The High and the Low

Murder to the Mind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When you thought about all the things that led you to get to know Byun Baekhyun, you would say it was all a luscious coincidence.

Actually, scratch that luscious part out. That wasn’t true. 

Ok, it was luscious maybe, not a coincidence though.

In fact, it was far from a coincidence. And it was luscious up to a certain point only.

Becoming the centre of the attention of the school’s greatest basketball player, the school’s playboy and also of your senior that happened to have fame almost equal to the one of an idol, it was anything but comfortable for someone like you; for someone who liked their peace, silence and getting their homework and assignments done for each week of the semester.

As much as you liked to study, there were times when you simply didn’t enjoy it - those were the times you had a miniscule wish you had more friends as you looked out of your dorm window, the university students grouping up to go downtown to have fun. 

“You need to have some fun in life,” reminded your roommate, but you merely let out a hum, not tearing your gaze away from the cheerful people. There he would be, simply always. The one around whom every person stood, the creator of the waves of laughter, the one who teased everyone and got an earful back in return, but all in good spirits.

To your huge surprise, you even spotted him talking to the coldest girl known on campus - Shin Mina. You heard some gossip from your roommate about how the Byun Baekhyun, the one who always got whatever he wanted, kept being rejected by her until - you remember clearly - he was seducing her in the library, her flirtatious, reciprocating smirk so visible it could blind even the blind one. Their heads were basically connected, discussing something seemingly important, since Byun Baekhyun could barely take his eyes off of her. They were definitely having something together.

“You know you are worse than Shin Mina, right?” your roommate would pipe in when you whispered to her your discovery.

“What does that mean,” you only mumbled, rolling your eyes. “I’m nothing like Shin Mina.” And, I don’t have the campus sweetheart following me everywhere I go, you added in your mind.

Your roommate only scoffed, shaking her head in disbelief as if she just heard the most bizarre news of her life.

But it was all true. You weren’t sure what she was trying to say; yes, you liked to keep to yourself, only because people’s matters made you tired, out all your energy like a deflating balloon; and yes, you liked to study. It almost seemed like you were one of the very few people who enjoyed their major and the time you spent on educating yourself in your chosen field. What was wrong with that?

“Just saying. If there are girls on this campus who are unreachable it would be you and Shin Mina, but you’re worse. You ignore everyone who tries to make a move on you,” added your roommate, her posture slumped over her laptop, her glasses low on her nose as she sported the expression of the most bored person on campus.

“That’s not true,” you rebuked, turning to look at her curved back.

She let out a slight laugh that was slightly dishonest. “Right. You have rejected more guys than girls Byun Baekhyun slept with. And that’s a LOT.”

“Oh, here we go again,” you groaned, “that’s nonsense. None of the guys were interesting to me, that’s all.” You plopped down on your bed unceremoniously, letting out another sigh. “So I’m picky, what can I do?”

“At this rate you won’t find anyone,” were her last words.

Shrugging, you let your shoulders drop, showing lack of care. So what if you wouldn’t? Were men something that gave you value? Certainly not. Were men something you couldn’t live without? Pff, certainly not. Men were, by default, quite the exact opposite of something you would want to have something to do with. All of them. Each of them. Even Byun Baekhyun, the sweetheart.

: :

So, again, what exactly led you to have Byun Baekhyun follow you everywhere you went? Why was he tailing you? And- most of all, why was he the one picking you up instead of your friend?!

“Sorry, Chanyeol couldn’t make it,” winked Byun Baekhyun smoothly from behind his steering wheel. He had much of a simpler car than one would have thought, and it was a pleasant surprise on your side but you would never admit that.

You frowned, looking at him through the rolled down window of the passenger seat. “Well, he didn’t tell me anything.”

“That’s because he is so busy he couldn’t write to you,” Baekhyun had a simple explanation as he jumped out of his car, making a beeline towards your frozen figure at the curb. “Let me help you with the heavy luggage, gorgeous.” And you still stood frozen when he grabbed the handle of your suitcase and went to the back of his car.

Snapping out of your shock, your frown deepened when you saw Chanyeol’s fresh instagram stories about enjoying his day in, your grip tightening around your smartphone.

What the-

“Which dorm is it again?” asked Baekhyun nonchalantly as he was loading in your bags, his muscles straining every time he lifted the heavy baggage. You swallowed and shook your head fast.

“Err, Harmony Dorms,” you muttered, pursing your  lips at him.

He threw you a thankful smile and he straightened up, finished with loading the baggage. The trunk clicked shut. “So, hop in, beautiful.”

You cringed, hating the sound of his darn pet names, pushing the flirtiness on you. As you sat in his car, slowly roaming through the streets of your huge campus, you wondered why would he even bother to do this for you - or for Chanyeol. And, why wouldn’t he just save the darn flirtiness for those who wanted it? You concluded he was like that to anything that had s.

“Hopefully your dorms are harmonic enough, eh?” he told you as he leaned over the steering wheel, staring up at the shabby building that was your future home for the next four months.

You shrugged, undoing your belt, ready to leave the car when the man spoke up again, making you turn back and look at him.

“Actually, wanna grab some lunch? I’m starving,” he said with a sheepish smile.

You pressed your lips together before rolling them in, contemplating. “Uh, I’m kinda… erm, in a hurry?”

Baekhyun smirked. “Well, you do owe me, don’t you?”

Excuse you? “Well, that is between you and Chanyeol.”

“Well, I did pack all of your stuff into my car and, of course, we have to take it up to your room. And-“ he wiggled his eyebrows, “you’re a terrible liar. You were supposed to get lunch with Chanyeol after moving.”

Your lips parted, heat immediately reddening your cheeks in embarrassment from being caught. So that was what happened when one didn’t socialize enough - they wouldn’t be able to say even the smallest lie. Que you.

“I’m just-“

“C’mon, it’s just one lunch. Nothing else,” he pressed.

And that was really how you found yourself in Byun Baekhyun’s presence ever since. He seemed to be in your step all the time until he made you come to one of his basketball practices and you accidentally (or not?) saw him changing his jersey— goodness-lord-sweet-gee that was a sight that made your heart jump painfully. Or was it because he made eye contact with you right after, once again successfully catching you doing something you’d kill for him not to know? Probably.

You found yourself laughing more often than not.

The first huge red glad signaling you might have been falling for him was when you forgot to prepare for an assignment in time. You always gave yourself enough time to revise, prepare materials and write the reports, but this time you found yourself nodding and agreeing to Baekhyun’s suggestions, which led you to carelessly wave your hand at the awaiting school work. 

With the very much unexpected  attention of Baekhyun, came the very much unwanted attention of the school itself. People were staring whenever the two of you met in the park, took a small walk between classes or just sat in the cafes, chatting. Baekhyun was a charmer that ended up weaving his way into your tender heart, as much as you tried to suppress it in the beginning. Maybe it was the honest glint of his eyes that told you you wouldn’t be a laughing stock whose face would be stuck to the tree’s trunk as the main loser of the campus, making everyone who passed by laugh in mock.

“Wanna go for a ride in the evening?” he suggested one day when you met him after his practice. You found yourself panting for air at the sight of him, freshly out of shower, the towel still around his broad shoulders on the Jersey shirt he sported, the sundown looking gorgeous on him in the background.

As in… a date? Instead, you only hummed. The sight of girls whispering, then spotting Shin Mina glaring your way made you lose confidence.

Why was even Shin Mina glaring at you? Would you be the next one to glare at whichever girl Baekhyun decided to flirt with after he was done playing with you?

The spoilt emotions made you a little sick, a little too sad than you wished you’d be. After so many meetings, so much talking with Baekhyun you still seemed to have issues with him. You’d say rightfully so; Baekhyun, however, wasn’t so sure.

“You’re still hesitant around me,” he noted quietly, and stopped by a nearby tree that was unoccupied. He had a calculated, sober stare, as if he had already had a hunch you’d be like this. Almost as if he was used to people doubting him time and time again. Were you too harsh, perhaps?

“Sorry, it’s just that- uh, people keep staring and I just,” you threw your hands up, frustrated with the lack of appropriate vocabulary to name your confused emotions.

“It’s just my reputation.”

You looked up at him, eyes widening at his honest words clearly stating he saw right through you.

He smiled. “I’d know, I’m on the receiving side, aren’t I?” It was a rhetoric question but you still felt like you needed to say something.

“I’m sorry, I don’t want to doubt you, I really don’t, but maybe I’m just looking for a more serious relationship. Not for a fling, not for a play, Baekhyun.” Honestly, before he came around barging into your life with elbows spread wide you weren’t even looking for any kind of relationship. You weren’t seeking any opportunities for socializing, but meeting him, getting to know him had moved something inside of you, something that left an excited tingle on the top of your tongue, a sprinkle of happiness and elevation that you could only call life.

“And I’m not looking for someone to play with,” he clarified in a leveled tone. “I-I-I found myself genuinely liking you, and I’d just like to explore this feeling a little more.”

Your heart jumped painfully, his stutter sending the gentlest of breezes your way, making all the tiny butterflies in your tummy come alive as they spread warmth in your veins.

“So what do you say?” he asked in a hopeful tone. The left corner of his lips was curled upwards, his stance casual but still expectant. “A night drive? With me?”

When he saw you still hesitating he added: “It’s a date.”

: :

He had a different car this time. This car was definitely the kind of car you’d imagine him having; a lush black Audi car of which all the signature equipment like belts and lights were shot through with a red, oozing luxury and something you could only dream of having - money.

“Nice car,” you commented when he pressed a button, bringing the sports car to life. “You had quite a … shabby one last time.”

Baekhyun threw you an amused glance before he wheeled the car out of the campus and out on the main road. “Yeah, that was my, uh, auntie’s. I gave her a ride to the hospital and had to pick her up the next day so I just kept the car. Mine was parked at hers.”

You formed an interested o shape with your mouth, nodding. “Is your auntie okay?”

Baekhyun drummed his long fingers against the steering wheel, not quite looking your way despite his eyes roaming around the road ahead wildly. “Ah, yeah, she is great! I mean- as great as one can be when they go to the hospital, right?” he breathed an awkward laugh and you found yourself following along. Right. What a silly question.

“Anyways, would you like to drink something?” Baekhyun perked up, saving the conversation that was steering off to the awkward shores. “We can stop by the Starbucks drive-thru or something.”

You shrugged, smiling. “Sure, why not.”

After getting your sugar-induced latte and Baekhyun his iced americano (it helps me to sleep, he had said), you were driving around Gangnam, an area fairly unknown to you besides the shopping malls, of course.

“This is my father’s business,” he told you sweetly as you passed a bigger car company. Your eyes bulged but Baekhyun continued as if nothing was happening. “Hence I have a good car I guess. I always wanted to work with cars but he insisted I get a degree and then see where that takes me.”

“Really? So you wanted to be a- what is it called, a repairman?”

Baekhyun let out an amused giggle, looking at you for a moment before looking back at the busy road. “Yeah, a car mechanic.”

You pinked, hiding your face behind the huge plastic Starbucks cup. “Yeah, that…”

“So damn cute,” he muttered, still chuckling under his nose. 

You melted a little bit; or a lot. Hearing his laugh, especially because you were the reason behind it, made you super light; so light you could levitate, you could jump gracefully from one cloud to another, reaching the cloud 9 where you currently belonged. You wiggled in your seat, your feet tapping against the clean carpet of the car.

“What will you be when you grow up?” he asked easily, stopping the car by the red light. You had quite the queue in front, which meant you’d be sitting there for a while.

You stole a glance at the basketball player. He was leaning back in his seat, his head now turned to you as his left elbow rested against the window. The countless lights of the luxurious area reflected against his smooth, dewy skin and you had to bite your lip, not wanting to dip too deep in the ocean of his eyes that were so broody, so ready to lure you in.

Maybe you were already drowning though.

“I will probably continue my studies, so nothing is decided yet.”

He let out an appreciative whistle as he gently took off his foot of the break, letting the car gradually move further ahead before pressing on the break again. “You’re so smart. I can totally see that in you, you know? Just the way you work says a lot about your intellect.” When the car was completely still and so was your breathing, he added, looking at you with sincerity. “It’s what I like about you the most. Thank you for letting me in. You won’t regret,” he added breathily and let his hand brush yours that rested on your thigh.

The contact sent sparks flying, sent shock waves down your tummy. You reciprocated the deep stare, and he looked like he could lean in and kiss you right there.

A simple honk of a car stopped him from any furthering.

Yeah, you thought with a lovesick sigh, don’t make me regret choosing you.

: :

One car ride date turned into two, that turned into three and four until you were hanging out in his car all the time. The weekend would roll around and with it would the tires of his car, taking you for a small trip that would end up making both of you laugh, listen to the music loudly, making you more vocal than ever before.

His lips on yours every minute he or you could squeeze in, you’d certainly be liplocked, mouths and tongues entangled in a messy moisture, ragged breathing, loud panting. He would stop the car at a resting area just so he could have you climb into his lap and make out wildly, crazily, so passionately your heart could never learn to keep up with the frenzy. His touch everywhere on your body sent tingles to each nerve ending of yours. 

