Final

Arguments and Trophies

A/N: Hello! This is the first time I've written anything Minkura (Minkkura???) related so please bare with me! Thank you for taking the time to read this OS. I'm still trying to learn and improve, so any comments and/or feedbacks are greatly appreciated. Feel free to follow me on twitter (@burntbraincell) and let me know about your thoughts through there too! CC is also welcomed!

 

CC: https://curiouscat.live/burntbraincell

 

I'd like to use this chance to thank twitter user @elixiriz for being super supportive and even recommending my work for people to read. Thank you so much for being supportive of my work and for all the positive comments! I'm really thankful that someone out there like you would enjoy reading my works! This one's for you buddy :) I hope you're not disappointed haha

 

*** 

 

‘You know we’re probably going to be going up against them right? WIZ High has a super strong debate team and they are basically the smartest school in the country,’ said a worried Yena. She’s usually not that worried about anything and that includes yearly assessments or any exams. Blessed with an easy going nature and a carefree personality, it was uncharacteristic of the duck. But you guess the debate finals are important enough to her.    

 

‘And?’ 

 

‘Kura, you’re Japanese. What happens if you stutter, mispronounce a word or screw up all the points?’ 

 

‘AND?!’ you widen your already big eyes even more as you give Yena a hard look. The two of you were known as Tom and Jerry and honestly, if anyone has seen the dynamic of you two, they would tell you that the two of you are the literal embodiment of the characters. Though you do like to take pride in being Jerry. You don’t say it often but you’d like to say you’re the smarter one. Your grades are always within the top 5 in the grade anyway. On the other hand, you can’t really...uh...vouch for Yena.  

 

‘You’re only fluent when you’re angry!’ joked Yena, as she got ready to run out of the debate club room. You shot up from your seat and was about to give her a piece of your mind when you noticed that Chaeyeon had silently opened the door and was about to make her way inside. Your eyes met and you slowly sat back down while keeping an eye on Yena. Yena had a smug grin on her face while slowly sitting herself down on the vacant seat next to Yujin. Oh no, she’s not getting away with anything. You’re just going to save this for another day. Revenge of some sort you know? Chaeyeon is here and you don’t want your sweet childhood friend having to deal with the two of you today. 

 

Seeing as how everyone seemed a little more settled, Chaeyeon piped up from the door with the news of the debate finals. 

 

‘Hey guys, so I’ve gotten some more information about the debate finals from Ms Jung. Just as we predicted, we’re up against WIZ High.’ 

 

Out of the corner of your eye, you can see Yena having a whiplash when she turns to you so she could shoot you an annoying smirk. And Yujin’s hand shot up in the air and waved her hand around. The girl always liked clarification and was probably wanting to ask a question. But you guess within the small debate team you have in your school, everyone knows each other too well. You guys were like a little family.  

 

‘Pres-’

 

‘And yes, it’s confirmed for next Thursday.  Judges are going to be from Flover Academy so it's fair. And no Yujin, you are not allowed to try and sneak and find out the topic. You’re also not allowed to harass poor Jiheon about it.’ You watched as Yujin slowly put her waving hand down. The poor girl never got to ask her question but got the answers she needed anyway. 

 

Whispers erupted from the room. Honestly the whispers were too loud to be made by two girls. You and Chaeyeon were both silent while watching Yena and Yujin whisper amongst themselves. You know you’re not hearing things but you do want to confirm with them. What does Yena mean when she not-so quietly whispers to Yujin about kidnapping a certain puppy from Flover Academy and tickling her until she spills about the debate topic?! 

 

You could only guess that amongst the ‘hush’ whispering strange suggestions would be thrown about. But with Nako and Hitomi moving to sit in a little circle with the two and actively joining in in the whispered discussion, you can only pray that your two friends would steer the conversation to more appropriate subjects like coming up with possible debate topics. The two exchange students were in their second year and have been nothing but reliable. When they joined, they voluntarily took on some of your responsibility. Now, don’t get you wrong. You love the chaotic duo so much, but they can be...a handful sometimes. As a good student and the oldest amongst them, you had your responsibilities and Chaeyeon had to balance both being president of the debate club and dance club? You can only guess how busy she would be. You were so grateful that both you and Chaeyeon could take a break from the two energetic members of the debate team when they joined. 

 

Chaeyeon walked over to sit in the vacant seat on your right. You took a glance at the little group huddled on the opposite end of the table before turning back to the debate club president. She looked at you and you could feel she had a question that was about to be thrown in your face. So you waited for her to say something first.   

 

‘Hey, you okay?’ 

 

That wasn’t what you expected. You were honestly expecting some sort of question regarding the upcoming project that was due on the same day as the debate finals. Something along the lines of ‘hey have you finished?’ or even the usual ‘Kura, I need help’. But that doesn’t seem to be the case so you could only guess what she’s trying to ask from her vague question. 

 

‘What makes you think I’m not okay Jjaeyeon?’ you shot your childhood friend a smile. 

 

‘I know you Kura...she’s going to be there if it’s WIZ High...’

 

Your mind immediately traveled back to the summer of when you first settled in Korea. Your father had relocated the whole family because of his work and was lucky enough that Chaeyeon’s family was so willing to help the family out. It could also be the fact that Uncle Lee was a regular guest in your house when your family was still in Japan and that he was working alone in the country. He had happened to work with your dad and they hit it off. His family would come to visit him in Japan every holiday and that’s how you got to meet your childhood friend. The ever-so-sweet Lee Chaeyeon who just so happens to be an overachiever and a dance prodigy. Perhaps, her crazy study habits back in middle school rubbed off on you and you ended up studying really hard too.

 

Chaeyeon was busy with her usual dance practices at the academy so you took this chance to explore the place yourself. You managed to find your way to the library and being the nerdy self you are, you went inside to look for some books regarding computer science. You were marvelling at the interior of the library, head looking around and taking in the scene. But you must’ve been too focused on being amazed by a mere library because the next thing you knew, you had bumped into a girl who was carrying a stack full of books. One of the heavier books had bounced off a nearby table and unfortunately hit you in the shin. You grimaced from the pain and the girl who recovered from the fall had quickly apologized. Her eyes were clouded with guilt and worry and she had asked you if you were okay. It was when you stopped scrunching up your face in pain and looked at her that you felt your breath being taken away. The girl was beautiful and honestly looked more like a model than someone who would hang around in the library voluntarily. You were about to reassure her that you were okay, when a quick call from someone stole her attention. She looked diagonally behind you and nodded before quickly gathering the books, apologized and rushed over in the direction of the person who called her.      

 

Although it was short, you know you definitely felt something. It was probably just the whole ‘wow, she’s so pretty’ than anything. But with the amount of times you would see her when you hung out with Chaeyeon during the supposed summer holidays at the nearby malls and cafes, you’d find yourself seeing her too. 

 

And that’s when you knew you were screwed. You seem to have a fat crush on the girl who nearly broke your leg with a heavy book. 

 

But now that you’re older, you know better. You don’t need love. There was no point giving your all for something that won’t happen. Plus, the passing of your parents had taught you the pain that would come with losing people that meant the world to you.   

 

‘Just coz I find her cute, doesn’t mean anything. Not that I go back to see her once a week or anything since that day. Enemies are still enemies. Opponents are still opponents. A cute girl isn’t going to change that. I need to win the trophy as my big bang out of highschool you know?’

 

Chaeyeon gave you a look. A look you knew very well that said I don’t believe you. 

 

‘Whatever you say Kura, whatever you say.’

 

The bell rang signalling the end of the time that was allocated for clubs. Everyone had rushed to pack their school bags before making their way out of the debate club room. Everyone waited for Chaeyeon to lock up the room before making their way out of the school. All of you were talking about mundane things - things about school and Yujin's pet dog named Azzo. All six of you boarded the train while listening to Yena throwing taunts at how her two dogs were cuter. You found yourself tuning in when Yena’s question had sparked some interest from you. 

 

‘So how did you name your dog anyway?’

 

‘Huh? What do you mean?’

 

‘Azzo’s name. The whole play on words with your last name?’

 

‘Oh! That! We had a lot of suggestions actually - from literally random google searches to asking people for suggestions.’

 

‘Yeah, like dude, Azzo is such a smart name and you would never be the one to come up with something so smart. So, who named your dog?’

