Chapter 1 - END

You Wouldn't Answer My Call

 

Jo Kwon sat lifelessly on the floor, staring blankly at the white ring box in front of him. Occasionally one of the silver ring that was placed neatly on the box. He glanced at the calendar in front of him that says today is 20 September. His lover’s birthday, Anniversary, and also her death Anniversary.

He never thought that day would come. Before, he was just a man who never knew what is it like to love, and be loved.  Until that girl came.

Son Gain.

The girl who had taught him how to love.

The girl who had changed his heart.

The girl who made him feel empty without her.

Son Gain, the girl who meant the world to him.

And now she was gone, gone forever. Never to reappear before him again.

“Yeobo, why did you have to go?” he thought to himself.

He was about to get up from where he was, until the phone ring stopped him.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

“Yeoboseyo?” he answered lazily.

“Kwon-ah, eodiya?”

His eyes widened. A feeling of shock goes through his body at once. That voice. That sweet, husky, and somewhat concerned voice.  But---

“Yah. Kwon-ah.  Why don’t you say anything? Are you sick?”

“Ah. A-ani, ani. W-where are you?”

“I already got here, silly. Our apartment, remember? Listen. I’m only waiting for another 30 minutes. Or else, I’m going back home again.” The person on the other line said teasingly.

“N-neh. I’m on my way.”

Yes, it was her voice. Gain’s voice.  The voice of the girl he used to love so much. The voice of the girl he misses badly.  What if he had given the second chance? What if he had given the chance to save his girl? To bring back what was once belonged to him?

Without another word, he quickly grabbed his jacket and left the room.

Meanwhile, Gain closed her cellphone lid in confusion, as she carried her things to celebrate her and Jo Kwon’s Anniversary.  “Aish. I knew he would do this to me.” she mumbled.  As she was walking, she brushed past a guy with a black suit. She stopped and glanced at him for a second. Thinking that she might’ve known this guy from somewhere…

She turned around and continued walking. That guy looked at her and inspected her every detail.

Jo Kwon ran with all his might. Adrenaline pumping through his every single vein.  He had finally reached their apartment.

Meanwhile, Gain was busy decorating their apartment room with balloons and ribbons. Although she wasn’t the type that like these stuffs, but she tried her best to make him happy. “I’m definitely not good at these stuffs…” she stepped back and inspected her final work.

Jo Kwon kept running until he had finally reached the floor where their apartment is at.  He was still breathing hard and coughing, only to find police lines in front of their apartment door, along with some ribbons and room decorations which was already messed up.

He was too late.

He tried to break into the police lines, but only to be stopped by two strong hands of the security guards.

“Sorry Sir, you can’t be here.”

“Ani. Ani. It can’t be true. GAIN-AH! GAIN-AH! YEOBO!!”

He struggled , trying to break free from their strong grips as he kept screaming his lover’s name, tears started flowing down his cheeks.

The security guards brought him back to the lobby. Despite his struggles, the two man managed to push him down to sit.

He tried calming himself down, taking a few deep breaths and gather himself together before calling Gain. He pressed onto the numbers with his trembling fingers.

“Yeoboseyo?”
“Yeobo. Listen to me. Don’t open the door until I get there, got it?”
“Mwo? Ani. You’re just trying to trick me, aren’t you?” She chuckled.
“Aniyo. Yeobo, please just----“

Knock. Knock. Knock.

“See? I told you you’re lying. I’ll get the door for you.”
“Don’t. Gain-ah. GAIN-AH! ANDWAE! GAI----“ Before he finished his sentence, she hung up and headed to the door. The panicking Jo Kwon could only dial her number again and again, hoping she would pick up.

“Yah. Kwo---“ she choked on her words, once she finds the guy from the lobby earlier, is now in front of her.  She quickly tried to close the door, but her strength was no match to his.

Meanwhile, Jo Kwon was still crying hysterically, dialing her number again and again.

“GAIN-AH. ANDWAE! I TOLD YOU NOT TO!! GAIN-AH! AND---  Andwae… Gain-ah….

I told you not to…”