The more you hung out, the louder the whispers were.

“He’d choose that ice queen? Pfft, as if.”

“What does he see in her? She is so plain and shallow.”

“Shin Mina would be better than her. Shin Mina has at least.”

“What’s gotten into him? He wanted Shin Mina so badly before.”

“What did he even do to get into her ?”

You slammed the locker shut angrily, annoyed with the stupid gossips that had been roaming around as soon as Byun Baekhyun took a hold of your hand on the campus. He was holding your hand all the time and you found it quite official. You never were much of an open business kind of talker, so you took it as an open show off that the both of you were in a relationship.

And you were.

At every basketball game Baekhyun was pointing towards you when he scored, when the team won he’d be looking for you first. And then make out with you in front of everyone.

You were used to the scowls whenever that would happen. The scowl of Shin Mina always left you a little scared but for no valid reasons provided.

“Don’t pay attention to her,” Baekhyun would tell you. “She’s just jealous of what she missed.”

You didn’t know how to interpret his words but you wouldn’t have the time, as he’d push his tongue into your mouth right after.

You weren’t complaining; boy were you not complaining. 

But you were never there for fame; it just felt so nice to be liked by someone like Baekhyun. As much as you didn’t like him in the beginning and found him utterly pretentious, he was now someone that managed to dig up a special place in your heart.

By this point the final party of the semester was in full preparation. However you were sure you wouldn’t be going. You steered from school parties as much as you could, not wanting to hang out with such people that frequented those occasions.

There was one time you went way back in your first semester and since then you swore you wouldn’t go. Those were the moments that triggered you to become your current self; focusing on studying, not bothering to try to get to know others.

Until - guess what - Baekhyun appeared.

“Come to the final party with me,” he whispered into your ear as if telling you a precious secret.

You’d usually decline, politely, with a forced smile; or sometimes without the smile. You were simply not interested.

But Byun Baekhyun just won another huge basketball tournament and his hand was under your shirt, one of your legs hanging over his thigh, his free hand gently holding the outer side of your thigh. A very compromising position. It made you all weak, defenseless and rendered you losing all sense of control.

You let out an airy pant when he drew sensual circles on the skin covering your ribs, cheekily making his way up higher. “I-I don’t go to such places…ah.”

Baekhyun hummed; were you any closer you’d feel the purring of his chest. He was basically a cat, enjoying the view of his food - you - which made him even more excited. Were you losing before the game even started? If Baekhyun decided to do the deed with you, you’d say yes in a heartbeat because, boy, were you frustrated with him - all in a good way, naturally.

 “Why’s that, gorgeous?” he mumbled distractedly when his hand on your thigh dared to slip to the inside of your thigh. Walking his long, crooked fingers to the hem of your shorts, you swore you’d be melting in that moment. What a damn tease he was. To prove that fact to you, he let his lips touch your cheek, spreading the pillows slightly, just enough for you to feel the moist inside of his mouth.

“I just simply don’t go,” you breathed, mewling when he was close to the crotch of the shorts.

“I’d want you to go, though. Accompanying me, your partner,” he replied softly, lips moving against your reddened cheek.

You managed to shake your head, a win for you. “No, Baek, I don’t-” you almost hiccuped when he took a hold of your over the fabric of your bra. His fingers, without consent, slipped inside the opening of your shorts, eager to touch up your most sensitive, most hurting spot.

You moaned, your head rolling back.

“Let’s see for how long you can keep saying no to me,” decided Baekhyun, his middle finger wiggling. “Or how long I can keep saying no to you.”

You wanted to frown, puzzlement clear in the wrinkles of your forehead but there was no time.

Baekhyun was a player; well, a basketball player. Not only that though, and you were reminded very quickly with his fingers and mouth which he put to work expertly. He’d easily get the PhD were there one in a woman seduction. 

He made you feel good. Actually, far, far better than good. He was the epitome of a tease, with a generous reward - or so you thought.

He’d have you in a state of an almost complete fall-apart. Emphasis on almost. Because he wouldn’t give it to you, just like you wouldn’t give it to him.

“Say yes,” he whispered into your ear seductively, his eyes zooming on the small beads of sweat around your hairline and under your lip. “Come with me to the final party.”

You could understand why he’d pressurize. He was the superstar of the school, superstar of the ladies’ bedsheets, too. Well, except yours. And probably Shin Mina’s but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter