Messy Beds

Clean Break
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Valentine’s Day

 

Of all the days.

 

It is a night that is supposed to have Dahyun get over her douchebag of an ex, a night where she is finally gonna check out some single ladies and/or gentlemen around the bar. Good thing Momo’s there to check up on her. Yet, Momo has some issues she needs to deal with regarding her still unofficial girlfriend so Dahyun was left with Nayeon. 

 

Well, Nayeon is one of the people she met when she moved into apartment 4D. Nayeon, a full-time marketer and a full-time flirt, together with her best friend since highschool Momo, the bartender, has been living in the loft for years, sharing food, watching weekly movies, and the occasional True Korean (which, up to this day, only they could play). Just a few months back too, Jeongyeon also came back from her international trip after being an import player in the Latvian Basketball league. And a week before Jeongyeon came back, Dahyun came into view after seeing a craigslist ad looking for a new tenant in the apartment. 

 

The unit itself is huge. Probably the biggest in the building. Originally built for only three people, Nayeon, Momo, and Jeongyeon were able to hide the fact that there is another tenant in there now. It has a kitchen, three small rooms, with one room originally designed to be a library, yet Nayeon has chosen it as her own. Dahyun’s and Momo’s room are in front of each other across the hallway and Jeongyeon’s room adjacent to theirs. Nayeon’s room on the other hand is near the kitchen area. 

 

It’s not perfect. But it’s what they call home. 

 

From time to time, Dahyun’s best friend, Jihyo, drops by to check up on her after the break-up, and basically because she’s the closest to a family she has in this city. The first time Jihyo visited, all three girls ogled at the beautiful woman in front of them, particularly Nayeon who had her bad puns and lame pick-up lines obviously trashed by Jihyo. 

 

-

 

“Is it hot in here or what? Maybe you wanna take that dress off baby. I’ll help you,” Nayeon says with a wink.

 

Jihyo plainly looks at her, not even bothered about the words she just heard. “Please don’t say that again. Please don’t embarrass yourself in front of your friends.” 

 

-

 

Jihyo is definitely no slob herself in comparison to the inhabitants of the apartment. Travelling to the state after finishing high school, she found a way to make ends meet. Eventually, she was discovered by a manager looking for a freelance model, usually for car shows and clothing brands. She lives a few minutes away from the apartment, together with her other model friends. 

Meanwhile, ever since Dahyun moved in, she became real close with the others, with Nayeon being her wingwoman most of the time. Nayeon was the first to teach her how to move on, and how to flirt again, to learn the basics of being a real y mofo (Nayeon’s words. She had to put $50 in the Douchebag Jar because of that), and is also her primary emotional support. It’s as plain as that. Though Nayeon attempted to flirt with Dahyun once, it didn’t progress because, well, they just aren’t that type of people. 

 

And so with that level of friendship, and with Dahyun needing a lift for her and her date (for what Dahyun believes is a one-night stand that will help her move on better) she picked up from the bar, Nayeon is left in the car in front of Dahyun’s date’s place, cautious as hell as she believes in the concept of “stranger danger.”. 

 

Her phone buzzes as she hums to Defying Gravity. 

 

“What the hell are you doing there? Dahyun told you to go home. She’ll be fine,” Jihyo scolds her over the phone.

 

“You have no idea which part of the city we are right now and I’d rather stay here than decide to ride out and get myself mugged. I’ll stay for the night. Probably,” she plainly replies. “Also, Dahyun does not have a ride home and, well, this place does not seem to be one frequented by cabs late at night.”

 

Jihyo sighs out loud, obviously frustrated at the answer she heard. “Come on. Don’t be a doofus. Leave the car with Dahyun and I’ll pick you up, sounds good?”

 

-

 

Dahyun gets home at 2 in the morning, with Jeongyeon opening the door for her. Both of them looked oddly surprised at the sight of each other.

 

“I thought you went home with that guy earlier?” Jeongyeon asks the smaller woman who frowned as she planted her bag on the side of the door. 

 

“Oh well. He had some issues. Totally not in my taste. We just watched Planet of the Apes, ate tacos, and, well, his ex showed up. I even helped him get back with her! Can you believe it?” Dahyun is obviously frustrated. “You? What are YOU doing here, little miss? Aren’t you supposed to be out on a date with Mina?” 

 

“Oh, well.. Uhh, how am I gonna put this? Uhh. We were supposed to go out but her boss called her in for some extra hours at work so we decided to just have it some other time. It’s cool though. More time for me to just chill in the loft. There’s leftover pizza in the fridge if you’re hungry,” Jeongyeon says as she turns her back towards her room, leaving Dahyun to close the door. 

 

She makes her way to the kitchen to get something to drink when Nayeon bursts out of her room, top obviously disheveled and her bottom lip a bit swollen. 

“Oh, Dahyun!” Nayeon says out of surprise, posing an awkward smile. “Uhm.. you’re home early! I thought you’re gonna sleep over at that guy’s house?” 

 

“Well, it didn’t work out so I just went home,” Dahyun says as she fishes the car keys from her pocket. “Thanks for the ride though. I pumped some gas on it on my way.” 

 

“O-Oh! No worries! Glad to be of help. But anyway, if it didn’t work with that guy tonight, maybe it’s just not it,” Nayeon straightens herself up as she opens her arms for her friend. “Come on. It’s okay.” 

 

Dahyun happily obliges the hug and accidentally takes a full whiff of Nayeon’s shoulder. 

“Wow. You smell good!” 

 

“Ahh! The essence of ilang-ilang flower and some chamomile. Really a perfect combination,” Nayeon responds. As she lets go of Dahyun, she gently bumps the girl’s arm, the way she does whenever she gives her signature words of advice. 

 

“Don’t overthink it.” 

 

“Thank you, Yeonnie. Now go back in there. Looks like someone’s waiting for you.” Dahyun says, dismissing the other girl as she grabs a glass from the pantry. Nayeon only chuckles as she gets back to her room as quickly as she went out.

 

-

 

“What a crazy night, Jihyo,” Dahyun tells

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter