Chapter 1

The Guardian To Our Disability

Y/n freshly graduated from college at the age of 22 with a bachelor degree, her parent left Korea since she graduated high school she refused to go with them in hope to find her future here in Korea. She lives with her best friend since then. Choi Sooyoung is y/n’s best friend, roommate and used to be a neighbor.


 Y/n has been looking for a suitable job for the past two weeks other than the part time job that she works on and that’s because Sooyoung is about to get married in about a month or so, and since she’s going to move out with her soon to be husband, y/n figured out that it’s the right time to find a full time job and move to a new place.


 “y/n don’t forget about your todays interview” Sooyoung said from the living room, “I know, I’m about to get ready” said y/n while coming out of the bathroom after taking a quick shower, “did you received any news from The Ohs company yet?” Sooyoung asked, y/n inhaled quietly “no!” answering back “not yet” saying more quietly to herself.


After she finished getting ready, touching up her hair a little bet and practicing the interview in her head, she was now ready for her second interview for this month the first one was for The Ohs Company two weeks ago it was her dream company to work in since its one of the biggest companies for electronics, technology and supports different kinds of artificial intelligent projects plus it has a lot of Branches in Asia and pretty much all over the world, but since she got a chance for an interview in another company she wouldn’t miss it, you know just in case she didn’t get the first job opportunity.


Just when she was about to leave, Sooyoung reminded her “don’t forget our little trip to IKEA”, “yeah yeah Ms. Kim” y/n teased back, “hey I’m not married to him yet” Sooyoung rolled her eyes, “then stop acting like you are” y/n laughed back before she closes the door and heading to her interview.


Oh Sehun is a 26 years old successful CEO for none other than The Ohs companies, it’s his family’s legacy, Sehun took over the main branch in Korea at a young age right after his graduation and after his parent moving to France to look after the second biggest branch of the company.


Sehun travels to France from time to time to help his parent out and finish some work there, in France he also had the chance to meet his current girlfriend Lia for the first time, Lia is a beautiful and a successful French businesswoman, he was introduced to her in one of the company’s partnership events in France, they had a lot of similarities since they share the same social situation.


It was Friday and after a long day at work, Sehun was in his room preparing his suitcase for his tonight’s flight he was heading to France for the weekend and to check some work there for next week, he told his secretary to delay his next week schedule and to cancel some since he won’t be present.
While he was getting some of his clothes out of the closet, his phone rang it was Lia, he smiled and put the phone on speaker “hey babe”, “hi Sehun, how was your day at work?”, “It was fine, long but fine, did you’ve reached your office yet?” Sehun asked knowing it’s still early in France. “Yes I did, your flight is tonight right?”, “Yes, at midnight can’t wait to see you though” there was a minute of comfortable silence between them, Sehun was about to zip up his bags when Lia suddenly said, “I miss you” he smiled zipping up the bags “I miss you too babe"


Sehun didn’t have problems with long distance relationships since he’s pretty much busy all the time plus he travels to France once every month or two for a week or so, Lia do visits Korea from time to time too. “Come back safely”, “see you tomorrow. Take care” he said before hanging up.


Sehun finished organizing his bags when his phone rang again, it was his secretary “hello?”, “hello Hani, is there something wrong?”, “I’m sorry Mr. Oh but I’m afraid that there’s a schedule for next week I forgot to tell you about”, “and it’s?” he annoyingly asked “in next week we are supposed to hire new employees, should I send you their files Mr. Oh?”, “No, just cancel it, we’re going hire new ones next month”, “but Mr. Oh….”, “No buts apologize to them or something, we don’t really need new employees this month anyway” Sehun is cold hearted sometimes but he’s loyal and know what he’s doing when it comes to work “as you wish Mr. Oh” he hanged up and decide to finish some work in the laptop before his flight.


Y/n just came to the apartment right after the interview, “how was the interview?” Sooyoung said coming out of her room dressed up for their night out “it was fine but I feel like I didn’t do my best” y/n said with a pout in her face, Sooyoung hugged her “noooo, I’m sure you’ve done the best you can”, you don’t know why you have such a low energy right now, you were excited this morning but their faces were blank in the company, that what made you nervous, you don’t know if you’ve done good or not in the interview.


