Final

Cold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The moment Kyuhyun opened his eyes, he instantly felt the extreme cold. So much so that he could feel his limbs getting numb with each second that passed while he stared at his ceiling. But it's okay, he thought. It’s going to be okay. He was used to it by now. The weather hadn't been kind lately afterall. 

Waking up earlier than he normally does due to a recording schedule, he got up from his bed unwillingly. If he were to choose, he'd rather stay in bed - close his eyes and get some more sleep. Sometimes even when he’s incredibly tired, he enjoys working. But there were days that he would rather not. This was one of those days. And the weather wasn’t helping either. He always felt tired after a night of rain endlessly pouring down.

Today's first schedule was different, however. He was to film with Super Junior for a short interview for Esquire. Kyuhyun’s been busy with his solo activities and shows that being with his band members was so rare. He can’t help but to feel happy to see his second family again.

That thought made him more enthusiastic about getting out of bed. But then Kyuhyun stopped when he realized:

Ryeowook would be there too.

It had been a while since they last talked. He wondered if the two of them could act the same towards each other, to make up for the lost time.

The enthusiasm quickly faded, replaced by overthinking and second guesses. Kyuhyun sighed as he got ready to start his long day.

 

The rain had to stop for him to function well today.

 

----

 

When Kyuhyun arrived on set, Ryeowook was the first one there.

"Hey Ryeowook," Kyuhyun greeted. “Morning.”

"Hey." The older replied with a half hearted nod, not even glancing away from his phone. He’s probably online shopping again, Kyuhyun thought.

The next few minutes passed with an awkward silence between them. What should Kyuhyun say? He doesn’t know what Ryeowook’s been up to lately. Conversations usually flow so naturally whenever they talk. Now Kyuhyun feels like he and Ryeowook had nothing to bond over anymore. 

“How are you lately?” Kyuhyun asked. Maybe starting a small talk would work. It usually does. Kyuhyun would ask that typical question and Ryeowook would pick up from there. “It’s been a while.”

“I’m fine.” Ryeowook answered.

“That’s good.” Kyuhyun nodded, thinning his lips from the flat response. Maybe they just need to warm up to each other again. That doesn’t come back quickly. They might need time.
 

----

 

"Ryeowook... Can I tell you something?" 

"Yeah, of course!" Ryeowook followed Kyuhyun to go somewhere more private. "Is there something wrong?" He added with most concern in his eyes. 

"Nothing's wrong... but..." Kyuhyun swallowed as if to keep down the nervousness stuck in his throat. “I just want to say that… I...”

Everyone knows Kyuhyun and Ryeowook are the closest of friends in the group. So close that even their own co-members were confused on what they really were. Teasings from them occured, with Kyuhyun and Ryeowook sometimes just riding along with it. But despite all of that, the two maknaes remained the same. They kept dancing between the line of friendship and romance. That boundary was so blurry but the two never bothered to talk it out. Kyuhyun didn’t think it was necessary. They were happy. He was happy.
 

----
 

Leeteuk arrived with Yesung following not long after. Their appearance made Kyuhyun release a breath he didn’t remember holding in. The two olders’ voices broke the silence in the room as they exchanged banter towards each other and the staff. It was fun to watch. But Kyuhyun couldn’t focus.

This would be a fun interview. Goofing around with the members will loosen them up. Kyuhyun shouldn’t be too gloomy.

The staff finished preparing the lighting and set for them to start filming. 4 chairs were lined for them - the seating arrangement being Ryeowook > Kyuhyun > Yesung > Leeteuk.

This is fine, Kyuhyun said in his mind. They can play around like they used to. Maybe make fun of their hyungs for their In or Out choices. That’s right. Everything will be okay.

Kyuhyun was hopeful. Until Ryeowook picked his chair up to move farther from his, sitting back down like nothing’s wrong.

Kyuhyun swallowed. His chest tightened. It was all suddenly heavy. Hope and positivity went as quickly as they arrived. 

No one batted an eye from Ryeowook’s actions. Why would they? The two of them have been like this for so long now. Casual friends. Acquaintances. Work mates.

Maybe what they needed wasn’t something to relate to. It was the interest from Ryeowook to actually continue a conversation. The friendship they lost.

 

Kyuhyun had to keep the rain at bay.

 

----
 

“I just want to say that… I...”

“Yeah?” Ryeowook encouraged Kyuhyun to continue after trailing off. “You can always tell me what’s bothering you.”

Always so concerned. Always so kind. That’s one of the reasons why Kyuhyun’s so attracted to him so much. Despite all the mischief and sass Ryeowook has in his body, Ryeowook is selfless.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter