how they work but today was a little different because Kun stopped running around in favor of standing still and looking at the dense forest past their well back yard. Sicheng stood alert as he felt the presence, ready to attack whatever danger that poses a threat to his charge.

 

Sicheng eyed the shadow that moved amidst the green foliage and it appeared to be a wild cat, a panther cub. Sicheng took steps towards his charge but Kun was already running towards the cub and giggling as he approached the cub. Sicheng was familiar, too familiar with what was happening so he chose to stop and sit this one out, but keeping an eye on the kid as he trotted towards the cub. The panther was laid low on the ground, head touching the dirt and was waiting for the kid to arrive and greet him.

 

Kun placed a tentative hand on the cub’s head and when his skin touched the fur, he smiled as magic thrummed and connected him to the panther. Sicheng grinned as he felt the connection, his charge had found his second familiar, a panther who he was sure sill spice up Kun’s life.

 

 

“Kun? Sicheng, come in for snacks!” Mrs. Qian called out and was surprised when she saw Kun being by the panther cub that was as big as their son while Sicheng turned to her with knowing eyes. “Their invited too!” She smiled at Sicheng who nodded and trotted towards the two to nudge them inside.

 

“winwin!” Kun’s lisps was pretty adorable and Sicheng barked once and allowed kun to pat him on his head before turning to the panther and gesturing for him to follow them.

 

 

The panther cub was named Chittaphon but Kun had a hard time saying it so he just called him Ten, because it was the number Kun had learned earlier and had stuck to him. Ten wasn’t complaining about the name change and turned to Sicheng who shook his head.

 

My name’s Sicheng by the way but that was too difficult for Kun to say so he calls me Winwin.

 

Sicheng spoke through the bond created with Ten and the panther nodded in understanding.

 

I don’t understand it yet, but he is powerful isn’t he?

 

Ten asked back and Sicheng nodded.

 

Yes, and I am not surprised that he got you as a familiar, you’re quite powerful, I can feel it.

 

Sicheng stated and Ten nodded.

 

We’re a revered breed in my country, poached and forced to be familiars but I barely escaped, almost died but someone’s magic had pulled me just in time. I followed the signature and it led me here.

 

Sicheng nodded, much like his kind, some parts of the world has revered breeds to be familiars. Though Sicheng’s kind was mostly born formal and was just chosen by nature, thus amplifying Green witches, Ten’s breed had been born into magic, and he could feel that the core is different from him.

 

My core is spiritual, I amplify a Hedge witches magic and prolong astral projection.

 

Ten explained.

 

Well that is actually good, Kun has a lot of Magic and I am sure I won’t be able to amplify them as much as I would want.

 

Sicheng said and Ten had understood.

 

Welcome to the Family Ten.

 

Sicheng nudged the Panther cub’s cheek and the panther pawed at the fox but his snout nonetheless.

 

 

Having Ten in the household made the house a bit cramped so Mrs. Qian, casted an expansion spell to make Kun’s room larger and gave it a door for access since the two familiars would want easy access in and out of the house without bothering Kun’s parents.

 

Despite being the only feline in the household, Ten was pretty much comfortable joining them, eventually allowing himself to grow into his full form, a very beautiful black panther, and even shift to baby sit Kun when his parents were out and about scourging the forest for their plants and whatever stuff that was on their list.

 

 

Ten was happy, watching his charge grow and he would be happy to be at Kun’s service whatever the wizard commanded him. But he was also scared because as Kun grew older, he felt the magic core gets stronger too. Sicheng had told him before that Kun was powerful but now he was getting more powerful that he was afraid evil will find its way again to harm Kun.

 

And that day came when Sicheng went with Kun’s parents, informing Ten that he did not feel safe to leave them alone. Ten had agreed, he felt that too, he was anxious and he knew Sicheng would not leave Kun unless it was necessary. Sicheng’s duty and loyalty was with Kun but Kun’s parents are an integral part of Kun’s well-being, so he has a duty to protect them too.

 

Just as dusk was approaching, Ten had sensed it and had kept Kun safe in his room, cheked all the protection spells and led both Xiaomi and Feifei towards a safe room to keep them out from harm. Ten was out of the door in his panther form when they arrived, hunters and poachers that he was familiar with, the same kind that abducted him and pulled him out of his family and traded him off to some scumbags to force a bond with.

 

“You look like a fine breed.” One hunter snickered and Ten was pissed off. He snarled at them but the poachers raised their guns towards him and started to shoot at him.

 

Ten tried to dodge as many as he could but a few of them hit him and he was wounded.

 

“Ten!” He turned to see Kun running towards him, the witch now was nearing his puberty and could understand things better and had started learning to use his magic.

 

“Are you sure you want casualties?” Ten heard one of the hunters so he turned and ran to attack them.

 

The hunters shot at him but Ten couldn’t care less as he ran as fast as he could and attacked the hunters one at a time. Ten was not aware of his surroundings anymore but he could feel magic radiating from his body and when he turned towards Kun, he was being surrounded by white smoke, and Ten was gripped with panic until a e figure nudged him.

 

“Hello Chittaphon, I see that you’ve found a strong master.” Ten recognized his great grandmother, a powerful familiar who had been bonded  with an equally strong witch. “He’s a Hedge alright, but more powerful than anyone of us could have witness, take care of him” She said and disappeared just as everything turned dark and all hunters lay dead, their ghosts being driven out into a hole while they screamed in pain and agony.

 

Ten ran towards Kun who had collapsed but still was breathing, exhausted but not hurt anywhere. “I am your great grandmother’s master and we knew you were fated to be with one of my kins, I am glad that you made your way back to where you should be.” She smiled and disappeared.

 

“I’ll take care of Kun, I promise you.” Ten murmured and he shifted to his human form to carry the wizard back to his room for him to rest.

 

 

“Kun!” Mrs. Qian’s panicked voice was heard and Ten emerged from the room and allowed her inside.

 

“What happened?” Mr. Qian asked Ten who had remained in his human form to keep an eye on Kun.

 

“We were attacked by hunters.” Ten informed him. “Kun tried to protect me, he summoned an army of spirits, including my kin.” Ten explained as Mr. Qian held the chair’s back for support and Sicheng assisted him to sit down while Ten fetched him some water.

 

“Kun amplified my magic as well, we were attacked as well.” Sicheng informed Ten. “He must have exhausted himself channeling his magic to both of us.” Sicheng added.

 

“I’m thankful that you two are here. You have kept us, especially Kun safe and sane.” He took both familiars’ hands and held them tightly.

 

 

Tena and Sicheng shared a look, they weren’t going anywhere, not when this family is all they have and were destined to love and protect, well love would come in a different form soon after.

 

----

 

 

It was clear that Kun would be a lone witch when he became of age, and his parents had accepted this fact a long time ago, even the elders of the Qian Coven understood this just as much. Kun hold too much old magic, passed on by the Qian’s ancestry to this wizard at the right time. Kun was not going to be completely alone though, since he would still have Sicheng and Ten, the familiars are bound to him and their souls and magic core had long been intertwined and almost impossible to break.

 

 

Kun’s already fourteen now, his knowledge and magic had grown with him, so much that even the Qian’s coven’s wisest member could not provide more for him. The curses that he had learned, the potions that he had brewed and the spells he had casted were as strong as any mature wizard and that was only proof that Kun’s prowess is infinite.

 

Kun sighed as he brushed Sicheng’s fur, the fox had rolled around the fallen leaves now that it was autumn. The earth has been turning a shade of orange and brown, and Sicheng, although almost always lethargic, had enjoyed the colder temperature. Ten was lounging nest to his charge, his long tail lay protectively against Kun’s waist as he took a nap and feel the remaining sun on his face.

 

“You two are such high maintenance.” Kun huffed, removing the twigs from Sicheng’s fur and tapping his snout playfully. ‘Can’t believe you were acting like a child.” Kun chuckled, continuing in his task while Ten slightly snored and Sicheng preened with the attention given to him.

