end.

I'm always one step ahead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Autumn came and flourished, resulting in trees browning into copper-gold and carmine red. The leaves have dried and fallen like raindrops, scattering the pathways with their chipped pieces. Every step resounded a quiet crunch, loud enough for the creatures in the forest to hear. This part of the woods is isolated from any civic life. The nearest community would be on the peripheries of the West. Townspeople would rarely trek to this place because of its labyrinth construction; except the lumberjacks, who would scout the forest every winter. The sky has blended into a rose-colored palette—the sun is preparing to meet its dusk. It was the perfect spot for leisure, with no crowd. And it was also coincidental that it was their only available time.

 

By the clearing, the women prance perched on their stallions. Lazing in the cool wind, relishing the presence of one another.

 

Chaeyoung was following behind the queen. Jennie eyed the lake that was at the end of their route, while the knight stared at her. How she has the perfect posture, how the breeches fit her well, how she looks different when bathing under the afternoon's sweetened light. When Jennie told her that she had the day off, she took the chance to ask her out for a horse ride. It's been so long since they've had time for themselves.

 

Jennie suddenly looked over her shoulder, summoning the knight to come close. As Chaeyoung marched with her stallion at tow, the queen asked.

 

"So, how long before you leave for the seaside village?"

 

As of now, the seaside village is experiencing a shortage of supplies. Livestock, businesses, and other essential markets were burned in a wildfire. Thankfully, the mortality rate was no higher than a fourth of the population, as the fire was extinguished by the nearby waters. A troop, to be led by Commander Park Chaeyoung, is set to send help.

 

"Hmm... two weeks, possibly."

 

"Two weeks? Quite short, I see."

 

"The earlier we leave, the earlier we'll arrive. It's better if we don't prolong the dispatch. Apparently, the wreck has been going on for weeks." Chaeyoung explains, reading distant in the horizon—the sun is now dipping below the line.

 

"The people must be starving..." Jennie shakes her head, tutting in pity.

 

"I plan to carry more rations than intended, for emergency purposes."

 

"Yes. That's a good call."

 

They looked at each other, and for a while, no one spoke. They're now far away from the East the more they advance. Both felt like they were transported back somewhere in time. Chaeyoung was less tall than she was now and wore a much more casual outfit. Jennie, on the other hand, lacked any royal titles and had cheeks plumper than of a baby's. In their hearts, they thought of that moment where they were younger, and that a quiet time like this was just a ritual. Now—with such responsibilities weighing on their shoulders—a spare time like this is as rare as gold.

 

Chaeyoung tightens her grip at the reins, heart aching, but not essentially hurt, with their new reality.

 

"Say, it's been so long since we've ridden out like this." the guard comments, subtly bringing their horses together.

 

Jennie hummed. "It's pleasant weather today."

 

"One of the rare days you actually took Kuma out." Chaeyoung nodded at the hazel-haired stallion Jennie was sitting on. "Poor horse was rotting in the stables."

 

The queen rolled her eyes, punching Chaeyoung's iron-clad shoulder.

 

"Oh, my apologies—! I have a kingdom to run, and can't go out whenever I please."

 

They both chuckle. Their glee was the only sound reverberating in the forest. Jennie contemplated the guard—how she's grown, and how much has happened in their little land of East. How did time fly by so fast? Suddenly she's now a queen, and Chaeyoung a knight, like how everything was set to be. But Jennie yearns; for that anomaly, one that she can't put a name on.

 

"Remember when we'd ride our horses like this?" Jennie asked, eyes wandering at the sepia trees.

 

Chaeyoung giggled, reminiscing about their past as well.

 

"Yes, we'd race and... I'd always win."

 

"Pft. That may not be the case anymore." Jennie scoffs.

 

"Hmm?"

 

"With you—always winning."

 

Chaeyoung fully turned to her, amused by how serious Jennie sounds.

 

"And why's that?"

 

"Because we've grown, of course." The brunette shrugged.

 

The golden-haired made a pondering noise.

 

"You know, with you being a queen, I can understand. That your skills in... certain fields might be rusty now."

 

The royal gasped. "You're mocking my horse riding skills?"

 

Jennie continued to glare at her, stopping her horse in front of Chaeyoung. She straightened her posture, eyebrows furrowed and lips pursed into a thin line.

 

"I bet if we race again, I'd win."

 

"My, did I hit a nerve?" The knight lets out a boisterous laugh. "Sorry, it's just that, you're implying you can beat me."

 

"Of course I can! Challenge me for anything else and I can say—I will defeat you."

 

"What a spirit. You're only testing your luck."

 

"Please. And you're just scared."

 

Chaeyoung squinted her eyes, sizing Jennie up and down with an amused smirk on her lips. They had enough time to play some trivial games. And with Jennie's willpower—the knight figured it wouldn't be a trouble to entertain her while she can. She clicks her tongue, slowly nodding in agreement.

 

"Fine. You're on, princess. And while we're on this, I bet on swordplay too."

 

Jennie grinned, one that mirrored the Cheshire Cat. She tilted her chin up, reflecting Chaeyoung's inquisitive glare.

 

"Last to arrive in the training room is a rotten egg!"

 

Then, like a child, the queen takes off, zooming past the unsuspecting knight. Chaeyoung watched with widened eyes, shouting after the monarch. She maneuvered her bridle to where Jennie ran, all in haste—but she also had a serene smile on her face.

 

 

Surprisingly, Jennie was the first to arrive.

 

At this time of day, the training was already closed shut. Knights were on their respective posts, or if not, were running errands all over the place. Though, being a commander had its perks; Chaeyoung can easily slip in and out of the room whenever she pleases. The training room was an enclosed, wide-range location, full of equipment and such. It was also a bit isolated from the village, so only a few were aware of where it was. When Jennie and Chaeyoung arrived, they scanned the place. No one was present—to which they smiled.

 

Back when they were children, they'd amuse themselves with a bit of swordplay. It started when Chaeyoung was just an apprentice knight—little Jennie volunteered that she'd be her training partner whenever they'd have time. So, they would venture the grasslands, each with her own stick, clashing their weapons together like amateurs. Afternoons were filled with bruises and youthful giggles. And while they enjoyed it, they also polished their knowledge with the blade. Soon enough, the soft wooden rods turned into actual steel.

 

They barged in, dropping their jockey caps on the ground before assessing themselves. Jennie started braiding her hair from the back as Chaeyoung watched her—she huffed aggressively, making sure that the brunette heard her annoyance.

 

"That was unfair, you know."

 

"What was unfair?" Jennie batted her eyelashes at the knight, eyes twinkling, and had a smile as wide as ever.

 

"Running off like that. Getting a head start!"

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter