First and Last

No Longer

 

Beautiful.

Enchanting.

Ethereal.

He could go on and on. He could list all the adjectives in the world but it could never really be enough to describe the most wonderful sight he's seeing in front of him: Youngjae in his tuxedo, smiling brightly.

It looked a lot like a scene from a movie. The light from the window shining down his frame like some heavenly light and Daehyun felt himself falling again. 

...

'Who wouldn't fall for him?', Daehyun thought to himself as he gently approached him, drinks in hand.

He gently placed their drinks on the table and slid Youngjae's towards him, careful to not disturb him. It's never good to disturb Youngjae, especially when he's immersed in a book, Daehyun's been at the end of his wrath for unknowingly doing just that, one too many times that he's being very careful now. 

At first, he didn't get how easily Youngjae could get annoyed at the simplest things. They didn't really see eye to eye before, Youngjae with his sassy attitude and Daehyun's no nonsense one. In fact, they considered each other rivals. They get into arguments a lot, even over petty reasons, until that fateful day when he saw Youngjae crying alone in the hidden corner of the staircase no one frequents. No one really went to that part of the school unless told to run errands because the place was rumored to be haunted. Imagine Daehyun’s surprise when he saw Youngjae hunched in the corner trying to hide his sniffles. Youngjae looked so defeated and sad that Daehyun couldn't stop himself and talked to him, maybe comfort him a little. No one deserves to be sad alone and it's not something Daehyun would wish on anyone. 

He realized then that Youngjae was actually cool, that underneath all the sassy exterior was a dork like him that loves anime and ice cream. He also learned that they share a lot of things in common and before he knew it, they were best friends. They became inseparable, attached at the hip you could say, even went to the same college after.

Everything was good, actually, everything was going great. Only, in between the late night movie marathons, cramming sessions and midnight fast food runs Daehyun fell in love.

It's weird, Daehyun thought. How easily he fell for him. How the annoying sassiness was translated by his brain as endearing and cute. How natural loving Youngjae was for him, like it was his purpose in life.

And like any great tragic love story ever written. Daehyun’s love was not reciprocated. It was okay, he was fine, he would often tell himself. He fell but it didn’t mean the one he fell for would fall for him as well. Love never works that way, he knew that. So, he smiled and congratulated him on all his successful dates, all the while wishing he could take the place of whoever was beside Youngjae. Oh how much he wished! But wishing never did anyone anything, he realized.

A blaring ring disrupted Daehyun from his thoughts. He knew that ringtone, it’s the one Youngjae set for his current girlfriend, “this one is special, Dae!” he remembered Jae rave about her once. And as he looked at the bright smile that appeared on Youngjae’s face as he answered her call, he could tell that much.

….

Beautiful.

Enchanting.

Ethereal.

He could still go on and on. He could list all the adjectives in the world but it could never really be enough to describe the most wonderful sight he's seeing in front of him: Youngjae in his tuxedo, smiling brightly. Youngjae stood there all jittery and excited, Daehyun gave him a thumbs up as a silent reassurance.

It looked a lot like a scene from a movie as the newlyweds danced and celebrated. Daehyun being the good bestfriend that he is, celebrated with them, ecstatic at their happiness. 

"We'll leave first, Dae." Youngjae told him as the party came to a close.

He flashed them a smile and bid them goodbye, watched as they left hand in hand to their happily ever after. It hurts to know that the one you love loves someone else, it's torture to keep on a facade of the happy bestfriend, but seeing the happiness in Youngjae’s face, Daehyun thought it’s worth all the heartaches and more.

Afterall, loving someone means letting them go, right?