 

‘I did!’

 

‘NO! I meant the mastermind - the god-given talent of a working brain behind the name Azzo. You’re definitely not it - no offence Yujinnie.’

 

‘You-’

 

‘Guys, we’re in public so if you’d like to not be so loud, that would be great’ piped up Chaeyeon as she gave them a side glance.

 

‘Sorry! Anyways, as I was saying, that’s so rude of you. But I get it. My brain froze after thinking of a few names but they were honestly not so cute. In fact a very special someone gave me that name suggestion.’

 

‘Oh?! WHO!? IS IT THE CUTE PUPPY GIRL WITH PINK HAIR FROM FLOVER?!?!?!’

 

‘What? NO! It’s NOT Jiheon. Her suggestions were worse than my own. It’s my other childhood friend!’

 

‘Oh. The model-like, bunny looking pretty friend?’

 

‘Uh, yeah. Her.’ answered Yujin as you watched her face starting to grow pink. 

 

You wanted to join in but before you could, the doors opened to Yujin’s station and she quickly bid you all goodbye and ran out. As the train doors closed, the remaining group of five looked out the train windows, only to see a smiley Yujin walk up to a tall girl who was leaning against a nearby pillar on the platform. The girl who was waiting for Yujin was gorgeous - with long flowing black hair and had model-like proportions that everyone would envy. 

 

This must be that model-like, bunny looking pretty friend that Yena had mentioned…?

 

As Yujin approached her, the tall girl put her phone back into her skirt pocket and shot Yujin a gentle smile. The train doors had closed and started to move further away from the platform. As the train moved, the sight everyone saw had caused everyone to pause what they were doing. All of you had your eyes bulging out of their sockets as everyone watched Yujin awkwardly scratched her head and walked side by side with the tall girl. They were walking closer towards the exit of the platform and had moved to walk closer to each other, until the model-like girl had subtly reached out and joined their hands together. You all watched as Yujin turned to look at her friend with a huge grin on her face while the other girl looked down towards the floor, clearly a little embarrassed at her actions.

 

‘Yo...did y’all see that or am I going blind?’ Yena breathed out with her jaw hanging loosely.

 

***

 

The big day arrived. The whole team was told the day prior to wait outside the closest train station to WIZ High. In your case, you walked to the station and caught the train - a straightforward and simple 20 minute ride. You managed to get to the place that was supposed to be the meeting point early. A good half an hour early. So you decided to fill your stomach with some bread for breakfast. You got in line for a nearby fast food chain and tried to wrack your brain for any good options. You usually have breakfast at home, but you were a little too nervous and ended up sleeping late. And of course, that resulted in your slightly frantic morning when you misread the alarm clock that sat innocently next to your bed. You must’ve taken too long staring at the menu while you were in line because the next thing you knew, someone had offered you help.    

 

‘Hey, do you need help or something?’ asked a soft voice next to you. 

 

You turned to your right only to see two gorgeous girls looking back at you. One wore a gentle smile on her face while the other had a blank expression on her face. You hate how your brain instantly recognised the girl who spoke to you and you suddenly couldn’t hear anything but the loud thumps your heart produced. 

 

‘You know it’s rude to stare...if you don’t need it, you can just let us know,’ said the girl with the blank expression. You watched as she tapped the girl who was smiling and told her that they didn’t have much time. 

 

‘Are you ordering? If you aren’t, would it be okay if my sister and I go first seeing as we will be late for school soon?’ said the girl who caused your heart to beat irregularly so early in the morning. 

 

You shook your head and gestured for her to go in front. She shot you a grateful smile while her sister nodded at you, before the latter was dragged to go and purchase their breakfast. 

 

‘Min, I want the usual!’ 

 

She nodded before speaking to the staff in front of her. You found yourself unknowingly listening in. It was definitely creepy or strange and you are aware of it. Though you can’t help but justify yourself with the whole ‘I’ll get breakfast ideas from her, nothing else’. 

 

You were so strange. Somehow, you ended up buying the same thing as what you heard from the girl’s order. After purchasing the bread, you quietly walked back to the spot you were supposed to wait at. As you stood there, slowly munching your bread, you surveyed your surroundings. Your grandma had always said the sky was a good indicator on how things would go for the day. There was a light sprinkle of rain but you’re dead set on the mindset of not letting the weather determine the outcome of your debate finals. You’re going to win this no matter what. You promised Chaeyeon and yourself that the team is going to win and you’re going to graduate out of high school with a mark on the school’s history. Your pondering thoughts shattered when a head suddenly popped into your vision and the person proceeded to yell in your face.  

 

‘ANDDDD GOOD MORNING TO YOU OH LITTLE PINK FLOWER OF SPRING!!!’

 

‘Can you be ANY louder, Choi?!’ you groaned as you pushed her face out of the way of your view. 

 

‘Hey, I gotta somehow let the nervous energy out before I piss myself and ruin the debate,’ shrugged Yena as she kept swaying herself side by side. Watching her started to make you really dizzy. You were about to tell her off when your saviour came in the guise of your childhood friend. 

 

‘Now, now guys. Let’s all have our spirits up and get this trophy! The two of you can argue later. Kura, are you nervous?’

 

A simultaneous yes and no was shot back. You’re pretty sure you said no, so where did the yes come from? You turned to the culprit and low-and-behold, Choi Yena was looking at you with the biggest, most annoying grin on her face. 

 

‘Me? Please, Miyawaki Sakura is not a weak person. So don’t go assuming that I’m nervous,’ you shot at the duck.

 

‘If you’re not nervous, then how would you like to explain why you’re here so early? Plus you’re doing that hand scratching thing that you do when you’re nervous!’

 

‘I-’

 

Looking down, you could see your hand was indeed doing the scratching movement unconsciously. Knowing you lost the argument, you turned to walk out of the station. You were never one to back down from an argument unless you know you lost. Your ears have gone red as you hear the rest of your debate team tease you from behind.

 

Sometimes, I really don’t like how these ears betray me.... 

 

***    

 

‘Welcome everyone - teachers and students! Oh, and of course the judge panel from Flover Academy. I’m your host, time keeper and...everything really, for today. Yuqi’s the name!’

 

There weren't a lot of people in the room - a good 20 maybe? It was silent until a loud slap could be heard cutting through it. You turned to look at the source, only to see the opposition’s debate team president, Eunbi, have her head buried in the hand on her face. 

 

You couldn’t stop the small smile spreading on your face. You’re not sure if it’s because you’ve been hanging out with Chaeyeon, Yujin and Yena (oh god, especially Yena) that your sense of humor has been reduced to slap-stick comedy. You honestly found the facepalm funny. Chaeyeon had introduced the other school’s debate club president (and school council president) to you one summer and you three got along quite well. So you can only pity your poor friend. Poor president Eunbi. You know exactly how she felt because of a certain duck. You took a quick glance at the people you would be up against. You weren’t too surprised to see Minjoo there as you did notice her debate notes with her name neatly scrawled at the top right corner during that one time she left it behind in the library. To your surprise, you saw Yujin’s train station model girl. What the heck was she doing here? She definitely didn’t look like the type to debate. If anything, she looked more like a cheerleader. You could also see a hamster-like girl whispering not so subtly to a very familiar blank faced girl. You tried to listen in, but had only managed to catch the end of the conversation. Something about ‘didn’t she have a script?’. But the shrug was all you needed to know that this Yuqi girl is just naturally a gifted mc. Or an entertainer? You’re not sure what she is but...wait. Why in the world does the longer you listen to her talk, the more she resembles Yena?

 

God forbid two and a half Yena’s here please...One is already a handful and Yujin is in the middle of being Yena-fied...my poor baby, I’m sorry mom hasn’t done a good job in raising you

 

‘May the participants of this debate competition please come and take a seat at the tables? WIZ High on the left and Violeta High on the right?’

 

You stood up and moved to the indicated seats. You could feel your hands being a little clammy but you let nothing on your face betray how you felt. 

 

This is it Sakura! You got this. Make them proud!

 

Once you’re comfortably seated, you look at Yuqi as she takes an envelope from the judge panel. You could feel someone’s stare on you but you’re not sure who. You were so nervous, you didn’t bother checking either. But you do know it came from somewhere opposite you. And that somehow made you even more nervous.     

 

‘In my hands is the 2021 debate final’s topic. And boy am I nervous even though I’m not even the one doing the debating! Also, props to WIZ High staff for today! Love it when I get asked to voluntarily miss classes. Ma- I feel like I’m announcing the Oscars!’ exclaimed Yuqi. 

 

‘Song Yuqi, if you don’t get on with it-’

 

‘Yes, yes! Sorry Prez!’ 

 

Clearing , she opened the envelope and read out the topic that will be used for this debate competition in the most dramatic voice you have heard.  

 

‘This year’s topic is...definitely something worth noting. Not just for us, but for adults too! So any single teachers here today, y’all gotta listen in on this one! Yo, can I get a drum roll please?’

 

The enthusiastic audience who were captured by Yuqi’s easygoing nature immediately softly tapped the tables in front of them. 

 

‘Ah thanks, thanks. It really does feel like the Oscars now. Ahem, anyways. On WIZ High’s side, we have Yuri, Minjoo, Wonyoung and Chaewon. On Violet High’s side, we have Sakura, Yena, Yujin and Hitomi. The topic for this year’s debate finals is: ‘Is it better to have loved and lost?’. WIZ High will be on the affirmative side while Violeta High will be on the negative side. You have 10 minutes to come up with some, hopefully good, points. Good luck guys and LET’S GET THIS BREAD!!!!’ 

 

It was definitely not a topic you would have imagined coming up from an interschool debate competition. You’re not too sure whether you should count yourself lucky or not. Unlucky that you’re debating on such an odd topic that is honestly not conventional, or lucky that your view on love and relationships are all screwed over which makes it easier for you to pull out points from your pockets? You’ve got to thank your parents for that. Both had unfortunately passed away in your second year of highschool, leaving you on your own while your grandparents had visited occasionally.    

 

The debate was heated and you guess your pessimistic outlook is really fueling your arguments. As announced previously, Yuri - the cute, hamster-like girl with a beautiful husky voice was the first speaker. From her arguments, you could tell that she was hopeful. Hopeful for a love to happen to her. You shook your head subtly, trying to not pity the poor girl as you personally know, reality is not so forgiving. When it was your turn, you stood up and delivered your counter arguments. You watched as Yuri deflated slightly at the jabs you were returning to her as Hitomi fed you points that countered the points Yuri made. You had then delivered your point of view.

 

‘It’s better to not have loved at all. Why would you go through the pain of losing someone after giving your all? Is there any guarantee that the other person would never leave you? Love is fragile, but humans are even more so. Emotions are even worse. Also, if you can’t rely on yourself then what is the point of relying on someone else? You should be taking care of yourself first before dealing with such a useless thing.’

 

***

 

Your last high-school debate had come to an end. You could tell just exactly what type of person the others were, based on the points that they made. It so happens that the conclusion you have made on Minjoo seemed like she was the hopeless-romantic type. 

 

Unfortunately, the announcement of the final winner would be next week. Schools just love to keep everyone on their toes, huh? The three schools were given time to mingle with each other while the adults had discussed their views and made sure the paperwork for each school was fully completed.

 

On the right, you could see Yujin walked up to the model-like girl (whom you’ve come to know as Wonyoung) and gave her a hug. The puppy-like girl had wrapped her arms around the bunny-like girl’s waist and nuzzled her face into Wonyoung’s neck. While Wonyoung had stood there with a fond smile on her face, an arm around Yujin’s waist and the other was softly patting Yujin’s head. The two were honestly adorable, but you could definitely relate to poor Jiheon on the side trying not to gag at her two friends being clingy. You turned to your left, only to see Yena walking up to MC Yuqi and was pleasantly surprised to learn that they knew each other.  

 

‘Hey Yuqi, your MC-ing was amazing!’ said Yena as she went up to high-five the said MC. 

 

‘Hey duck, long time no see! Haha, just the usual you know. Gotta take every opportunity to skip classes!’

 

‘See? This is why we are partners in crime!’

 

That’s probably why you found them so similar...

 

You tune out of the conversation and proceed to walk out of the room. You were a little thirsty so you went out to buy a drink at the vending machine you’ve walked past on your way. You’re proud of your memorising skills - it was handy for situations like this and to of course, remember what your opposition says. 

