Chapter 1 - The Encounter

Love Is In The Air

AeRa POV

It’s the day I’ve been waiting for. I’ve been invited to the University i used to attend. “Are you ready, AeRa?” my bestfriend MiJoo asked. “Yes, i’m ready. Let’s go and see this Byun BaekHyun,” I said full of hatred. BaekHyun is going to attend the ceremony held at the University to give a speech. 

After 45 minutes, I arrived at the University. When I was about to enter the ceremony hall, I ran into my previous lecturer. “AeRa, it’s so good to see you again,” she said and I gave her a friendly hug. “Good to see you too, Ms Park,” I said. “Actually, I have some good news. You may be able to come back to university but then its gonna cost a lot. Is there anyone who can support you?” Ms Park asked. 

I hesitated. I thought to myself ‘I wanna study and achieve my dreams but now it seems impossible as I dont come from a wealthy family.’ “AeRa?” Ms Park called. “Really? But at the moment I dont think I could afford that,” I answered sadly. “It’s okay AeRa, I know its hard now, but I’m sure you’ll find your way. I’ll be here alright?” Ms Park said. 

 

BaekHyun POV

It’s a typical morning for me. Get up, dress up and go to work. The same routine everyday. But today, I’ve been invited to the University to give out some speech for the students there. I quickly drove off to my office first as I have something to settle before going to the University. 

“Mr Byun, there’s an invitation on your table,” my assistant told me. “You might not want to see that, Baek,” my bestfriend, Chanyeol said. “I’ll still be checking it out,” I said and went to my office. I saw a red invitation card and checked it out. It was bad bad news, its from my ex-girlfriend, YuMi. She’s getting engaged with someone else this weekend. I’m mad and furious as she moved on so fast. In the invitation envelope, there’s a handcuff. “Great idea for such a stupid engagement.” I decided to bring it and put it in my car and head straight to the University.

After almost an hour, I made it to the University and I was invited inside and have been asked to sit on the stage for my speech along with the MC. The event started, and I was invited to give out speech to the student. 

“Hello and Good Morning everyone! I’m Byun BaekHyun from The Art company. It is such an honour to be invited to the most well-known University. I’m glad to be standing here and giving speech for the wonderful students,” I said. I continued, “So, this University is known to be very popular with Architecture majors. Therefore, Architecture is a very impressing line of work or major as we can express our ideas into a piece of art. Also, I’m so honoured to be able to sponsor some students for scholarship in Italy,” I stopped as I was interrupted by one girl. 

 

AeRa POV

I went inside the hall and sat down one row with my friends. “Everyone is excited to see this Byun BaekHyun, I heard he’s very charming and very very handsome,” one of my friend, Jen said. “I can’t wait to embarrass this guy,” I said with tone full of annoyance, hatred. “You better dont do anything stupid,” MiJoo said. 

“Let’s invite Mr Byun BaekHyun of The Art to give his speech this morning,” the MC said. With that, he walked towards the stage. I looked at him the first thing. ‘He’s hot and handsome actually.’ I thought. ‘Shut up AeRa, you’re confronting him and you really hate him!!’ I thought again. 

“Hello and Good Morning everyone! I’m Byun BaekHyun from The Art company. It is such an honour to be invited to the most well-known University. I’m glad to be standing here and giving speech for the wonderful students,” Byun BaekHyun said. He continued, “So, this University is known to be very popular with Architecture majors. Therefore, Architecture is a very impressing line of work or major as we can express our ideas into a piece of art. Also, I’m so honoured to be able to sponsor some students for scholarship in Italy,” he stopped his speech.

“What a fake, Mr Byun BaekHyun,” I interrupted as all eyes in the hall was on me. “What the hell are you doing, AeRa?!?!” MiJoo said as she panicked. “Stop, Aera.” Jen said. “If you’re really that proud of sponsoring students, you wouldn’t have cancelled it after you have already confirmed it, such hypocrite,” I said. 

 

BaekHyun POV

“What a fake, Mr Byun BaekHyun,” she said from a far. She continued, “If youre really that proud of sponsoring students, you wouldnt have cancelled it after you have already confirmed it, such hypocrite,” she continued. 

I was calm and I answered her, “If you have something to say, please come forward and let me see you.” Then, she walked out from one of the rows and show herself. I looked at her, “May I know your name? It must be some kind of a mistake,” I said. “You dont deserve to know my name,” she said and walked away. 

This girl is something else. No one have ever confronted me and said those things to my face in front of so many people. So, the event went smoothly although there were some interruptions. I went inside my car as the event already wrapped up. 

My assistant called me and I had to take the call. While I was on the phone, I heard scraping sound coming from my car. I looked to my right, it was the girl who confronted me. She scraped my car and she’s writing something with her lipstick. And, I let the window down on my car, and looked at her. She looked surprised. 

“What the hell are you thinking? Scraping my car? Vandalising other people’s car,” I said and looked at her. She said, “I hate you, Byun BaekHyun.” “If you want my help, let me get your name. There must be something wrong and I’ll get it checked out on the scholarship,” I said nicely. “I dont need your help, you ruined my dreams when all I wanna do is just study and graduate University,” she said angrily. “I get it okay. Just tell me your name and I’ll help you get the scholarship back,” I said. I looked away while waiting for her answer. 

 

AeRa POV

“I get it okay. Just tell me your name and I’ll help you get thenscholarship back,” he said. He looked away, and I saw there’s a handcuff in his car, I grabbed it and handcuffed hers with mine. He looked surprised. “Now what?” he asked furiously. “I hate you, you must have the key to this handcuff, Byun BaekHyun.” I said in annoyance. “Too bad, I dont,” he said frustratedly.

I dont know what to do, I grabbed it because he was so annoying and I’m not done confronting him. “You know what, I have an important meeting to attend at the hotel, you have to come with me. I’m running really late,” he said as he is frustrated. “I dont wanna come with you, we’re not settled yet,” I said angrily. “Well, you dont have a choice!,” he said and grabbed me. 

“I cant drive now, you handcuffed the wrong hand,” he said as he is pissed off. “You’ll drive to the hotel,” he said again. “Fine!” I said. He entered from my side to the passenger side and settled. “Do you know how to drive?” he asked. I didnt answer him and just drove off fast. “God, you better not crash my car,” he said. 

“I dont know whats happening now! It’s your fault,” I said to him angrily. “It’s your fault, if you didnt handcuffed my hand with yours, this wouldve not happen at all!” he said to me. “Screw that. You ruined my life and I’ll ruin yours, Byun BaekHyun,” I said.