 

The two however felt another presence and shared a look with each other then looked at Kun who was blissfully combing Sicheng’s fur. The presence approached them  yet Kun was either oblivious or was too reckless for his own good so Ten sighed and stood on his legs and stretched before he glared at the approaching figure.

 

Kun’s mother was by the window sill, nursing a cup of tea when he noticed the bear walked out of the woods, the same path that Ten had appeared from years back. She smiled as he watched the bear who was walking gently, trying to be as small as he could despite knowing that his size was nothing but small.

 

“Honey?” Mrs. Qian looked at her husband and he joined her by the window as they watched the bear approach their son. “Ah, it’s about time.” He said and his wife merely nodded with a smile.

 

 

Ten eyed the brown bear and then laid back down, feeling that the animal was not a threat to Kun. Sicheng looked at the bear too, snirting before ignoring him, allowing Kun to brush his fur until the wizard was content.

 

“Oh?” Kun finally reacted as he felt the paw on his leg where he sat and he smiled at the bear, clearly bigger than him but he looked as if he was a cuddly bear the humans referred to as a teddy bear. “You’re supposed to be preparing to hibernate.” Kun remarked and the bear whined in annoyance making Kun laugh. “Just kidding.” Kun remarked and proceeded to rub the bear’s ears.  

 

 

Sicheng had laid next to ten, watching the two interact as they felt the bond opening, connecting them with Kun’s new familiar. They were delighted to meet him and they felt the elemental magic course through them as the bear accepted the bond, connecting his and Kun’s core as well as opening the link towards the two.

 

 

“You don’t look like a Youngho.” Kun had looked at the bear and then conjured an earring out of thin air. “You’re more of a Johnny to me.” Kun giggled and at that, the bear shifted and gladly allowed Kun to attach the elaborate earring onto his ear.

 

“I like the sound of Johnny.” Johnny replied with his own smile.

 

“Winwin, Ten, come meet Johnny!” Kun bellowed and the two walked, in their animal form, towards thew two before they shifted and stood on Kun’s either side. “Oh you two don’t look intimidating. Kun dusted his pants as he stood, clearly Ten was a few millimeters shorter than Kun while Sicheng was a visibly taller than his master, but when Johnny stood in his full height, well he was as intimidating as his animal counterpart.

 

Johnny eyed the two familiar, noticing the similar earrings on their right ears then smiled, he did look like a teddy bear. “Nice to meet you both.” He greeted and the two smiled back, they now felt complete.

 

 

Mr. and Mrs. Qian had welcomed Johnny into he house and unlike Ten and Sicheng that would prefer their animal form, Johnny opted to be on his human form for practical reasons. “My size is really overbearing, like I am the size of the dresser!” Johnny had informed Mr. Qian who laughed at the man in front of him. “Unless you want a big brown bear occupying your living room floor, I could pass as a carpet or a couch.” Johnny added making Kun laugh and for the water to flow in the wrong pipe and choke; Ten and Sicheng glared at him as he apologized profusely.

 

 

“You’re staying in my room Johnny, I can cast an expansion spell to accommodate you.” Kun reminded him and Johnny was all smiles.

 

 

“I usually just hibernate you know? My old master had long passed and he had casted a spell for me to hibernate until my new master needed me.” Johnny explained. “She’s an elemental and we mostly stay in the forest, near a river.” Johnny added.

 

Well that sounds fun.

 

Sicheng spoke through their link.

 

“Yeah, lots of space to roam around and the river was really good for catching salmon. It’s an exercise too!” Johnny answered him and the two whined at the mention of exercise. “Not fond of it?” Johnny asked and two nodded, settling on their cushions on the side of the room near the door to the yard.

 

“You can choose a spot.” Kun gestured to the room and Johnny walked around to gauge the area before settling at a spot near a window, across Kun’s bed.

 

‘To balance out the elements.” Johnny shrugged but both Ten and Sicheng knew that it was to protect Kun, the two of them had been fiercely protective of Kun and Johnny was no different, and that earned the approval of the familiars.

 

 

Johnny made the household a little more cheerful than it used too, his sense of humor was straight out of a comedy sitcom and Kun was laughing loudly even if it was the corniest joke ever. Ten and Sicheng rolled their eyes but they were endeared with how Johnny integrated himself into the family.

 

Johnny was also helpful as a human because his built made him able to reach the higher tree branches and his elemental core had strengthen Kun’s core, building a stronger foundation for his magic to grow.

 

“They are talking about it.” Kun had said while they were picking some plants in the forest.

 

“You’re about to come into age Kun.” Johnny had replied, taking the green leaves his charge had picked and placing them into the basket he was carrying.

 

“Can they just leave me? I’m their son!” Kun was always sheltered but he was given liberty to learn on his own.

 

“And you will always be their son, but there is just so much your parents can do for you, and it would be dangerous for them without the protection of a coven.” Johnny was patient when Kun’s hormonal teen self wasn’t.

 

“I can protect them!” Kun insisted but they both know that he can’t. Kun is powerful, very powerful, but this power comes great danger and his parents would be the target of attacks for those who wanted to hurt Kun.

 

“We both know you can but you also place them in danger.” Johnny had replied and Kun sighed. ‘We’re here for you. It’s not everyday a witch gets to have three familiars, three powerful animals as well.” Johnny reiterated and Kun nodded, his familiars are really fated for him.

 

The air shifted and Johnny picked up on it, he placed Kun behind him and Johnny shifted into his bear form before charging at an approaching feral animal. A rogue wolf. Kun figured but his jaws dropped when more and more appeared, it’s a pack of rogues, a bunch of misfits that were driven away from their packs due to vile reasons.

 

“Johnny.” Kun called out and johnny ran to protect his charge from an approaching rogue. The werewolf groaned as Johnny pinned it on the ground and bit his neck. The pained growl made the other wolves to charge towards Johnny and the bear hound himself groaning in pain as several wolves had bitten him. Kun was aghast as he saw the wolves attack his familiar and it looked like Johnny was about to die. So he casted a spell and fire erupted around them, trapping them inside as hail pelted on the wolves, hitting them with force more than they could handle. Johnny felt the wolves get off his back one at a time and felt Kun’s magic run through him, angry and full of negativity. Johnny did not want this, Kun’s magic should not be tainted so he stood on his hind legs and charged at the remaining wolves, now trapped as the fire  grow taller, cutting off oxygen making the remaining wolves whining and gasping for air.

 

Johnny shifted back to his human form and shook Kun to make him snap out of his rage  and soon he fainted in the arms of the familiar, the flames dying down and allowing the rogues to ran away. Johnny was bleeding but he wasn’t concerned about his wellbeing, he cared more for Kun’s safety and his magic core. Johnny heard a howl and a pack alpha  appeared and shifted before him.

 

“They’re gone.” Johnny merely uttered and the alpha eyed the dead bodies on the ground.

 

 

“Some of them escaped, track them.” The alpha barked at his second in command and he led the pack guards to chase the remaining rogues. “I apologize, is he hurt?” The alpha asked and Johnny shook his head.

 

‘He’s exhausted but he’ll be fine.” Johnny said just as Sicheng and en growled and flagged Johnny and Kun.

 

“I mean no harm. I am Seungcheol from the carat pack and have been chasing these rogues down, they had been causing trouble in territories that they ran about.” Seungcheol, the alpha, informed them. ‘We’ll take care of them, how could we extend our assistance?” Seungcheol asked just as a familiar wolf walked next to Seungcheol and shifted.

 

“Youngho?” He spoke and Johnny eyed the man and nodded.

 

“it’s been a while Jisoo, you’ve found your destined pack.” Johnny smiled at him, genuine.

 

“Yes, I did. And I see that you found your witch.” He responded and knelt to check on Johnny’s wounds. “These are superficial, it will heal.” He said then turned to Kun. “He’s very powerful, more powerful that our old master.” Joshua hummed and stood to return to Seungcheol’s side.

 

 

“We’ll take our leave.” Johnny said, standing up and carrying Kun in his arms.

 

 

“I’ll have a few of my guards within the vicinity. I know you can handle your own, but just in case.” Seungcheol was firm so the three familiars  nodded and made their leave.

