(1)

Making the Most of It

 

To be honest, Nayeon hated making the milk run. She also hated that that's what you call it even when what you're getting has nothing to do with milk. It always came a day late and she was usually more than a dollar short. So this fun trip most of the time involved a digression to the atm. Sure she could just pay with her card, but she was weird about using physical currency when the cost was under 20 bucks. 

It would be nice if her roommates could just do the groceries at a decent time, and cut the hassle of making blue moon trips to the store for single items.

But they were all working on theses,  and studying for exams, and whatever else it is grad students are supposed to be doing. Plus, she can't harp on them without looping herself into her grievance. 

It regardless, though. 

So here she was, down the street at Nardon's, supporting her local business ('cause Jeong insists). Nayeon walked past the entrance nodding a greeting to the greeter by the door and headed straight for the ramen. This was literally all she needed and she took a moment to wallow in her frustrations before moving over to the register. 

It's not like she minded being out, but this trip just felt so frivolous, plus it was 81 degrees out, plus she had a 50-page paper to start, plus Jihyo said she'd get more food at the end of the week, plus … plus she wasn't even hungry anymore. 

By the time she reached the register, her mood had hit sub-zero and she could barely manage a neutral face.

Nayeon grumbled, "just this," to the cashier, and placed the package on the belt. Then she pulled a 20 from her purse. 

"Rough day?" A soft lilting voice asks. Nayeon sighed, resigned to verbal communication. But as she finally met the cashier's eyes, she felt like the floor give way beneath her feet, sending her into a free fall like no other.

Now Nayeon's a pretty sappy romantic. But she also believed that there was a time and place for everything. With that said, whenever Nayeon was in a mood like the one not even three seconds ago, it took significant dopamine stimulators to change her feelings. 

But this? This is a first. 

Because never in her life has Nayeon gone from wanting to slap the next person she saw, to waxing poetic in her diary, like a 6th grade thespian. 

Nayeon felt the pit open up in her stomach like a tiger's yawn. Fierce and easily misrepresented for her feelings. 

The woman in front of her was beautiful, not in the way pretty people are beautiful, more like her aura exudes beauty. Something that was soul-deep. Nayeon could tell this person had a beautiful soul.

That, or she was too caught up in the woman's physical beauty, 'cause make no mistake. She was drop-dead gorgeous. In fact, Nayeon was feeling a little lightheaded. 

The woman had a nice face with soft features that suggested she wasn't one to sweat the small stuff. An implication that was aided by her relaxed shoulders and loose posture. As if she'd never had a bad day in her life. This cool composure added leagues to her attractiveness, and Nayeon wanted to know her for that alone.

To tie this unreal being all together was a flow of dark blue hair set in waves that reached the cashier's shoulder. Her appearance had Nayeon drooling in her mind and she wiped her sleeve across just in case.

The cashier's head tilt was barely perceptible, but then she pursued her lips in cute confusion and Nayeon's heart kick-started. 

Though the cool confidence originally had Nayeon believing this cashier to be more chic and y, the face she's making was too adorable. And Nayeon could see it now. The pink heart stickers decorating her space, her barbie phone cover beside the monitor by the register. Her sky blue backpack bedazzled and dripping quaint attachables like mini ice cream cones and heart keychains. She was definitely a cutie.

Still, her personal belongings and her style of dress were at war with each other. They just gave off two completely different vibes. This only served to make Nayeon more intrigued. 

It took Nayeon a minute to realize that she was staring and that the cute/mysterious cashier had spoken.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"It's 6.27," The cashier says. 

She was no longer meeting Nayeon's eyes and she looked a little uncomfortable. 

Nayeon internally cursed herself for making it awkward and handed over her money. The cashier quickly added her bill to the register and began counting her change. She moved efficiently, with purpose. The money was recounted then shoved into Nayeon's hand before she could form a single thought. 

But this was it. The end of their exchange. Nayeon had no reason to stay, in fact, custom dictated that she leave. Her service was completed now she had to walk out of the store and leave behind this magnificent being, she'd most likely never find another of or ever see again. 

But there was still a chance, wasn't there? There was still hope?

And it wasn't like anyone was waiting to check out. The few people that were there, were busy minding their own business. Shopping for what they needed. Nayeon had time. 

It had been 30 seconds and she still hadn't moved or said anything. Now the cashier was looking at her again in that confused way. Except there was a slight undertone of annoyance. Nayeon was loath to admit that she was on the edge of becoming a nuisance and that most people don't want to get hit up by some random while on the job. But damn if Nayeon wasn't a stunner herself, even in loose sweats and a ponytail. Especially so. And damn if she couldn't brighten anyone's day. 

This weird trance this cashier put her in had messed with her game and the funk she was in earlier made this whole thing bad timing.

But she was still Im-mother-ing-Nayeon. Being a little off was not going to stop her from getting the number of a pretty girl. 

"Hey, Momo, you wanna break for lunch now? I can take over the register."

"Thanks, Chaeng."

A short girl with a short bob walked up and high-fived the cashier--Momo-- like she's tagging her out of a race. They smile warmly at each other before this 'Chaeng' takes Momo's place, and Nayeon's chances gather her stuff, walk back to a door marked employees only, and disappear behind it. Nayeon felt her mood begin to sink again. 

Her jaw feathered as she stared daggers at the door as if it insulted her personally. 

"Um, can I help you?" 

Nayeon trained her glare on the girl whose fault all of this was in the first place, snatched up her ramen, and crumpled her change in a death grip.

Chaeng flinched under Nayeon's scrutiny, but Nayeon just her heels and left. 

She was more annoyed with herself than anything at the missed opportunity, but she knew where Momo worked now. More importantly, she knew that Momo existed. 

That thought put a pep in her step, and for the second time, she felt her mood being altered without her permission. She wasn't sure how she felt about that just yet, but she did prefer being in a good mood. She let thoughts of how cute a name Momo was, and if it was just a nickname, carry her home.

Nayeon stopped about a block from her apartment building when she realized she was still carrying her change in her hand. She moved to put it back in her purse when she noticed something was off. She went over a quick checklist to make sure she wasn't forgetting anything. She had her food, she had her purse and all her cards. She looked at the change that Momo gave her. That seemed to be the source of her unease. 

How much did the ramen cost? That's when it hit her.

Ah. She's 10 dollars short.