 

You sighed as your mind wandered off. The previous nerves had dissipated and you were left pondering about the points that were made during the debate. It seems that some of the points that were said were worth thinking about over and over again. You were taken out of your train of thoughts when the vending machine made a thud sound, signalling that your drink had landed in the compartment. You bent down to pick it up and open the bottle of the drink. You walked with your head down towards the direction of the bench a little away from the vending machine, only to stop when a voice called out to you.  

 

‘Hey there,’ said a very familiar face. 

 

You looked up and your eyes widened as you could feel yourself stiffen. Your body doesn’t seem to want to listen to you at all. You were frozen in front of Kim Minjoo, also known as the princess in WIZ High. And the gorgeous library girl who nearly broke your leg with a book that one fateful summer.  

 

‘I’m not sure if you caught my name before, when Yuqi was saying it...but I’m Minjoo. The girl you saw this morning is Hyewon, my sister.’

 

‘I see.’ 

 

You don’t. You’re pretty sure you have no clue what you’re supposed to reply with either so you blurted out the first thing that sounded coherent in your head. You’re not very sure why she was suddenly trying to...clarify...who exactly the girl that was with her this morning was. But you guess that’s probably a way for her to start the conversation.  

 

‘I’m-’

 

‘Miyawaki Sakura, third-year Japanese student in Violeta High. Also the debate team’s leader and President Chaeyeon’s childhood friend? I know.’

 

‘Y-you do?’

 

‘Mhm,’ Minjoo confirmed as she took another sip of her ice tea that she seemed to have produced out of nowhere. ‘I’ve...done my research. I have really reliable intel too so that’s a great bonus for me.’

 

Uh…what intel is she on about…? How the heck does she seem to know so much about you? You were starting to feel a little creeped out but the kind smile on her face is making you oddly comfortable. Like she definitely didn’t just spill out information about you that a stranger wouldn’t have known unless they personally know you. Your attention had snapped back to her when she asked you an odd question. 

 

‘How did you think about the competition? Have your thoughts on the topic changed?’ 

 

‘The competition was...okay I guess. I do hope we win so I can bring the trophy back to our school and I’d be able to graduate with a bang. Though I still stand by what I said during the competition,’ you shrugged as you tried to play off the nerves that had suddenly returned. ‘It’s better to not have loved at all.’

 

‘Really?’

 

‘Yes. I mean the points I made, Minjoo.’

 

‘I mean mine too you know...’ you watched as she stood in front of you and leaned a little closer.

 

Woah...you’re a little too close to my heart doesn’t seem to want to stop going so fast 

 

‘I’m going to change your mind about love, with no intention on the lost part,’ Minjoo said with a smile on her face. ‘I can also assure you that you’d definitely win something to bring back with you.’ 

 

She leaned in and kissed you dangerously close to your lips. You couldn’t stop the blood rushing inside you. The spot she had kissed was tingling and you could feel the heat radiating off both your face and ears as you stood there frozen. Your eyes wide open as you look at the girl that had a faint dust of pink on her cheeks. 

 

‘My very reliable source had told me some interesting things about you. I’ll message you later tonight okay? You better reply or I won’t hesitate to ask my informant for more info!’ she said with a grin on her face. The dimple on her cheek showing itself made you so damn weak. God, she can ask you for anything and you’d give it to her. It’s crazy what she could do to you. 

 

‘I-...o-okay...’ you stuttered as you watched her walk back towards the debate room. You couldn’t move. What just happened? Was it real?! You sat there, a little dazed from your not-crush giving you a kiss on the cheek. But you were scared out of your skin when someone stood a little closer to you from behind and spoke. 

 

‘Woah she’s pretty confident. Anyways, do you want to fill me in from the beginning? I’ve only been here just as you started your conversation about the competition. If not, that’s okay too! I’ll just have to force it out of you,’ said Chaeyeon casually as she took another sip of the can of soda in her hand.

 

‘CHAEYEON!?!?!?’

 

‘What? Don’t look at me like that. The intel isn’t me by the way. I won’t sell you out to Eunbi like that. It’s probably Yujin seeing as she’s pretty whipped for her childhood friend.’

 

‘YOU???? SHE???? WAIT- WHAT?!?!’

 

***