 

Kun was drained and was resting while ten and Sicheng tended to Johnny’s wounds. The bear familiar was very loud, wincing in pain making the two roll their eyes.

 

“It’s an open would, of course it will hurt.” Ten was fed up at how dramatic Johnny was.

 

“It still hurts.” Johnny sported a kicked expression before he sighed. ‘You felt it right?” Johnny asked the two who nodded. ‘I don’t want to ever feel that, Kun’s core should never be tainted.” Johnny emphasized and the two agreed.

 

‘of course, his core is pure and it should remain as that, we are here for a reason.” Sicheng reminded them.

 

Kun’s parents knew that it was time, they are a threat to Kun now more than help and with what happened in the woods, it would be difficult for Kun as they are going to be a burden. As Kun stirred and woke up, he faced his parent s and cried, they all knew that it was time but Kun will constantly receive love but this time I was not from them. And that love would be stronger than what they can provide their son.

 

On Kun’s eighteenth birthday, the new year ushered an aurora to bless Kun and his three familiars as they stood in the middle of the ceremonial rune and the head priest preceded the bonding ceremony. Although Kun had bonded with his familiars when they met and opened their links, this ritual will intertwine all four souls and solidify their bond, basically a marriage without expiration.

 

Kun was young, too young in other’s eyes, to be married to magic but he was not a normal wizard, he was one of the strongest and powerful wizards of his time and his familiars were the strongest of their kind too, amplifying Kun’s magic to lengths they were not able to understand nor want to challenge.

 

When the sun peaked from the sky and the ceremony ended, the snow pelted on the three familiars as they waited for their charge who were strengthening the protection spells of their property. Kun is officially a lone witch but as he approached their house and the three familiars waited for him with warm eyes glistening in the morning sun, Kun knew that it would alright, he is safe and will always be safe with them.

 

 

 

----

 

“Wake up sleepy bear.” Johnny groaned as Ten screamed at him.

 

“I’m a bear, I hinernate on winters!” Johnny groaned but caught the cat pawing at his stomach. “hello Leon.” He greeted the cat who meowed at him.

 

“I don’t care if you hibernate, you are in your human form.” Ten huffed then walked out of the bedroom.

 

Johnny scooped the cat and then brought him out of the room, nuzzling the cat who purred at him, he was too cute and Johnny was thankful they had adopted him and his siblings.

 

 

“Happy Birthday!” Johnny heard the greeting and Kun had made an aurora inside their living room and that made leon curious and jumped off of Johnny to play with the lights. Bella yipped on his feet and Johnny laughed as he patted the beagle before he walked towards the love of life, well loves of his life.

 

 

‘You didn’t have to!” Johnny blew out the candle of his floating cake, because  no one is tall enough for Johnny and Kun can do it without effort.

 

“better make use of my kitchen witch abilities right?” Kun giggled as Johnny pecked his cheek while both Sicheng and ten glared at him.

 

“A kiss on the cheek? Really?” Sicheng raised a brow and Loius meowed in agreement.

 

“Oh my bad.” Johnny laughed and leaned in to kiss Kun properly on the lips and then walked towards Sicheng and Ten, giving them each a peck on the lips, a second shorter than he gave Kun.

 

 

---

 

 

Kun is a powerful witch which made him a lone witch. Others may have though that it would be lonely to be alone without a coven to help you but looking at his three familiars who love and protect him, he’s not a bit lonely. There was a blizzard outside but here he was, lying on Johnny’s strong back, the bear’s fur was warm and comforting, while Ten and Sicheng rested their heads on his lap, tails curled on his legs, Bella tucked on one of Johnny’s paw, while Louis and Leon were curled up by his feet. He cast his usually protective charm and drifted to sleep, surrounded by love, the most powerful magic that he had harnessed.

 

 

 

 

 

-------

 

 

 

 

a/n: Johnny’s fight with the wolves kind of reminded me of Beauty and The beast scene when I was writing it hahahah

 

Yes I pictured Kun as a powerful wizard and he needed to have powerful familiars to harness that.