“Now how about you go and dress something nice and I’ll treat you for a dinner after our little trip?”, “why haven’t you said something from the beginning? I wouldn’t have been in such a mood right now,” you said running to your room “hey! Were you acting all along?”, “Maybe!!” you said closing your room’s door before Sooyoung could hit you with a cushion.


You weren’t pretending though you really are disappointed with yourself today, you feel like you could have done better since you’re really taking these job opportunities very seriously, you don’t want to be a burden to Sooyoung any more, after her marriage you don’t want her to feel guilty for leaving you alone after all the years that you spend living together.


You quickly changed your morning clothes to a nice comfy dress. The ride to IKEA was the usual with Sooyoung, all about the wedding day, the subject that won’t reach its end anytime soon. 


Sooyoung came aiming to buy the kitchenware today, “I called Mino, he will pick us for tonight’s dinner”, said Sooyoung. Oh, Kim Mino is Sooyoung’s fiancé by the way. “Okaaay?”, “What do mean by Okaaaay?!”, “am I third wheeling tonight too?” I answered obviously. “No y/n, you know you’re never a third wheel with us” she whined. “I know, but why does it sound like that?” you whined back. “don’t worry one day you won’t be third wheeling anyone”, “what do you mean by that?”, “I mean one day you will find your long waited knight” Sooyoung winked, you looked at her disgusted “yeah right after I find myself a job first”, you looked at your phone waiting for a notification from your dream job, “No one wants a broke person to be their partner” you sighed.


After a while, the cart was pretty much full with necessary and mostly unnecessary items. you would be lying if you said that you didn’t buy anything for yourself even though you don’t necessarily need it, I mean it’s IKEA after all you know how it goes after you take a round there.
While you and Sooyoung were busy looking for a carpet with a certain colour degree, you felt your phone’s vibration in your purse, it was a simple notification so you didn’t give it much thought and decided to leave it for now.


When you reached the cashier the line was long enough for you both to take another round and come back again. “Why do a lot of people have to do a home shopping today out of all the days in the year?” Sooyoung huffed. “Well it’s Friday, what did you expect? Plus we are one of them, aren’t we?” you answered back. ”Ok I’m going to take another look at the plastics section really quick just in case we forgot something”. “No Sooyoung we did not…” she ran before you could finish what you were saying, leaving you alone in the infinity long line of carts.


You don’t have a thing to do other than using your phone while waiting, to your surprise when you opened your phone the notification that you received a while ago was actually an email from the Ohs Company, you stopped thinking and breathing for a moment, what was the email about? Are they rejecting you? But why would they reject you so fast? Did you left a good impression and they’re finally accepting you? Or could this be some unimportant advertisement from the company?, you took a deep breath before reading the email very carefully.


“Hello y/n f/n, how are you? We’re sorry to inform you that your employment application has been rejected due to Some administrative adjustments. Please feel free to apply for our next month job interviews if you want, and good luck”


Okay… that was expected and unexpected at the same time but nonetheless, you feel broken now. And what the hell is administrative adjustments? Is this’s a new lame way to reject employees in a way to not make them feel so bad about the rejection? 


You were so lost that you didn’t notice that the line is moving and that Sooyoung was already here and talking to you “are you listening to me?” you finally lift your eyes from your phone and looked at her “what?” you asked, she eyed you carefully “what had you so lost in your phone like that?”, “nothing” you answered, not looking at her in the eyes. “y/n don’t lie to me you look ill, tell me what happened?”, “ just got a little tired from standing I guess”, “y/n you can’t lie to me for long you know that right?”, “believe me it’s nothing serious” 
You didn’t want to tell Sooyoung about the news, you know even if she doesn’t show it, she will be a little disappointed, she always had faith in you. 
“Let’s get you something to drink while waiting for Mino” we waited in one of IKEAs café until Mino arrived.


“Let’s go, I know a nice dinner will make you feel a whole lot better”, you didn’t move from your place, “Sooyoung look, you go with Mino, I’ll take the bus and go home”, “y/n what’s wrong? You know I won’t leave knowing you’re not feeling well”, “I’ll tell you later, for now, I really want to take a rest. Now go and have fun before you make me feel guilty for ruining your night”.


“Promise you’ll tell me what happened later” Sooyoung asked looking dead serious. “I promise”, you gave her a weak smile before she took her leave and telling you to call her if you needed anything.


Now going home wasn’t the best idea at all. You can’t get that stupid email out of your head, In your opinion, you did actually a really good job in their interview comparing to the one you just had this morning. You must stop thinking before you lose it.


You decided to take your bike and go to a nearby convenience store, it wasn’t the best idea since its 10 pm and you’re going by yourself, not really caring when will you be back.


Sehun was so deep in his work, the time was flying by without him really noticing, only when his phone lighted up to a notification did his eyes went to the clock, and to his surprise, it was past 11 already.


The flight is at exact 12 o’clock, and the ride to the airport is 40 to 45 minutes minimum, Sehun was lost he didn’t know what to do, he can’t cancel tonight’s flight, his schedule is so tight that he can’t just reschedule his flight to tomorrow. 


He decided to call his chauffeur and tell him that he’s going to ride his own car to the airport. Sehun quickly took his belongings and headed to his fastest sporty car. 
You on the other hand were now drunk and still with a dark cloud clouding your head outside one of the small convenience stores near your area. And to complete your sadness the sky decided to share your loneliness and started to rain heavily.


You took that as a sign to head back, you checked the time, it’s 11:30. The weather is already too cold and with it raining now you were sure you’re going to catch a cold by the time you head to the apartment, thinking that this will be the worst way you could possibly end your day with, clueless to what the fate hiding to you.
It started to rain, “great” Sehun said to himself, Sehun left the house 15 minutes ago, he totally forgot that today is Friday and the streets are busy at night, it will be a miracle if he reached the airport on time.  


Overtime, the road to the airport started to become less and less crowded, and Sehun is pulling up the speed with each passing minute.
There are only 30 minutes left to the flight, but he didn’t pay much attention to the time, focusing only on reaching his distention.


Suddenly his phone rang “who could it be now?”, Sehun wondered fanatically. The phone was at the edge of his next seat, he reached for it but fell off the moment his fingers made a contact with the phone. He let out a loud groan; he checked the street one more time before searching for his phone, thankfully the street ahead of him is completely empty.


It took Sehun 30 seconds to find the phone, when he was about to focus back on the street suddenly he felt something hit the hood of the car, not a second when he looked back the front glass was being shattered into millions of pieces, he couldn’t see anything from all the glass being shot to his face.

To Sehun’s horror he couldn’t move or do anything, he felt a rush of pain creeping to his head and he tried to open his eyes but he failed, the pain was unbearable, he couldn’t resist the argue of falling unconscious right now, his mind shut down immediately within few minutes of the incident. The last thing he was able to hear before drifting to a complete darkness is his phone ring for the second time tonight. 

You’re riding to the apartment with only your body being in control, your mind is both drunk and clouded, you know it’s a bad idea to ride a bike in your situation, but you don’t see any risk since the way to the apartment is pretty much empty, and you don’t have to cross any suspicious alleyways. You just let your body take over control, being soaked by the rain and your thoughts in a completely different place.


In one moment, you just wanted to close your eyes and enjoy this feeling and forget about what happened today, you closed your eyes for 5 seconds just 5 seconds, but you didn’t know that what could happen in these 5 seconds was able to shift your life from one to another. 


While you had your eyes closed, you didn’t know that you were about to cross a street, and that’s where everything started. 
Your bike hit the front of a car really hard, you opened your eyes and felt yourself without letting go of the bike being pulled to the hood, the sound of a broken glass was all you could hear at the moment, and a sudden sharp of pain you felt at the lower part of your body, you are now fully awake, eyes wide open, there’s no alcohol left in your system not anymore.


The owner stopped the car, and you are now lying on the street facing the sky. 
To your shock, you couldn’t move a finger. All you can feel is an unbearable pain that slowly turned into a numb feeling all over your body, you can’t believe this’s how your life will end, it wasn’t the most excited one but you didn’t expect it to end so soon. You’re just 22, you still have a life ahead of you. These were your thoughts before your eyes that were facing the rainy sky and your body gave up and slowly shut down from exhaustion.
If you knew better this was actually the start of a new chapter of your life not the end of it.